Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

...and the pitch! posted:

In my opinion the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year.

The Propane Maniacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

...and the pitch! posted:

It's not like the first time he saw Goofus and Gallant. He and Peggy are a perfect match.

In my opinion the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year.

My peek Peggy moment is

"You should never report a false propane emergency!"

"I know. I prayed on it, and God said, 'Don't do it.' But I knew better."

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
the one where dale thinks he has rabies and goes in the woods and eats magic mushrooms and acts nutty is a good one

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

girth brooks part 2 posted:

My peek Peggy moment is

"You should never report a false propane emergency!"

"I know. I prayed on it, and God said, 'Don't do it.' But I knew better."

I laugh so hard when they do thos.

"Remember what i told the doctor"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Isaac posted:

"Remember what i told the doctor"

That's one of my favorite Peggy lines.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The episode where Luanne gets her "spiritual virginity back" is so absolutely amazing in a number of ways. One, if a dude isn't sure if he's gay....Peggy isn't exactly the test of heterosexuality. Dude probably went forty years of thinking he was gay when he was just....you know, normal for not being attracted to Peggy.

Also how Luanne almost married a guy because he was too horny to not have sex....so it was marriage because of pants feelings. That and bribing children into being abstinence with material goods and discounts.

As a kid I didn't get this episode, but as an adult and knowing religion and sex negative peeps I am finding this episode hilarious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about that episode is that Nathan Fillion is in it as the frisbee guy who has like one line. This was back in 2001 so the only thing he was known for was a sitcom he starred in with Ryan Reynolds.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Owen Wilson was the guy who Luanne almost married.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Gaunab posted:

Owen Wilson was the guy who Luanne almost married.

"The Vandergrafs!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The reveal in his new movie is that Hank Hill was their father all along.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
peggy when she says iwo jima with the spanish j

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

peggy when she says iwo jima with the spanish j

Ohhhhh, I hate that Peggy! :argh:
-an idiot

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

"Monterey Hyack"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TrustmeImLegit posted:

That Goofus seems like a real dumbass"

Fav Hank quote with him seeing a highlights issue.

It pairs nicely with a Beavis and Butthead quote.

"Heh heh, Goofus is cool."

That show might have caused me to laugh the hardest in the 90s. My babysitter let me watch recorded episodes off VHS tapes. The reboot had me laughing just the same. They shouldn't have aired it on MTV.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

the one where dale thinks he has rabies and goes in the woods and eats magic mushrooms and acts nutty is a good one

it's really really good. the scene with him showing each symptom after nancy reads it offthe computer, ending in "hypochondria" - "Aaaggh Nancy I think I might have rabies"

so many great bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfQr5acqck

the whole climax with frog on a stick -> Hank's "I-I should've [tiny pause] cut my veins" -> jumping off a tree is one of the all-time classic dale scenes. it's like, entirely good av texts for anyone.

and Bobby being a crack shot like always. i hope one day there's another show this good yet humble.

don't make eye contact with him, it makes him start howlin'

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 25, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Mrs Johnson's bag has 6 puppies , and Mr Petersons bag has minus 4 puppies

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this, i like

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Atmus posted:

He could have been known as Robert, the Dog Quaffer.

If her arms worked as hard as her serpent's tongue, there would be nary a speck of dust left in the kingdom!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

If her arms worked as hard as her serpent's tongue, there would be nary a speck of dust left in the kingdom!

KOTH crushed guest appearances so loving hard, the standard is impossibly high.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I don't wanna go back to sellin' real estate!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

haljordan posted:

I don't wanna go back to sellin' real estate!

Another great guest star. Alan Rickman is the bees knees!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Family Guy came close with James Woods. What an incredible performance.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's pretty cool how when Nancy is worried about her age and Luanne gives her some cream to cover up the wrinkles. The brand? Leche de Sol, the illegal cream Luanne got from the Mexico episode.

Speaking of that episode... Bobby using a gigantic firework to "prank" a store by blowing up a statue is basically a terrorist attack. Something that large could definitely kill someone.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the 90s were a simple time

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Houle posted:

It's pretty cool how when Nancy is worried about her age and Luanne gives her some cream to cover up the wrinkles. The brand? Leche de Sol, the illegal cream Luanne got from the Mexico episode.

Speaking of that episode... Bobby using a gigantic firework to "prank" a store by blowing up a statue is basically a terrorist attack. Something that large could definitely kill someone.

Bobby even seems to know it was wrong "trying to blow up one of their monuments."

Could Bobby be a member of ISIS? :tinfoil:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Peggy is a fantastic character. I have said "gently caress you Peggy Hill" to every third or fourth thing she has said or done this season (season 5). Never told a character to gently caress off or "gently caress you". A character that can make me hate them that much is a well written character.

I got really mad at her for the Mexican Child Kidnapping episode. The poor guy was just trying to catch the bus to go to his job at the butchers and she keeps interrupting his craft, throwing his chickens on the ground, and crowding his shop so no one can get in the shop to buy his food. "gently caress you Peggy Hill, that's his livelihood".

