Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm waiting until the new season of Samurai Jack is over so I can marathon it, and it will be great, but I dunno if it can possibly top my favorite episode of the original run, The Tale of X9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

So was the original.

I am so sad that it isn't in HD. I know it wouldn't make sense for it to be given the era, but STILL

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/kristiyamaguchi/status/843849542562865153

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nah, the designated Mako replacement guy has always been really bad when used in anything above very small doses (ie. third season of Avatar)

Speaking of, in the intro does Jack say it's been 15 years or 50? It sounds like he's saying the former but the captions say the latter (and does make more sense in context).

:aaaaa:

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's 50.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Almost positive it has to be done on the actual website so they can first beg you to stay, then ask you your cancellation reason, and then send you an email in a week begging you to come back and they'll give you some free disc rentals.

The Internet Economy!

e

feedmyleg posted:

You can find out yourself! A fan released a 2 hour movie version of BB last week. I didn't see it, but the link was all over Reddit. At least the nightmare people there had enough sense to trash it in the comments before it was taken down from Vimeo. Sure it's available elsewhere, though.

But on this note, watched a chronological cut of Westworld not too long ago. They fast-forwarded through all the story that didn't directly tie into Dolores's journey into consciousness. It was fantastic. Obviously not as a replacement of the show or anything a first time viewer should watch, but a great experiment, and a great companion piece for anyone wanting to gain a slightly deeper understanding of what exactly happened when. I had a good understanding of the timeline going in, but it added a whole other level seeing it from Dolores's point of view.

But hey, I'm the guy who has watched two different chronological cuts of LOST (one that's a cut of events literally chronologically, one as a cut of the chronology from the characters's subjective POVs, intercutting between narratives happening at the same subjective but different objective times) and loved them, so what do I know?

As an experiment in editing, storytelling, and character these sorts of things are great, supplementary watching when done well. As an attempt at a replacement of the original they're garbage.

Got a link for the Westworld thing? Curious to see it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shageletic posted:

Got a link for the Westworld thing? Curious to see it.

https://theoutline.com/post/637/westworld-recut-into-single-timeline

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, that's the one.

Escobarbarian posted:

feedmyleg are you watching the new Samurai Jack? easily the best-looking western animated TV I've ever seen mmmmmfffffffffff

Lurdiak posted:

I'm waiting until the new season of Samurai Jack is over so I can marathon it, and it will be great, but I dunno if it can possibly top my favorite episode of the original run, The Tale of X9.

Same. I also might catch up on the old show before doing so, as I watched it when I was younger but relatively sporadically, and so I probably missed the plot and character subtleties. But it's always been an incredible show.

I loved how Genndy made his 2D version of Clone Wars keep that same minimal-dialogue, visual storytelling feel. I hate that he's been wasting his massive talent making Hotel Transylvania films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm guessing that was about paying the bills after his robot show about a robot that it's impossible to make good toys out of somehow failed to work out.

What's funny about Samurai Jack is that the last episode ever made (or ever aired, I forget) is probably one of the worst ones. It's just a Lone Wolf and Cub tribute that doesn't have a lot going on. Aku's not in it, no hints about Jack's future destiny, not a lot of dialogue, almost no character work for Jack, not too many amazing fight scenes. And then boom, that's the last Samurai Jack thing ever for a decade+.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 23, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm guessing that was about paying the bills after his robot show about a robot that it's impossible to make good toys out of somehow failed to work out.

But two sequels? Ah well. At least it's keeping kids interested in classic monsters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

But two sequels? Ah well. At least it's keeping kids interested in classic monsters.

I don't think he was nearly as involved in the sequels.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He directed 2 and is directing the upcoming third one as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He directed the second, and is writing and directing the third. But maybe it's directing in a hands-off Wes Anderson Fantastic Mr. Fox kinda way? I think it's just a solid paying gig since nobody's exactly buying up 2D animated pitches these days.

I was really excited when he was consulting on Iron Man II and working on Power of the Dark Crystal. Seems like he'd be great for big-budget action films which are so heavily animated in their big set pieces.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remember how good that Popeye test footage was :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

What's funny about Samurai Jack is that the last episode ever made (or ever aired, I forget) is probably one of the worst ones. It's just a Lone Wolf and Cub tribute that doesn't have a lot going on. Aku's not in it, no hints about Jack's future destiny, not a lot of dialogue, almost no character work for Jack, not too many amazing fight scenes. And then boom, that's the last Samurai Jack thing ever for a decade+.

It was actually totally possible to make great toys for Symbionic Titan and I don't know why they didn't. Would have bought all of them :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like Snak said I think it would be interesting (or at least, more interesting than making yet another YouTube Bee Movie meme) to see a bunch of different (talented) editors see how many completely different movies you could make out of Breaking Bad.

I'd be especially interested in an edit that makes it into a full-on comedy (not even a "black comedy" just a straight up comedy, I'm sure it can be done)

Or the edit that shows us the story of a police man who just wants to collect rocks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

'The Knick' has been officially cancelled by Cinemax.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when a Luke Cage comic series written and drawn by Tartakovsky was announced and ended up never materialising.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember when a Luke Cage comic series written and drawn by Tartakovsky was announced and ended up never materialising.

It was released a few months back.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Yep, that's the one.

Same. I also might catch up on the old show before doing so, as I watched it when I was younger but relatively sporadically, and so I probably missed the plot and character subtleties. But it's always been an incredible show.

I loved how Genndy made his 2D version of Clone Wars keep that same minimal-dialogue, visual storytelling feel. I hate that he's been wasting his massive talent making Hotel Transylvania films.

This is the Clone Wars I know and love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

It was released a few months back.

Oh, man, it passed me by. I'll have to get caught up. Was it any good?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

bull3964 posted:

'The Knick' has been officially cancelled by Cinemax.

