Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
how long until the reagan battalion goes after lil lucian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Wikkheiser posted:

i have a wild-rear end theory that people are reacting on the right and left against changes in the mainstream gay culture in recent years. or at least the outward facing of it that is presented to the public. the public image of gay men (in particular which i will use as an example) were either as sexual deviants or richard simmons. now it's better in some ways but i think a lot of people find it stifling.

the new image is like... NOT deviant. NOT clownish. but also NOT threatening or subversive. you are supposed to be a well-adjusted Good Gay with the Lifetime Achievement Award teaching everyone what it all means. and this is tied up with liberal politics. but individuals are complicated and what if i have a bad day and don't want to be the Good Gay, huh!?!?

so the reaction is happening on the right, and it's kind of a throwback to an earlier era. and it's also happening on the left with the alt-pride festivals now, which is reacting against white Happy Gay man who works in an office, but also tend to really explicitly frame themselves as recapturing the carnal hedonism of the queer past that has been forgotten and etc. etc.

also i really loving dislike lou reed. oh he poo poo on people during an eightball orgy: how transgressive and liberating. he really redeemed the world with that

i would say there's a lot of them. not most. but probably like the general public. (which is a lot)

so it's will and grace's fault then, pretty much

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

how long until the reagan battalion goes after lil lucian?
not sure he'll make it that long. i think the far-right self-destructive gay archetype is like a motor that speeds up and then explodes, only to restart except it's faster than the preceding cycle. and there can only be one at any given time, like Highlander. so eventually the cycles will speed up so fast that becoming the far-right gay of the moment will mean instant and total material and spiritual obliteration.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id watch that anime

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wikkheiser posted:

not sure he'll make it that long. i think the far-right self-destructive gay archetype is like a motor that speeds up and then explodes, only to restart except it's faster than the preceding cycle. and there can only be one at any given time, like Highlander. so eventually the cycles will speed up so fast that becoming the far-right gay of the moment will mean instant and total material and spiritual obliteration.

who was the gay person that exploded before milo, rohm?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wikkheiser posted:

yeah i'm like you and not shocked by it being a non-zero. though how right-wing gays are presenting themselves as sexual deviants specifically -- that is interesting

Didn't Milo say something about gays needing to go back into the closet? I think it has a lot to do with a desire to keep gay sex in private and secretive circles, because then it can tend to be more hedonistic and it's easier to prey on people because if they report your abuse then society will punish the victim as well. The openly flamboyant behavior is also a performance for their audience, to illustrate why gayness should be publicly suppressed. It's a gay minstrelry that reinforces the prejudices of their audience.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Baloogan posted:

what is it with some promiscuous gay guys and far right politics
i feel like im missing something. lucian is like someone xeroxed milo

might be a sorta self-hatred/need for validation thing they've got going on. milo doesn't really seek out positive criticism he wants to be told he's a piece of poo poo because that's what he tells himself.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
politics is facinating because of the intersection of every aspect of life, sexual, racial, religious, economic. Everything links in with politics somewhere.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Politics are the systems through which humanity shapes its environment, so of course it involves everything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Why is it so hard to think gay men wouldn't be republican?

Men make more money than women. Two dudes married = the possibility to be quite well off. Add all the other benefits of being a dude in this society and why wouldn't gay dudes be all for the side that likes money and patriarchy? :colbert:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Didn't Milo say something about gays needing to go back into the closet? I think it has a lot to do with a desire to keep gay sex in private and secretive circles, because then it can tend to be more hedonistic and it's easier to prey on people because if they report your abuse then society will punish the victim as well. The openly flamboyant behavior is also a performance for their audience, to illustrate why gayness should be publicly suppressed. It's a gay minstrelry that reinforces the prejudices of their audience.

Milo said in interviews that he liked it better when it was still in the closet because he finds transgression "hot".

spacetoaster posted:

Why is it so hard to think gay men wouldn't be republican?

Men make more money than women. Two dudes married = the possibility to be quite well off. Add all the other benefits of being a dude in this society and why wouldn't gay dudes be all for the side that likes money and patriarchy? :colbert:

Yeah I know some gay conservatives. They love the FYGM message. Gay people can have terrible politics too goddamnit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Montasque posted:

They love the FYGM message.

I can't think of a group that doesn't.

Hell, it was the entire Democrat party for the last 8 years.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Ernst Rohm and the original SA goons practically flaunted their homosexuality and believed it made them superior warriors akin to the ancient Spartans.

This article was written back in 2008 before the alt-right was on anyone radar but it gives lists a number of examples of gay fascists, some out and some closeted.

quote:

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has a sensitive and intriguing explanation. “There are many reasons for this kind of thing,” he says. “Some of them are in denial. They are going for hyper-masculinity, the most extreme possible way of being a man. It’s a way of ostentatiously rejecting the perceived effeminacy of the homosexual ‘Other’. These troubled men have a simple belief in their minds: ‘Straight men are tough. Queers are weak. Therefore if I’m tough I can’t be queer.’ It’s a desperate way of proving their manhood.”

