Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

oh, poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, resigned after the AP revealed he took kickbacks directly from russian oligarchs linked to putin: https://www.apnews.com/122ae0b5848345faa88108a03de40c5a/Manafort's-plan-to-'greatly-benefit-the-Putin-Government?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

The DNC leaks were released through wikileaks, the site run by a man who both makes a regular appearance of russian state owned television, and has specifically requested the protection of Russian state security forces while he stays in that embassy http://www.salon.com/2017/01/07/donald-trump-julian-assange-and-russia-how-theyre-connected-and-how-they-changed-an-election/

Trump himself has received loans from russian banks, and the russian mob operates out of Trump tower

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Also lol you've never seen me post before if you think I'm a hillshill

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

Gazprom hires Ivanka for $500,000 to speak at their event

transcripts where

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was kidding Mao you're actually a very bad poster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

if there's nothing to hide, it's actually way smarter for trump to let the democrats and media hang themselves on a witchhunt that goes nowhere

if there's nothing to hide, then they probably wouldn't have hidden it in the first place

like, yeah, it's perfectly possible to have innocent, corruption-free talks and business with Russian officials. there's also no reason to leave them off ethics forms or lie to Republican officials about them

all this crap about "McCarthyism" and "Cold War 2" sounds exactly like tankie whining about how mean the filthy American scum are to glorious, noble Russia

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, resigned after the AP revealed he took kickbacks directly from russian oligarchs linked to putin: https://www.apnews.com/122ae0b5848345faa88108a03de40c5a/Manafort's-plan-to-'greatly-benefit-the-Putin-Government?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

The DNC leaks were released through wikileaks, the site run by a man who both makes a regular appearance of russian state owned television, and has specifically requested the protection of Russian state security forces while he stays in that embassy http://www.salon.com/2017/01/07/donald-trump-julian-assange-and-russia-how-theyre-connected-and-how-they-changed-an-election/

Trump himself has received loans from russian banks, and the russian mob operates out of Trump tower

You're ill seek help

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm a cool guy, just looking fffor a fun time shitposting

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

rudatron posted:

Also lol you've never seen me post before if you think I'm a hillshill

all people who disagree with me are hillfolk

all people who disagree with me are typical libs

democrats are cosplaying McCarthy with their baseless investigations

I am the extent of right wing discourse.

If the Clinton Foundation stands as an example of pay to play because international players contributed to it to gain influence to Clinton then what does this mean about Trump?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-property-specialreport-idUSKBN16O2F6

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/why-did-a-russian-pay-95m-to-buy-trumps-palm-beach-mansion/

Because Trump has received upwards of a hundred million dollars directly from Russian oligarchs while very specifically saying that he, personally, had no business inside Russia.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

You're ill seek help

:ironicat:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Brother Friendship posted:

all people who disagree with me are hillfolk

all people who disagree with me are typical libs

democrats are cosplaying McCarthy with their baseless investigations

I am the extent of right wing discourse.

If the Clinton Foundation stands as an example of pay to play because international players contributed to it to gain influence to Clinton then what does this mean about Trump?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-property-specialreport-idUSKBN16O2F6

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/why-did-a-russian-pay-95m-to-buy-trumps-palm-beach-mansion/

Because Trump has received upwards of a hundred million dollars directly from Russian oligarchs while very specifically saying that he, personally, had no business inside Russia.

it clearly means trump is a corrupt piece of poo poo, thats obvious.

whats not obvious is why anyone would listen to anything that american intelligence agencies say

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Modest Mao posted:

You're ill seek help

assage and wikileaks are a wholly owned subsidiary of the fsb and putin which is why they repeatedly defended putin in the panama papers

sorry you're too rock gently caress stupid to figure this really basic fact out

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this thread is gaslighting me

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

whats not obvious is why anyone would listen to anything that american intelligence agencies say

same reason the GOP should listen to what the CBO says: because if an agency is so worthless that it can't even be trusted to do its job, it should be reformed or dismantled, not just ignored

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

RE: Iraq War

The Bush administration ignored and actively attacked any and all intelligence reports that didn't serve their political interests in their pursuit of war. The term 'stove piping' was used to describe how the Bush administration only accepted reports that coincided with their pre determined beliefs and this is the root cause of the WMD debacle. It wasn't that the intelligence community necessarily failed in its task of assessing the actual presence of WMD, although the post 9/11 craziness played a role and I'm sure plenty of them were banging the drums, but rather that Bush needed his war and didn't care how he got it. The same thing happened with the State department and the Pentagon for the invasion and occupation of Iraq: people who knew what they were doing were sidelined to make way for geniuses like Bremer.

