Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Also people take it super personally when a critic gives a bad review to something they like or vice versa, the idea that a critic is Iinvalidated because their opinions don't match your own or go agaist historical consensus is asinine.

I see people do this poo poo all the time and it's crazy to me.

"They liked Avengers? Dropped!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ImpAtom posted:

The best critics, I think, enjoy discussing things. They're there to expression their opinion but want to discuss it. Ebert was great for this in that he genuinely had things to say and wanted to say them to you and he had a way with words to go with his critical eye. If you're criticizing just to be snarky, or to call people dumb, or whatever then you're not enjoying discussing things and rarely are able to expand your own knowledge with other's thoughts.
The same could be said about posting. If only more people understood the value of actually talking about games vs the worthlessness of presenting their egos through talking about games. They'd wake up anew like Neo in the human farm tank in the Matrix.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Palpek posted:

The same could be said about posting. If only more people understood the value of actually talking about games vs the worthlessness of presenting their egos through talking about games.

This is a really good, concise, clear sentiment that I agree with 100%. Well said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Also people take it super personally when a critic gives a bad review to something they like or vice versa, the idea that a critic is Iinvalidated because their opinions don't match your own or go agaist historical consensus is asinine.

To bring it back to Roger Ebert, he gave a lot of stone-cold classics poor scores at the time of their releases but you almost never see movie people try and disparage him by pointing out that he gave Garfield and the Jack Black Gulliver's Travels higher score than Blue Velvet and Blade Runner, but gamers still think that pointing out that a website hosted two reviews that gave Imagine Babiez a higher score than God Hand objectively invalidates anything it says over a decade later.
to be fair, the problem with that ign god hand review isn't that they gave it a low score, it's that the review was extremely poorly written and came from a fundamental lack of understanding of what the game was trying to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

To bring it back to Roger Ebert, he gave a lot of stone-cold classics poor scores at the time of their releases but you almost never see movie people try and disparage him by pointing out that he gave Garfield and the Jack Black Gulliver's Travels higher score than Blue Velvet and Blade Runner, but gamers still think that pointing out that a website hosted two reviews that gave Imagine Babiez a higher score than God Hand objectively invalidates anything it says over a decade later.

The God Hand review is an abomination, and only partly because it gave a comically low score to a great game. And when Ebert was alive, I'd sometimes point to him giving completely awful phoned-in children's movies a pass just because of his underestimating the target audience as an example of his weaknesses as a critic. I didn't obsessively make memes about it, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Guy Mann posted:

I think the reason people freak out over lovely reviews more than other media, well just beyond the typical reason of nerds are the worst about things they like, is that there was that brouhaha several years ago where whatever game got like a 70 on metacritic, and the company refused to give the devs their bonuses because of it. So I think that eventually snowballed into people thinking metacritic matters at all, instead of a game company was just being lovely to their employees.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I think the reason people freak out over lovely reviews more than other media, well just beyond the typical reason of nerds are the worst about things they like, is that there was that brouhaha several years ago where whatever game got like a 70 on metacritic, and the company refused to give the devs their bonuses because of it. So I think that eventually snowballed into people thinking metacritic matters at all, instead of a game company was just being lovely to their employees.

Nah, it's been like this forever. Even game companies freak out about low scores going back to the olden days. Rare famously threatened to pull all their ads from Nintendo Power when they gave Battletoads an extremely generous 6/10. And I'd regularly see angry letters from fans of whatever taking issue with the reviews.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Review scores bear so much of the weight despite being the most meaningless part of any review.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Macaluso posted:

I suspect you're thinking of what happened to Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Review scores bear so much of the weight despite being the most meaningless part of any review.

But if you don't have a score system people won't even read your review.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't have proof but I bet most people don't read past the scores in general.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

to be fair, the problem with that ign god hand review isn't that they gave it a low score, it's that the review was extremely poorly written and came from a fundamental lack of understanding of what the game was trying to be.

