Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Blind Rasputin posted:

When I was new to this game, and got my first Asp explorer. I took it on a multi-k Ly trip out to I think the America Nebulas or something. It took me about a week of casual play hopping around and was great fun. Had a ton of planets I had discovered and named and some good star data.

So I get back to the bubble and aim for the FSD engineer to rank her up by turning in all the exploration data. As I'm breaking orbit and coming in to land, I was a bit new to the whole planetary landing gauges and HUD, and I way way misjudge the planet's gravity. Suddenly realizing the ground is approaching fast as gently caress, trying everything to arrest my descent, I lawn dart so loving hard into the outpost. Ship destroyed, data lost. Respawn like 20 jumps away in some no-name place from a week ago.

Have never forgiven myself for that.

I had something similar to that very nearly happen to me on my first trip out to see the FSD engineer in my shiny new Asp Explorer. On any planet with more than about 1g gravity, I found that I have to pitch around and use the main thrusters and boost to slow down from the glide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can anyone explain to me what destroying the various submodules I can target on an enemy ship do? I cannot seem to find reliable info. Like I get disabling thrusters would make them drift but do they permanently lose thrust? What happens if I destroy their FSD?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sard posted:

:wtc: are there actually people using a joystick where the X axis is set to yaw instead of roll?

It's a lot easier to keep guns on target if your X is yaw and twist/modifier button+X does roll.

Krycek posted:

One major difference is that CH does not have twist on the stick. They did this partly for durability reasons, less moving parts to gently caress up. So your choices for roll controls are to either bind buttons to roll R/L, giving up analog control of roll for digital (this is what I did)...

...Wait a min - I've got a CH too, there's a button in the game's control options that swaps the X-axis between yaw and roll specifically because of that. I'll see if I can find the name.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone explain to me what destroying the various submodules I can target on an enemy ship do? I cannot seem to find reliable info. Like I get disabling thrusters would make them drift but do they permanently lose thrust? What happens if I destroy their FSD?

I didn't do a lot of PVP, but on an NPC:
  • Powerplant completely fucks them over and they're dead in the water; continuing to shoot it while it's at 0% will pop the NPC
  • FSD should prevent them from waking (usually they're gone by the time you think to hit the FSD though)
  • Engines causes them to stop (but they're still shooting usually)

And NPCs don't repair modules, so it's basically permanent. In practice this means you always target the PP on anything Dropship-sized and up.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I regret uninstalling. Launcher is still poo poo, but added bonus of a 0.02mb/s download of the game to be done in 10 days.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sard posted:

I had a kind of similar issue where using the mouse nub on mine would randomly trigger a BSOD which is a bit upsetting. I got around the issue by uninstalling all of the extra HOTAS software and sticking to reinstalling just the drivers. If you're cool with not using the profiler for macros or whatever (and not having a functional nub, ofc) then just do that.

That's how I have it, just have the drivers. It's OK because as I say it is fine in game, but it is worth mentioning I think.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Good Dumplings posted:

It's a lot easier to keep guns on target if your X is yaw and twist/modifier button+X does roll.

Don't believe this man's lies.

Good Dumplings posted:

And NPCs don't repair modules, so it's basically permanent. In practice this means you always target the PP on anything Dropship-sized and up.

Not true, they can repair/reboot modules. However, this takes so long they're dead and blown up before it ever becomes a problem.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Good Dumplings posted:

I can understand using the "swap roll/yaw" toggle for fine aim; I actually do it myself. But man, the idea of having your default resting X axis state be yaw just feels kinesthetically unnatural.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Sard posted:

I can understand using the "swap roll/yaw" toggle for fine aim; I actually do it myself. But man, the idea of having your default resting X axis state be yaw just feels kinesthetically unnatural.

I can definitely get it and it's probably because I grew up with X being yaw in every other sim; for me having X on roll means you're constantly twirling around the target lead, getting near it but not quite. That's fine if you have gimbals, but once you have rails/PACs or want fighter shenanigans it's a big pain.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Started playing this after having it for awhile. Using an Xbox controller with a VR headset, seems to work pretty good. Making my way out to goon territory, nearly burned up in a few stars.

