Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The less charitable interpretation (drawn solely from this strip, I haven't gone back to the archives) is that Jen thought she was the special one, the destroyer, Satan's chosen warrior, the "anomaly" so when Pasqualo arrives and she realizes it was him, it was him all along, she's both destroyed and freed. All of her inadequacies laid bare in a single moment. But of course it's still not fair, it was supposed to be her, not anyone else.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

skipThings posted:

don't forget that this god judges you for being out in the sun, or is that some kind of metapher I'm not getting ?
Only women. Dudes can go outside as long as they don't touch their dicks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Only women. Dudes can go outside as long as they don't touch their dicks.

Which is completely unfair, because who would touch their own dick?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I was confused, but I reread all of the strips she was in, and found a common theme in her character. I think my interpretation works.

She was all the way up to her death obsessed with destroying what made her feel worthless instead of being worthy of someone. She tried to compete with her husband's superior scientific skill, she treated her only son like poo poo because he was a living embodiment of her own flaws, she tried to kill God for judging her.

She squandered all moments to be a mother, she ignored any moment of introspection, she blamed everyone around her. Her narcissism was only matched by her insecurity, and instead of gaining self respect or forgiveness, she tried to punch God in the face screaming that it wasn't fair.

I interpreted it similarly, but somewhat differently:

I don't think she cared all that much about being a mother. From the beginning she said she thought having a smart kid would be "useful" but ended up being too time-consuming.

What drove her was not just being the best scientific mind, but also being the one to make humanity the best it could be. She talked about her scientific progress and breakthroughs and her lifetime of work and never taking a break, and how it still wasn't good enough. She took on God because she thought she could do a much better job with her smarts and skills. She was telling the Devil that it was unfair that people that don't work as hard as her and seem to achieve more. That God's creation was stupid and she could do much better, and it's the destiny she thought she was meant to have.

But in that moment she realized that destiny was not for her. It was for Pasqualo, the whiny kid she could have had alongside her all along that reformed what was left of civilization. He got people to rally around him and make him their leader, and despite all his faults, they loved him for what he was and what he did for them. He achieved what she could not and seems to be the only person that could really come up with a better way. "It's you." "I thought it was me." It's not fair.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 24, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who What Now posted:

Which is completely unfair, because who would touch their own dick?

What if you accidentally brush it while trying to scratch your balls?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

If you're wearing gloves does it still count?

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Mordja posted:

The less charitable interpretation (drawn solely from this strip, I haven't gone back to the archives) is that Jen thought she was the special one, the destroyer, Satan's chosen warrior, the "anomaly" so when Pasqualo arrives and she realizes it was him, it was him all along, she's both destroyed and freed. All of her inadequacies laid bare in a single moment. But of course it's still not fair, it was supposed to be her, not anyone else.

ComfyPants posted:

I interpreted it similarly, but somewhat differently:

I don't think she cared all that much about being a mother. From the beginning she said she thought having a smart kid would be "useful" but ended up being too time-consuming.

What drove her was not just being the best scientific mind, but also being the one to make humanity the best it could be. She talked about her scientific progress and breakthroughs and her lifetime of work and never taking a break, and how it still wasn't good enough. She took on God because she thought she could do a much better job with her smarts and skills. She was telling the Devil that it was unfair that people that don't work as hard as her and seem to achieve more. That God's creation was stupid and she could do much better, and it's the destiny she thought she was meant to have.

But in that moment she realized that destiny was not for her. It was for Pasqualo, the whiny kid she could have had alongside her all along that reformed what was left of civilization. He got people to rally around him and make him their leader, and despite all his faults, they loved him for what he was and what he did for them. He achieved what she could not and seems to be the only person that could really come up with a better way. "It's you." "I thought it was me." It's not fair.

Yep!

I'm glad that people were sort of confused by this scene and that it led to some discussion. My hope was to have the moment be kind of surreal for Jen (and the readers), starting with seeing her own face on Pasqualo like that.

Gobolatula fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 24, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why have we decided to start spoilering everything on page 107.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gobolatula posted:

Yep!

I'm glad that people were sort of confused by this scene and that it led to some discussion. My hope was to have the moment be kind of surreal for Jen (and the readers), starting with seeing her own face on Pasqualo like that.

