Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
ps they're now selling refurbished mills for $600 because people have been swapping ones with the v threads in for the ballscrew versions. At $600 it's a bit of a no brainer imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rotor posted:

I think they have a distributor problems. As in, they don't really have very many.

work envelope is about the same, iirc the sieg has 1-2" more y-axis travel.

If you're getting it as a CNC the Taig seems like a no-brainer to me. It's cheaper and more accurate.

One thing I really wish the taig had is a quill. Its very hard to use it as a drill. But you don't care about that if it's gonna be a cnc machine.

Worth noting is that I can swap between manual & cnc on my taig in like ~15 minutes. Not sure if that means anything to you, but it's pretty handy for me.

Also, it's actually made in the USA, if that means anything to you.

edit: oh you're looking at the super cheapo sieg. yeah no buy a taig.

My budget is flexible and I'm not trying to go completely starving-student. Just trying to stay aware of all of the tooling and holding stuff I'll also need to buy too.

I was looking at this Taig, but I'm not sure how much I care about the 4th axis, and I assume he's asking too much since it's been listed for weeks.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/5979180393.html

More and more I'm thinking I want something larger than a mini-mill. I'd like the ability to mill most of the usable-width of a 19" equipment rack blank and the G0704 is looking pretty tempting with 18-7/8" of horizontal travel. There's a Grizzly store a few hours south, so I'm hoping to stop and look in person.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eddiewalker posted:

the G0704 is looking pretty tempting with 18-7/8" of horizontal travel.

Horizontal travel is misleading for two reasons: 1) you don't get full use of working across that whole length when you consider the work-holding required to fit something like that. 2) milling machines are less accurate and stable at the extreme ends of their travel, and its error is only more exaggerated on smaller hobby machines.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm expecting some tweaking and accuracy issues. Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

The BF20-style mills like the G0704 look so much more formidable than a mini mill side-by-side for not a whole lot more money. That's probably just about maxing out my available garage space for future-proofing.

I'm interested in the Hossmachine DVD of instructions and CAD drawings to "reprap" a CNC conversion in stages using the machine itself. Seems like a solid set of data on one place and a good way to become really familiar with the process and stretch out the initial cash outlay.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

eddiewalker posted:

My budget is flexible and I'm not trying to go completely starving-student. Just trying to stay aware of all of the tooling and holding stuff I'll also need to buy too.

I was looking at this Taig, but I'm not sure how much I care about the 4th axis, and I assume he's asking too much since it's been listed for weeks.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/5979180393.html

yeah that seems like way too much. I paid iirc ~1700 for the full cnc setup w/ controller & motor & stuff.

quote:

More and more I'm thinking I want something larger than a mini-mill. I'd like the ability to mill most of the usable-width of a 19" equipment rack blank and the G0704 is looking pretty tempting with 18-7/8" of horizontal travel. There's a Grizzly store a few hours south, so I'm hoping to stop and look in person.

get as large as your shop can fit and you can afford imo. Tormachs are nice. :-)

I went with the taig primarily because of it's size - my shop space is tiny.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
help me get my workflow up and smooth and you're welcome to runtime on my machine

*edit*

Have any of you guys tried tooling around with Mach4 - is there any reason to upgrade from Mach3?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 13, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well it's one bigger.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Is there an mpg or something that I can hook directly in to my motors to run them, instead of having to hook up my computer and mach 3 and my BoB etc?

My lathe is being used manually and CNC, so being able to jog the motors without the rest of the setup would be great.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

Well it's one bigger.

That's true. If one of the 4 Machs go bad at least I would still have 3 leftover

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I'm thinking about building a soundproof (-dampening) enclosure for my Taig. Right now it's at a shop I get out to maybe once every few weeks where sound isn't an issue, but I now have the space to set it up in my apartment so if I can manage the noise I think it'll be viable. I gotta build an enclosure sooner or later, might as well be one that manages sound if it'll help me right now.

An 80/20 extruded frame with MDF/acrylic panels is probably my go-to approach here, but 1/4" MDF sidewalls aren't going to muffle poo poo. What approaches to people take here? I know, broadly speaking, 1) seal the sound in like it was water and 2) use either mass or vibration isolation to manage the rest, I'm just not sure how that's worked out for other people (particularly if they used 80/20).