‘Searchlight’ magazine - the bible of the British anti-fascist movement, with moles in every major far-right organisation - offers an alternative explanation. “Generally condemned by a society that continues to be largely hostile to gays, some men may find refuge and a new power status in the far right,” one of their writers has explained. “Through adherence to the politics espoused by fascist groups, a new identity emerges - one where they aren’t outcasts, because they are White Men, superior to everyone else. They render the gay part of their identity invisible - or reject the socially less acceptable parts, like being feminine - while vaunting what they see as superior.”

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

like the practice of machismo among misogynist males, nothing new under the sun

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

like the practice of machismo among misogynist males, nothing new under the sun

Displays of machismo are shows of prowess, it's not the same thing. Showing machismo is a demonstration that you should be followed. The minstrelry of being a flamboyant right wing gay is to show the audience why gays should be marginalized. This isn't a politics of acceptance.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

spacetoaster posted:

I can't think of a group that doesn't.

Hell, it was the entire Democrat party for the last 8 years.

ah, no, that was us
it's always us; we branded that as a political ideology since the reconstruction

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Displays of machismo are shows of prowess, it's not the same thing. Showing machismo is a demonstration that you should be followed. The minstrelry of being a flamboyant right wing gay is to show the audience why gays should be marginalized. This isn't a politics of acceptance.

hm, that makes sense
i see it, thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baloogan posted:

id watch that anime

redline is a good film imo

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

While this may be the case with Milo specifically I don't know that it can be extrapolated out to all flamboyant right wing gays. There is an element of minstrelry involved for sure but I think more often it's a disarming mechanism for their audience. Anti gay bigots have a stereotyped view of gay people and the flouncing, campy, catty queen is that stereotype. By conforming to that view point they disarm their audience to a degree by not challenging their views, and indeed confirming them which makes the audience more at ease and as a result more receptive to the message. Milo, while not singular by any means in his internalized homophobia is also not the norm.

As to why more gay people are seemingly open to hard right views a lot of it has to do with Islam, at least in Europe. Muslims in Europe in general are intensely hostile to homosexuals and there have been increased attacks on gay folks in public by outraged Muslims. This isn't helped by the liberals adamant defense of Muslims at all costs, many gays feel, even at the cost of them. They feel like they're being thrown under the bus in favor of Muslims and feel alienated from mainstream liberal parties who they see as no longer serving their interests. This sense of being under threat again as well as alienation from their traditional parties leaves a window for people like MLP to exploit that as long as they don't also bang the anti gay drum too hard. I think most right wing parties have accurately calculated that anti Muslim sentiment is much higher than anti gay sentiment or at least it's second order to anti Islamic feelings so they can publicly ease off on gays and pull some into the fold as a result.

That said I think it's important to state that it's still a minority, in many cases a small minority of gay men who go hard right (about 30% in France and I think it was about 14% in the US who went for Trump)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

possibly. it think its also that milo grew up in the whole "gays are all sexual perverts who should at best stay in the closet forever" deal and he took that to heart.

A Pale Horse posted:

While this may be the case with Milo specifically I don't know that it can be extrapolated out to all flamboyant right wing gays. There is an element of minstrelry involved for sure but I think more often it's a disarming mechanism for their audience. Anti gay bigots have a stereotyped view of gay people and the flouncing, campy, catty queen is that stereotype. By conforming to that view point they disarm their audience to a degree by not challenging their views, and indeed confirming them which makes the audience more at ease and as a result more receptive to the message. Milo, while not singular by any means in his internalized homophobia is also not the norm.

As to why more gay people are seemingly open to hard right views a lot of it has to do with Islam, at least in Europe. Muslims in Europe in general are intensely hostile to homosexuals and there have been increased attacks on gay folks in public by outraged Muslims. This isn't helped by the liberals adamant defense of Muslims at all costs, many gays feel, even at the cost of them. They feel like they're being thrown under the bus in favor of Muslims and feel alienated from mainstream liberal parties who they see as no longer serving their interests. This sense of being under threat again as well as alienation from their traditional parties leaves a window for people like MLP to exploit that as long as they don't also bang the anti gay drum too hard. I think most right wing parties have accurately calculated that anti Muslim sentiment is much higher than anti gay sentiment or at least it's second order to anti Islamic feelings so they can publicly ease off on gays and pull some into the fold as a result.

