Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If this lightning centaur guy is just destroying me at I trying to do this too early or is there a gimmick I haven't figured out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

If this lightning centaur guy is just destroying me at I trying to do this too early or is there a gimmick I haven't figured out yet?

Your mission isn't to kill it

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

Is hard mode definitely going to require the season pass, or is it just coming out alongside the first DLC but for free

I will Paypal you twenty American dollars.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

So what happens if a descending molduga collides with a giant magnesis piston?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

grilldos posted:

I will Paypal you twenty American dollars.

Okay PM me

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Also I heard that killing more enemies makes enemies drop better weapons is that true at all. I dont remember when the stuff with upgrades started dropping on my first playthrough but it was pretty drat late in the game. Can you make that happen faster.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

There's no such thing as "too early" in the game, though those guys are brutal until you get really good at the combat system in the game. I felt so happy when I finally managed to take one out without getting hit. Of course, it may help to come back to them with stronger armor.

So a few tips for fighting them: They have a pretty limited set of moves. The first is shooting lightning arrows. Best you can do is dodge and close in to make them switch to the melee routines. Getting into a direct arrow duel with them is suicidal.

Second, and most important to understand, are their weapons attacks. They have spear, sword, and mace routines that have different wind ups and timing. This is the easiest move to dodge and counterstrike as most of the combos can be defeated by jumping backward. Trigger a flurry rush and start doing some damage. As part of this they also do a grab move but the dodge in the same.

There's two area attacks that have really large ranges. If they roar, run like gently caress since the fire explosion has a radius of about thirty meters. If they bounce back, you don't have to run nearly as far but the explosion when they impact is still pretty big.

The fire breath attack shoots three fireballs and can be defeated by running parallel to it. In some environments this leaves big flame trails and that's your opportunity to shoot up into the air. Now this would be bad if they start firing lightning at you again, but you can go into slow motion and snip their faces. When their faces are hit, they go into a stun state where you can run up behind them and jump on their back for a lot of free hits.

Finally there's the charge attack and you can jump to one side and counter or get out of the way and jump on their back when they're out of breath afterward.

So that's the moves. Other tips are don't bother with elemental damage, they're immune. Use your strongest weapons because they are HP sinks. Use some buffs; attack+++ if you can survive a hit or two or defense+++ if you can't.

These are probably the toughest fights in the game but the rewards are really worth it since they have great weapons and their body parts are extremely useful.

Carmant posted:

Also I heard that killing more enemies makes enemies drop better weapons is that true at all. I dont remember when the stuff with upgrades started dropping on my first playthrough but it was pretty drat late in the game. Can you make that happen faster.

This is definitely tied to main quest progress.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm having a hell of a time putting the game down. Whenever I tell myself I'm about to stop for the night I see something else in the distance and that's me stuck.

I think this might be the closest I've ever come to that my earnest wish to erase all knowledge of Morrowind from my mind and play it fresh for the first time again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The first lynel is the point where, if you haven't been bothering to use food buffs or upgrade armor, you can hit kind of a brick wall. It's cool though because it encourages you to use all the systems to prepare for the fight, kinda like The Witcher.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Plus there's the whole "you don't actually have to fight him" thing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PantsBandit posted:

The first lynel is the point where, if you haven't been bothering to use food buffs or upgrade armor, you can hit kind of a brick wall. It's cool though because it encourages you to use all the systems to prepare for the fight, kinda like The Witcher.

Yeah. That was the first time I felt the need to start using all of that food I have been holding on to but not actually using

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

Okay PM me

Okay. Wait,

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Or you sneak around and get the arrows like the questgivers tell you to. Does anyone pay any goddamned attention?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Or you sneak around and get the arrows like the questgivers tell you to. Does anyone pay any goddamned attention?

This might surprise you but people complete quests in different ways.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

This might surprise you but people complete quests in different ways.

Or people could not pay attention and constantly bitch when they hit said brick wall.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
am i not supposed to be at the akkala citadel ruins at 3 hearts

this place seems like an extreme high level area

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just haphazardly ran across the Forgotten Temple and welp guess it's time to run/glide as fast as possible!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Or people could not pay attention and constantly bitch when they hit said brick wall.

I dont really see anyone bitching but k

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Kilton show up outside Kakriko at night?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Does Kilton show up outside Kakriko at night?

Yes. He's behind Impa's house.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Morden posted:

am i not supposed to be at the akkala citadel ruins at 3 hearts

this place seems like an extreme high level area

Yeah that's pretty much as high level as it gets, other than Hyrule Castle

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

yahaha, you found me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

This is incredibly disappointing. I wanted to bring in a cucco.

I figured out that you can get in if you clear the slime in advance (it helps to skip blood moons). I actually took a cucco all the way to the door and the game refused to load the last segment; I had distance texture loaded with no gap. Then I stumbled around trying to figure out how to get in until a blood moon happened. The castle loaded but my cucco was gone.

