Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Both Nier and Automata share a common theme regarding sexuality. Fairly heavy spoilers for both games following:

Please, You're just thinking about how badly you want to **** 2B aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Lakbay posted:

:ortiz:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Ending E upon a repeat I actually missed that the Pods are also carrying Pascal's parts at the end the first time through. Scratch everything it's the best ending :unsmith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah E is the only thing that's really close to a happy ending

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The main reason I was upset about the ending the first time through was because I didn't notice Pascal's arm. I cared about him exponentially more than any of the main characters so just that emotional load was getting me angry there

But now it's all cool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Both Nier and Automata share a common theme regarding sexuality. Fairly heavy spoilers for both games following:

I'm not sure if there's any deeper statement to it, but in both Nier and Automata, love, romantic relationships, all of these things are for no purpose. Like the violence, which is almost always for no purpose, so too is the love. The androids can never breed. The machines may never truly understand love, even if they attempt to simulate it. The androids are even more doomed because they cannot even pass on their memories to the next generation. They may love in this moment, but when that love has died, there'll be nothing to show for it.

I'm not really sure what your point is because all of these things actively apply to the human beings alive in the real world today. Not all human relationships are capable of breeding. Some people go through the motions of being in love but never actually experience it. Being is love is something many people chase and fantasise over but never actually experience. Some people are incapable of breeding to pass on their memories through a want of not having children or physical inability to do so, be it infertility or being a relationship where it's impossible to have a pregnancy. In most relationships, there's not a lot to show for it once it's over. Love and Sex aren't especially linked in the grand scheme of things besides. You certainly don't need the other to have either. To me, machines have as much of a grasp on love or sex as the androids or even real life humans do.

Like, I'm pretty sure the message here from Taro is that a consensual love between any two beings is as valid and powerful as any other, through any impossibilities or hardships and that there's absolutely zero reason to question its validity.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 23, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lakbay posted:

Isn't everyone?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Can we all agree tho that Jackass is the best character

And also the one character that has her hand in everywhere, evidently is hyper-competent and also knows everyone. Even the Commander. Nier Automata 2 is gonna be Nier 3; Jackass.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm not really sure what your point is because all of these things actively apply to the human beings alive in the real world today. Not all human relationships are capable of breeding. Some people go through the motions of being in love but never actually experience it. Being is love is something many people chase and fantasise over but never actually experience. Some people are incapable of breeding to pass on their memories through a want of not having children or physical inability to do so, be it infertility or being a relationship where it's impossible to have a pregnancy. In most relationships, there's not a lot to show for it once it's over. Love and Sex aren't especially linked in the grand scheme of things besides. You certainly don't need the other to have either. To me, machines have as much of a grasp on love or sex as the androids or even real life humans do.

Like, I'm pretty sure the message here from Taro is that a consensual love between any two beings is as valid and powerful as any other, through any impossibilities or hardships and that there's absolutely zero reason to question its validity.

I feel like love in Taro's games tends to be very destructive. It brings about the end of humanity in Nier, for instance. So in a sense, much like the violence, it doesn't quite lead anywhere - it's just base instincts taking over. It's funny too, for all the fetishization of the androids (not making a judgement, it's just what it is) and machines dealing with ~feelings~, sex only comes up as a means for reproduction and violence is used as a proxy for carnal drive instead. 9S wants to **** 2B, 2B's entire existence is based on ****ing 9S, you could even make a point Nines hates A2 because she got there first.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Can we all agree tho that Jackass is the best character

She has the best approach to block puzzles at the very least.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 23, 2017

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Nina posted:

Fun fact: It used to always hit during development but Taro told them to change it to miss most of the time.

This is what I thought was probably the case, and it's something I'm completely okay with. I guess androids are bad at baseball. :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

She has the best approach to block puzzles at the very least.

I utilized the Jackass' Razor to solve every problem in the game. If you can Bomb it, just Bomb it, you idiot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Like a hundred pages ago somebody couldn't figure out how to dismount a robot horse, ends up you have to detonate the horse to get off.

that was me and I thought about doing it but decided it'd probably kill me

good to know it won't

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do I have to fight the first secret lvl 99 boss as 9S?
Also what's the best way to grind levels for that? Cause I'm doing absolutely no damage to him.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you go to a couple of the boss arenas, enemies spawn infinitely as far as I can tell. The one in the desert or the Copied City

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

If you go to a couple of the boss arenas, enemies spawn infinitely as far as I can tell. The one in the desert or the Copied City

Thanks, time to fuse an EXP Boost +6.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
There's also the super powerful Golden Bunny in the Amusement Park who's apparently worth tons of EXP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

There's also the super powerful Golden Bunny in the Amusement Park who's apparently worth tons of EXP.