I knew it was gonna happen since it's been so long but fffffuck that show was so gorgeous to watch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, man, it passed me by. I'll have to get caught up. Was it any good?

Eh, I didn't much care for the first issue so I never read the rest. It seemed to be trying too hard to crib that '70s Power Man style while at the same time doing a limp lampooning of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CAGE! is good but pretty drat inessential. Worth it for Tartakovsky fans, I guess.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished Goliath. I enjoyed it and Billy Bob Thorton was great but the writing felt sloppy.

I'm looking at Hand of God next. Is that worth getting into? Someone around here said it's what True Detective Season 2 should have been, which is high praise.

*Or maybe they meant Bosch...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished Goliath. I enjoyed it and Billy Bob Thorton was great but the writing felt sloppy.

I'm looking at Hand of God next. Is that worth getting into? Someone around here said it's what True Detective Season 2 should have been, which is high praise.

*Or maybe they meant Bosch...

You seen Patriot yet? It's on Amazon if you haven't.

I've only heard bad things about Hand Of God, but the goon who said that thing about True Detective was talking about the second season so hopefully that suggests an improvement.

Mozart In The Jungle is very very good, if you want some fluff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"You can't give zero stars!"
"Well I give zero fucks!"

One more episode of Review. Sigh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

You seen Patriot yet? It's on Amazon if you haven't.

I've only heard bad things about Hand Of God, but the goon who said that thing about True Detective was talking about the second season so hopefully that suggests an improvement.

Mozart In The Jungle is very very good, if you want some fluff.

I haven't seen Patriot yet, heard mixed things about it. I've seen some of Mozart in The Jungle, need to get back into it.

What about Fox's The Exorcist? I've seen people comparing the quality and atmosphere to Hannibal, which is bold.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't seen Patriot yet, heard mixed things about it. I've seen some of Mozart in The Jungle, need to get back into it.

What about Fox's The Exorcist? I've seen people comparing the quality and atmosphere to Hannibal, which is bold.

The Exorcist is okay. It's bonkers. I feel like it could have used like 3 fewer episodes, but I thought it was neat and the finale was good. I assume it's loving cancelled, but it had a proper ending, no cliffhanger or anything.

Patriot is really good. Like, one of the best shows I've ever seen in terms of quality. Writing, acting, visuals, it's unique.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

"You can't give zero stars!"
"Well I give zero fucks!"

One more episode of Review. Sigh.

I had to pause this so many times during the Helen Keller review.

"For centuries this brave woman has been the butt of tasteless jokes. That will end today"

"Ouch"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ego-bot posted:

I had to pause this so many times during the Helen Keller review.

"For centuries this brave woman has been the butt of tasteless jokes. That will end today"

"Ouch"

His lawyer is so unbelievably bad. She just needed to try a little harder to get that sensory deprivation helmet off.

Forest's interpretation of the Forgiveness review had me in tears.

"You are a broken robot!"

Edit: VV K

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 24, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guys try not to spoil every joke in an episode of TV that's been out for a handful of hours in the general chat thread, thanks :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

2 weeks until iZombie and Prison Break.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

2 weeks until iZombie and Prison Break.

Wooo on iZombie! Prison Break, eh. I remember how much hype it had originally that it was going to be a 1 season show with a standalone story...and then it got good ratings. I watched the end of Season 1 and said "Great show, good time to stop." :D

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

Wooo on iZombie! Prison Break, eh. I remember how much hype it had originally that it was going to be a 1 season show with a standalone story...and then it got good ratings. I watched the end of Season 1 and said "Great show, good time to stop." :D

Then you hosed up.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Patriot is really good. Though out of interest what bad things have you heard about it?

The main criticisms I've heard of it are
a) That it's quirky. This I think is true, but it's up to personal taste whether quirkiness is a good thing or a bad thing.
b) That it's emotionally hollow or lifeless. This I FIERCELY disagree with and I think anyone who makes this criticism has shown their inability to distinguish between the absence of feelings and the repression of feelings. Calling John Tavner "bland" just seems so insane to me.
c) That it's too silly for the dramatic parts to work. This I don't agree with. In the real world, intelligent competent can still create absolute farces especially when they're acting out of desperation so the way things go wrong is decently believable to me. The characters do have some silly quirks to them but they still largely come across as believable people rather than cartoon characters. And just because a show is comedic doesn't mean it can't have emotional weight.
d) That it's tone changes too much or changes weirdly. This has some truth to it I think, but I think it's really subjective whether you find those shifts interesting or offputting.

Elite fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 24, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Then you hosed up.

Seriously. Seasons 1 AND 2 are the best part of Prison Break. 2 is probably the best season. Everyone who says "durr, how can you have a show called Prison Break where they get out of prison?" is being dumb.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IRQ posted:

Then you hosed up.

Snak posted:

Seriously. Seasons 1 AND 2 are the best part of Prison Break. 2 is probably the best season. Everyone who says "durr, how can you have a show called Prison Break where they get out of prison?" is being dumb.

Oh I never said it was stupid, I had a lot of friends that loved it. I just stopped personally. That was a time frame I wasn't watching much TV anyway. :D

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I don't know how you could look at the end of season one of Prison Break and be like "Welp thats done. Nothing more to see here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bentacos posted:

Yeah I don't know how you could look at the end of season one of Prison Break and be like "Welp thats done. Nothing more to see here."

I've heard multiple people, both online and in person, say I didn't see the point after they got out so I stopped watching.

Some people only care about plot-driven drama, and only want it to exist in a specific framework that they expect. Like, I think that, to these people, Prison Break was specifically about sneaking around behind guards and making crazy plans. Otherwise "it's not Prison Break".

• Locked thread