Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Copy pasted from the GDT because I'm an idiot.

So today, the Raptors won the game with a total of 10 assists and 17 turnovers. This leads to a few funny numbers questions.

1) What's the lowest assist total a team has had this year while still winning? There's actually only been one other game this year where the winning team scored 10 or less assists. The Bulls beat Utah back in November with 8 assists.

2) People talk all the time about point guards AST/TO per game ratio. What about team AST/TO for this season?

I couldn't find that on BBREF so I made a quick chart.

I guess I probably shoulda cut off some digits but w/e.

Raw assist numbers: Toronto comes in last with 18.3 a game. This is one APG behind second last ranked Pheonix Suns. Meanwhile, GSW averages an insane 30.3 assists a game, 5 over the second ranked Rockets.

Assist/TO: Raptors are bad, but not dead last. If it's any consolation, the Suns and the Nets are kinda in a league of there on this one. Goddamn. No one thinks of Hornets as being in the Warriors league, but they're the only team sniffing their top ranked ratio.

Of the teams in the bottom 8, only three are good: The Raptors, Jazz, and Thunder (sorry Atlanta fans). What I find slightly interesting is that they all accomplish having bad AST/TO in different ways. For the Thunder, that's the Westbrook effect. They play crazy wild basketball. He averages tons of assists (and tons of TO's), but I suspect that if you looked at the numbers of assists for teams minus their starting point guards the Thunder would be last by far. Meanwhile the Jazz play vintage slow basketball and let Hayward and Hill split the ball handling, with neither really being assist machines.Toronto plays much closer to the pace of OKC than the Jazz, but we don't have a crazy ball dominant point guard surrounded by turnover machines. So what are we doing? Well, you know my spiel by now and I can't quite find the Iso% numbers to back it up, but we're iso-ing a shitload through Derozan (and Lowry when he's around). Raptors draw an insane number of free throws, and that also skews assist numbers because assists that generate FT points aren't counted in traditional stats.

But seriously -- We're barely trailing the Rockets in FT's made so far this year (by 13, both played 71 games) but per /100 possessions the team leads the league in FT's made, beating the Rockets by a solid .8 .

Any ways, I'm pretty sure that teams that win by shooting FT's die in the playoffs, but Derozan was on fire tonight so he gets a pass from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Owners are fine getting paid off. Ok, so who is paying them off? It isn't Stern unless he really does have a secret slush fund that the owners completely ignore. So it's the lottery winner who is funding the bribe. Except when Cleveland wins the lottery, Chicago suspects them of paying off E&Y. When NO wins, Cleveland and Chicago both give them a long look. And they all stare at Philly when that happens. So are these teams paid off for their silence too? Sounds expensive, more-so each year. And what if both NO and Philly want to win it this year, who arbitrates? This starting to sound like a very unwieldy situation. Meanwhile Stern gets...what exactly?

If an owner was demonstrably shown that another franchise being given the #1 pick and with certain scenarios playing out would grow the entire league over X number of years. If an owner saw more economic value added to his franchise if another team got the #1 pick I don't believe it's outlandish that they'd go with the option that'd get them more $$$ long-term.

I didn't mean some guy in a trench coat carrying a briefcase to Cuban's office or a straightforward bribe. That stuff is small-time for a billionaire. Stern does his job and makes more $$$ for himself and his friends. I don't believe all the NBA owners are as adversarial with one another as fans are. This wouldn't be franchise vs. franchise it could be a lot more collusive in nature.

Arbitration wouldn't be too hard. Thirty billionaires have the resources to access an amazing amount of market research that'd lead to a lot of compelling data (from all kinds of sources) concluding that NOP, PHI or another franchise getting the #1 pick would benefit the league the most in a certain way.

WhyteRyce posted:

Not all the owners are in on it? So like only Philly, Chicago, Cleveland, and New Orleans are part of this secret kabal? That's an...odd mix

No, I'm not going that far and calling out all the recent drafts and teams. Basically CLE getting #1 three times in a four year interval is mathematically suspicious.

