Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dralun
May 22, 2012
I'm seeing a bunch of comments on the NA forums and the Noster video saying that DD fights on the cap early game are going to stop because DDs will get detected under the new rules then blown up. How is this any different than now? My understanding of the detection system is that if one red ship sees me, they all see me through the hive mind. As a US DD player, all I think I'm losing with the patch is the 1km-ish + band where I can stealth fire, which does suck, but that doesn't change what I do early on in a match with trying to bully other DDs out of the cap. What, if anything, am I misunderstanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't think you're misunderstanding anything. I don't see it as a huge deal.

That window for stealth fire is tiny, it hardly matters.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vengarr posted:

It does.

Not very quickly. It takes a good couple of seconds to launch and then a few more to vector in on nearby planes. Launch them early to give them time to work, they'll circle your ship and react if anything tries to make a run. They can also spot enemy ships and (critically) torpedoes.

Thanks!
When you have Manual Secondaries, do you need to ctrl-click target an enemy in order to get the -60% dispersion against it?

edit: oic. Makes sense given the name, but I could have sworn they have opened up without me choosing a target.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 23, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PirateBob posted:

Thanks!
When you have Manual Secondaries, do you need to ctrl-click target an enemy in order to get the -60% dispersion against it?

If you have manual secondaries, your secondaries won't even fire unless you ctrl click a target

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Stealth firing is a dumb mechanic and already easy to counter running away, plus not that dangerous anyway. A British cruiser hiding in smoke is a much more tangible and serious threat.

The early game isn't about stealth firing, and all the noise about the removal of stealth firing is just from people overreacting, like with the RPF skill. Everybody said it was going to be the #1 BB skill to have, while in reality nobody worth a drat uses it on Battleships.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Stealth firing won't change the way I play DDs. I'm grateful for the extra range on IJN DDs, but they're still not good enough to be used. German DDs also need a 1-2km range boost.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only ship that's going to be hurt by the removal of stealth firing is the Chapayev, because it has nothing else going for it, whereas the other stealth firers work just fine without it

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

The only ship that's going to be hurt by the removal of stealth firing is the Chapayev, because it has nothing else going for it, whereas the other stealth firers work just fine without it

Radar range greater than detection range.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Apparently the groz got some much needed buffs in the 6.3 patch on the test server. According to flamu, it now sits comfortably in that middle ground between the gearing and khaba. Still has a solid AA suite (only slightly better than gearing, but defensive aa as a 3rd consumable instead of sacrificing speed), but it gained a dps buff on the main guns along with increased range thanks to the stealth nerf change. Like the gearing though, you'll want to smoke with it as much as possible. The khaba's playstyle is more friendly to open waters just because it has something resembling armor compared to the other two (and now heal as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchyMvaZ-ds

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Radar range greater than detection range.

1.5km between spotting destroyers and smoked ships while undetected, and instant death. Pretty weak gimmick

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Dralun posted:

I'm seeing a bunch of comments on the NA forums and the Noster video saying that DD fights on the cap early game are going to stop because DDs will get detected under the new rules then blown up. How is this any different than now? My understanding of the detection system is that if one red ship sees me, they all see me through the hive mind. As a US DD player, all I think I'm losing with the patch is the 1km-ish + band where I can stealth fire, which does suck, but that doesn't change what I do early on in a match with trying to bully other DDs out of the cap. What, if anything, am I misunderstanding?

This will only affect USN DD.
German and Russian DD already have huge bloom and IJN DD never win the early game gunfight anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PirateBob posted:

My fps has dropped by 20 after this update :waycool:

My game has gone back to crashing to login and needing a restart of the client to get back in every time I start a battle in a CV, as though the class needs any further deterrent

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JuffoWup posted:

Apparently the groz got some much needed buffs in the 6.3 patch on the test server. According to flamu, it now sits comfortably in that middle ground between the gearing and khaba. Still has a solid AA suite (only slightly better than gearing, but defensive aa as a 3rd consumable instead of sacrificing speed), but it gained a dps buff on the main guns along with increased range thanks to the stealth nerf change. Like the gearing though, you'll want to smoke with it as much as possible. The khaba's playstyle is more friendly to open waters just because it has something resembling armor compared to the other two (and now heal as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchyMvaZ-ds

That's good news, but it still seems like the Khaba is the better choice. I guess the torps are the only real reason for the Groz, since AA doesn't matter while CVs are hosed.

