Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I didn't expect a Sartre reference in this game, especially not one so blatant and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

So anyone got DLC wishlists yet? For me it's pretty much Operation Pearl Harbor, 2B prequel and something with Accord

NG+ mode. Really just the same as it is now, but scale boss fights. Right.
Now, if you start over after getting the last ending, you start route A over again, but the bosses are the same level. All the other enemies scale to your level, so you fight a map full of level 60 machines to get to the level 3 boss. Which can't even hurt you. Like you can just stand there and you take no damage.

More "play as Pascal".

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
A challenge mode type DLC with character select would be great because you never get to fight really tough enemies as 2B and A2's scenario is just really short. With some jamming remixes and silly costumes to unlock like Nier's equivalent DLC I'd totally buy it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I'm almost ready to finish upgrading all my weapons. All I'm missing are some Machine Arms.

So I go to the vendor that sells them.

And they're not there.

And I realize.

In order to buy some machine arms after beating the game, I have to redo Pascal's mind wipe.

So I have to watch him break to go buy them.

gently caress you, game.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nina posted:

So anyone got DLC wishlists yet? For me it's pretty much Operation Pearl Harbor, 2B prequel and something with Accord

Something with A2 would be fun, she was the most fun main character to play as and didn't get too much screen or play-time. But, uh, the less attention for Drakengard 3 the better, honestly.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Oh I also require more flying missions

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nina posted:

Oh I also require more flying missions

Watch as Yoko Taro fulfills your wish, but he does so by adding sections that use the mechanics of the original Drakengard's dragon segments.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nina posted:

A challenge mode type DLC with character select would be great because you never get to fight really tough enemies as 2B and A2's scenario is just really short. With some jamming remixes and silly costumes to unlock like Nier's equivalent DLC I'd totally buy it.

I would love more characters. On one hand, I want a Caim DLC that replaces the flight suits with the dragon. On the other hand, I would love a 6O challenge mode DLC that lets you play as her finally getting to visit earth.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cowman posted:

I didn't expect a Sartre reference in this game, especially not one so blatant and funny.

Jean-Paul's name actually is Sartre in the original script, but his name was changed (and occasionally bleeped out of spoken dialogue) in regions outside of Japan. I assume the change is to avoid potential conflict with the personality rights of the actual Sartre's estate, since he didn't die all that long ago. I dunno why that wouldn't apply to the Japanese version, which still has all the other languages, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
a soul-crushingly hard dance-off rythm game, please

e; with super fly clubwear outfits for everyone

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Johnny Landmine posted:

I dunno why that wouldn't apply to the Japanese version, which still has all the other languages, though.

Because if you aren't Japanese it's impossible to win a court case in Japan. Japan hates you, you foreigner.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oh poo poo

I didn't know that the hacking tracks are out already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qIxzg7vpto

Listen at your own disclosure.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6qIxzg7vpto

polsy version

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

Oh poo poo

I didn't know that the hacking tracks are out already

I think Emil ran over A2's foot.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Don't stare at it, that's rude.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Supremezero posted:

So I'm almost ready to finish upgrading all my weapons. All I'm missing are some Machine Arms.

So I go to the vendor that sells them.

And they're not there.

And I realize.

In order to buy some machine arms after beating the game, I have to redo Pascal's mind wipe.

So I have to watch him break to go buy them.

gently caress you, game.

You know they're pretty common drops late game right? Just go to one of the infinite arenas. Don't subject yourself to more misery.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I definitely don't want any spoilers, but I just finished for the first time...

I'm playing as 9S in what I assume is route B, is there anything I should be extra-certain to do this time around, to minimize repetition once I want to get endings C/D/etc? I was mainly just planning on trying to find and upgrade all the weapons, and polish off all the sidequests my first game unexpectedly ended before I finished.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
I got this last night, played up to the first big boss, where it's those two mining things.

Died since it just kept rolling over me and it all happened to fast for me to try to dodge.

Had to start from the beginning >50 mins playtime WHAT

I rage quit shortly after but I will pick it up again tonight but jeez that was annoying. I'm too much of a scrub.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, I definitely don't want any spoilers, but I just finished for the first time...

I'm playing as 9S in what I assume is route B, is there anything I should be extra-certain to do this time around, to minimize repetition once I want to get endings C/D/etc? I was mainly just planning on trying to find and upgrade all the weapons, and polish off all the sidequests my first game unexpectedly ended before I finished.