Yeah this makes grinding up a complete breeze and I highly recommend it.

Also the superbosses are not hard by the time you get to the low 80s so just get that far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

he'll level you up several times per kill all the way to 99

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Where?! I don't remember anything like that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jack Trades posted:

Go to the entrance.

He's good at holding that pose

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I read the NieR LP by TheDarkId, but whether thru lethargy or just being dense I missed most of the facts about the end of the game and the postgame. Since I get the feeling they come up in Automata eventually, can anyone explain some aspects of the end of NieR? My questions are who the hell Devola and Popola are and what their role was, what Replicants and Gestalts were, what the Black Scrawl was, why the Shadowlord kidnapped Yonah in the first place, who that prologue 20xx Nier and Yonah were, and finally who Tyrann was and his relationship to Ending D (which is its own confusing can of worms in my head).

So basically everything in the last third of the game I guess I somehow didn't understand :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

load up ch 4-1 as 9s, go back to the entryway, take over a medium bipod (the tall guys that shoot balloons into the air) and kill all of the other enemies with it. then you can hack the bunny from inside the other robot (you can't do it unless you've subjugated another robot first). save after beating it and reload. repeat until you're satisfied with your level

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Level grinding question; I'm on route B, would grinding to 99 to beat emil now make the game too easy for route C/D? It's already pretty much easy town as-is and I'm only level 50.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Level grinding question; I'm on route B, would grinding to 99 to beat emil now make the game too easy for route C/D? It's already pretty much easy town as-is and I'm only level 50.

leveling to 99 would make the secret boss too easy to beat, let alone the story content that caps out in like the 60s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There is literally not a single enemy in the game that would not be completely trivialized by leveling to 99.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in Nier 1 it is revealed that the Replicants can't breed on their own. It's unclear if they even have sex, although I guess that is implied, but all romantic couplings are in a way "pointless" to that end because people don't actually breed that way.

fwiw Grimoire NieR states Replicants DO have sex drives, and actually there's an increase in openly gay couples since there's no pressure/need to traditionally reproduce (if they want a baby the Android stork delivers it).

dazat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 24, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

I read the NieR LP by TheDarkId, but whether thru lethargy or just being dense I missed most of the facts about the end of the game and the postgame. Since I get the feeling they come up in Automata eventually, can anyone explain some aspects of the end of NieR? My questions are who the hell Devola and Popola are and what their role was, what Replicants and Gestalts were, what the Black Scrawl was, why the Shadowlord kidnapped Yonah in the first place, who that prologue 20xx Nier and Yonah were, and finally who Tyrann was and his relationship to Ending D (which is its own confusing can of worms in my head).

So basically everything in the last third of the game I guess I somehow didn't understand :v:

*inhales*

Replicants are basically soulless bodies that human souls could possess, and were created to stop a deadly disease from wiping out the planet. They are NOT androids, which Devola and Popola were. Humans figured out a way to separate their souls from their bodies using the Grimoirs, but the souls (Gestalts) would eventually become Shades when the Replicants developed wills of their own and the souls couldn't take them over. Dev/Popo were created to make sure the whole Gestalt thing went over okay, which the Shadowlord hosed up. The Shadowlord is the Gestalt (soul) of the Nier you play in the intro, and the Nier you play in the actual game is the original Nier's Replicant. He kidnapped Yonah because he wanted to hang out with her and put her soul back in her Replicant body. Black Scrawl is basically what happens to a Replicant when a Gestalt starts to fade away, which Soul Yonah was. Tyrann is a a Gestalt who wants to possess Kaine's body because thats what Gestalts do, since his original Replicant was destroyed. He's essentially the one who offers Nier the choice of either killing Kaine or saving her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Huh, I just realized Ending E is a very effective anti-piracy measure. Now I kinda wanna see if people make a workaround for the thing.

How so? At that point you have beaten the game 4 times and are just missing out on a few scenes you can youtube. You can literally do everything in the game before you hit that "anti piracy" check.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

The Devola and Popola models are paired androids assigned all over the world to oversee the Gestalt project and ensure that, after the White Chlorination Syndrome passed, souls would be returned to their respective bodies. These two just so happened to be assigned to the set of Replicants that included the one belonging to the original stable Gestalt.

Replicants are artificial bodies that were created as copies of humans existing when WCS was spreading around the world. They were originally basically meat robots, but over time gained their own sapience and sense of free will. The Gestalts are the souls of humans removed from their bodies, but due to complete sensory deprivation, most of them went insane and relapsed, becoming the hyper-aggressive Shades. Several are still stable, and the first truly stable one was Nier back in 20xx, which they used as the basis to keep several other Gestalts from relapsing.

