Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Glazier posted:

Also it's home, my family goes back generations in Tampa.

the Tampa area is to Florida what Charleston is to South Carolina, an oasis of unexpected pleasantness in a state that cannot otherwise justify its' existence to anyone except people in neighboring states that go there to buy illegal fireworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

M42 posted:

Someone pls link to the west mesa bone collector post.

Also, podcasts in thread topic vein? I listen to sword and scale, casefile, lore, and astonishing legends.

Remarkable Lives, Tragic Deaths can be unnerving sometimes, the same people also do Serial Killers and Unsolved Murders.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In addition to what has been mentioned, Someone Knows Something, Thin Air, and The Unresolved Podcast. I'm on the fence on True Crime Garage, but I'll toss it in case you might like it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Criminal is also a good one.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Here Be Monsters is up there for great stories on usually pretty unnerving topics.

Love + Radio can also be pretty unnerving, but most of their stuff is more human interest. L+R's The Red Dot is a jumping off point - it's... Upsetting, but so, so good. (NWS/NMS warning: dude ardently defending pedophilia)

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Mar 24, 2017

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Thinking Sideways and Last Podcast On The Left are pretty good podcasts on weird and creepy things. Casefile is great for horrible true crime stories.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Thinking Sideways and Last Podcast On The Left are pretty good podcasts on weird and creepy things. Casefile is great for horrible true crime stories.

I couldn't finish the first episode of LPotL. Do the hosts eventually stop acting like drive time radio DJs, or is it always like that?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Loucks posted:

I couldn't finish the first episode of LPotL. Do the hosts eventually stop acting like drive time radio DJs, or is it always like that?

No, they're always like that, but without the sense of timing of Morning Zoo DJs. The bits go on for so loving long, especially that one dude's (Henry's?) terrible accents.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
also weed, have we mentioned weed, and hail satan (for the weed) (the satan weed, hail satan)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If only the sword and scale guy wasn't such a pussy

Loucks
May 21, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, they're always like that, but without the sense of timing of Morning Zoo DJs. The bits go on for so loving long, especially that one dude's (Henry's?) terrible accents.

OK thanks. Too bad, because apparently they cover some cool stuff.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I saw a documentary yesterday that is very much for this thread: God knows where I am (https://letterboxd.com/film/god-knows-where-i-am/).

A dead woman is found in a house that has been for sale for a while. It's obvious she's been dead for a while. Her diaries are found next to her. She got to the house in october and moved in, enjoying the solitude, and she managed to hide from the neighbours all the time by mostly going out at night. The house used to be a farm, so she lives of water from a nearby brook and apples from a few old apple trees. Shortly after getting to the house she is nearly discovered by the owners, who drop by occasionally to check if everything is in order. One of them thinks she sees someone standing in the windows, but they check every room and don't find her. Unfortunately the woman never writes down where she hid. She continues living in the house, waiting for someone whom she is convinced will come and find her on the first sunday of lent. She harvests as many apples as she can, but unfortunately that year (I think 2008), the winter is very harsh. She rations her apples so she would have enough to last until the first sunday of lent. As her supplies dwindle you can tell from her diaries she gets nervous about it, but at no time does she seek help from her neighbours, who live only 500 yards away. She can actually see them watching tv from her window at night.

The guy who was supposed to come and get her never comes, and on the 5th of december she eats her last apple. She keeps writing in her diary. Somewhere around the 18th of december she writes down what she wants to be done with her body after it is found. Because there is so much snow she can just crawl to the door and get some without expending too much energy, which is probably why she lived for so long.

Christmas comes, new years eve comes

"12th of january: Snow very dirty"

"13th of january: -"

That was the last entry in her diary.

She was schizophrenic and often refused to take her medicine. Thought the chinese maffia was out to get her (she worked at a chinese restaurant). She was comitted to a mental hospital but was discharged because she constantly refused treatment. None of her relatives (daughter, sister, best friend) was informed of her discharge. They thought she was still in the hospital when they heard about her death.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Caustic Soda's a good podcast that covers a lot of creepy topics. They finished it up though so there's no new episodes, but what they've done is good

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The Last Podcast on the Left guys also believe in "chaos magick" (and keep telling you about it) and keep screaming about hailing Satan. Some of the episodes are barely listenable because of interesting topics, but the guys making it are insufferable.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dropbear posted:

The Last Podcast on the Left guys also believe in "chaos magick" (and keep telling you about it) and keep screaming about hailing Satan. Some of the episodes are barely listenable because of interesting topics, but the guys making it are insufferable.

They're not completely serious. It's mostly just nerdy exuberance.

But I can see how it would be grating if you're not into it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Loucks posted:

Same here. Wasn't my thing. I'm enjoying True Crime Historian (crime stories from the golden age of yellow journalism) - The dude just reads the paper, tracking the crime, the case and result. The old timey news writing is fun, and in the Pig Lady we get most of our news from Damon Runyon.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

kanonvandekempen posted:

None of her relatives (daughter, sister, best friend) was informed of her discharge. They thought she was still in the hospital when they heard about her death.
This was the creepiest part of the whole story. Goddamn.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also nothing cool
Literally everything in North Dakota is cool :smuggo:

Speaking of which, here's a creepy bit of local history, a sudden blizzard that killed 70 people in 1941: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3986098-75-years-later-survivors-recount-nightmare-was-ides-march-blizzard

quote:

"My grandfather left the implement dealer, heading home to his farm, about 6 miles northeast of Aneta. They found him about 100 yards from the house. ... His footprints were still in the snow. "He was following the fence, trying to find his way to the house. When the snow drifted over the top of the fence, he lost the fence.