You won't be able to find all the weapons IIRC, but definitely finish all the sidequests you can. The point of no return for sidequests is the part of the main quest where it asks you to go to the flooded city zone.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Pruney posted:

I got this last night, played up to the first big boss, where it's those two mining things.

Died since it just kept rolling over me and it all happened to fast for me to try to dodge.

I rage quit shortly after but I will pick it up again tonight but jeez that was annoying. I'm too much of a scrub.

You can always turn the difficulty down until you finish the prologue.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Tarezax posted:

You won't be able to find all the weapons IIRC, but definitely finish all the sidequests you can. The point of no return for sidequests is the part of the main quest where it asks you to go to the flooded city zone.

Hmkay, thanks... I think when I finally need to tick the weapons checkbox I might have to grit my teeth and consult a guide; there were a couple of moments in the first playthrough where exploration led to suddenly finding something new and awesome, but the moment my scanner found a weapon disguised as an ordinary loot drop in the flooded city, my expectation of finding 'em all without help instantly poofed.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pruney posted:

Your Dodge almost entirely consists of invincibility frames, you can chain infinite of them together.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, thanks... I think when I finally need to tick the weapons checkbox I might have to grit my teeth and consult a guide; there were a couple of moments in the first playthrough where exploration led to suddenly finding something new and awesome, but the moment my scanner found a weapon disguised as an ordinary loot drop in the flooded city, my expectation of finding 'em all without help instantly poofed.

Weapon Location Spoiler There's exactly one other weapon hidden with the scanner, and it's in the giant desert area. If you comb it long enough you should find it but I don't remember its exact location unfortunately. Other than that you should be able to get every weapon in Route B, barring the one you get from beating the first bonus boss as you'll probably be too low of a level to even harm it, and one that you have to wait until Route C to get as it's in the factory area. They're almost all from sidequests and shops otherwise.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Eopia posted:

Weapon Location Spoiler There's exactly one other weapon hidden with the scanner, and it's in the giant desert area. If you comb it long enough you should find it but I don't remember its exact location unfortunately. Other than that you should be able to get every weapon in Route B, barring the one you get from beating the first bonus boss as you'll probably be too low of a level to even harm it.

Oh hey, that's useful to know, thanks! Am I safe assuming that everything I don't get from quests/bosses by the point of no return can be found by carefully exploring out-of-the-way places?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Finished the game but there is still some things I don't understand:
who are "they"? The ones who prepared yorha to be destroyed and replaced. Droids from the moon or something?
how was the "backdoor" supposed to destroy yorha? If the plan worked they would just join the machines, giving machines more weapons, how is this a good idea in any way?
who were those 2 girls in the tower?

That being said I don't see how this is GOTY material. For a game that is designed to make you feel things there is too little going on between characters. They barely speak to one another, sure it's explained in the end but lack of interaction with a good reason is no substitute for an actual interaction. In terms of emotions PoP 2008 ending had much more impact for example.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 24, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eopia posted:

Weapon Location Spoiler There's exactly one other weapon hidden with the scanner, and it's in the giant desert area. If you comb it long enough you should find it but I don't remember its exact location unfortunately.

Two, actually. The other one is really hard to miss though, it's in the only place you have to use the scanner so chances are you'll find it on your own.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pruney posted:

Since I already played the first area through quite a few times here is what I did with zero shame: I put it on easy, threw on all the easy mode auto chips and L2'd my way through the prologue. Once I could save I switched the dificulty back and moved on. It's fast and for the short duration it's actually really fun. Just ditch it once you can. I can't imagine playing the whole game that way.

Also note that some of the cutscenes during the prologue can be skipped. Saves time as well.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Two, actually. The other one is really hard to miss though, it's in the only place you have to use the scanner so chances are you'll find it on your own.

You mean iron will, right? That one freaked me out... invisible pickup + extremely easy-to-miss location (I assumed the scanner's cone was pointing at the girl, and only noticed the item as I was jumping down. I had a momentary flash of panic that I'd have to chase down dozens of hidden weapons.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh hey, that's useful to know, thanks! Am I safe assuming that everything I don't get from quests/bosses by the point of no return can be found by carefully exploring out-of-the-way places?

Pretty much, but there's some exploration locked behind that point of no return that you won't be able to do until Route C.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

You mean iron will, right? That one freaked me out... invisible pickup + extremely easy-to-miss location (I assumed the scanner's cone was pointing at the girl, and only noticed the item as I was jumping down. I had a momentary flash of panic that I'd have to chase down dozens of hidden weapons.

