Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be nice if somebody would sit down and made some really nice gun powder era uniforms for the Minutemen, complete with fancy head gear at least. I am also pissed we never got a Plasma Blunderbus or Laser Flintlock pistol too.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6443/

This mod has the outfits covered pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

turn off the TV posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6443/

This mod has the outfits covered pretty well.

While it is a good mod and I mentioned it, those outfits are really more generic fantasy 19th century steampunk rather that Colonial 18th century revolutionary war. I mean it works to an extent if you don't care that deeply about the theme but it is a missed oppotunity to have something more striking.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

While it is a good mod and I mentioned it, those outfits are really more generic fantasy 19th century steampunk rather that Colonial 18th century revolutionary war. I mean it works to an extent if you don't care that deeply about the theme but it is a missed oppotunity to have something more striking.

I had missed where you mentioned that mod.

Most of its armor sets are just retextures of vanilla assets, so if you really wanted to you could probably make a decent number of revolutionary war colored outfits

The colonial duster, farmhand clothes, pastor's vestments, minuteman general, and minuteman outfit would all work as pretty good bases, I think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody created a pretty decent generic looking Redcoat uniform now as a mod too. Sadly I don't have the talent but somebody who can with patience and skill could do some pretty creative stuff asset mixing and retexturing.

The General light armor outfit is a good example of what they could have done but I suspect they left the Minutemen last in the development cycle.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody created a pretty decent generic looking Redcoat uniform now as a mod too. Sadly I don't have the talent but somebody who can with patience and skill could do some pretty creative stuff asset mixing and retexturing.

Doing palette swaps isnt too hard, assuming you have the tools and the patience to do it. It mostly consists of color overlays.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Give me super mutant Hessians or give me death. :patriot:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The General light armor outfit is a good example of what they could have done but I suspect they left the Minutemen last in the development cycle.

I feel like they left a lot last in the development cycle :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Here's a Colonial Duster palette swap. It's a little messy, and the colors aren't quite right (hard to judge from photoshop). I'm trying to go for the look of these guys:

e: Better version:

Now I'm completely willing to admit that I don't know anything about the Continental Army's uniforms, or what the Massachusetts militias wore, so if this isn't correct let me know. Now that I've got the texture set up it's not difficult to change the colors.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 23, 2017

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

turn off the TV posted:

e: Also, here are some cool mods:

Mod that turns the Commonwealth into a desert
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868/

While this mod is cool, for some reason, they left vines everywhere just hanging there in midair.

This mode removes them all at least at a quick check around Sanctuary and Concord.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2063/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My settlements seem to display 999 defense in the workshop for some reason, is that a known bug in vanilla or modded fallout? only settlement related mods I have are sim settlement/place anywhere/better warnings for settlements.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It certainly is a good start, the pantaloon style breeches could easily be adapted from the Longjon style outfit and you've got plenty of choice with the boots. Hell with a bit of patience both Preston and the outfit Hancock wears can be good templates, along with that mod that adds the actual uniform.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My settlements seem to display 999 defense in the workshop for some reason, is that a known bug in vanilla or modded fallout? only settlement related mods I have are sim settlement/place anywhere/better warnings for settlements.

It's Sim Settlements. Until you put down your first defense item it'll say 999. I think that was in one of the YouTube guide videos.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

It certainly is a good start, the pantaloon style breeches could easily be adapted from the Longjon style outfit and you've got plenty of choice with the boots. Hell with a bit of patience both Preston and the outfit Hancock wears can be good templates, along with that mod that adds the actual uniform.

Actually making changes to models is way outside of my skill set, so everything I do is going to just be palette swaps. I'm also not gonna lie, I don't really like the idea of the entire faction wearing period accurate outfits. By the time Fallout 4 takes place the Minutemen have been around for at least 100 years. By that point they would probably be well past many or any usable period outfits.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, of course they'd have to improvised now with a bit of imagination.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plasma Blunderbus

Well poo poo, now I want one.

Someone also mentioned Far Cry and it reminded me, I'd love to make bait items so you could trick a radbear or pack of ghouls into stumbling through a raider camp. Anyone know how I'd rig a grenade to spawn a creature?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a Plasma flintlock/revolver on the workshop which looks pretty nifty.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21922/

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, of course they'd have to improvised now with a bit of imagination.

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that there are clearly pieces of different outfits that look more in line with the Continental aesthetic. If I knew absolutely anything about 3D modeling I'd give it a shot, but unless it's as simple as a copy/paste job I'm way out if my league in that department.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Well poo poo, now I want one.

