Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tallgeese posted:

But in practice you and I both know that it's something that winds up in the arsenals of the PVP-focused, meaning that realistically only gank squads and invasion aficionados will have it.

I don't think that would be the case for long. I think people would learn especially since this is the 3rd installment and people are becoming accustomed to how a souls game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
The real quality gank squads will have a red swing a few times at the host then dance a little jig next to you while you get savaged. If you act like you're suspicious they may even hit the host once! Gotta make you feel special as they gently caress you.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
When I'm fighting a gank squad post pontiff I generally just use force to knock people off of ledges. If I kill one or two phantoms I feel it is a victory, as other invaders will come along to an easier world. Also wastes their seeds.

There are a couple of groups on PS4 that are super coordinated, they all dress as ninjas and use dark drift. They hide in a random place and kill the gently caress out of you if you find them. It's kind of neat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

Also, did I read that right that the dude who translated the patchnotes issued a correction and that heavy armor is getting a defense buff and an overall weight reduction? That's loving awesome. I'm really excited about the Fashion Souls implications.

If this is true, that's huge! I thought the "more armor but more weight" change sounded awful, this on the other hand sounds amazing.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Please please please let that be true

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Please please please let that be true

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't remember when or where i heard the theory that londor is not where its people are coming from, but where they're going to; but after completing the lord of hollows ending last night (me and my roommate blasted through all three endings on three separate saves in one go) i think whoever came up with that theory's on to something

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tollymain posted:

i don't remember when or where i heard the theory that londor is not where its people are coming from, but where they're going to; but after completing the lord of hollows ending last night (me and my roommate blasted through all three endings on three separate saves in one go) i think whoever came up with that theory's on to something

I guess that's a possibility but I don't see any convincing reason to believe it, and some descriptions (Dead Again in particular) make it sound like Londor is a place that the hollows of Londor already inhabit.

e: of course given the kind of dimension warping poo poo that's already going down in Lothric, I guess there's no reason why it has to be mutually exclusive

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 23, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you invade into a place that's obviously a gank squad world, why don't you just crystal back out? I mean, you have the Red Eye Orb, don't you?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
londor basically exists as the hollow promised land according the sable church and you are their messiah

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Inspector_666 posted:

If you invade into a place that's obviously a gank squad world, why don't you just crystal back out? I mean, you have the Red Eye Orb, don't you?

I do when given the chance if it looks hopeless.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm never one to avoid a challenge, I say as my face gets pummeled into mush.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Inspector_666 posted:

Because I'm playing dark souls. Death doesn't matter

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Fighting ganks is actually really fun

until you invade the guys with a mage, a greatshield/spear user, and a carthus curved sword user, then everything is pain

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jordbo posted:

Fighting ganks is actually really fun

until you invade the guys with a mage, a greatshield/spear user, and a carthus curved sword user, then everything is pain

This is the meta I see most often with gank squads. ONE of those I can counter. All 3? nah. I usually just run off and hide until another invader shows up to help the odds. 3v2 is better than 3v1 by a MILE.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They should have given mound makers higher preference to invading a world already with a red phantom.

Nobody knows which side he's on! He'll take out the weakest.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
if i hit a gank squad i usually run and hide and block communications on steam to the buddies that the host repeatedly summons so they'll no longer be able to summon them again while i'm in the game when they kill themselves to fill their estus back up

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Anyway I tried forcing some co-op on a watchdog, a mad phantom, and a darkmoon blade in a seeded world

we all got along nicely and progressed together until I got lost in the deep swamps and got murdered by dogs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kewpuh posted:

if i hit a gank squad i usually run and hide and block communications on steam to the buddies that the host repeatedly summons so they'll no longer be able to summon them again while i'm in the game when they kill themselves to fill their estus back up

wait what

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

if you go to view players and recent games in steam, it shows you the people you're in the game with. if you go to their profile and block communications, itll prevent you from being in the same game with them when it does its matchmaking. it wont do anything about the current situation though, but if they drop and the host tries to resummon while you're in the game, it'll fail to summon

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

if you go to view players and recent games in steam, it shows you the people you're in the game with. if you go to their profile and block communications, itll prevent you from being in the same game with them when it does its matchmaking. it wont do anything about the current situation though, but if they drop and the host tries to resummon while you're in the game, it'll fail to summon

:vince:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

Everything has changed today

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That would be unusual and quite a first for Dark Souls. I'd have to see a verification.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Probably the dumbest thing I've done with a gank squad is invade into Cruxifiction Woods as a Watchdog, hike over to the very end of Farron Keep just before the Watchers, and have a seat.

I watched a two-hour movie and came back, and well, the hosts had cleared out half of the swamp looking for me. Probably wasn't the nicest thing to do, but hey, I guess the game allows it if the whole swamp's up for grabs!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I've always fought the Champ "properly" because I love the fight, but I decided to try out parrying on this run...

...it completely trivializes the entire fight huh? I killed him with only ripostes :darksouls:

e: unrelated, but have they changed anything about armor (or lack thereof, rather) since release? Do I still take a flat 10% more damage from everything by not wearing any pants a hat?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inspector_666 posted:

Invaders should leave with the host's beating heart in their clutches, or die on their feet like men, no matter the odds. I'll never have the shame of stained pants!

It probably helps that I usually invade with zero souls so I don't really lose anything.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Kewpuh posted:

goddamn put that in the op

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Willfrey posted:

goddamn put that in the op
Or don't because having the invincible floating t pose occasionally backstabbing me from across the room be able to dictate whether or not I can can co-op makes pvp an even bigger cancer upon the game than it already is.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Asehujiko posted:

Or don't because having the invincible floating t pose occasionally backstabbing me from across the room be able to dictate whether or not I can can co-op makes pvp an even bigger cancer upon the game than it already is.

Getting summoned via red-sign into a 3v1 ganksquad is far more common and a much different than getting invaded while you and two dudes clear a level and getting lagstabbed or hacked. I'm guessing this trick works both ways so just block him?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After 6 years, they finally loving fixed it.

http://imgur.com/2UTuPOd

YESSSSSSSSS

e: brb putting this on half my builds

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

gently caress. YES. gently caress YES.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

YESSSSSSSSS

:aaa:

Is the patch out? Steam hasn't downloaded anything for me, and my helmet doesn't have a plume :ohdear:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

:aaa:

Is the patch out? Steam hasn't downloaded anything for me, and my helmet doesn't have a plume :ohdear:

Sorry my dude, on PC it's 5am EST.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
what helmet is that

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

what helmet is that

Looks like Dragon Slayer Ornstein's Helmet. Never realized the plume wasn't a thing, never paid attention to it, because I wear Faraam armor all the time

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Fly Molo posted:

YESSSSSSSSS

:derp:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Nice change.

It's so good people can't even bring themselves to complain that FROM didn't document it in the patch notes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

Sorry my dude, on PC it's 5am EST.

Oh :saddowns:

Does anyone here have the patch yet and have checked out the poison/toxic changes? Is it actually useful in PvE now? I've always loved damage over time effects in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also now there's a symbol next to bonfires where there's the most online players in your level range, like in DS2:SotFS.

And the heavy armor weight reduction is decent, I was able to move up two characters to full havels from havel/exile without breaking 69.9%.