Kind of a shame for me, because I much prefer the Ognevoi playstyle, and the Udaloi seems like it'll be gfreat for me. I really don't click in the Kiev, but I have to keep playing it to get to Khab.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

On the other hand the Udaloi is a keeper. It's much better compared to the Tashkent, which is already a good ship.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Stealth is a big deal for a limited selection of ships. Chappy and Zao: Zao will be fine in the end since it'll play more like an Atago and use its concealment. Maybe it will get a minor buff. The chappy will be hurting a lot more given how terrible its armor is. Again maybe it will get a minor buff

USN DDs are suffering an overall minor/medium nerf. I played many Benson games where my stealth fire allowed for a win when I had low HP and just torps wouldn't have been enough to sway the game. If I had been seen I would have been dead. I'm with LittleWhiteMouse though. I think the tech tree ships will sort themselves out and buffs will get applied to ships/lines that need them, but until then the stats of certain DDs will be in flux.

The only change that I think WG should apply sooner is a change to the Blys since WG explicitly pointed out stealth fire when promoting its sale.

This is definitely more of a game changer than RPF was. I said that RPF was going to be worthless btw.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I think people are also forgetting that increase in bloom hurts firing over terrain as well. I abuse terrain in USN ships to remain undetected while harassing an enemy ship but if my bloom goes up some schmo across the map might see me now. As some have said it makes AFT less attractive for certain ships now, all things considered.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The point of firing over islands is that it doesn't matter if they see you though

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Victor Surge posted:

This is definitely more of a game changer than RPF was. I said that RPF was going to be worthless btw.

Yeah, I remember the firestorm and was pretty meh about it. Is it even a core skill on a small subset of ships?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

MikeC posted:

Yeah, I remember the firestorm and was pretty meh about it. Is it even a core skill on a small subset of ships?

High Tier USN DDs use it and most people should definitely take it over AFT after the stealth nerf for USN DDs. I'd also argue SE for knife fighting after the nerf.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 23, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Insert name here posted:

The point of firing over islands is that it doesn't matter if they see you though

Well if you're stationary behind the island, I now have to worry about a ship 10km away with line of sight who can shoot at me while I'm parked. It isn't a massive nerf, but it is a nerf.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
USN DDs used them because aft was never a good idea on them anyway. IJN uses it to track where others are so as to avoid them. And RUS can't use it because they need all their points to help them do what they do best. IE, AFT, CE, SE, etc. There just isn't enough points for rus DDs to afford it. Some of the cruisers can get use from it like the RN ships. But after that, it isn't used nearly as much as people expected it to be.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
The biggest change this will be for me is to drop concealment expert on my soviet DD.

I also think this is a nerf to US DD, because now I can't just lob my annoyingly low damage shells at BB's while I'm waiting for my overpowered gearing torps to reload. I mean I can, but they'll be able to see me... and that's no good.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jownzy posted:

The biggest change this will be for me is to drop concealment expert on my soviet DD.

I also think this is a nerf to US DD, because now I can't just lob my annoyingly low damage shells at BB's while I'm waiting for my overpowered gearing torps to reload. I mean I can, but they'll be able to see me... and that's no good.

Why drop concealment? It'll still let you stop firing and drop back to stealth. This penalty is only when firing your gun which rus DDs didn't really have a stealth window anyway. For US DDs, there is long lasting smoke clouds to shoot from inside of.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This man is insane.

