Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Not all Corgis are hyper. Mine is super chill and just hangs out on the couch all day unless we rouse him for some activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A.s.P. posted:

Do you give Count any treats? If I take my dog off her usual food and treats routine that could cause some feisty toots too.

The idea of a corgi running away from home and being lost makes me so sad. Glad he's safe now. I'm going to hug my little one now. :kiddo:

I do actually give him some treats. Mostly when he takes his medications. Especially the one that requires me to Inject it by mouth.

Here's another Count pic :3:

He's a real good boy. He follows me all over the house and it's the best. Our Labrador has been tolerating him. As long as Count doesn't get in his face he won't try to bite him. It's not like Counts trying to be mean or fight he's just trying to get to know you Max.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

A.s.P. posted:

Do you give Count any treats? If I take my dog off her usual food and treats routine that could cause some feisty toots too.

The idea of a corgi running away from home and being lost makes me so sad. Glad he's safe now. I'm going to hug my little one now. :kiddo:

Along these lines, I'm thinking it might just be Count getting used to being on new food. I doubt he just happened to be eating the same food he's on now while he was a stray.

...also, this is why people need to microchip their pets.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Along these lines, I'm thinking it might just be Count getting used to being on new food. I doubt he just happened to be eating the same food he's on now while he was a stray.

...also, this is why people need to microchip their pets.

Funny thing about a microchip. Count actually has one but it isn't registered to anyone, the only thing we know is that the chip is from Oklahoma or something.

Also yeah I think it's that he's eating regular food on a normalish diet now. Speaking of which Count is we're guessing 2-3 years old and weighs 30 pounds. What's the usual amount of food a Corgi should eat?Also, (I'm guessing) that at 30 pounds he's a bit overweight??

I've got a lot of questions written down for the vet next visit.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 17, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What freaks me out is the last time we took our dogs to the vet it took them THREE long attempts to find the one's chip since it moved. If she got lost and picked up no one would have that much patience and would assume she didn't have one (if her tags got lost as well).

30lbs is in range, depends on the size of the Corgi. I have one that's 27lbs, one that's 34lbs, and one that's 40lbs and non of them are over/underweight.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Thor turns three in a couple of weeks and he's around 28-30 lbs. The food we fed him was higher in calories than we exercised out of him so his weight was ballooning, so we moved him over to Blue Buffalo Freedom healthy weight. He gets half a cup on the morning and a whole cup at night. The vet is really happy with his weight. He's also on the smaller side, so your mileage may vary. Also depends on how much exercise Count gets.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Mine is 20-23 pounds because she's pretty teeny for a corgi. :3:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Sometimes you take a picture at the right moment. Panda is happy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Panda!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count had his second vet visit today. Overall he's doing great! His skin issues have gotten a lot better and the hair he was missing has grown back fine.

Vet has recommended some Benadryl to help with potential allergies and as far as flea prevention and things I got him one pill of Comfortis. The vet has recommended Nexgard but for the years supply I would like it's about $200 (hoping to grab that next month)

Anyways he's good. He's gained 2 pounds since the first visit so he's 32 lbs now. All in all he's enjoying himself and I'm glad he's in a happy home now.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
A corgi in the driver seat is an apt metaphor for your life now, and everybody's in this thread. Congrats on the healthy little guy!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seems like Count may have an allergy to something. He's been really itchy a lot lately and the Benadryl hasn't done much of anything to help so the vets put him on Apoquel to help. In addition to that we're going to move him from eating chicken to now eating fish/sweet potato.

He's going to start the meds tonight. Got a good feeling about it.

Edit: Had 3 people at the Pet Supermarket ask Count if he ran away from the Queen so I guess that's going to be a thing now. I wasn't ready for it.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Seems like Count may have an allergy to something. He's been really itchy a lot lately and the Benadryl hasn't done much of anything to help so the vets put him on Apoquel to help. In addition to that we're going to move him from eating chicken to now eating fish/sweet potato.

He's going to start the meds tonight. Got a good feeling about it.

Edit: Had 3 people at the Pet Supermarket ask Count if he ran away from the Queen so I guess that's going to be a thing now. I wasn't ready for it.

You could also try lamb. That can help with allergies.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Saturday was 65 degrees outside. Sunday was 30 degrees and snowing.

Luckily, Waffles is the "all weather" type of Corgi and she just rolled with it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count loves car rides. He's good. He rules.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Such a good boy! :kimchi:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Buckle That Corg Tho

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Skeezy posted:

Count loves car rides. He's good. He rules.