Did a couple of transport missions when I got started, so atleast I got a bit of money to start. Haven't got in a fire fight yet, don't imagine that's go well with the starter ship.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Phuzun posted:

Started playing this after having it for awhile. Using an Xbox controller with a VR headset, seems to work pretty good. Making my way out to goon territory, nearly burned up in a few stars.

Did a couple of transport missions when I got started, so atleast I got a bit of money to start. Haven't got in a fire fight yet, don't imagine that's go well with the starter ship.

It used to be able to go quite well right after the original launch if you were smart enough to just follow the police in Resource Extraction Sites, scanning what they are shooting at and then waiting until AFTER the "WANTED" sign pops up before opening up on them before they hit 0% hull in order to get in on that bounty.

But that was a long time ago when unmodded Twin Plasma Accelerator Vipers killing Elite Pirate Lord Anacondas on Assassination missions was the best way to make money early to midgame to the tune of 400k total between bounties and mission pay if you brought a Kill Warrant Scanner, so my information is probably out of date.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I grew up on Descent and Freespace, so X-axis for yaw and twist for roll has always been my go to. I actually feel like it's easier to be precise that way. In Elite's flight model it works great because you'll only be using small amounts of X-axis for minor yaw corrections. So overall you're physically moving the stick around a lot less than if you were using the X-axis to roll. And it's just easier to physically dintinguish the twisting motion and pitching motion when doing both at once than it is to separate pitching and yawing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groggy nard posted:

It used to be able to go quite well right after the original launch if you were smart enough to just follow the police in Resource Extraction Sites, scanning what they are shooting at and then waiting until AFTER the "WANTED" sign pops up before opening up on them before they hit 0% hull in order to get in on that bounty.

But that was a long time ago when unmodded Twin Plasma Accelerator Vipers killing Elite Pirate Lord Anacondas on Assassination missions was the best way to make money early to midgame to the tune of 400k total between bounties and mission pay if you brought a Kill Warrant Scanner, so my information is probably out of date.

Still works. Hide behind asteroids and pop out to poke the target every so often so you still get kill credit, and don't aggro anything in a wing cause its buddies are probably small and fast and will come get ya.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sard posted:

I blame 90's arcade-style space fighter games. I imagine a lot of people who got started with X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, or even as late as Independence War are probably used to x-axis being yaw.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I blame 90's arcade-style space fighter games. I imagine a lot of people who got started with X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, or even as late as Independence War are probably used to x-axis being yaw.

I try to keep even Elite's controls relatively similar to my combat flight sims' general control scheme and consider X to yaw just morally wrong and unjustified.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I finally got my joystick set up and played some tonight. I haven't played since really early on. I think back then trying to find gold floating out and space was k e of the best ways to make money. Obviously a lot has changed since then. I did a couple of missions and took data to different stations. I have like 50k. What should I be doing next? Whatever? I'd hope the data run missions are basically designed for newbies to scrape up some cash.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

El Perkele posted:

I try to keep even Elite's controls relatively similar to my combat flight sims' general control scheme and consider X to yaw just morally wrong and unjustified.

This. Especially coming from thousands of hours in actual aircraft I'd probably have to lobotomize myself to ever remap that muscle memory. I also don't have much issue keeping beam weapons on target in most fights.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sard posted:

:wtc: are there actually people using a joystick where the X axis is set to yaw instead of roll?

For space games, I always use the x axis for yaw. If I'm playing X-Plane, x axis is set to roll. Is that weird? Aren't the default controls to have joystick x-axis do yaw?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Krycek posted:

For space games, I always use the x axis for yaw. If I'm playing X-Plane, x axis is set to roll. Is that weird? Aren't the default controls to have joystick x-axis do yaw?
The defaults were X roll/twist Yaw for both my t16000m and X-55.

Elite is a game that deliberately places the emphasis on roll and pitch over yaw so to me it makes sense to have those on the main axes of the stick :shrug:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

So I finally got my joystick set up and played some tonight. I haven't played since really early on. I think back then trying to find gold floating out and space was k e of the best ways to make money. Obviously a lot has changed since then. I did a couple of missions and took data to different stations. I have like 50k. What should I be doing next? Whatever? I'd hope the data run missions are basically designed for newbies to scrape up some cash.

