Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'd rather buy a reliable domestic like the honda civic or toyota corolla than a lovely import like the f-150 or mustang

~someone from an alternate universe where people paid attention to where stuff is actually made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

For real, only the crustiest of fogey cares about the foreign/domestic paradigm of where a car was built/assembled. At least in my circle of Canadians.

When I look at a car I'm concerned with build quality, design, and engine technology. The industrial culture of the supposed country of origin has a small bearing on my decision, but only in certain cases.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"I prefer Japanese quality!"

*buys a Civic made in Swindon*

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone want an SUV?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/porsche-cayenne-turbo/1246174386?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-porsche-cayenne-s/1246677637?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Spring is here and it's warm out, best get the van and start working on the kart so i can hit the track soon.

*field it's parked on in dewinton is now a marsh* :cripes:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mary Browns chicken is pretty drat good. Not super oily/greasy like KFC, fries and wedges are good and their salads aren't just a vat of mayo with something in it. Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is their gravy, it's almost like a beef/oxo based gravy but it's not bad for fast food.

Had a 15% off coupon so the Mrs and I went to get some take out for dinner. Ended up with a 20 piece meal and a poo poo-ton of fries, salad for $40. We've got food for days now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The dirt and grime all over the car, it never ends. :gonk:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Mary Browns chicken is pretty drat good. Not super oily/greasy like KFC, fries and wedges are good and their salads aren't just a vat of mayo with something in it. Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is their gravy, it's almost like a beef/oxo based gravy but it's not bad for fast food.

Had a 15% off coupon so the Mrs and I went to get some take out for dinner. Ended up with a 20 piece meal and a poo poo-ton of fries, salad for $40. We've got food for days now.

I prefer chicken on the way but it is in no way healthy food.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't believe you.

In other news, Lethbridge is doing another airshow this year. July 14-16. They're doing another extended Friday show into the evening again which, while I didn't go last time, they supposedly did a good amount of Pyro and the people I heard of that did go said it was pretty good.

Snowboards, usual CF18 demos, C117, US Golden Knights are confirmed. Typically the US sends some static AC and do a demo or two (they did a good A-10 demo a few years back).

Anyone interested in coming down? Weather down here in mid July is usually a pretty safe bet for being dry and hot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The dirt and grime all over the car, it never ends. :gonk:

The juxtaposition of these two posts is causing me a silly amount of giggling.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Such a shame when you look at a high end sub like a Cayenne Turbo and it has a Bose sound system. Same with Cadillac. The new ct6 has something like a 32 speaker bose system. 32 cheap as gently caress overpriced lovely glued paper speakers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Such a shame when you look at a high end sub like a Cayenne Turbo and it has a Bose sound system. Same with Cadillac. The new ct6 has something like a 32 speaker bose system. 32 cheap as gently caress overpriced lovely glued paper speakers.

I had to buy a $125 MOST adapter (copper to bose proprietary fiber optic) for the replacement head unit for the cayenne because of that poo poo. Eventually I'm gonna gut those loving speakers and amps out of there and replace them with something that cost 1/2 or less of the factory option price and sounds twice as good.

Also, you can't get a second battery in the cayennes with bose because the loving sub is in the way. I would have much preferred a factory second battery.......but you can't find a turbo without the kitchen sink of options up right up to what I actually wanted: advanced offroad package (which is impossible to find). I mean....I like the rest. Full leather everyfuckingthing and heated seats and poo poo is nice. But the bose is a PITA, and mine is so old that it didn't even have bluetooth.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Guys I'm scared. I really liked the Volvo V90.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Guys I'm scared. I really liked the Volvo V90.

Do not be afraid, it was a great car.

We should go test drive one sometime.

That was a fun auto show too. I'm still hyped for the swap meet next week though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

That was a fun auto show too. I'm still hyped for the swap meet next week though.

Slung Blade posted:

Also, who's going to the swap meet in red deer?
http://westernerpark.ca/events/409-quick-times-spring-swap

One day only, March 25. Switch and I will be there, anyone want to join us?

If you're coming from the Calgary area you're welcome to car pool with us too.

Come with us and make bad decisions over a delicious morsel from burger baron.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
The internet is bad for my brain. I'm developing an attraction to the Saturn Sky Redline.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

The internet is bad for my brain. I'm developing an attraction to the Saturn Sky Redline.