Ah, I remember my first days of wearing salmon colored shorts driving with my corgi in my Hyundai.

Seriously, are you me??

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Corgi butts just light up a room. Ask anyone.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper went in for her yearly check up and the vet had noticed that she lost a couple lbs and looked a little bloated, so we took some blood to get tested. Results came back abnormal, but pointed to nothing specific, so we scheduled an ultrasound for the next day given the worst case diagnosis. She ended up crashing that night, and one trip to the emergency vet revealed that she had lymphoma and was bleeding into her stomach.

RIP, she was too young

Pepper was a good dog

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

abaddonis posted:

Pepper went in for her yearly check up and the vet had noticed that she lost a couple lbs and looked a little bloated, so we took some blood to get tested. Results came back abnormal, but pointed to nothing specific, so we scheduled an ultrasound for the next day given the worst case diagnosis. She ended up crashing that night, and one trip to the emergency vet revealed that she had lymphoma and was bleeding into her stomach.

RIP, she was too young

Pepper was a good dog

drat, sorry to hear that! How old was she?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Bird Law posted:

drat, sorry to hear that! How old was she?

She was 8 years old. We have been in contact with our breeder and she hasn't heard of any other dogs in her litter that fell ill

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pepper was a good dog.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

I'm sorry about Pepper, what a beautiful pup.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Crossposting because I noticed this thread and realized this happy little poo poo belongs here as well:

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I too have a part-primitive dog. Here's Bogey, a basenji-corgi mix:

He both barks and makes Wookie noises, and would absolutely eat himself to death if he were ever left with an open bag of food.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

In my next life, I need to come back as my Corgi.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corgis are so good.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Phoneposting my Corgi-German shepherd-great Dane mix Lexi, who at the ripe age of 7 months has come out of her previously very stoic shell. Whenever she gets to do something fun, this poo poo-eating grin comes out. Half the time she's a sweet cuddly baby, the other half the time she's a crazy hyped up little mongrel puppy. I love the poo poo out of her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Phoneposting my Corgi-German shepherd-great Dane mix Lexi, who at the ripe age of 7 months has come out of her previously very stoic shell. Whenever she gets to do something fun, this poo poo-eating grin comes out. Half the time she's a sweet cuddly baby, the other half the time she's a crazy hyped up little mongrel puppy. I love the poo poo out of her.

I love Corgi mixes, because they always seem to be the other breed's head on a stubby Corgi body :allears:.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Speaking of Corgi mixes, finally got my dream Corgi pupper, his name is Rocky Top and he's a Corgi/Heeler mix. Rocky is super chill, catching on to training crazy fast and is easily the coolest pup I've ever met. He's also the bitingest bastard that ever bit, he gets chew toys shoved at him a lot.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

What a cutie. Lexi is also the bitey-est pup I've met. The strategy is always distract, distract, distract. Want to bite my fingers? OH LOOK AT THIS BIG GREEN BEAR THAT NEEDS SOME BITES!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What a cutie. Lexi is also the bitey-est pup I've met. The strategy is always distract, distract, distract. Want to bite my fingers? OH LOOK AT THIS BIG GREEN BEAR THAT NEEDS SOME BITES!

Corgis instinctively nip at heels to herd, but you can train them out of it. My vet told me when mine was a pup to yelp like a wounded puppy whenever she nipped me. It startles them and let's them know to stop. Worked after just a few days if I recall correctly!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Mine is just too playful. She thinks any kind of excitement (yelping or otherwise) is just more play. I'm hoping she grows out of it, since whenever she does it all fun stops, so there's no reason to do it.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

My wife came across a picture of the day we brought Waffles home from the breeder:

I think she was nine weeks old at the time. She slept on my daughter the whole way home, and then she woke up and didn't stop moving for about a year.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

We finally had a day warm enough for us to fire up the grill for dinner. While I was cooking, my assistant was stretched out nearby. She was busy keeping a casual eye on the variety of traffic going to and from the bird feeder hanging up a few meters away.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Toooooooooooo cute!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Every morning we go to the dog park and Lexi looks like she's been through a car wash. Or the opposite of a car wash, where they put mud on you instead of clean it off.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Here's my old boy Roger

Arguably looking forward more to seeing him when I move home later this year than the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Is it a normal corgi thing for them to have a lot of extra skin on their back, like cat levels of extra skin?

• Locked thread