The current hotness is to do data point scan missions in the Quince system. There is a good post a few pages back with all the details, but basically you stack 20 missions of the "scan this data point" and it turns out that all the missions are for the exact same data point thus completing all 20 missions in one go round. This requires an srv and the Horizons xpac because you land on the surface.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Go to quince. Land at millerport. Bring a small ship that can do basic system scan, detailed surface scan, land, and deploy srv. Board scum up as many planetary scan/civil war scan missions as you can (20 is the cap). After you warm up the system for a few rounds (the first rounds can be tedious to make everyone cordial) it will take you probably only one or two board swaps to fill up with 500k-1.1mil missions.

Once ready you undock, do a system scan immediately. All missions will proc for the planet right in front of you that millerport orbits, go fly towards the "structure scan thing" on the planet and basically keep flying towards it until it resolves into an outpost. All missions proc to the same drat outpost. Land, srv over to the outpost and scan the data link in turret mode. All the missions will complete at once. Then go dock at millerport to turn them all in.

It takes so little time to make 10 mil or more and level up it's just stupid. You can rinse repeat so fast too. The only problem is catching a 500credit bounty sometimes for trespassing at the outpost but it doesn't matter since the planet and station are so close there's really no time to get caught.

If anyone has a way of avoiding that bounty that would be cool to know.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Natsuumi posted:

Not true, they can repair/reboot modules. However, this takes so long they're dead and blown up before it ever becomes a problem.

This is also the bane of NPC piracy - puts you on a timer, or you continuously shut them down after they repair. More work than necessary IMO, but I guess it's ~realistic~ behaviour

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Krycek posted:

The current hotness is to do data point scan missions in the Quince system. There is a good post a few pages back with all the details, but basically you stack 20 missions of the "scan this data point" and it turns out that all the missions are for the exact same data point thus completing all 20 missions in one go round. This requires an srv and the Horizons xpac because you land on the surface.

Is Quince just money, or couldn't you use it to grind Imperial reputation, too? Need to work on muh iCutter authorization.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Drake_263 posted:

Is Quince just money, or couldn't you use it to grind Imperial reputation, too? Need to work on muh iCutter authorization.
Both, it's imperial system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Krycek posted:

This is the correct way to do it and the defaults are all wrong. In a spacesim, yaw works like you'd want it to, so you obviously use yaw to aim primarily.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Krycek posted:

That makes sense in most spacesims because yaw is the primary way of turning but I personally think that it doesn't make as much sense in Elite because Elite specifically emphasizes rolling to turn. But I mean hey if it works for you go for it dude.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dwesa posted:

Both, it's imperial system.

Excellent. Finally have some time off work and I got my Rift working last week, time to embrace Imperial decadence.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Krycek posted:

Interesting, thank you. That seems... A lot faster than what I'm doing now. I'll see if I can figure out what that all means and give it a shot. I'm sure I'll be back with questions!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting, thank you. That seems... A lot faster than what I'm doing now. I'll see if I can figure out what that all means and give it a shot. I'm sure I'll be back with questions!

It's pretty simple. If you have Horizons, get your rear end to Quince. Buy a ship that can support a SRV (the little rover). A simple Hauler can do this. You don't need anything else. Go on the mission board and look for all the missions about scanning data points on the nearby planet. Pick up as many as you can. Then swap to a different play mode (Open <> Private <> Solo) to make the boards generate new missions. Pick up more. Swap play modes again. Pick up more. Continue until you have 20, which is the maximum. Fly to the planet, land, deploy the SRV. Putter over to the single scan point at the objective. Scan it. BAM, all 20 missions are complete. Fly back to the station. Cash in your missions. Repeat.

The whole cycle takes about 15 minutes once you've done it once or twice. The hardest parts are getting the contacts to give you the missions in the first place (you may have to do some unrelated missions for a bit until you hit Cordial with them), and figuring out how to get your SRV pointed at the data scan point. After that it's rinse and repeat until you've made all the fat stacks of cash you want.