Someone also mentioned Far Cry and it reminded me, I'd love to make bait items so you could trick a radbear or pack of ghouls into stumbling through a raider camp. Anyone know how I'd rig a grenade to spawn a creature?

Take a look at the Synth relay and Minuteman flares. You could probably copy their scripts and just rejig them to use the ghoul leveled lists.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Nuka-World also has a grenade that supposedly attracts nearby creatures, but I have no idea how effective it is.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Predator_grenade

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

As for power armor, I have a few ideas as to how to balance it.

I'm about to start a new playthrough and I'm planning on using http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12050/ which does a fair amount of what you're suggesting, but also makes power armor pieces really rare- think Daedric armor in Morrowind rare, in the case of X-01. I honestly quite like the idea of this as a balancing mechanism, meaning you won't just always be guaranteed to have the best power armor set available to you at any given level because you won't find a new set every five minutes.

e: And I finally found the perfect mod if any of you weirdos are like me and think that ghouls with perfect hair should not have that: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17615/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D17615&pUp=1

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 24, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

There's a Plasma flintlock/revolver on the workshop which looks pretty nifty.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21922/

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that there are clearly pieces of different outfits that look more in line with the Continental aesthetic. If I knew absolutely anything about 3D modeling I'd give it a shot, but unless it's as simple as a copy/paste job I'm way out if my league in that department.

Take a look at the Synth relay and Minuteman flares. You could probably copy their scripts and just rejig them to use the ghoul leveled lists.

I like plasma flintlocks, Next, we need Plasma hand held Mortars.

I'll keep plugging Idlesheeps Modern Firearms, mainly because it allows you to hotkey (Via Faves), Underbarrel weapons and so on.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/cold-steel-hot-lead/downloads/modern-firearms-25-beta-11-pc

staberind fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 25, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are peoples thoughts playing with the legendary overhaul mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22420/

The first legendary I got is a pistol that summons a couple wolves at people, it shoots wolves.

I'm not sure what to think of the mod so far.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I figured out how to make decent looking normals out of the vanilla copies today. Here's the first attempt at the feral ghoul that I'm happy with.

The ENB I'm using is making the shadows and colors a little more dramatic on this guy, but you get the idea.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wow, she doesn't look related to Sloth from the Goonies. Great job!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

AgentHaiTo posted:

While this mod is cool, for some reason, they left vines everywhere just hanging there in midair.

This mod removes them all at least at a quick check around Sanctuary and Concord.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2063/

Another mod to add the original DustBowl mod, is this one that removes all Birds, because now there are no vines and trees, many birds are just suspended in the air sitting on nothing.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22338/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I figured out how to make decent looking normals out of the vanilla copies today. Here's the first attempt at the feral ghoul that I'm happy with.

The ENB I'm using is making the shadows and colors a little more dramatic on this guy, but you get the idea.

I really did not need ghouls to be creepier. :cry:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Has anyone found a mod to fix the bug where if you give a companion a charging weapon like the Tesla or Gauss that they will forever make the charging sound even once you remove the weapon from them?

I've tried all the console fuckery I can think of, all the equipping and unequipping, recycle actor, etc., but they still constantly charge and static and it is driving me mad. The only mod 'fix' i found was one that just deleted the charging sound, but then you won't hear it yourself.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What are peoples thoughts playing with the legendary overhaul mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22420/

The first legendary I got is a pistol that summons a couple wolves at people, it shoots wolves.

I'm not sure what to think of the mod so far.

"No more useless or overpowered effects like the vanilla game. Everything in this mod is balanced and viable in the right situation." Your situation involved wolves being viable.
Also look forward to all your melee weapons getting the sharpshooter effect :Deals bonus damage the further away your target is up to a max of 70% at max VATS distance.
I think I have an earlier version of that mod : No wolves, And the double tap effect is great: in melee you hit twice. i'll go get mine updated.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 26, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Here are some more animals with reworked normals. And an updated version of the ghoul.