An even funnier possibility is that the owner being given all the #1 picks could be left in the dark. Dan Gilbert wouldn't even have to know he was getting the picks for this to benefit his team and others. The less people that know the better. Classic plausible deniability.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zogo posted:

No, I'm not going that far and calling out all the recent drafts and teams. Basically CLE getting #1 three times in a four year interval is mathematically suspicious.

An even funnier possibility is that the owner being given all the #1 picks could be left in the dark. Dan Gilbert wouldn't even have to know he was getting the picks for this to benefit his team and others. The less people that know the better. Classic plausible deniability.

The Edmonton Oilers won 3 straight lotteries and 4 in 6 years

literally no one outside of the Oilers org wanted the Oilers to get McDavid

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think it's so much that you can't win by being a free throw shooting team in the playoffs, it's that you have to generate the sorts of fouls that refs are forced to call even when they're inclined to swallow their whistles. Derozan getting reached-in on or slightly bumped just stops being consistently a foul at some point in the playoffs. I don't really think that's super fair but I mean I would rather they call the games all year like the playoffs than the way they do in the regular season.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I feel like someone is trying to explain to me how their Rube Goldberg machine works by describing how some of the pieces theoretically operate. I also like how it's a dance between "not everyone is involved" and "all these owners actually get along and have data to agree on the big picture that brings them to a consensus"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

attackmole posted:

2) People talk all the time about point guards AST/TO per game ratio. What about team AST/TO for this season?

Yea, GSW and CHO have two of the top ten best ratios since 1978:

code:
AST/TOV		Season	Tm
2.11		2005-06	DET
2.10		1991-92	CLE
2.09		1992-93	CLE
2.09		1991-92	CHI
2.05		2016-17	GSW
2.03		2007-08	TOR
2.00		2014-15	LAC
2.00		2005-06	PHO
2.00		1989-90	DEN
1.98		2016-17	CHO

1.07		1991-92	DEN
1.06		2003-04	WAS
1.05		1977-78	NJN
1.05		1999-00	CHI
1.04		1998-99	ATL
1.03		1980-81	DET
1.03		1998-99	LAC
1.02		1978-79	NJN
1.01		2005-06	NYK
0.99		1977-78	DET
0.94		1978-79	SDC

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Edmonton Oilers won 3 straight lotteries and 4 in 6 years

literally no one outside of the Oilers org wanted the Oilers to get McDavid

The Oilers had a much, much better shot over that period of pulling that off. From what I've read these were their percentages for retaining the #1 pick from 2010-2012:

2010 .482
2011 .482
2012 .188

That's a 1 in 23 shot. Cavaliers were way lower than that.

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like someone is trying to explain to me how their Rube Goldberg machine works by describing how some of the pieces theoretically operate. I also like how it's a dance between "not everyone is involved" and "all these owners actually get along and have data to agree on the big picture that brings them to a consensus"

It's all just speculation on possibilities.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 24, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the fix is in :tinfoil:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also :lol: at the idea of convincing Dan Gilbert he'd make more money over the long term via revenue sharing and TV deals for the league by letting Anthony Davis go to New Orleans vs. just getting him himself and enjoying all the direct Anthony Davis related revenue and benefits. It's like a reverse tragedy of the commons

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Also :lol: at the idea of convincing Dan Gilbert he'd make more money over the long term via revenue sharing and TV deals for the league by letting Anthony Davis go to New Orleans vs. just getting him himself and enjoying all the direct Anthony Davis related revenue and benefits. It's like a reverse tragedy of the commons

That's why Mr. Comic Sans would be better off left in the dark.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Why would anyone want Cleveland to have anything nice, I'm not following your line of thought

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It was pretty convenient that LeBron had a team with an all-star (and a rookie people would trade an all-star for) to go back to right around the time the two all-stars on his current team were slowing down.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zogo posted:

Any given result of four lottery's in the low is mathematically improbable in retrospect. The highest result chance, that the worst team wins it each year for four years in a row is 0.4% and it just gets lower for any other combination. Sure, the chances of Cleveland winning it were low., but you can look at any given series of four winners and say "WOW THE CHANCES OF THIS WERE UNREALLY LOW" and you'd be right because any sequence of events is going to be a dumb low probability, people just notice when it's the same team.