Back when my daughter was born, I celebrated by getting an avatar of Jen with some big ironic redtext saying "WORLD'S #1 MOM!!" :buddy: she's nearly 2 now holy crap time flies

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gobolatula posted:

Yep!

Gob, take this with you; this dumb gay strip is really good and makes me hurt in ways that let me know I'm alive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wasabi the J posted:

Gob, take this with you; this dumb gay strip is really good and makes me hurt in ways that let me know I'm alive.

:same:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Ballz posted:

Why have we decided to start spoilering everything on page 107.

I think a good rule of thumb is spoilering within the same page but once we're on a new one, we stop. That prevents accidental spoiling when someone loads the page where a new comic link is at. But that's just me.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

Back when my daughter was born, I celebrated by getting an avatar of Jen with some big ironic redtext saying "WORLD'S #1 MOM!!" :buddy: she's nearly 2 now holy crap time flies

Good Lord that flatters me off the ground and around the earth five times. Thank you so much!

Wasabi the J posted:

Aww, thank you very much. I enjoy making people feel stuff.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bifauxnen posted:

I know that if I ever squeeze a baby out of my vagina the first thing I'll do is buy a celebratory something awful avatar.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gobolatula posted:

Good Lord that flatters me off the ground and around the earth five times. Thank you so much!

Or around the sun two times!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I've already done the supplicant praise for this comic, so I'll just say same.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Incidentally, where can I get a Peng Floyd shirt?!?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

uhhh what

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So God is just some dumbass who doesn't know what he's doing either. That makes sense.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Looks like Maddie was right.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hahaha awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God kinda sucks

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The DBZ analogy is really fitting, because God's about as competent as Supreme Kai.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
And just like the Kais, most heavenly beings have the barest fraction of the strength of an evil real estate developer and the upper ranks of his army in the galaxy they're supposed to watch over.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Of course It Hurts! Universe God is both a weeb and a completely useless tool. Also of COURSE there's a stupid DBZ-style divine bureaucracy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Well Manicured Man posted:

The DBZ analogy is really fitting, because God's about as competent as Supreme Kai.

Seriously, if God's comparing themselves to a Kai, it's surprising that the world made it as long as it did before the Space Rhinos came. Hell, the space rhinos could probably invade and conquer heaven with their flyswatter.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only if there's turtles there, though.

Sadly there was never a beloved children's movie titled "All turtles go to heaven" so we'll never know if there are or not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I dunno, I actually kind of like God. She's useless, but cute.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, I actually kind of like God. She's useless, but cute.

Oh, God being an useless weeb is great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Actually, even though I just called God a "she" I don't think their gender was ever actually specified?

Hey Gob, is God a Lady, a Bro, or is their gender just whatever your imagination wants it to be?

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Actually, even though I just called God a "she" I don't think their gender was ever actually specified?

Hey Gob, is God a Lady, a Bro, or is their gender just whatever your imagination wants it to be?

In my head, the God in IT HURTS is a very beautiful dude. But I only really made Him a guy because He's based on a guy I know. If you feel otherwise I'm honestly not too hung up on It. I have a feeling that God wouldn't correct anyone if they called Him Her or something.

Gobolatula fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gobolatula posted:

In my head, the God in IT HURTS is a very beautiful dude. But I only really made Him a guy because He's based on a guy I know. If you feel otherwise I'm honestly not too hung up on It. I have a feeling that God wouldn't correct anyone if they called Him Her or something.

I know that, realistically, this guy probably doesn't actually glow...but I'm just going to go ahead and imagine you hanging out with some weird long haired glowing guy on the weekends.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
only 5 more updates till the end.

it hurts

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait, what?

[Checks the chapter name. "Final Chapter"]

WHY GOB? WHY?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Wait, what?

[Checks the chapter name. "Final Chapter"]

WHY GOB? WHY?

It's okay, soon he'll announce It Hurts!! Z.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So his dad is going to become a friend and sidekick, and someone is going to say "Pasq's sadness level is over 9000!"?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Slime posted:

It's okay, soon he'll announce It Hurts!! Z.

Super It Hurts Saga:Omega Edition

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Sadlord GT

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hey what's that eight thing next to magmaspider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hey what's that eight thing next to magmaspider?

God's throne (sideways infinity symbol)

• Locked thread