I'm not sure if I should admire or pity him.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfhjEPEGqo

Flamu interviews sub_octavian. 18 minutes in and I haven't noticed much really. He didn't know that you could spam invites even while being blacklisted. They have ideas for the next ranked season, but nothing to annuonce yet as they haven't gone over the data from this one yet. They felt the passivity of smoke and radar wasn't as much of an issue as people made it out to be. Mainly because people were always timid to rush a belfast in smoke they felt. The next stage of clan stuff is already in production which will include clan battls. No timeline on which patch will have it implemented into the game though. That is in from my 18 minutes so far. There is quite a bit more to go, but had to break for a bit.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

wdarkk posted:

This man is insane.

Ah yes General_dort, I watched his twitch stream while he finished up on china's server.

I'm glad someone did it to compare server ranked populations, but getting there is like smashing your dick into a brick wall until it breaks, getting a transplant, and repeating 4 more times.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Woot 2700 base xp doing jack poo poo cuz I capped a point and left it pooping xp for 15 minutes! :woop: (in a Scharnhorst btw)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Is the Benson C hull worth getting? It looks like 1.8 million funbux for nothing of note, unless there's secret dumb hidden stuff.

I do plan on picking up the upgraded torps on my way to the Fletcher.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Big McHuge posted:

Is the Benson C hull worth getting? It looks like 1.8 million funbux for nothing of note, unless there's secret dumb hidden stuff.

I do plan on picking up the upgraded torps on my way to the Fletcher.

You lose a turret and gain Defensive AA fire. Probably not terribly worth it anymore since carriers are pretty rare, and if they do decide you need to die, your AA isn't going to do much to them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

This man is insane.

Interesting in how he says NA is the most skilled server. Flamu has straight out said NA is full of idiots. Maybe its because NA have ranked anxiety sydrome and only the real players end up doing ranked

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That ijn_hyuga dude is salty as gently caress, if I was going to post on the OF this would be my response to him

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

If you get RPFed and the ship doing it isnt a USN or IJN dd, then you know you're playing against a bad

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
RPF is a bad, dumb skill that should still have never made it into live. The reason you don't see it a lot is because it is a skill for DD hunters, and it scales better the better player you are. I recall hearing that use of the skill greatly affected a recent competitive match from WG's tournaments, though I dont recall which one. I run it on several of my ships, most importantly my Atago/Ibuki.

Sorry about not being on Discord dudes but I've had a lot of work recently, and then I decided to buy Breath of the Wild which has consumed the free time I do have. I'll be done with BotW soon though, and back to shot botes with you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

You lose a turret and gain Defensive AA fire. Probably not terribly worth it anymore since carriers are pretty rare, and if they do decide you need to die, your AA isn't going to do much to them.

You also gain some rudder shift.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

orange juche posted:

That ijn_hyuga dude is salty as gently caress, if I was going to post on the OF this would be my response to him

I'm stealing this, a situation I saw elsewhere just happens to fit this perfectly.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

:fap: tier 7, too!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Special premium camo ability: Detonation! - Experience a 50% increased chance of magazine detonation when fighting against German T8 BB Bismarck.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I really hope they make animations/effects for those AA rocket mines. Historically they were not very effective, and were replaced with pom-poms or bofors guns, but seeing them fire and a hundred little parachutes open up in front of a squadron would be awesome

Oh, and because it's a british weapon, it's called the Unrotated Projector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CitizenKain posted:

Defensive AA fire is the superior DD skill imho, but the caveat is that it's not worth losing a gun over so it's only worth taking on the Fletcher and Gearing (and the RU DDs that can take it). It actually does improve your AA enough to shoot down high tier CV planes somewhat reliably, but more importantly the panic effect makes it much easier to dodge drops. And even while CVs are rare I still prefer Def AA over Engine Boost because even in non-CV games Def AA is useful to pop when you get spotted by an rear end in a top hat float plane, though that use is somewhat diminished now that BB float fighters no longer last like 6 minutes.