Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Elsa posted:

Coax LAN Blood and Hexen, [while I was supposed to be in summer school] '97

Doom on SPC (Software Publishing Corporation aka the company that made Havard Graphics) 's corporate LAN at their branch in Madison Wisconsin. The guy who worked there ended up as a producer at EA, and ran the Madden line for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

chitoryu12 posted:

The part where he was wrong was assuming that the Internet would remain in its 1990s state permanently, never getting easier to use and computers remaining slow. He didn't think it would ever be useful for research because it was too slow to pull up search results and none of them would be relevant because no company would create a way to automatically sort search results for people. He also clearly didn't see any news sites moving to the Internet for ease of access.

The most inexcusable mistake he makes (and the one he bases his entire article on) is that technology would just stagnate exactly where it was and none of the problems he finds would ever be solvable, so we'd all just give up on online shopping and search engines and go back to making payphone calls from the library.
Eh. He became eventually wrong, but that article was written in 1995. Amazon didn't turn a profit for more than ten years after that. It would be 20 years before more than 50% of consumers would buy poo poo online---at which point online sales account for 10% of total retail sales.

Search engines are certainly better than they were in 1995 (Stoll was certainly aware of then-contemporary search engines like Lycos, as well as pre-web search engines like archie). But they still have a lot of the problems he mentions---the data they search is largely unfiltered, so it can be difficult to distinguish between good data and bad. Indeed, we know that this is still so much a problem we've recently seen a new term coined for this very old problem---fake news.

I mean yeah he's wrong almost point for point, but it's not because all of the problems he observes have been solved. It's that leaving the problems unsolved hasn't prevented adoption.

Like back in the day Mitnick and Shimomura was a big poo poo, high-profile security thing. At the time nobody would have predicted that companies would be involved in unintentional disclosure of personal data of literally hundreds of millions of customers and nothing would happen. That's not problems being solved. That's more or less exactly the same problems (the first known hack due to SQL injection was 1998, for example) that once were a big loving deal slowly fading into background noise. It's us collectively getting used to everything being broken by default.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

SPC (Software Publishing Corporation aka the company that made Havard Graphics)

Our family bought pfs:First Choice [edit: made by SPC] for our XT clone. It was like a Microsoft Works for DOS, all text mode, and for us monochrome :3:

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Mar 23, 2017

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dick Trauma posted:

I have an Automatic Electric 80 that can confirm that pulse dialing is working here in Los Angeles via Frontier copper. Looks similar to this lovely beast.

Pulse dial works in Burnsville, MN. However, you can't do it with just the hook. You can't trip the hook fast enough for it to translate to numbers. It just treats it as a flash.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Doom on the corpnet was a big thing at Microsoft in 1994/5. Descent and Myst as well.

There was an internal server you could download those games from if you knew the right people

We had a NeXT workstation in our lab but no one could figure anything cool to do with it

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Mar 23, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Display PostScript at 96dpi :negative:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Our middle school filled up with iMacs when they came out, I was about the only kid that knew how to use them, including the school's IT guy. I found a way to make a shared folder on the network, brought Marathon from my house and put it in, and somehow figured out how to get 8 player deathmatch going. He eventually took those computer labs off the network because we were clogging all the network traffic up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back in high school we had 2 Mac Classics for putting out the school newspaper. These were side by side so they had whatever passed for a network back then. We used to play some simple top-down space game where one person flew a Star Destroyer and the other person piloted the Star Trek Enterprise. This was 1990 so networked gameplay was like slicing your eyeballs bleeding edge. I still miss that game. I don't know it's name, but It had to shareware with all the intellectual property it was breaking.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

KozmoNaut posted:

Can we post Chromebooks in this thread yet? I have one, and while it's okay-ish as a dedicated web browsing machine, it runs into serious limitations really quickly.

Want to watch 60fps videos on Youtube? Get ready for massive frame drops. Oh, 720p and 1080p force 60fps in Chrome now? Get used to 480p, sucker.
Want to play music in one tab from Spotify or Google Play Music while browsing other websites? gently caress you, the music will just randomly cut out.
Want a decent Spotify experience? gently caress you, there's no app unless your Chromebook is new enough to have Play Store support, so you can run the Android app. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the web player, which can't even queue tracks (but this is mostly a complaint against Spotify, not Google).
Want to play video files from local storage or a USB disk? If the sound track is anything but straight MP3 or AAC, gently caress you. No AC3/DTS/whatever for you.
Want to print literally anything at all? I sure hope you have a Google Cloud Print-enabled printer, or a PC somewhere that is connected to a printer, turned on and has Chrome running at the moment.

I lived with these limitations for a while, and I accepted them in exchange for a completely fanless design, 10+ hour battery life, no-nonsense "it just works" setup with no configuration headaches and some other nice aspects of the limited platform. But I've just felt myself getting more an more annoyed, especially at the slow reduction in performance from successive ChromeOS updates.

I know I picked the red-headed stepchild of the family when I picked an ARM-based (Nvidia Tegra K1) Chromebook, but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Chromebooks are nice if you just want a browser, but that's about it. They remind me of the old Network PC models from yesteryear. They flopped badly, due to connection costs. Chromebooks don't have to contend with that limitation anymore, but they are still rather limited. Admittedly, being able to run Android apps now is a small step forward, and most people probably only need a browser anyway, but I just think it's still way too limited.