This response to it shows more nuance and understanding about criticism than both IGN and the detractors of the review often display when discussing it. That said, sometimes you just bounce off a game in every possible way, regardless of whatever praises other people sing for it. God Hand isn't a great game for most people, even for those you would consider totally open to that sort of game.

Ultimately the most important critic to satisfy when playing any game is the one in your own brain. Other critics are important, no doubt, but I think a pretty clear problem with gamers in general is that they are TOO important to us collectively. Even here on SA, we have people dismissing reviews we don't like often for petty reason, or clamoring behind reviews we agree with for positive reinforcement.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I know this is gonna sound pretentious but I've fallen into this trap myself so hopefully it comes off as understanding and not judgement: "Hype" is the closest thing to nerd religion and if you temper it in any way you've committed heresy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

somebody legit wrote a gigantic thesis on jontron this is embarrassing poo poo

https://www.icze4r.org/e/00/jon.html

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The last review I remember getting worked up over was the IGN Double Dragon Neon review, which was also a 3/10, and did the following:

-opened by saying beat-em-ups were an awful genre that was dead for a reason
-got several facts about the combat completely wrong
-got several facts about the history of the series completely wrong
-incorrectly claimed the game had no changes to the classic Double Dragon formula when it was a huge departure in almost every way
-failed to mention any of the game's unique mechanics
-had the reviewer run crying to his colleagues for backup when literally everyone screamed at him in the review

Like.. it wasn't even that he was giving a game I loved and looked forward to for months an incredibly low score based on apparently just hating the genre, he just got so much wrong and was so dismissive in his review, like it was such a huge chore for him to even try to engage with the game and it wasn't even worth the effort for him to look up any of his factually incorrect sweeping claims.

MinibarMatchman posted:

lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MinibarMatchman posted:

quote:

It took me years to realize that I wasn't better than anybody intrinsically. It took me nearly a decade to realize that the racists, sexists, homophobes, even the Neo-Nazis I hated so much, had families, and hopes, and dreams, and feelings.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weird how he didn't realize that the people the neo-nazis hate and want dead also have those things

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Me, as I feebly raise my emaciated arms to ward off another blow from the camp guard: "I know you have a family, hopes, dreams, and feelings."

Edit: I decided to read that and "19 gigabytes of saved Jontron videos" is the new "R'yleh!" I don't think my sanity can take this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So the tl;dr seems to be "neo-Nazis are human too, judge not lest ye be judged :(" ??

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Me, as I feebly raise my emaciated arms to ward off another blow from the camp guard: "I know you have a family, hopes, dreams, and feelings."

Edit: I decided to read that and "19 gigabytes of saved Jontron videos" is the new "R'yleh!" I don't think my sanity can take this.

my favorite line was probably "There are hundreds upon hundreds of millions of people with actual problems in their lives, and you're mad on the Internet. You are not the well-adjusted one here" written with zero self-awareness about a youtube funnyman who is being crucified so we may live

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no seriously the cognitive dissonance there is powerful. like 'saying mean things to jontron is terrible' when people are saying mean things to jontron because he said blacks are genetically predisposed to commit crimes and that the mexicans are plotting to ruin america with their inferior genes. like if saying mean things is always bad then why isn't jontron also bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MinibarMatchman posted:

my favorite line was probably "There are hundreds upon hundreds of millions of people with actual problems in their lives, and you're mad on the Internet. You are not the well-adjusted one here" written with zero self-awareness about a youtube funnyman who is being crucified so we may live

LMAO I'm imaging this person sitting Masterpiece Theater style in front of a bookcase but it's just full of DVD cases hand labeled in sharpie "JONTRON VOL 322" or w/e

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

So the tl;dr seems to be "neo-Nazis are human too, judge not lest ye be judged :(" ??