That said I think it's important to state that it's still a minority, in many cases a small minority of gay men who go hard right (about 30% in France and I think it was about 14% in the US who went for Trump)

pretty much. i kinda feel the world would be a better place if the left/liberals just called out Wahhabism publicly whenever this poo poo happens. but instead a decent amount of them feel like if you attack wahabism or any bad sects/parts of islam, its an attack on the whole faith. like i hate american evangelicalism and prosperity Gospel bullshit but i don't hate Christianity. instead you let the alt/hard right take the narative and focus and attack all of islam and muslims.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dapper_Swindler posted:

possibly. it think its also that milo grew up in the whole "gays are all sexual perverts who should at best stay in the closet forever" deal and he took that to heart.

pretty much. i kinda feel the world would be a better place if the left/liberals just called out Wahhabism publicly whenever this poo poo happens. but instead a decent amount of them feel like if you attack wahabism or any bad sects/parts of islam, its an attack on the whole faith. like i hate american evangelicalism and prosperity Gospel bullshit but i don't hate Christianity. instead you let the alt/hard right take the narative and focus and attack all of islam and muslims.

most folks either side would be hard pressed to know any specifics about any of the things they allegedly hate so goddamn much.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baloogan posted:

what is it with some promiscuous gay guys and far right politics
i feel like im missing something. lucian is like someone xeroxed milo

Sexual repression/weird sexual development, poorer than average experiences with and access to the education system, being able to hang out with exclusively boys and pretend women don't exist like 99% of the time, Reddit, etc

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i think they're just dickheads, you guys. dont have to bring sexuality into it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sexuality and sexual development is a big part of it and it's also a big factor in why straight young conservatives are hosed up weirdos

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lucian piane i think is more of a product of an upper-middle-class upbringing, but for poorer gay boys it works like this:

gay boys don't want to go to school because of bullying. and if they do go they're miserable and the adults are usually indifferent to their misery at best. this means the quality of their education suffers, and they don't learn things. also they're lucky if sex ed even mentions the existence of gay people so they receive the bulk of their sexual education from mangas, or worse. they hang out with the other rejects and weirdos in the anime club or the goth kids in the smoking pit, or they just have no friends IRL and they spend all their time online. they don't need to associate with girls to get their rocks off. so they grow up to be ignorant misogynists who believe in chemtrails and 911 truth because they never learned how to critically analyze information

thats how you make a reactionary gaybro

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Mar 24, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The gbs thread about jontron isnt going well

lovely Wizard posted:

You're puffing up your own importance. You and every single other anti-Trump protester were the evil empire. You lost, Hillary Clinton lost, and your great brand of evil has fallen so far that it will never recover. The right side of history won after all.

Righteousness is in power and are greater in number than you could ever believe. And we will stamp out the evil every time it tries to claw out of it's pit.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

even as we speak the libs are plotting to take away our right to quote crime statistics

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

I had the horrible idea to maybe train that guy to C-SPAM for a while, maybe pick up a perspective or two on dialectical materialism

but then I realized I'd have to post that in GBS and no way no how am I going to post in GBS, not even once

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hey now lets love and accept all who want to learn more about why punching nazis is both cool and good.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

My essential argument has always been that classism is the problem in America, not racism.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

that wizard really is lovely

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

THC posted:

sexuality and sexual development is a big part of it and it's also a big factor in why straight young conservatives are hosed up weirdos

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

THC posted:

they hang out with the other rejects and weirdos in the anime club or the goth kids in the smoking pit, or they just have no friends IRL and they spend all their time online. they don't need to associate with girls to get their rocks off. so they grow up to be ignorant misogynists who believe in chemtrails and 911 truth because they never learned how to critically analyze information

Wow. These gay people sound awful.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Men are awful.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

THC posted:

Men are awful.

shush.

we can overcome many things. Just be a good person, and make sure bad people cant be any more pertinent than like a crazy guy with a misspelled sign.

people can be beautiful.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

U can tell he's crying irl

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

gbs thread isnt going well

no poo poo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rudatron posted:

U can tell he's crying irl

Uncle Wemus posted:

Who is this, and why is it funny? I read some of that thread and don't get it. I want to laugh too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Who is this, and why is it funny? I read some of that thread and don't get it. I want to laugh too.

Jontron is a youtube gamer who believes in white genocide and it cost him all his sponsorships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Jontron is a youtube gamer who believes in white genocide and it cost him all his sponsorships.

yeah prettty much. whats sad is watching and reading his bullshit. he just sounds like a economicaly priviledged idiot who doesnt know poo poo about politics and basicaly bought all the alt right stuff hook line and sinker because no critical thinking. he doesnt seem to have the impotent rage that most of the alt right has, it sounds like some of his lovely friends told him the stuff about because he probably always leaned somewhat Conservative and doesn't do politics or humanities. like i think he could be reformed but thats probaly hosed now because the twitter left want to see him burn on cross(and some want all his old friends to get banned as well even if they are lefties) so my guess is he will just double down until he fully believes it all and transforms into matt forney.