US intelligence isn't a joke to be dismissed with an eye roll, just like how it shouldn't be accepted without question. You're supposed to take a step back, assess the situation and make your own judgment based on the evidence presented. And honestly idgaf what US intelligence says because I know that Russia is a garbage state that is driving itself into bankruptcy to undermine the West and that Trump is a dumb rear end stooge that plays to their purpose.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Terror Sweat posted:

This is the POV that made elements of the left so easy for Putin to manipulate.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
nothing to see about the russia stuff folk

it's all theater

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/845293157055107072

said the republicans and "leftists" in the thread

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It's really weird that the republicans are so eager to shut down this giant nothingburger distraction that is hurting the democrats.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

It's really weird that the republicans are so eager to shut down this giant nothingburger distraction that is hurting the democrats.
This apart from it is isn't, because it's distracting from the absolute disaster that is the Republican party's schismatic health bill while Wolf Blitzer et al run around casting aspersions.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
What healthcare bill? Russia has so consumed every corner of my consciousness that I have no idea what you're talking about.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

jBrereton posted:

This apart from it is isn't, because it's distracting from the absolute disaster that is the Republican party's schismatic health bill while Wolf Blitzer et al run around casting aspersions.

So what if the administration is choking on scandals and incompetence while being forced to attack its own allies as an FBI investigation looms overhead? It's actually a good thing becau-

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

So what if the administration is choking on scandals and incompetence while being forced to attack its own allies as an FBI investigation looms overhead? It's actually a good thing becau-

it's distracting us from democrats are bad which is the only thing that matters

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Some dance of manners about rich people taking bribes is probably less newsworthy and dare I say it relevant to most people's lives than the fact that tens of millions of americans are being put on the train towards bankruptcy by the Freedom Caucus imo.

Like the Russia thing is either a nothingburger or really important, people have their minds made up, this healthcare thing should be the death of the GOP.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

jBrereton posted:

Some dance of manners about rich people taking bribes is probably less newsworthy and dare I say it relevant to most people's lives than the fact that tens of millions of americans are being put on the train towards bankruptcy by the Freedom Caucus imo.

Like the Russia thing is either a nothingburger or really important, people have their minds made up, this healthcare thing should be the death of the GOP.

it's wont be because the people that would die under it will still always vote for team R

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gringostar posted:

it's wont be because the people that would die under it will still always vote for team R
This.

Just take a look at the life expectancy in states that vote Republican consistently vs. ones that vote Democrat. Republican voters have already made their peace with the idea that they're going to die early.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/845045509366665217

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

on the other hand,

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/845048554368458752

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
historically russians have supported republicans

quote:

Last year, the intelligence community, which consists of sixteen U.S. entities that collect secret information, produced classified and unclassified versions of a report on the Russian influence campaign during the election...

...Nunes thanked him and turned to Representative Peter King, of New York. King was less circumspect than Nunes had been. “I would just say on that because, again, we’re not going into the classified sections, that indicating that historically Russians have supported Republicans, and I know that language is there, to me puts somewhat of a cloud over the entire report,” King said.

I didn’t notice it at the time, though I was in the room, and the C-SPAN video of the hearing doesn’t capture it, but Democrats told me that there was, at this point, a minor commotion on the dais. King had just revealed that the classified version of the report had concluded “that historically Russians have supported Republicans.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I mean how historically are talking here

I can't imagine they were supporting them in the eighties, although they probably were in the sixties and seventies.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

jBrereton posted:

I mean how historically are talking here

I can't imagine they were supporting them in the eighties, although they probably were in the sixties and seventies.

boy are you in for a shocker when you finally read it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

boy are you in for a shocker when you finally read it
I just read it and I'm not sure some KGB guy saying "we always supported the less reactionary Democrats" is necessarily true? (2016 is Not Really Historical Yet imo especially since this stuff is all over the press)

Like this is my own reading of it, they had good reason to support literally anyone over JFK/LBJ and Carter (because Carter stopped US wheat exports to the USSR over the regime change in Afghanistan, at a time of cyclical contraction in Russian agricultural yields).