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'm thinking about building a soundproof (-dampening) enclosure for my Taig. Right now it's at a shop I get out to maybe once every few weeks where sound isn't an issue, but I now have the space to set it up in my apartment so if I can manage the noise I think it'll be viable. I gotta build an enclosure sooner or later, might as well be one that manages sound if it'll help me right now.

An 80/20 extruded frame with MDF/acrylic panels is probably my go-to approach here, but 1/4" MDF sidewalls aren't going to muffle poo poo. What approaches to people take here? I know, broadly speaking, 1) seal the sound in like it was water and 2) use either mass or vibration isolation to manage the rest, I'm just not sure how that's worked out for other people (particularly if they used 80/20).

For my 3D printer, I used 4" of rockwool on 4 sides wrapped in thin fabric, and dampened the steppers with cork. It's 2m from my pillow and after soundproofing, it's possible to sleep through a print.

Warning though, rockwool isn't sold in small quantities. I've been trying to use up the $60 worth of batts on other projects (speakers, ground insulation for snow camping, hydroponics). You might be able to offload your excess on craigslist as well.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I think ive followed the trajectory of a lot of people in regards to "oh hey aluminum extrusions are great" *checks linear foot pricing* that's, fine, I can work with that, *actually prices out an enclosure with fasteners and hardware* well uh hmmmmm.
If it's gonna be tabletop instead of a standalone workstation, which makes sense for me right now, I think an extrusion enclosure stops making a ton of sense if I'm on a budget. Frees up more money for focusing on sound-deadening to boot. I like this kind of approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxa8HH3t_Ds
With the visible interior enclosure floating on a rubber/foam pad surrounded by some kinda rockwool-esque filler. Only big downside for me is it'd be heavy as hell, and I may have to move this thing a couple times in the next few years.

For sound-deadening overkill i'm also admiring this enclosure, which ditches viewports entirely and only permits observation of the process via a webcam, which definitely sounds really silly until I price out decently-thick acrylic/polycarb and think about the webcam I already own and don't use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HL5R518NMo

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I think ive followed the trajectory of a lot of people in regards to "oh hey aluminum extrusions are great" *checks linear foot pricing* that's, fine, I can work with that, *actually prices out an enclosure with fasteners and hardware* well uh hmmmmm.

Haha yeah, the cost for 80/20 stuff definitely adds up fast. I recently priced out an order for two 12" extrusions and enough associated hardware to make a motor mount for my lathe and it was almost $60. This was through the 80/20 Inc Garage Sale eBay store which has mostly surplus / returned / damaged items too. Bought it anyway :homebrew:

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'm thinking about building a soundproof (-dampening) enclosure for my Taig.

I built a sound enclosure at work out of 1.5" extrusion and double paned 1/4" polycarb paneling. We were peaking at 85db before and got down to 75db after. Still noisy but direction was to get under 80db so we could have longer shifts in production.

We use TSLOTS brand extrusion and I had panels on both the inside and outside faces. I also had aluminum angle extrusion overlapping the gaps around the access doors to block the sound paths. For our laser enclosures we think "tortured path" just like your water analogy.

For home I'd use maybe 1/2" MDF over a lumber frame to make a 5 sided box and some locating features to help guide it on and off. Might be tricky dealing with chips but some planning can minimize the mess. Maybe the guide features can act as a catch tray or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you stuffed rock wool between those double walls would you see a significant improvement do you reckon?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

DethMarine21 posted:

Haha yeah, the cost for 80/20 stuff definitely adds up fast. I recently priced out an order for two 12" extrusions and enough associated hardware to make a motor mount for my lathe and it was almost $60. This was through the 80/20 Inc Garage Sale eBay store which has mostly surplus / returned / damaged items too. Bought it anyway :homebrew:

It definitely makes sense for that kind of thing, I'm looking at some of the 1x3 or u-channel off-brand stuff for some adjustable jigs because it beats the hell out of mapping out (and then actually machining) all kinds of finicky dowel holes and miter/t-slots. It makes a lot -less- sense for an enclosure where that expensive-rear end extrusion is putting its engineering to work as a table leg or structural member that's never actually going to need almost any of its functionality over its lifetime.