I had some genius compare my unwillingness to meet nazis halfway with the oppression of homosexuals in the early 1900s.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I mean sometimes reviews are just lovely, not because the reviewer has a different opinion but because it's a bad review with a poor foundation and bad writing. I brought up John Walker's review of Hollow Knight ages ago as an example of a review that maybe has a thesis somewhere in there (Hollow Knight isn't as good as Ori and the Blind Forest, for whatever value that statement has) and couches it in a bunch of meandering, lovely writing and lack of actual good critical examination (for example there are some definite weak spots to Hollow Knight's design that he completely brushes over which I would consider to be important to note in a critical sense, in favor of him complaining about things like how you can't equip every powerup at once). I don't take umbrage with the review because HOW DARE HE INSULT THY FAIR MAIDEN HOLLOW KNIGHT because I don't care nearly that much about the game, it's not a transcendent revelatory experience, but I take umbrage with it because it's poorly written for the sake of John Walker trying to pretend like he's a better writer than he is. I similarly recall there being at least one or two of Ebert's reviews where he flat-out got things about a movie wrong, complaining about things that didn't happen or something, which stood out because most of his body of work wasn't like that but you're still justified in saying "man this is poo poo."

I don't really envy people who decide to review video games for a living (or for a "living") because the average movie is like 2-3 hours and, not to knock film critics, but there's a lot less effort involved on the watcher's part, meanwhile video games can be anywhere from 15-60+ hours worth of content to go through and you have deadlines you have to hit so you can't actually really dig into them as much as you might like, plus you have to layer being a good critic with also being a good video game player or else you wind up with situations like Polygon Plays Doom, or various reviews of Platinum games where it's clear that the person playing the game simply doesn't know what they're doing with a technically demanding, slightly obtuse combat system, which opens up even further arguments about game criticism because should you be reviewing a game for fans of the genre, for Joe Everyman, etc.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I had some genius compare my unwillingness to meet nazis halfway with the oppression of homosexuals in the early 1900s.

lol jesus this whole site is batshit, here have an article about befriending KKK members because "love trumps hate" https://www.icze4r.org/a/20/25.safe.html

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurdiak posted:

He's right in that we should sterilize all nazis

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol jesus this whole site is batshit, here have an article about befriending KKK members because "love trumps hate" https://www.icze4r.org/a/20/25.safe.html
why does he put daryl davis's race in scare quotes

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

tap my mountain posted:

He's right in that we should sterilize all nazis

So we don't think about their families anymore, agreed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/845051252379717632

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL had no idea homosexual people were responsible for almost wiping out an entire race through war and genocide. must have skipped that history lesson

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lurdiak posted:

I heard someone call Helldivers a "strat-em-up" and that's such an accurate term for the game.

Man, I forgot about Helldivers. I should pick that up again for a while. I loved that music they used for the main theme and during evacuations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spring Breakers is really good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

No More Heroes: slash 'em up
Killer 7: nightmare assassin sim
Nier Automata: historical revision action
Resident Evil 7: in-laws survival horror

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MinibarMatchman posted:

Maybe not the best example to use, considering he's actively caused a ton of white supremacists to leave the Klan with that method.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-a7489596.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

No More Heroes: slash 'em up
Killer 7: nightmare assassin sim
Nier Automata: historical revision action
Resident Evil 7: in-laws survival horror

Lollipop Chainsaw/God Hand: Cheese 'Em Up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man, speaking of God Hand, the Mad Midget Five are probably pretty offensive to little people, which is really unfortunate for me because I loving love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeAxxKcqmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0TmwLeUuBw

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey can anyone answer this question: In Super Mario RPG is the only actual missable item the Frog Coin in the castle where you have to jump on Toad's head?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey can anyone answer this question: In Super Mario RPG is the only actual missable item the Frog Coin in the castle where you have to jump on Toad's head?

According to my player's guide, yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn't realize Persona 5 is less then 2 weeks away. A friend on Facebook posted a pic of the english copy that they are playing now. So the American version is out in the wild now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

I said come in! posted:

I didn't realize Persona 5 is less then 2 weeks away. A friend on Facebook posted a pic of the english copy that they are playing now. So the American version is out in the wild now.

Likewise, the new and final Dark Souls 3 DLC is like....four days away.

Yay for working all the time, making the weeks blur into an unrecognizeable mess? Idk either way I am loving pumped

• Locked thread