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

jBrereton posted:

I just read it and I'm not sure some KGB guy saying "we always supported the less reactionary Democrats" is necessarily true? (2016 is Not Really Historical Yet imo especially since this stuff is all over the press)

Like this is my own reading of it, they had good reason to support literally anyone over JFK/LBJ and Carter (because Carter stopped US wheat exports to the USSR over the regime change in Afghanistan, at a time of cyclical contraction in Russian agricultural yields).

nunes literally name drops reagan right before the exchange in question

quote:

“I’m just asking a general question,” Nunes said. “Wouldn’t it be a little preposterous to say that, historically, going back to Ronald Reagan and all that we know about maybe who the Russians would prefer, that somehow the Russians prefer Republicans over Democrats?

Watching the hearing, this seemed like a curious line of questioning. Because members of the House Intelligence Committee often know a great deal more than they can say publicly, they sometimes use their questioning to hint at what they have learned in classified settings. Nunes’s questions seemed to suggest some broader debate, as Comey confirmed when he shut down the exchange.

“I’m not going to discuss in an unclassified forum,” he said. “In the classified segment of the reporting version that we did, there is some analysis that discusses this because, remember, this did come up in our assessment on the Russian piece.

furthermore, the KGB agent in question served during the nixon administration when it's zero surprise that they would want anyone other than nixon for a huge variety of reasons from opening up trade relations with china to ending vietnam to being loving nixon

quote:

I asked Oleg Kalugin, a former K.G.B. general who now lives in Virginia, about the intelligence community’s alleged claim that Russia has historically supported Republican Presidential candidates. “No, that’s not true,” he told me. He said that, when he was a press officer at the Soviet Embassy, during the Nixon era, it was part of his job to send daily reports to Moscow on American Presidential elections.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Would the Russians oppose LBJ because he was fighting communism in Vietnam or support LBJ because we were getting hosed up in Vietnam?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

JeffersonClay posted:

Would the Russians oppose LBJ because he was fighting communism in Vietnam or support LBJ because we were getting hosed up in Vietnam?

it's complicated

vietnam was a massive black eye to the us on the world stage but was being supported more by china then russia, but vietnam was way more complicated than just the us vs communism proxy war everyone thinks

but then there was the cuban missile crisis that LBJ was vice president during made him less than popular with them

Gringostar has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Mar 25, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gringostar posted:

second one

vietnam was a massive black eye to the us on the world stage

plus vietnam was being supported more by china then russia so it was a win/win for them to keep it going

plus the whole cuban missile crisis that LBJ was vice president during

Vietnam most certainly wasn't not in the sinosphere during the war. The north was fighting with maoists in Cambodia, and fought a war with china directly after unifying the country, and had major direct russian support.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Bip Roberts posted:

Vietnam most certainly wasn't not in the sinosphere during the war. The north was fighting with maoists in Cambodia, and fought a war with china directly after unifying the country, and had major direct russian support.

china sent a poo poo load of aid to the north but yeah they were pretty much playing both sides during it, which is why i revised my post to say vietnam was complicated

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I started reading the sino-soviet split wikipedia article and I forgot that it started because China was pissed that Russia was criticizing Stalin, who had Done Nothing Wrong. lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cia-director-mike-flynn-and-turkish-officials-discussed-removal-of-erdogan-foe-from-u-s-1490380426

it's not just russia btw

trump and his team have a poo poo load of shady as gently caress connections with forign governments

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

I started reading the sino-soviet split wikipedia article and I forgot that it started because China was pissed that Russia was criticizing Stalin, who had Done Nothing Wrong. lol

Mao feared it would jeopardize his own power base. Turns out in the process he only delayed the revisionism for another decade or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
oh cool, another wikileaks dump is gona happen

https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/845688897707364353

• Locked thread