In any case, I just remembered that I have a bunch of salvaged 1/16" sheet lead that's in good shape minus some tack-holes, and apparently 1/16" of lead has the same acoustic absorption as two 1/4" Plexiglas panels with an air gap, which'll probably do very nicely as an intermediate liner up in there with the rockwool between layers of MDF.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 20, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Just do some amateur carpentry and make a insulated sheetrock covered box made out of 2x4s. It won't look pretty, but it'll be quiet. Hard to see through though!

bred
Oct 24, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you stuffed rock wool between those double walls would you see a significant improvement do you reckon?

Yes, if we didn't hit the sound goal with the double wall we were going to stuff some insulation in there. We didn't do it in the first place because it is a cleanroom and non particulating insulation is costly and it would impede the view of the machinery which needs periodic operator interaction.

I only took one acoustics class in school but the math is very similar to heat transfer through walls or electricity through resistors so in my case the sound excites the polycarb, then the polycarbonate excites the air gap, and the air gap excites the outer polycarbonate and that excites the room air. Each interface costs more energy.

The frame is the easiest path for the sound because it is just a piece of aluminum. I'm recommending soft lumber wood because it doesn't transmit vibration like metal will. Sound control is a huge science and you can spend a lot of time thinking about it. I recommend doing something cheap and fast to minimize your investment and start testing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Just do some amateur carpentry and make a insulated sheetrock covered box made out of 2x4s. It won't look pretty, but it'll be quiet. Hard to see through though!

Yeah, that's the proximate plan. Mostly trying to figure out the dimensions (machine plus maximum travel plus a little wiggle room for weird parts and fixturing) and what sort of accommodations i should make to minimize possible cutting fluids from messing things up.
I'm also gonna make some accommodation for cooling the spindle motor, NYCCNC's enclosure had a computer fan + duct with a baffled outlet elsewhere and it wouldn't take much extra work. Throw a metre of LED strip along the top edge and deal with a cable passthrough and i'm laughing.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Yeah, that's the proximate plan. Mostly trying to figure out the dimensions (machine plus maximum travel plus a little wiggle room for weird parts and fixturing) and what sort of accommodations i should make to minimize possible cutting fluids from messing things up.
I'm also gonna make some accommodation for cooling the spindle motor, NYCCNC's enclosure had a computer fan + duct with a baffled outlet elsewhere and it wouldn't take much extra work. Throw a metre of LED strip along the top edge and deal with a cable passthrough and i'm laughing.

Make it 6" bigger than you think you need, because bigger than poo poo you'll need to add something and the box will be exactly half an inch too narrow. Other than that, you can do whatever you like. Sheetrock has some nice sound deadening properties, but doesn't like moisture at all. The inside I'd just use plywood, seal it with urethane, then put some moisture barrier to plastic up to keep the water off it. Fill the inside with either the rigid foam, or stuff it full of the pink panther poo poo. The front door can hang on fence gate hinges, and you can use sticky door sealant tape to make a gasket for it. The closure side can be a simple hasp or cam action latch. You can also put a window in the door made of 1/4" plexi or polycarbonate so you can see that it's failing in real time. Or you can get one of those NEST wide angle webcams or cheapo chinese equivalents and stick it inside to watch stuff if the box is opaque.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

You can also put a window in the door made of 1/4" plexi or polycarbonate so you can see that it's failing in real time.

this really cuts to the quick of it for me

e: but yeah, thanks- I'm making it more complicated than it has to be because I'm good at that, just need to actually build the thing and see how it shakes out before i get too worried about little details.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ambrose Burnside posted:

this really cuts to the quick of it for me

e: but yeah, thanks- I'm making it more complicated than it has to be because I'm good at that, just need to actually build the thing and see how it shakes out before i get too worried about little details.

It's more any CNC code you ever write is gonna gently caress something up, the trick is to figure out what that is and fix it before the cutter breaks or the part does. It's only after you get the code tuned for the tool, workholding, and machine that you can walk away and let it do it's thing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
what are you talking about, i dont make those kinds of mistakes *tries not to look at bent 1/4" plate that looks an awful lot like someone crashed a chuck into it with Haas toolroom mill-spindle-like force at full rapids*

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

When I import my NC file from eCam to Mach3, the toolpaths are completely wrong and I don't know why.

The main window in the image is Mach3, and the little one int he black rectangle is the eCam toolpath as it's supposed to be.

I tried running it on my machine anyways just to test, but it made lots of noises and didn't move anywhere near what it was supposed to.

CNC is no fun right now. I really thought I was close to getting the machine actually making chips.

EDIT: eCam output using their FANUC 2 axis lathe post.