Just for fun, I tried carrying another object over my head inside the door and it despawned on the loading so it pretty much confirms that you're going to have to do some direct glitching to get arbitrary objects into the Ganon fight.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm gonna hold out on buying the season pass on the offchance that it might add more korok seeds.

E: Does the ancient set boost guardian weapons or just the ancient ones you buy from that same vendor? Is it even worth it? I'm gonna start farming parts to upgrade armor sets and I'm looking for useful ones first.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 24, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Regy Rusty posted:

Something similar happened to me, seems like the game sometimes struggles loading the top of the castle if you go up there too fast and it causes some really weird effects.
Yeah if you do the "find a large climbable metal box and max stasis hit it and ride it real far" trick, you can make the game fail to load areas correctly and you can do some fun, weird poo poo.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Dizz posted:

I'm gonna hold out on buying the season pass on the offchance that it might add more korok seeds.

E: Does the ancient set boost guardian weapons or just the ancient ones you buy from that same vendor? Is it even worth it? I'm gonna start farming parts to upgrade armor sets and I'm looking for useful ones first.

It also just grants guardian resist as the base, which can be pretty helpful when you're dumb and get hit by them a lot (like me). I think it's also tied for highest actual defense stat once fully upgraded, so there's that.

Ancient weapons are actually pretty good too, and it's all ancient weapons so getting those ++ ones are good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
During the second phase of the final battle, what's stopping a player from just riding away?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*Goron children weeping their eyes out as the insane man dressed like a Gerudo woman double fists meat skewers down his throat as he runs through the streets on fire trying to get to the armor shop*

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

How did nobody tell me about Lynels?

You can mount them and stab them in the back repeatedly.

I was also running around the area near the peninsula right between Akalla and Zora's Domain, and saw a boboklin and a moblin chilling at a campfire at a hangover. Dropped some bombs on them, having a little fun messing around and making them confused. Drop down to them, and the moblin THROWS the boboklin at me. I'm thinking it was an Of Mice and Men duo.

I've played this game way too much, I'm at 114 shrines, but it's still making me laugh and surprising me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Why does Link hold the bow all hosed up? If you look closely his right hand isn't holding the drawstring in the orientation you expect, with the thumb on top, it's the opposite way, with the thumb on the bottom. What the gently caress? Is that a real thing?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Holy poo poo Divine Beast Medoh is easy as hell. Did the whole temple + boss within like maybe half an hourish?

comingafteryouall posted:

How did nobody tell me about Lynels?

You can mount them and stab them in the back repeatedly.

What?!?!??!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

Why does Link hold the bow all hosed up? If you look closely his right hand isn't holding the drawstring in the orientation you expect, with the thumb on top, it's the opposite way, with the thumb on the bottom. What the gently caress? Is that a real thing?

It is yeah, you sometimes see professional archers do it. Reverse grip.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lemming posted:

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
The first Lynel fight was fun. First time it one-hit curb stomped me. Second time I got its pattern down, learned how to dodge its attacks to get flurries, buffed up with defensive food, and brought out my most powerful weapons. Wasn't too bad after that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So after playing this game for a ridiculous amount I finally got a moment where I got fed up and have to call bullshit.

Going up Mt. Lanayru, there's a blue lynel guarding the gate. Should be a fun fight. So I pull out my fancy weapons to beat him when about halfway through the fight a blood moon occurs. Not only do blood moons respawn enemies but they also reset them, so the lynel was back to full HP. So that sucks but oh well. I go to fight him again and...another blood moon.

And another?

And another?!?

You've gotta be making GBS threads me, another?!?

Oh my god, six loving blood moons? What the hell!?

I've had the game glitch out and do two blood moons in a row before, but never loving six. And they weren't like 10 seconds after each other either, they kept waiting a minute into the fight and then blood moon time. It was like Ganon was personally extending his middle finger towards Link at that particular moment. So I decide something is busted and leave. I reload the area and figure this time the things will be fine. And it was. Sure I used half my inventory on this one lynel but at least now it was about to die.

THE BLOOD MOON RISES ONCE AGAIN

Seven. loving. blood moons. At that point I just pulled out an ancient arrow out of frustration. Should of done that before I broke half my weapons. :qq:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should really just reset the game if that starts happening.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Wouldnt an entire day need to cycle before another bloodmoon is even eligible to happen? Or did it just trigger the one instance of it over and over during the same night?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Space T Rex posted:

Wouldnt an entire day need to cycle before another bloodmoon is even eligible to happen? Or did it just trigger the one instance of it over and over during the same night?

It's been noted a few times that sometimes the game glitches out and repeatedly triggers blood moons at any time. The main theory is that something has gone wrong in the game world and the blood moon is how it tries to fix it. When it repeats, presumably the fix isn't working so it keeps getting triggered. Resetting the game fixes it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space T Rex posted:

The best guess we've come to is that when the game hits some sort of crit failure assertion it'll trigger the blood moon to try and "clean it up". Problem is, if it doesn't get cleaned up as expected you can get multiple blood moons in a very short period. Solution is to save, quit, restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Oh I hadn't heard about that. Just imagine how much it would suck if the cut-scene was unskippable though!