Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cis autodrag posted:

we are all "full stack" and everyone is expected to own all aspects of whatever their project is, so if you make the infrastructure then you're writing that fuckin javascript. its horrible.

more like short stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey i make up for it in girth okay :mad:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
is there something like that salary guide for Europe?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Maximum Leader posted:

30,000 gbp or 35,000 euros

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Maximum Leader posted:

look at what you'd make in the USA, divide by 3.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Twerk from Home posted:

look at what you'd make in the USA, divide by 3.

what about health insurance?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I guess I'm sort of where I should be then, any opinions on the best tech cities in Europe?

FrozenVent posted:

what about health insurance?

you're probably not spending 2/3 of your salary on it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Maximum Leader posted:

stackoverflow dev survey, glassdoor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sitting at the lobby of this company because I arrived way too early, watching people go in and out. Jesus gently caress look at these nerds.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

sitting at the lobby of this company because I arrived way too early, watching people go in and out. Jesus gently caress look at these nerds.

its you!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

LinYutang posted:

my company can't find a talented JS dev to lead frontend work on some teams so there's a bunch of backend devs doing UI work and it's just sadface for everyone involved

pm me :grin:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

:goonsay:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
On- site Interview trip report:

They want to move from native app languages to React Native because of cross platform capability to move faster. YOSPOS how do I shut this down nicely?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

They want to move from native app languages to React Native because of cross platform capability to move faster. YOSPOS how do I shut this down nicely?

"thank you for the opportunity, but I've decided to move forward with another position"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thank you for the opportunity, but you're idiots and your stack is garbage, hard pass

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

"lol no"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

its you!

:toot:

its true

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

If you like everything else about it, I say go for it. it's not a smart decision on their part but there's worse things to work in than react and if they're smart, they'll learn from their mistake and course correct in 2-4 years, giving you an opportunity to do something else

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Do you really want your life to suck for 2-4 years though

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good god no. Hard pass. Pumped them for more white boarding / paired programming practice. Tried to make the best of it. Nice people but nope nope nope nope nope.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
No revenue stream. App / service hasn't launched yet. No customers. I could go on but let's just forget about it.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i lust for living in an odonian society on another planet

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've only read The Left Hand of Darkness. Going to pick this up thanks!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

upside that you don't have enough time to get properly stressed out about it, trying to prep or such silliness, just have to leap in now

downside is now that it's over I can start worrying about how I did until I hear back whenever later this week.
:ohdear:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

trying to schedule all day interviews while working is a pain in the rear end. i'm sure a random middle of the week day off won't look suspicious or anything.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

leper khan posted:

thanks for another thing I'll need to worry about if they move forward w/ me

:stonklol:

nah don't need to worry about this, just the imposter syndrome from the rejection

leper khan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 24, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

trying to schedule all day interviews while working is a pain in the rear end. i'm sure a random middle of the week day off won't look suspicious or anything.

I've had 1.5 days off each week for the last three weeks. I'm about to sell some stock and go job hunting full time though. It's too much of a hassle this time around for some reason (my current company is on fire).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've been doing half day interviews in the morning and then showing up to work like nothing happened after lunch. so far so good.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Leck posted:

who cares? you're leaving anyway.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

who cares? you're leaving anyway.

protip right here

it's usually not SUPER easy to get fired, just be kind of poo poo for a bit, it'll take a while to be a crisis

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also start interviewing now. Don't be like me and wait too long because you feel bad for everyone else.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah it takes a long time to get a good job, or rather it likely does

its easy to get A job, its harder to get a GOOD job

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah it takes a long time to get a good job, or rather it likely does

its easy to get A job, its harder to get a GOOD job

ok wise guy rank difficulty of finding a HAND job, BLOW job, STEVE job, and RIM job

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Leck posted:

call in sick with something "intensely biological"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do this:

The Management posted:

I've been doing half day interviews in the morning and then showing up to work like nothing happened after lunch. so far so good.
and just say "I have to run a few errands in the morning"

my worst in-person interview performance was probably when I tried to do one after a full day at the office, I was so burned out I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the place I was talking to

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i go into the interview naked, so they can see what they are getting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

my worst in-person interview performance was probably when I tried to do one after a full day at the office, I was so burned out I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the place I was talking to

lol if a full day at the office drains you

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

mishaq posted:

depends on how many uphill battles you have to fight that day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

not normally but it happens and you don't have complete control over how your day is going to go so just interview in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

Why do you think he was job hunting

• Locked thread