Brekelefuw fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Brekelefuw posted:

When I import my NC file from eCam to Mach3, the toolpaths are completely wrong and I don't know why.

The main window in the image is Mach3, and the little one int he black rectangle is the eCam toolpath as it's supposed to be.

I tried running it on my machine anyways just to test, but it made lots of noises and didn't move anywhere near what it was supposed to.

CNC is no fun right now. I really thought I was close to getting the machine actually making chips.

EDIT: eCam output using their FANUC 2 axis lathe post.

Lathes can be confusing like that, especially in very old times. How old is the lathe youre using this one, which Fanuc control? A 1980s vintage Fanuc 6 series will have different positioning methods than a much newer one.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

CarForumPoster posted:

Lathes can be confusing like that, especially in very old times. How old is the lathe youre using this one, which Fanuc control? A 1980s vintage Fanuc 6 series will have different positioning methods than a much newer one.

It's a Sherline running a UC-100 smooth stepper with 4 KL-4030 stepper drivers (so I can run my 4 axis mill as well as the lathe) and a C10 breakout board.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Brekelefuw posted:

It's a Sherline running a UC-100 smooth stepper with 4 KL-4030 stepper drivers (so I can run my 4 axis mill as well as the lathe) and a C10 breakout board.

In that case I have no idea.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
On my end a lot of canned functions involving arcs freak the gently caress out when I move em from cambam to mach3, 'translating' between gcode 'dialects' seems to cause a lot of weirdness on the hobby level where things aren't nearly as streamlined as with industry-important dialects. And gcode for lathes can get much weirder/run a much wider gamut than with boring ol 3/4-axis mill programs, which would make things worse.

IIRC you don't know gcode, right? You're gonna have to gently caress around with the gcode. Writing my first real program was like pullin teeth but it got me to being able to troubleshoot and modify generated programs, which is the real value. It looks like a real simple program you're trying to run, if I were in your shoes I'd consider sitting down and trying to write it by hand with the aid of gcode references and sample programs. Test it with a simulator program, maybe do some air cuts to know you have the broad strokes right. It's a huge pain in the rear end, nobody does it this way normally, but it's kinda essential for grasping what's going on under the hood.
Now look at your working program and then at the generated one. What's different? What's the rhyme and reason behind what it's doing? Is there a pattern to how it's skewing your original directives? When you figure that out, you can work out what's getting lost in machine translation, and adjust for it going forward.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 24, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ambrose Burnside posted:

On my end a lot of canned functions involving arcs freak the gently caress out when I move em from cambam to mach3, 'translating' between gcode 'dialects' seems to cause a lot of weirdness on the hobby level where things aren't nearly as streamlined as with industry-important dialects. And gcode for lathes can get much weirder/run a much wider gamut than with boring ol 3/4-axis mill programs, which would make things worse.

IIRC you don't know gcode, right? You're gonna have to gently caress around with the gcode. Writing my first real program was like pullin teeth but it got me to being able to troubleshoot and modify generated programs, which is the real value. It looks like a real simple program you're trying to run, if I were in your shoes I'd consider sitting down and trying to write it by hand with the aid of gcode references and sample programs. Test it with a simulator program, maybe do some air cuts to know you have the broad strokes right. It's a huge pain in the rear end, nobody does it this way normally, but it's kinda essential for grasping what's going on under the hood.
Now look at your working program and then at the generated one. What's different? What's the rhyme and reason behind what it's doing? Is there a pattern to how it's skewing your original directives? When you figure that out, you can work out what's getting lost in machine translation, and adjust for it going forward.

Use Fusion360, super simple, easy to do, powerful as gently caress. When you post the code, converting it from a CAM plan and model to the actual G-code, the port-processor does a ton of work to make the output code comply with whatever hosed up specific flavor of the G-code implementation they use. Every single machine has a very specific way it implements anything more complex than G0/G1, even simple arcs can have specific issues, where some controllers don't want lines longer than 40 characters, or more than 5 decimals worth of J or whatever.