I should know, I used one for 3 years.

They're a godsend in education. Cheap as chips, don't play any games worth a drat and Google Apps/Cloud storage solves so many data management problems. Because they're basic as gently caress, they're not even a theft target.

Couldn't imagine living with one as a main pc, but they've brought computing into classrooms on a scale nothing else before it could even come close to.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

mostlygray posted:

Pulse dial works in Burnsville, MN. However, you can't do it with just the hook. You can't trip the hook fast enough for it to translate to numbers. It just treats it as a flash.
Tapping the hook switch quickly is electrically identical to dialing on a rotary phone, so if it doesn't work but rotary dialing does, it's because the hook switch on that specific phone is too slow for it to work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The End posted:

Couldn't imagine living with one as a main pc, but they've brought computing into classrooms on a scale nothing else before it could even come close to.
The IT dude at my site was ALL MACS ALL THE TIME, to the point where the school was about to buy 60 MacBook Pros one year to replace the 2007-2008 white MacBooks that started failing.

They instead finally piloted a Chromebook program and the two teachers that have them love them. Don't have to deal with documents getting lost or students forgetting work on a Flash Drive anymore. The admins love that they're dirt cheap so if they gently caress up it's hardly a problem to just get a new one. They've had some worry about Video Editing / Audio Editing / InDesign-like page layout stuff, but nothing terribly lacking yet.

I'm loving sure that in 3 years they'll all be hated because the chips will be woefully bad, but again the cost makes replacement a joke.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Krispy Kareem posted:

We used to play some simple top-down space game where one person flew a Star Destroyer and the other person piloted the Star Trek Enterprise.

A raster arcade game from the late 70s was Space Wars and was top-down where you fought a triangular ship against an Enterprise-looking ship. Must have been based on that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The End posted:

They're a godsend in education. Cheap as chips, don't play any games worth a drat and Google Apps/Cloud storage solves so many data management problems. Because they're basic as gently caress, they're not even a theft target.

I may be a little harsh on Chromebooks, the simple fact that you can get a 1080p IPS screen, 10 hour battery life, aluminum body laptop, with a good browser and access to Android apps, for the same price as a 5 year old Thinkpad is pretty impressive.

Still, I'm looking forward to owning a full fat laptop again.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The End posted:

Heheheh... you'd be surprised. Though I suppose driving kids to playing interactive fiction isn't the worst result?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pokey Araya posted:

Our middle school filled up with iMacs when they came out, I was about the only kid that knew how to use them, including the school's IT guy. I found a way to make a shared folder on the network, brought Marathon from my house and put it in, and somehow figured out how to get 8 player deathmatch going. He eventually took those computer labs off the network because we were clogging all the network traffic up.

Same except high school. My school used Fool Proof for security, which anyone who had a mac at home knew how to disable extensions could get around.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Gromit posted:

A raster arcade game from the late 70s was Space Wars and was top-down where you fought a triangular ship against an Enterprise-looking ship. Must have been based on that.

I'm suddenly reminded that for as old as it is, Netrek was still being played by a handful of people last time I checked.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I went to a nerd high school so the teacher in charge of the Intro C++/Java/etc. classes quickly realized that everybody in there already knew all the material, so those classes became havens for 8-way local LAN Starcraft matches and poo poo. Nobody wanted to actually pirate software on school computers though, so a lot of us became absolute masters at things like the single level in the Tony Hawk 2 demo and such.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I went to a nerd high school in 1986 that had amiga 1000s.
e for content, what was that old networking PC protocol for C&C/red alert called? It still used network cards.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Mar 24, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fo3 posted:

e for content, what was that old networking PC protocol for C&C/red alert called? It still used network cards.

It was probably IPX/SPX.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

a lot of us became absolute masters at things like the single level in the Tony Hawk 2 demo and such.

I used to have that on a ps1 demo disc, and I must have played it so many times, without even being good at it. Mine must have been the only unchipped ps1 in the neighbourhood, too, now that I recall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

Holy poo poo that's it. Or a version of it at least. Thanks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I still have fond memories of using Kali95 for IPX network emulation to play MW2: Mercenaries and Duke3D. Kali itself belongs in this thread what with IPX being long dead, although apparently the Kali network is still technically functioning somehow.

The $20 one-time registration fee for Kali was a good bet at the time, when every month a new subscription-based gaming service would either rise up or collapse when the investors checked-out. TEN (Total Entertainment Network) was one that charged $10/month for incredibly-unreliable game matching and died quickly once better alternatives came out like Battle.net, GameSpy, and Mplayer. Now that games all include their own matchmaking most of those old services are dead, however it was nice at the time being able to use multiplayer games well after the developer closed the doors or shut down their own networks. Having Steam is a good enough trade-off though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

future ghost posted:

I still have fond memories of using Kali95 for IPX network emulation to play MW2: Mercenaries and Duke3D. Kali itself belongs in this thread what with IPX being long dead, although apparently the Kali network is still technically functioning somehow.