Time for me to start sending you links to RX8's.
:getin:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Time for me to start sending you links to RX8's.
:getin:

I don't want to hurt you but I must be blunt:

I don't like how RX-8's look :ohdear:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

FUN FACT™ the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice have holes in the frame rails to accept stock engine mounts for the 1/2JZ motors. I guess somebody at GM was unhappy with their choice of powertrain and engineered a better solution.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Come with us and make bad decisions over a delicious morsel from burger baron.

Let me know when you're heading up and i'll try to meet you guys there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TWSS posted:

FUN FACT™ the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice have holes in the frame rails to accept stock engine mounts for the 1/2JZ motors. I guess somebody at GM was unhappy with their choice of powertrain and engineered a better solution.

I feel like that must be some kind of coincidence between the 1JZ and the LS or some other engine in the GM Powertrain Hillbilly Family.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

TWSS posted:

Well that'd be pretty helpful once the LNF incinerates its pistons! :v:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MrChips posted:

Well that'd be pretty helpful once the LNF incinerates its pistons! :v:

Isn't that the point of the LNF? It's like a bottle rocket - put the GMPP tune on it, light it up till it burns out then put something else in there!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

For some reason I had the Saturn Vue in my mind when I read your post. I was an inch away from an intervention.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Pontiac Solstice is a most unrewarding car to watch at autocross.

One of the other students in the weekend-of-autocross-school thing I did a few years ago had one. Every time he popped a cone it would fly straight up and come down right onto the top of the door and then BOUNCE OUT. Not one cone landed inside the stupid car!

Meanwhile, my e36 would just eat cones and grind them up into the front suspension, or wedge them upside-down behind the radiator. Or stuff them up into the wheel well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Let me know when you're heading up and i'll try to meet you guys there.

Saturday morning, we'll probably get there around 10-11 or so.

HOW WILL WE CONTACT YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eh, just let me know here when you're heading in there and i'll aim for around the same time.

beyond that, just look for the head sticking up above the crowd and throw somethin at it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So which one of you was this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/610f3x/my_truck_was_stolen_4_months_ago_today_i_found_it/

Someone here must be either a) owner b) thief c) know pick'n'pull employees :P

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am genuinely surprised that they don't need any proof of ownership to buy a vehicle from someone. Makes me think they don't check for ID of the seller either. Wreckers now join metal scrap yards in the "shady as gently caress" businesses list in my opinion.

That said, I don't think I'd want the truck back at that point if it was mine.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

I am genuinely surprised that they don't need any proof of ownership to buy a vehicle from someone. Makes me think they don't check for ID of the seller either. Wreckers now join metal scrap yards in the "shady as gently caress" businesses list in my opinion.

That said, I don't think I'd want the truck back at that point if it was mine.

I'd be putting dollars on either the owner, or one/many of the employees, 100% knowing where it came from, and that the yards a chop-shop (har har pick'n'pull joke). I guess if the trucks got sentimental value, it's worth grabbing, but yeah, its not looking to be in good shape.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It may have changed since I worked there but we did require proof of ownership but generally we just accepted anything written on a pad of paper as proof, and it usually was just something scribbled on a scrap of paper for alot of guys.

Tow vendors were always sketchy as poo poo though and there were ones during my time there that we stopped accepting vehicles from because too many of them ended up being stolen. You also had a lot of guys that it was fairly obvious were just tossing unclaimed vehicles that they really didn't own from their lot because they needed the space. We only checked the VINs if the police contacted us asking if we had vehicle X, Y or Z.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
drat, here the scrapyards won't even write you a cheque until after they call the MoT with your vin and you sign over the title.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

drat, here the scrapyards won't even write you a cheque until after they call the MoT with your vin and you sign over the title.

AB doesn't really have titles. I'm pretty sure you could register a car with the relevant deets written on a napkin, and even easier if the pink slip was in the car when you stole it so you can tear off the 'transfer of registration' bit which just needs a forged signature.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I finally pulled the trigger.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty sure you could register a car with the relevant deets written on a napkin

Yup. I have done this, more or less.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nice. You can fit a lot of dead hookers in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Time to break it in with a pick n pull trip.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rad. Let me know if you need any extra eyes to get it into your paddock stall. Backing up short trailers can be a bitch.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Yup. I have done this, more or less.

I've written out o bill of sale on a diner napkin to prove it could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Rad. Let me know if you need any extra eyes to get it into your paddock stall. Backing up short trailers can be a bitch.

I am likely going to take you up on this since I'm terrible with trailers to begin with and I'll be doing it in a Corolla with the worse clutch feel in the world.