I recommend you always go to the planet to scan in Open Play mode, because if you're in the vague vicinity of the scan point and someone else scans it, it (for some reason) counts for you, too! I've had missions completed this way before I even landed my ship, which cuts off a good chunk of time.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 24, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DrDork posted:

I recommend you always go to the planet to scan in Open Play mode, because if you're in the vague vicinity of the scan point and someone else scans it, it (for some reason) counts for you, too! I've had missions completed this way before I even landed my ship, which cuts off a good chunk of time.
I finished those runs maybe 99% thanks to someone else doing those scans.

Also, if you don't mind suiciding, you can just crash into planet or self-destruct after your missions are updated. That way you don't have to fly back to station and you won't lose rewards.

Edit: yes, you can fit SRV into a sidewinder.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 24, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

^^ayy lmao

Will a sidewinder take an SRV, and if so can you crash/suicide to get back to the mission board quicker?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes. Yes.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah if you're flying back at all you're doing it wrong, and an Hauler? I'm out like $1400 in insurance each run of ~3m cr

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DrDork posted:

It's pretty simple. If you have Horizons, get your rear end to Quince. Buy a ship that can support a SRV (the little rover). A simple Hauler can do this. You don't need anything else. Go on the mission board and look for all the missions about scanning data points on the nearby planet. Pick up as many as you can. Then swap to a different play mode (Open <> Private <> Solo) to make the boards generate new missions. Pick up more. Swap play modes again. Pick up more. Continue until you have 20, which is the maximum. Fly to the planet, land, deploy the SRV. Putter over to the single scan point at the objective. Scan it. BAM, all 20 missions are complete. Fly back to the station. Cash in your missions. Repeat.

The whole cycle takes about 15 minutes once you've done it once or twice. The hardest parts are getting the contacts to give you the missions in the first place (you may have to do some unrelated missions for a bit until you hit Cordial with them), and figuring out how to get your SRV pointed at the data scan point. After that it's rinse and repeat until you've made all the fat stacks of cash you want.

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to type this up. It explained some of the question marks I had.

And thanks for the other responses, got an idea of how to do it now!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
You might want to do Quince in Solo/Private group mode. Last time I tried it in open there were so many people doing the same poo poo it was glitchy as hell. It caused the game to crash twice on me. This is on an i7/16GB RAM/Samsung 850 SSD/GTX970.

It's still pretty quick money, even without getting someone else to complete the scan for you.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

oh also you can pick up more missions by switching from open play to solo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently I can't get to Quince from where I'm at now (Kremainn). When I do the route planner it's about 500 LY but fails to find a route. I'll just putz around for a bit and either upgrade my Sidewinder so I can go further or upgrade to a ship that can make the jumps. Thanks guys for answering my newbie questions. This game can be super overwhelming!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yep, you need a better FSD. Or a better ship, if you want. That's what I did-- saved up from bounty hunting till I had a few mil for a Keelback, then made my way to Quince in that. 30m later, I'm not sure when enough's enough.

Are you in the Discord?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

that exploit sounds sweet but once i do that for a week and have enough to buy one of everything, is there any game left?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Efexeye posted:

that exploit sounds sweet but once i do that for a week and have enough to buy one of everything, is there any game left?

That's what I am wondering. I've probably accelerated through about 2 months of earnings in about 2 weeks. Hmm. Nevermind. At least I've got 2.3 to look forward to.

e: maybe having no need to focus on making money is a healthier way to play though? Just doing exploration and messing around in wing.

If you're having trouble getting to Quince a Hauler with A rated FSD will do the job cheaply. Just make sure you fit a fuel scoop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

Yep, you need a better FSD. Or a better ship, if you want. That's what I did-- saved up from bounty hunting till I had a few mil for a Keelback, then made my way to Quince in that. 30m later, I'm not sure when enough's enough.

Are you in the Discord?

I'm in the general SA Discord but I think you guys use a different one. I'll hop on there shortly.

So, I went to a starport and figured out that I actually have 3 other ships floating around. An Eagle and 2 Viper MKVI, maybe from the last time I played? It's weird because my character was reset and I had 1,000 monies and was stuck in a Private instance until I jumped somewhere. But I guess they left me my ships from Beta? I dunno, but I am transferring a Viper MKVI now and I should be good to go. I know I shouldn't fly something I can't afford to lose, but if I have an Eagle and another Viper I think I should be okay.

• Locked thread