The $20 one-time registration fee for Kali was a good bet at the time, when every month a new subscription-based gaming service would either rise up or collapse when the investors checked-out. TEN (Total Entertainment Network) was one that charged $10/month for incredibly-unreliable game matching and died quickly once better alternatives came out like Battle.net, GameSpy, and Mplayer. Now that games all include their own matchmaking most of those old services are dead, however it was nice at the time being able to use multiplayer games well after the developer closed the doors or shut down their own networks. Having Steam is a good enough trade-off though.

I remember Quake 3 having a built in server browser being a big deal at the time. Especially given what a pain in the rear end GameSpy was.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I suppose my new old tv qualifies as long gone tech: a 1981 Zenith Console TV with Space Phone!

My tv has a fuckin' telephone built into it! There is a telephone cable coming out of the back and plugs into the phone jack and you can call and receive calls through the tv! You press the phone button on the remote and start dialing and the tv will ring and show the number on the screen when a call is coming in. I need to find a new head for the cable as it got lopped off, but it should work great as the rest of the tv is flawless.

Also I think you can listen in to other peoples calls pretty easily...

http://imgur.com/a/RnwcB

and the remote in question

http://imgur.com/a/NvMh3

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wacky Delly posted:

I remember Quake 3 having a built in server browser being a big deal at the time. Especially given what a pain in the rear end GameSpy was.

Pfft, Tribes had a built in server browser and IRC client

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GotLag posted:

Pfft, Tribes had a built in server browser and IRC client

I had a Mac, so Quake 3 was as good as I got.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Tapping the hook switch quickly is electrically identical to dialing on a rotary phone, so if it doesn't work but rotary dialing does, it's because the hook switch on that specific phone is too slow for it to work.

lol how do you know this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elsa posted:

lol how do you know this

The Wikipedia posted:

As pulse dialing is achieved by interruption of the local loop, it was in principle possible to dial a telephone number by rapidly tapping, i.e. depressing, the switch hook the corresponding number of times for each digit at approximately ten taps per second. However, many telephone makers implemented a slow switch hook release to prevent rapid switching.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was more curious about the poster's professional or personal experience that gave them that insight to just whip out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe he just works at a telco and/or as an installer.

That's how I know, even though pulse dialing was way before my time, and I'm in IT anyway.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Well I was impressed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fo3 posted:

I went to a nerd high school in 1986 that had amiga 1000s.

Ya damned spoiled brats! When I was in high school, they only had ONE computer. A TRS-80 kept in the library. I got to play with it during study hall.

:corsair:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Elsa posted:

I was more curious about the poster's professional or personal experience that gave them that insight to just whip out.

Did you know that this guy:

+

This children's breakfast cereal free gift:

Could get free calls from the US phone network?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are there still little plastic toys in breakfast cereal?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

Did you know that this guy:

+

This children's breakfast cereal free gift:

Could get free calls from the US phone network?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

Kevin Mitnick's "Ghost in the Wires" talks about Draper and it's never good. He always describes him as awkward and completely unable to work with people. Pretty rough to have other nerds call you anti-social.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Kevin Mitnick's "Ghost in the Wires" talks about Draper and it's never good. He always describes him as awkward and completely unable to work with people. Pretty rough to have other nerds call you anti-social.

quote:

Background

Draper is the son of a United States Air Force engineer; he has characterized his father as a distant and imposing figure. As a child, he built a home radio station from discarded military components.[3] He was frequently bullied in school and briefly received psychological treatment due to a perceived "chemical imbalance."[4] After taking college courses, Draper himself entered the Air Force in 1964. While stationed in Alaska, he helped his fellow servicemen make free phone calls home by devising access to a local telephone switchboard. After Alaska, he was stationed at Charleston Air Force Station in Maine. In 1967, he created WKOS [W-"chaos"], a pirate station in nearby Dover-Foxcroft, but had to shut it down when a legitimate radio station, WDME, objected. He was honorably discharged from the Air Force as an airman first class[4] or sergeant[5] in 1968. Thereafter, he relocated to the incipient Silicon Valley and briefly held military-related[3] positions with National Semiconductor (as an engineering technician) and Hugle International (tasked with working on an early cordless telephone design) while concurrently enrolled at De Anza College, where he studied part-time through 1972.[6] During this period, he also worked as an engineer/DJ for KKUP in Cupertino, California[7] and adopted the countercultural ethos of the times, including long hair and a predilection for marijuana.[8] Draper is renowned for his lifelong intolerance of tobacco smoke and his poor personal hygiene.[9][10]

Not just smelly, but renowned for being smelly!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dick Trauma posted:

Are there still little plastic toys in breakfast cereal?

No, the DMCA put a stop to that!

(Also they found they get just as much sales by just printing an offer on the box and most people never redeem it)

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe he just works at a telco and/or as an installer.
It's a side effect of being :corsair: enough to remember when they'd "secure" rotary phones in public places (like school classrooms) by sticking a lock on the dial.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Joke's on them, I'm going to call 111-1111 all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Elsa posted:

Never underestimate the power of goons to jump into a conversation with random obscure knowledge.