For shits and giggles I compared a bog-standard mach3 setup to the most special snowflake controller I could find, and it can be 110% impossible to reconcile. Canned functions are machine controller specific.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I would absolutely advise learning the major gcode commands for a CNC lathe. Probably more than half your parts can be made with just G1/G0. To start, try writing a basic turning program with different depths and feedrates for roughing and finishing.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Yep. I've been going through the code that the cam program spat out to see what the commands meant, and removing any that didn't apply to my setup.
I've also got out my CNC textbooks to start exploring writing my own code for the simpler things I need to turn.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Use Fusion360, super simple, easy to do, powerful as gently caress. When you post the code, converting it from a CAM plan and model to the actual G-code, the port-processor does a ton of work to make the output code comply with whatever hosed up specific flavor of the G-code implementation they use. Every single machine has a very specific way it implements anything more complex than G0/G1, even simple arcs can have specific issues, where some controllers don't want lines longer than 40 characters, or more than 5 decimals worth of J or whatever.

For shits and giggles I compared a bog-standard mach3 setup to the most special snowflake controller I could find, and it can be 110% impossible to reconcile. Canned functions are machine controller specific.

Yeah, after seeing thisoldtony farting around with Fusion I'm getting into it and it's fantastic. I haven't put much time in on my Taig lately but when I get the chance I can hopefully kick Cambam to the curb.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
...speaking of which, finally got some Me Time in the home shop and it feels good to be noticeably-better at this. Much less lost than I used to be and I don't rely on the software nearly so much any more. It's nice to be like, oh, I wanna do a couple simple profiling cuts, lemme just jog over to where I want to be and tab over to MDI, G91, write a couple lines of gcode and get good results faster and more reliably than i used to. That and understanding the quirks of smaller-scale milling. Earlier on I got lovely results and blamed the mill tram but a lot of the time it was just not grasping small tool rigidity and how, no, if you try to take a meaningful cut off the side of a block with the entire side surface of a 3/16" endmill, the fucky results aren't because of column tilt.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I am thinking of getting into some small scale cnc routing, and wanted to know just how rubbish the Chinese diy kits are. I don't need a large workspace, 30cm *30cm would be enough for my purposes, and it would just be wood and maybe acrylic.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

NPR Journalizard posted:

I am thinking of getting into some small scale cnc routing, and wanted to know just how rubbish the Chinese diy kits are. I don't need a large workspace, 30cm *30cm would be enough for my purposes, and it would just be wood and maybe acrylic.
My only experience is with the X-Carve, so while I like it I can't compare it to anything.

But I am confident in saying that if this is your first CNC experience, no matter what route you go make sure what you get is an actual kit that you put together yourself. When something goes wrong (and when you're starting out, it will) knowing how the machine is put together will save you a lot of headaches.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

My personal experience (6040 machine): mechanics are pretty solid, electronics were flakey.

Spindle controller burnt out, and the optoisolators on the CNC parallel board were the limiting factor in speed.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Just ordered a gecko G540.
Decided to switch to it from my current kit to help eliminate assembly error caused by my bad wiring or non understanding.

Anyone interested in 4 kl-4030 stepper drivers and a c10 6 axis breakout board?

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good web page to read about stepper drivers? I read about Geckos and various common arduino drivers but it's just like looking at catalogues and I don't learn much.

Similarly where can I learn about stepper motors and their control parameters? I'm interested in how well you can control the torque, accelerations and velocities - beyond the basic info.

I intend to make a CNC router that can do aluminium and a 6 axis robotic arm soon, preferably using some of the same hardware. I've made 3D printers before and own a RF-45 type mill. For robotic arms it's quite important to control torque and acceleration to prevent 'jerky' movement, and there are equations to predict how much torque you will need (fairly horrible if you don't like vector calculus).

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Mach 3 motor tuning has a graph you can adjust to tell the motor how to accelerate, how fast to go etc.

There are some good code commands to tell the motor to either do exactly as written, or to accelerate and decelerate through the directions, which leads to rounded corners etc. Can't remember which command it is though. That might help with less jerk in a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Mudfly posted:

Can anyone recommend a good web page to read about stepper drivers? I read about Geckos and various common arduino drivers but it's just like looking at catalogues and I don't learn much.

Similarly where can I learn about stepper motors and their control parameters? I'm interested in how well you can control the torque, accelerations and velocities - beyond the basic info.

I intend to make a CNC router that can do aluminium and a 6 axis robotic arm soon, preferably using some of the same hardware. I've made 3D printers before and own a RF-45 type mill. For robotic arms it's quite important to control torque and acceleration to prevent 'jerky' movement, and there are equations to predict how much torque you will need (fairly horrible if you don't like vector calculus).

http://www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-basics.html