Anyone here have experience with setting up Photoshop to automatically run filters and stuff? I'd like to do the same thing to the environmental and architectural textures as I'm doing to the creatures, but there are kind of thousands of those things.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I can't tell much of a difference with the animals, but the ghouls look great, they have that certain hard to describe look about them where they look messed up and off from a distance but you want to take a closer look to see the details of how they are messed up, like a face that looks weird from a distance but upclose it's a squirming mass of maggots in the shape of a face, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there is a word for it or a name for the style but I'm drawing a blank.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Still sadly using spindrives for big stuff: Fallout4's is on E. Will I end up with slightly improved performance if I put Mod Organiser's data folder on D: instead and I'm using a whole bunch of graphics overrides?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I can't tell much of a difference with the animals, but the ghouls look great, they have that certain hard to describe look about them where they look messed up and off from a distance but you want to take a closer look to see the details of how they are messed up, like a face that looks weird from a distance but upclose it's a squirming mass of maggots in the shape of a face, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there is a word for it or a name for the style but I'm drawing a blank.

Here's the vanilla mutant hound, for a comparison.

MikeJF posted:

Still sadly using spindrives for big stuff: Fallout4's is on E. Will I end up with slightly improved performance if I put Mod Organiser's data folder on D: instead and I'm using a whole bunch of graphics overrides?

If the D drive is an SSD, most likely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Right, if anyone has some time: I'm about to play FO4 for the first time, took a spin through the OP and lists and grabbed what seems to be a decent initial loadout to make it pretty and get a few general improvement mods going: here it is. Have I had any obvious omissions or mistakes? I figure I'll dive into settlement modding when I reach that point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I actually watched a vid when a guy was using the Full Dialogue mod and I realized that it's bad not because the mod itself sucks but because the dialogue system is very shallow. Sometimes you get four different options but turns out you're saying the same thing with 3 of them. With the original system, that's not obvious but with the mod it will be pretty awkward. That's not to defend the original dialogue system at all, just saying that it probably wouldn't have improved the game for me even if I used it. I just accepted it as a superfluous system that's an artifact from the past games where developers actually used it for something. The guy doing the analysis made a good point that I found myself wholly agreeing with – Bethesda should just focus on making their games the best explore/loot/fight games and remove anything that's hampering it.

VVV not like it makes ANY difference :v:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 26, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Knowing what the gently caress you're going to say when you pick an option is pretty helpful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I like knowing if I'm going to say "No" or "gently caress YOU" even if it doesn't affect the path of the story.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's also helpful for knowing if the sarcastic response is being used to mock someone or just random monkey cheese bullshit.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Right, if anyone has some time: I'm about to play FO4 for the first time, took a spin through the OP and lists and grabbed what seems to be a decent initial loadout to make it pretty and get a few general improvement mods going: here it is. Have I had any obvious omissions or mistakes? I figure I'll dive into settlement modding when I reach that point.

1 : Ok list, fdi as mentioned is good. VIS is also good, def ui is good as well, I've finally started to get some sensible naming out of it, instead of everything being called a 10mm someething of something (Vats)
2 : Goddamn IMGUR, I always get distracted.
3 : if you want a greener commonwealth, there are a few more mods to make the commonwealth a little more lush. Regrowth Overhaul goes batshit. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9656/

A : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17000/ Legs? LEGS! LEGS KICK! AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

My favorite Weapons modder released his merged redux mod with all his current redone weapons.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23064/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I added subsurface scattering to the Mirelurk King fins. Now they're all glowy under very specific circumstances. I also added some normal map information for the Bloodbug's eyes. It doesn't quite work with the model, but it's better than them being completely blank. Deathclaws have gotten a slight touch up as well, I added the Mutant Hound's skin texture's normals to their scales, giving them some more definition.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
That looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, I think I'll be able to start uploading this texture pack tomorrow (provided my internet connection is working well enough). All I have left at the moment are super mutants and deathclaw variations, and I may make some edits to the mutant hound, feral ghoul and bloodbug. But, here's what I have:

I've made a number of modifications to the patterns of different normals, largely those that did not have any sort of skin texture applied to them. I used the patterns applied to ghouls/super mutants skin, the scale like pattern of mutant hounds, and what I'd best describe as wrinkles from the Mirelurks. Generally, if a normal did not have a pattern applied to them I went ahead and added one or two in order to give them a bit more texture. Almost every normal ended up having some kind of pattern applied to them. I've also applied subsurface scattering to nearly every material used in the creatures. This is especially visible on Super Mutants and the fins of Mirelurk Kings. I've also assigned proper texture files for Super Mutant heads and facial features as part of my effort to get their new normals and material edits working.

After I'm done with the vanilla game I'll move onto Far Harbor, Nuka World, and then start some passes on clothing, armor, and eventually environmental textures. I'm using a different compression format than Bethesda, which means that all of the normals I'm editing are going to be half their original size, so I think that I'm going to go ahead and keep nearly all of them.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 29, 2017