Just goes to show how well written the ADD episode was. Despite my seething resentment towards Peggy Hill I was on her side and felt genuinely bad for her for showing selflessness and love for her son by giving up her job and becoming a housewife. Most of the time she actively sabotages her family for her own ego. "Hank, remember what I told the doctor? You can't even touch Lady Bird". Yeah Peggy, your five minute google search clicking click bait articles is why you should be telling the doctor how they should be doing their job. Also gently caress you peggy hill for spreading rumours that another teacher is an alcoholic, that poo poo can ruin their career.

loving peggy hill.

I'm an adult getting mad getting at a 15 year old cartoon. Peggy Hill is a fantastic character for turning me into this.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Houle posted:

I'm an adult getting mad getting at a 15 year old cartoon. Peggy Hill is a fantastic character for turning me into this.

Exactly. Peggy is a serious accomplishment on television; female characters are expected to be simple, either coquettish and free-spirited(if they're young) or sage and dainty (if they're old). Sometimes you get a more modern cliche of a Super-woman, the young doctor with something to prove or the lady detective who demands respect, but with no flaws except designer flaws these characters are just as two-dimensional as the rest. Either way female characters are expected to represent ideals. Peggy totally demolishes that expectation.

In the commentary for Futurama, Matt Groening talks about how Amy Wong starts out as an experiment, to see if the audience will accept a female klutz doing pratfalls. They really only do it for the first season before she recedes into a much safer "rich bitch" stereotype, possibly because the experiment failed (people weren't laughing at a cute lady hurting herself) and possibly because the characters on that show just all generally unravelled as things went on.

But KOTH remains remarkably consistent with its characters (with notable exceptions, especially towards the end), and Peggy and Luanne are the best examples. They both represent experiments similar to Amy Wong's; Peggy is an impossibly egotistical woman and Luanne is, in her own words, a proudly ignorant woman. Both being capable human beings who deserve sympathy despite their limitations is a serious challenges to cliches about women on TV.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

In the commentary for Futurama, Matt Groening talks about how Amy Wong starts out as an experiment, to see if the audience will accept a female klutz doing pratfalls. They really only do it for the first season before she recedes into a much safer "rich bitch" stereotype, possibly because the experiment failed (people weren't laughing at a cute lady hurting herself) and possibly because the characters on that show just all generally unravelled as things went on.

No one cares about a clown doing pratfalls.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Amy as a klutz doesn't really work for me personally. Her being clumsy, airheaded and sort of vapid is a boring character trait. Leila works a lot better as a flawed woman. She puts up such a tough facade and it can alienate her.

Minh is actually pretty great of a mom. When Connie wanted to break up with Bobby because her parents were pushing her towards Bobby because they thought she was suicidal Minh gave her good advice and was open and honest with how she met Con. Basically her advice was "My dad kept pushing me towards the businessman. I didn't go with Con just because he was the bad boy, but because I knew in my heart that he was for me. I can't tell you if Bobby is right for you." that's like... great advice and sort of uncharacteristic of her since she tends to be very selfish in she wants to live vicariously live through Connie and use her to compete with the other students- and that uncharacteristic part of her character just showed a key trait.... regardless of everything she may put up she really just wants what's best for her daughter.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I agree Minh is a surprisingly good mom. Her talk with Connie about PMS is simultaneously touching, funny, and sound advice.

That whole episode is great.

Connie: Bleh, steak again? How many cows do you people eat in a month?

Hank: Now hold on... we figured this out once...

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen Hank use any seasonings and since he doesn't use charcoal or hickory chips or anything in the grill to smoke it up those steaks are probably really really bland.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Houle posted:

Amy as a klutz doesn't really work for me personally. Her being clumsy, airheaded and sort of vapid is a boring character trait. Leila works a lot better as a flawed woman. She puts up such a tough facade and it can alienate her.

Minh is actually pretty great of a mom. When Connie wanted to break up with Bobby because her parents were pushing her towards Bobby because they thought she was suicidal Minh gave her good advice and was open and honest with how she met Con. Basically her advice was "My dad kept pushing me towards the businessman. I didn't go with Con just because he was the bad boy, but because I knew in my heart that he was for me. I can't tell you if Bobby is right for you." that's like... great advice and sort of uncharacteristic of her since she tends to be very selfish in she wants to live vicariously live through Connie and use her to compete with the other students- and that uncharacteristic part of her character just showed a key trait.... regardless of everything she may put up she really just wants what's best for her daughter.

Telling a teenage girl to trust her heart about whether a boy is The One is really terrible advice.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Houle posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Hank use any seasonings and since he doesn't use charcoal or hickory chips or anything in the grill to smoke it up those steaks are probably really really bland.

they're good with some ketchup

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Houle posted:

All you need is salt and maybe pepper on a nice grilles streak come on now

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen Hank use any exfoliants, concerned about that dead skin situation.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
where is Hank going that his elbows need to be smooth

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Houle posted:

there's a whole episode where peggy and bobby eat some steak at a party and declare it's the best steak they've ever had before realizing it was just cooked over charcoal

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My dad says butane is a bastard gas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Connie: Bleh, steak again? How many cows do you people eat in a month?

Hank: Now hold on... we figured this out once...

This really shows that the writing here was fantastic. See, I love Hank's response here, it's perfect, yet this show was quickly overshadowed by dumb poo poo like Family Guy, and that's a shame. Subtlety trumps deliberate humour.

"Hey Lois, 'member that time I fahted?"