Yup! It highlights the YorHa soldier too, even if you've spoken to her already, so it's hard to miss. But still worth mentioning since if you just rush back to the relevant NPC like I did at first you might miss the sword. I only messed around with the scanner on my way out and noticed it highlighted the other soldiers and thought maybe that was how you got to that far off building that requires a crazy long jump to reach.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nina posted:

More Jackass, solving all her problems with drugs, explosions and fish.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Finished the game but there is still some things I don't understand:
who are "they"? The ones who prepared yorha to be destroyed and replaced. Droids from the moon or something?
how was the "backdoor" supposed to destroy yorha? If the plan worked they would just join the machines, giving machines more weapons, how is this a good idea in any way?
who were those 2 girls in the tower?

They are the machines. Machines destroy and rebuild Yorha so they can evolve through the constant combat with them. Yorha exists because the machines allow it. The 2 girls are the machine network aka the will of the machines. Adam and Eve are high level machines / admins, but they don't have the full picture.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They are the machines. Machines destroy and rebuild Yorha so they can evolve through the constant combat with them. Yorha exists because the machines allow it. The 2 girls are the machine network aka the will of the machines. Adam and Eve are high level machines / admins, but they don't have the full picture.

Ahh, I see. Is there information on how this came to be? I assume there was initially an actual android vs machine war but now they ultimately control the androids. Also the moon situation in unclear. The commander gets her orders from the moon server or? Moon broadcasts certainly seem to be part of the system to keep androids going so why build a missile to destroy it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Ahh, I see. Is there information on how this came to be? I assume there was initially an actual android vs machine war but now they ultimately control the androids. Also the moon situation in unclear. The commander gets her orders from the moon server or? Moon broadcasts certainly seem to be part of the system to keep androids going so why build a missile to destroy it?

I think all of this info is explained ingame and through the texts you can find. I also can't remember, but I don't think it is explained where the commander gets her orders from. Probably the moon. Have you beaten route C and seen endings C and D? One of them explains what the big rear end tower is(not a missile).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This thread has almost over 1000 posts since I last looked, and it was barely that long ago. It's kind of really hard to keep up with, but kind of amazing that Nier's getting this much attention.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where is it stated that the machines rebuild YoRHa?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Endings C/D spoilers: I think the machines originally intended to destroy the human server once their evolution was "completed"; after all, their original orders were to defeat the androids, and destroying the human server would be a massive blow to android morale that would allow them to be easily crushed. But in the course of this final cycle they changed their minds, and decided to build an ark instead to leave the remaining androids in peace. Whether Yorha was originally created by machines or androids is unclear. I think it was originally an android authority and the machines merely infiltrated it to turn it to their advantage.

The intro after the prologue states that androids were deployed from a whole network of orbiting satellites, and IIRC all the Resistance members are part of earlier descents. The special Yorha models we see were only deployed in the last two descents as far as I can tell, A2 being the only survivor of the previous wave.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 24, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CrashScreen posted:

Where is it stated that the machines rebuild YoRHa?

I don't think its explicitly stated, but implied. Or maybe it was in one of the documents you find as you climb the tower. Either way, the machines had the backdoor to the bunker. They evolve through combat so they need an opponent to keep fighting. Also why would there be 14 machine wars instead of just 1 long continuous war if they didn't keep destroying and rebuilding Yorha.

Someone with a better memory can chime in and correct / fill in the blanks.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The backdoor is in place thanks to the unseen YoRHa authority to wipe them out as a part of the cycle to develop new generations of androids, kill them intentionally and develop stronger androids based on their battle data. It becomes obvious if you read the stage play.

The added bonus in this cycle is getting rid of Commander and everyone else who knows the truth about humanity other than the actual moonbase personnel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PS4 version have HDR?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Playing route C and I'm sad now. 6O :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nina posted:

The backdoor is in place thanks to the unseen YoRHa authority to wipe them out as a part of the cycle to develop new generations of androids, kill them intentionally and develop stronger androids based on their battle data. It becomes obvious if you read the stage play.

The added bonus in this cycle is getting rid of Commander and everyone else who knows the truth about humanity other than the actual moonbase personnel.

Ok, so my original question came full circle. So it's never explained who are "they"? And the plan doesn't kill YoRHa, it just lets the machines take over them? It doesn't sound very smart