"He was found frozen on his knees with his hands frozen together out in the field.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MissEchelon posted:

Caustic Soda's a good podcast that covers a lot of creepy topics. They finished it up though so there's no new episodes, but what they've done is good

Eh. Basically them reading from the Wiki article, interspersed with anti-American bigotry.

And Last Podcast is good, since Marcus Park is good about doing his research.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

whiteyfats posted:

Agreed, the series on Charles Manson is particularly good.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

whiteyfats posted:

Eh. Basically them reading from the Wiki article, interspersed with anti-American bigotry.

There are some bits of LPotL I dislike (loving Detective Popcorn), I can't imagine I'd be comfortable listening to some of those topics without anyone goofing around to lighten the mood. And they're good about separating fact from conjecture.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There are some bits of LPotL I dislike (loving Detective Popcorn), I can't imagine I'd be comfortable listening to some of those topics without anyone goofing around to lighten the mood. And they're good about separating fact from conjecture.

Mmmm how could you hate my buttery deliciousness mmmm

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Detective Popcorn is awesome, wtf.

And yeah, I was glad for some levity while they were doing the Albert Fish episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Criminal is also a good one.

It sure is.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't understand this idea that something becomes less disturbing because you're acting like murder and torture is hilarious. Like .... how does that not make it MORE creepy and awful?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
two more:

My favorite murder, fun but not exactly fact based
Hollywood and Crime, semi-dramatized coverage of the Black Dahlia murders

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

Why do people even live in Florida?

When they were deciding on a place to live they threw a dart at a globe and it landed in the garbage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

I don't understand this idea that something becomes less disturbing because you're acting like murder and torture is hilarious. Like .... how does that not make it MORE creepy and awful?

People have been using humor to cope with depressing/horrifying poo poo for millennia. Some people process things differently than others.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pookel posted:

Because a dead serious multi-hour discussion of Albert Fish, BTK or John Wayne Gacy is hard to listen to.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

whiteyfats posted:

Because a dead serious multi-hour discussion of Albert Fish, BTK or John Wayne Gacy is hard to listen to.
But people laughing about Albert Fish and John Wayne Gacy is even harder to listen to because WTF, how is this a topic for humor?

Like, I could watch a long documentary about 9/11. I do not want to see a comedy routine about 9/11. Everyone seems to agree that would be tasteless, so I'm not sure how this situation is different.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

pookel posted:

But people laughing about Albert Fish and John Wayne Gacy is even harder to listen to because WTF, how is this a topic for humor?

Like, I could watch a long documentary about 9/11. I do not want to see a comedy routine about 9/11. Everyone seems to agree that would be tasteless, so I'm not sure how this situation is different.

I mean, I don't disagree (because the people in these podcasts are mostly terrible) but nothing is (or should be) off the table when it comes to comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bLXk6UVts

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I would just say that the more sensitive the topic, the more deft a comedian has to be to be able to tackle it without being tasteless. In theory, maybe, nothing is off the table, but in practice, a lot of people who think they're funny should shut the gently caress up.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pookel posted:

Because laughing at things is a way people deal with horror? This ain't nothing new.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

I would just say that the more sensitive the topic, the more deft a comedian has to be to be able to tackle it without being tasteless. In theory, maybe, nothing is off the table, but in practice, a lot of people who think they're funny should shut the gently caress up.

You must be absolutely miserable in real life. I feel bad for you. Honestly. I can't imagine having to go through life not being able to find some sort of humor in terrible situations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

You must be absolutely miserable in real life. I feel bad for you. Honestly. I can't imagine having to go through life not being able to find some sort of humor in terrible situations.

They're right though. Transgressive humor requires actual skill at humor or it doesn't work. This isn't especially controversial.

Although maybe you sit around guffawing at that lovely dead terrorist puppeteer and your retiree neighbor's racist jokes, in which case you are probably beyond help anyway.

Edit: Jeff Dunham. I feel gross just googling the guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're right about needing skill to make jokes about tragedy, absolutely, but not understanding why people do it is pretty weird.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're right about needing skill to make jokes about tragedy, absolutely, but not understanding why people do it is pretty weird.

Oh, I'm phone posting so I missed that. This site used to be a center for just that kind of transgressive humor, so it's a surprising opinion. I'd link that 9/11 video, but again, phoneposting.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pookel posted:

Using small moments of levity to break up dramatic tension is a solid storytelling tactic to keep things from getting so dark as to turn off listeners.

Generally, however, it's not going to be making light of the actual murders unless it's something farcical like Rasputin's murder (seriously, how bad could one group of people be at assassination). Instead, it'll be something like the person who, during the Axeman of New Orleans' murder spree, took out a bravado-filled ad in the local paper with his name and address, inviting the killer to drop by that evening, because he'd be waiting up for the killer with his shotgun.

It doesn't make light of the horrible attacks, but it gives the listener some headspace between waves of horror and provides some colorful details, but if they're just cracking wise about how Decapitator of Prague's victims kept "losing their heads", it's generally just being tasteless or crass.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Ed Gein episodes were the best

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cumslut1895 posted:

I think the Ed Gein episodes were the best

Them poking fun at some of the insane alien conspiracy poo poo is cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Columbine and 9/11 episodes were also pretty good. Especially because the last 9/11 episode was about all the batshit conspiracy theories and how can you not laugh at that absurdity