You know what, I'm bored. Let's play this game. The current NBA draft lottery odds were set in 1994. I'm going to look at every four year interval since then run the probability that it occurred.

1994-1997: 0.111%
1995-1998: 0.154%
1996-1999: 0.248%
1997-2000: 0.0337%
1998-2001: 0.0245%
1999-2002: 0.00965%
2000-2003: 0.0138%
2001-2004: 0.0786%
2002-2005: 0.0315%
2003-2006: 0.0312%
2004-2007: 0.00735%
2005-2008: 0.0000400%
2006-2009: 0.000140%
2007-2010: 0.000164%
2008-2011: 0.0000868%
2009-2012: 0.00699%
2010-2013: 0.00616%
2011-2014: 0.00101%
2012-2015: 0.00908%
2013-2016: 0.0166%

So uh, I mean was it unlikely, yes, can we make fun of Cleveland, yes, but to call it mathematically suspicious is dumb. The most unlikely four year series was 2005-2008, where we have Bogut (6.3%), Bargs (8.8%), Oden (5.3%), and Rose (1.7%) drafted in succession. And I've never noticed that before, but goddamn the league managed to draft 4 injured wrecks in a row, cool.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 24, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

So uh, I mean was it unlikely, yes, can we make fun of Cleveland, yes, but to call it mathematically suspicious is dumb. The most unlikely four year series was 2005-2008, where we have Bogut (6.3%), Bargs (8.8%), Oden (5.3%), and Rose (1.7%) drafted in succession. And I've never noticed that before, but goddamn the league managed to draft 4 injured wrecks in a row, cool.

And in three of them, the real star ended up being the second pick (Aldridge, Durant, Super Cool Beas). Coincidence?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 24, 2017

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I watched some 90's games after people were talking about it the other day.

And drat, those teams would all get steamrolled by GSW/CLE/SAS. None of them would be used to playing all the way out to the 3pt line.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spite posted:

And drat, those teams would all get steamrolled by GSW/CLE/SAS. None of them would be used to playing all the way out to the 3pt line.

There was a Malone/Stockton highlight vid posted here a few months ago and the level of defense is painful to watch. Basically every defender on Malone short of like David Robinson completely loses track of the play as soon as Malone sets a pick.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Zogo posted:

If Sterling had said something like "freedom of speech etc. etc." it would've been a gigantic and ongoing PR disaster/fiasco for years.

Hah, it's true. But if he'd been about his mental facilities and not a senile ol' weirdo he probably would have remembered who Magic Johnson was instead of ranting to his mix-raced mistress about bringing random "black guys" to his games lol that dude had gone cranky with age

Dementia is a waking nightmare for the victim during their lucid moments when they understand they are losing their cognition, and a different sort of nightmare for loving relatives, fortunately Sterling probably doesn't have many of those. Maybe that son of his who shot one of his friends in the back with a shotgun over some d-list actress loved him but he ODed and died in their vacation home years ago. Dear God I pray every night that I may become rich some day.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zogo posted:

If Sterling had said something like "freedom of speech etc. etc." it would've been a gigantic and ongoing PR disaster/fiasco for years.

I dunno. Cuban spent a while saying exactly this as loudly as he could and nobody really listened.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/845145986334801920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fnba%2F

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ahh, now that explains why they lost to the Nets by 30.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

Any given result of four lottery's in the low is mathematically improbable in retrospect. The highest result chance, that the worst team wins it each year for four years in a row is 0.4% and it just gets lower for any other combination. Sure, the chances of Cleveland winning it were low., but you can look at any given series of four winners and say "WOW THE CHANCES OF THIS WERE UNREALLY LOW" and you'd be right because any sequence of events is going to be a dumb low probability, people just notice when it's the same team.