Future Nier and Yonah are the Replicants that the Gestalts were originally supposed to be implanted into, until the Replicants started gaining sapience. Gestalt Nier (the Shadowlord) only remained stable due to his intense desire to keep his daughter safe, and eventually Gestalt Yonah started relapsing and he decided to go straight for Replicant Yonah as soon as Weiss and Noir were ready to activate. Since the Shadowlord was destroyed, the main stable Gestalt that was keeping the others from relapsing was lost, and the entire project collapsed.

The Black Scrawl is when a Gestalt tries to forcibly possess a Replicant that hasn't been properly prepared, whether or not it's their own. Tyrann was a general who was such a sadistic rear end in a top hat that the government deleted his Replicant, but he managed to sneak into the Gestalt process anyway. It's implied that, while Kaine's Gestalt wasn't present, he could still go through the "intended" process with her to make her human again, with some mumbo jumbo.

Does that help at all?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Ciaphas posted:

Spoilers for OG Nier:
After Drakengard Ending E, the remains of the Grotesquerie Queen coated Tokyo and caused an epidemic known as White Chlorination Syndrome. Basically, people either got infected and turned into servants of the Queen (Legion, Red Eye, etc), or just outright turned into pillars of salt. After years of fighting against this disaster, humanity decided it was pretty much done for unless they did something drastic. Luckily, humans recovered the corpse of Caim's dragon, Angelus, and managed to synthesize a "magical" particle that they dubbed "maso". But even with maso-enhanced soldiers, as well as superweapons like Emil, it wasn't enough to fully wipe out Legion. Moreover, the world was coated in salt and ash, and was pretty much uninhabitable. So Project Gestalt was started. The plan was this: Using maso, they could separate a person's soul/consciousness from their body (the specific mechanisms of this are a bit up to interpretation, but it's basically digitized rendering of a person's genome using the Angelic alphabet). The Gestalts would then be put into cold storage, while mindless clones, known as Replicants, did the dirty work of wiping out Legion and cleaning up the planet over the next few centuries. The Replicants would be watched over by a few androids who also spearheaded the restoration efforts. Among these androids were Devola and Popola. When all was said and done, the Gestalts were supposed to reunite with their Replicant forms and effectively resurrect humanity.
The project hosed up almost immediately. Gestalts began to experience a phenomenon known as "relapsing", which caused their code to spontaneously corrupt and turn them into feral killing machines. Likewise, there was an ambient connection between Gestalts and their corresponding Replicants, so as to ensure their compatibility. However, because of the relapse phenomenon, this caused the Replicants to get terminally ill and die. This is the origin of The Black Scrawl.
The remaining humans circa 2049 desperately tried to salvage this gently caress-up. Their only hope was to create a Gestalt who was immune to relapsing and could exercise an influence to keep others from relapsing as well. This turned out to be Nier (Prime), who was conned into this while seeking treatment for Yonah's White Chlorination Syndrome. Nier originally ran away with Yonah, but after she touched Grimoire Noir and inadvertently started her own Gestalt conversion (followed by an immediate relapse), Nier acquiesced and agreed to become the Original Gestalt.
Thus Nier Prime became the Shadowlord, tending for Gestalts over the course of 1300 years, while Devola and Popola watched over Replicants and mopped things up. Unfortunately, Replicants developed self-awareness after a few centuries. They were partially controlled by the computer systems in The Forest of Myth, which allowed the Androids to manufacture memories and implant them into the Replicants. Once the Gestalts tried to merge with their promised host bodies though, the Replicants fought back. The two races became hostile toward one another, with many Gestalts leaving the Shadowlord's sphere of influence and going feral. These became the Shades. With the increase in relapsed Gestalts, an increase in Black Scrawl cases followed.
With Replicants refusing to accept the Gestalts, Devola and Popola presumably faced increased pressure from the Shadowlord, and therefore chose to activate a fail-safe. Grimoire Weiss would merge with Grimoire Noir to forcibly reunite the Gestalts and Replicants. As part of their ancient agreement, they sent Yonah to the Shadowlord, lying that she could find a mystical Lunar Tear at the Lost Shrine that could cure her Black Scrawl. Popola then told this to Nier, so he would go after her as well. This way, Shadowlord and Yonah prime could both reclaim their bodies immediately. But Nier beat the poo poo out of Grimoire Weiss, causing him to lose his powers and memories, prompting him to side with Nier on a quest to save his ailing daughter.
Devola and Popola countered this by making up a prophecy about Grimoire Weiss facing off against Grimoire Noir to end the Black Scrawl. So Nier went around, restored Weiss's power, and hoped to save his daughter. Eventually the Shadowlord had enough of this poo poo and decided to attack Nier's town and kidnap Yonah himself, so as to secure a body, imperfect as it may be, for his own daughter. Noir tried to fuse with Weiss, but Weiss refused.
Five years later, Nier and Weiss finally enter the Shadowlord's Castle, where Devola and Popola try one last time to force them to surrender. They don't, and so the androids are killed. With Devola and Popola dead, no new Replicants can be made in that region, dooming them all to be the last generation. Nier confronts the Shadowlord, where Yonah Prime decides that this whole thing isn't right and sacrifices her chance at a body. Nier kills the Shadowlord and reunites with his daughter, unaware (or perhaps ambivalent) of the fact that with the Shadowlord's death, all remaining Gestalts will go feral, die, and cause the Black Scrawl to spread out of control. So basically, Nier sealed the fate of humanity by killing the twins and the Shadowlord.
In the final ending, Tyrann, a sadistic body-hopping Gestalt possessing Kaine, finally loses control in response to the Shadowlord's death. In order to save Kaine, Nier opted to take Tyrann's corruption unto himself, effectively causing a memetic corruption that erased him from everyone's memories (since we established that Replicants have synthesized memories). This likely only applies to other Replicants, as Emil seems to remember Nier when he crash lands in the desert, but don't quote me on this.
In the end, Kaine is saved, Nier is forgotten, and humanity is utterly doomed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Regy Rusty posted:

There is literally not a single enemy in the game that would not be completely trivialized by leveling to 99.

Dang, so I guess I'll come back for that. At 50 I couldn't do more than a single pixel of damage to the secret boss even with hacking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Phew, thanks for all the words. Apparently I missed a hell of a lot more than I realized. :psyduck:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nina posted:

Ending E upon a repeat I actually missed that the Pods are also carrying Pascal's parts at the end the first time through. Scratch everything it's the best ending :unsmith:

Why is Pascal in parts? In my ending he just looked up into the sky but I did erase his memory too.

Eh, can you say Sartre's followers loved him? I thought they did idolize him but for the wrong reasons.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Phew, thanks for all the words. Apparently I missed a hell of a lot more than I realized. :psyduck:

I think some of that stuff is only talked about in supplemental materials. Nier question:
Did they ever say why Nier is called shadowlord? I think a lot of of this could've been avoided if he went by a less evil sounding name.

Unrelated I'm surprised by the casting I could've sworn 9S was Yuri Lowenthal.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Finished ending E. Hell of a game. I initially misread ending E as a "okay one more go-around and maybe things will be different this time" situation even though that actually doesn't make any sense at all, and I've accidentally gone and got myself disappointed there isn't more. Well, other than finishing off my weapon collection and this post-game superboss I've heard about, at least. Mostly I'm just sad I didn't get another chance to play as 2B 'cause I like her best and I didn't get to do the small sword slide spin thing for the entire back 20 hours.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Early game sidequest question: For the rogue yorha retrieval, I can't seem to find them past the very first meeting on the roof when they get recalled. I've gone to both mission indicators multiplies times after doing other stuff, and they're never there. What gives?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think some of that stuff is only talked about in supplemental materials. Nier question:
Did they ever say why Nier is called shadowlord? I think a lot of of this could've been avoided if he went by a less evil sounding name.

Because he's the king of the Shades

Language note: In the Japanese version, there's a similar thing going on: the Shadowlord is called the maoh (魔王), which usually means an evil king, but in the context of the world of Nier, it just means "the king of magic." Likewise, the Shades are called mamono (魔物) which means monsters, but in context actually just means "beings made of magic"

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Finished ending E. Hell of a game. I initially misread ending E as a "okay one more go-around and maybe things will be different this time" situation even though that actually doesn't make any sense at all, and I've accidentally gone and got myself disappointed there isn't more. Well, other than finishing off my weapon collection and this post-game superboss I've heard about, at least. Mostly I'm just sad I didn't get another chance to play as 2B 'cause I like her best and I didn't get to do the small sword slide spin thing for the entire back 20 hours.

I misread that ending in the same way as well and felt pretty disappointed, especially since I also kinda expected a final runthrough with 2B. Reflecting on it over the next few days though I started to more fully appreciate the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Early game sidequest question: For the rogue yorha retrieval, I can't seem to find them past the very first meeting on the roof when they get recalled. I've gone to both mission indicators multiplies times after doing other stuff, and they're never there. What gives?

They will randomly appear in one of the areas. Just keep checking until you find them, maybe do a mission before trying again.