You know what, I'm bored. Let's play this game. The current NBA draft lottery odds were set in 1994. I'm going to look at every four year interval since then run the probability that it occurred.

1994-1997: 0.111%
1995-1998: 0.154%
1996-1999: 0.248%
1997-2000: 0.0337%
1998-2001: 0.0245%
1999-2002: 0.00965%
2000-2003: 0.0138%
2001-2004: 0.0786%
2002-2005: 0.0315%
2003-2006: 0.0312%
2004-2007: 0.00735%
2005-2008: 0.0000400%
2006-2009: 0.000140%
2007-2010: 0.000164%
2008-2011: 0.0000868%
2009-2012: 0.00699%
2010-2013: 0.00616%
2011-2014: 0.00101%
2012-2015: 0.00908%
2013-2016: 0.0166%

Compounding all odds is spurious, you have to go bayesian and guns blazdieng to see what's up

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Perfect opportunity to debate whether they could beat Kansas (just kidding)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
This rigging poo poo so loving tedious

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Spite posted:

Yeah but it's all about the rules. Some of those 90's teams would isolate and post up with relative impunity. Then you have a parade of dunks and foul shots. It's boring but effective. None of those 18-3 runs if it's a good team with a good coach. Now law of averages says the 3 still wins but consider a cold shooting night or being dominated on the boards and i'm not so sure.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Imagine LeBron in an era before the Mark Jackson rule :allears:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

Compounding all odds is spurious, you have to go bayesian and guns blazdieng to see what's up

I mean all the draws are independent probability events. Unless you wanna go bongo and create some bigass model getting the probability of teams staying in the lottery next year given a high lottery pick the previous year and condition over that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
90's culture would swallow current athletes whole. No way could they deal with the onslaught of movie deals and cocaine

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

90's culture would swallow current athletes whole. No way could they deal with the onslaught of movie deals and cocaine

Worrying about catching AIDs takes a lot of time and effort that could be spent in the gym.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Factoring in that Harrison Barnes has been the better ISO scorer this season, would you rather have Barnes or Melo on your team?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Imagine LeBron in an era before the Mark Jackson rule :allears:

The best case scenario when playing Lebron is he goes into the traditional post, so sure.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rick posted:

The best case scenario when playing Lebron is he goes into the traditional post, so sure.

Actually best case is a midrange jumpshot

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Spacebump posted:

Factoring in that Harrison Barnes has been the better ISO scorer this season, would you rather have Barnes or Melo on your team?

I think the obvious answer is Barnes.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

Lol why not use a useful player for a comparison

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That depends, are we choosing a player for a basketball game, or to stake a claim on a mine in the 1800s?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

I would have said Barnes before you said that

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

When the Bulls got #1 and were able to select hometown hero Rose that was a little suspicious and tailor-made.

Or when the Sixers finally got the #1 pick in exchange for firing Hinkie and hiring Colangelos.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If Adam Silver wants to help the Lakers he'll rig it so they fall 4 thus saving them from run by Lavar Ball for the next four years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Given the age and salary Barnes for sure, but they both have the same TS% and Melo actually has a higher ORTG (Mostly because holy poo poo Barnes cannot pass the ball). Melo is the better shooter, now that Barnes isn't on that GSW team he is taking way less 3s at a way lower %.

Melo is still a better Offensive focal point, but Barnes is way better defensively.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

If Adam Silver wants to help the Lakers he'll rig it so they fall 4 thus saving them from run by Lavar Ball for the next four years.

I want him to go to the Sixers just so I can watch the trainwreck collision between Lavar Ball and Philadelphia.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It would be funny if Lonzo Ball was the first pick whose draft position falls because teams don't want to deal with his dad.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lonzo Ball needs to end up on the Bulls.

There is nothing I want more than this front office to have to deal with someone like Lavar Ball.

It would be the only way I could stomach a Butler trade.

• Locked thread