Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bud K ninja sword posted:

its helps for headbutting

Until the main series lets you play as a Krogan it is our only recourse for Headbutt Supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah but krogan effect is just basically a constant nonstop fight with a booming krogan laugh soundtrack until you die gloriously and go to valhalla temporarily.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
architect fight on insanity is fun. i almost dropped difficulty after like 40 mins

edit: soldier profile made that so much loving easier. trying to do that as biotic or vanguard was ridiculous

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 24, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There are so many bugs on the Nexus, ugh. NPC conversations playing from several rooms away, people popping in and out and phasing around, wrong subtitles loading for conversations... it's really loving bad and that's a shame because this is a good game.

Also I HATE the lighting in the Ops Center. Why are all the turians gleaming loving white? Ack!!! :argh:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

There are so many bugs on the Nexus, ugh. NPC conversations playing from several rooms away, people popping in and out and phasing around, wrong subtitles loading for conversations... it's really loving bad and that's a shame because this is a good game.

Also I HATE the lighting in the Ops Center. Why are all the turians gleaming loving white? Ack!!! :argh:

I assumed it was a low-key redesign of them until I saw Vetra for the first time.

Bud K ninja sword posted:

yeah but krogan effect is just basically a constant nonstop fight with a booming krogan laugh soundtrack until you die gloriously and go to valhalla temporarily.

And...?

No joke, the game would be much better if they excised the main villains completely and just made a game about exploring uncharted worlds and meeting/fighting/loving new and strange alien races.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Those conversations where the camera just zooms in over ryders shoulder and the npc you're talking to does their best statue imitation. And such a wide array of emotions they display on their face while they talk!

Also: *taps on omnitool for a few seconds, puts it away for a few seconds, taps on omnitool again x infinity, all while never turning their head away from you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

And...?

No joke, the game would be much better if they excised the main villains completely and just made a game about exploring uncharted worlds and meeting/fighting/loving new and strange alien races.

no complaints about a krogan effect here man, Im trying to James T Kirk over here and the game isnt giving me enough *punch* or *gently caress* trigger button options :shrug:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, is there a way to tell your squad mates to use particular moves or not? I'm confused as gently caress.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

nickmeister posted:

Okay, is there a way to tell your squad mates to use particular moves or not? I'm confused as gently caress.

nope.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nickmeister posted:

You can give them a point on the ground to guard, and targets to aim at, but that's the extent of it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Those conversations where the camera just zooms in over ryders shoulder and the npc you're talking to does their best statue imitation. And such a wide array of emotions they display on their face while they talk!

Also: *taps on omnitool for a few seconds, puts it away for a few seconds, taps on omnitool again x infinity, all while never turning their head away from you

You can move the camera during those, so you can look at all your Ryder's emotions

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, combos happen when I use a "primer" or something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nickmeister posted:

So, combos happen when I use a "primer" or something?

Yeah, if you use a primer (such as singularity or pull or cryo) and then hit them with a detonator (such as charge or lance) the will explode for bonus damage. Singularity primes everyone in its radius so it can be used for combo chains. As I recall someone mentioning, the held version of Overload automatically chains from through targets, and if they're all primed... :getin:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sombrerotron posted:

Thanks, the angle and lighting are helping though. Can't really see that she's got a bit of an O-shaped skull. To wit:

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, but if I'd had the option I would've narrowed the temples a little.

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to add me on Origin for whatever reason, my Origin ID's the same as my SA username.

In the UI leaking outside the screen.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

The best bit is if the conversation has the NPC move around at all, when the conversation is over they'll zoom back to their starting places like a they're in a galaxy sized Truman Show.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I would play Krogan Effect every day even or perhaps especially if it was a non-stop fight.

Imagine being allowed to respond to a sidequest request with "sure, if you fuckin' pay me upfront you lazy rear end in a top hat."

Implement a Witcher style haggling system except at any moment you can trigger the headbutt mechanic and settle the price that way.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"We put a lot more female aliens in this game. Like there are so many female turian npcs now."

"Great. What about the Salarians?"

"Oh poo poo...uh...just stick some lipstick on the male model, should be good."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Tiny Deer posted:

I would play Krogan Effect every day even or perhaps especially if it was a non-stop fight.

Imagine being allowed to respond to a sidequest request with "sure, if you fuckin' pay me upfront you lazy rear end in a top hat."

Implement a Witcher style haggling system except at any moment you can trigger the headbutt mechanic and settle the price that way.

I saw a game yesterday called Katana Zero that had timing based dialogues. A meter fills as people talk and your responses change as it fills up to reflect the fact that you've been paying attention to what they have to say and thought about what to say in turn. But the first part of the meter is blood red impatience that is always stuff like *hang up*, "Shut up," "I don't have time for this," or "OH MY GOD I loving KNOW ALREADY!"

I just imagine a game of Krogan Negotiator that's like inverse Alpha Protocol style time based dialogue options, but with that meter getting longer and longer as conversations keep going until finally you mash the button when its still red and go full HEADBUTT BLOODRAGE!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

I saw a game yesterday called Katana Zero that had timing based dialogues. A meter fills as people talk and your responses change as it fills up to reflect the fact that you've been paying attention to what they have to say and thought about what to say in turn. But the first part of the meter is blood red impatience that is always stuff like *hang up*, "Shut up," "I don't have time for this," or "OH MY GOD I loving KNOW ALREADY!"

I just imagine a game of Krogan Negotiator that's Alpha Protocol style time based dialogue options, but with that meter getting longer and longer as conversations keep going until finally you mash the button when its still red and go full HEADBUTT BLOODRAGE!

Actually there would be no meter and it's just the first response for absolutely everything, including especially the romance scenes.

"TAKE IT OFF!"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I skipped the last 100 pages of furry fanart, was there anything else of value in it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you button mash, it's always *headbutt.*

When you are krogan, every dialogue option is a Renegade Interrupt.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, if you use a primer (such as singularity or pull or cryo) and then hit them with a detonator (such as charge or lance) the will explode for bonus damage. Singularity primes everyone in its radius so it can be used for combo chains. As I recall someone mentioning, the held version of Overload automatically chains from through targets, and if they're all primed... :getin:

People keep talking about these prime/detonate combos, but they just don't seem to be working for me. Or they just do poo poo all damage and are pointless? Either way, ostensibly primed targets aren't taking any more damage from detonator abilities than they would without being primed as far as I can tell. I was really hoping annihilation + nova would be a winning combination but apparently not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How can I get upgraded versions of weapons like the Disciple and Omni-Blade? They're not researchable as far as I can tell.

Tiny Deer posted:

Isn't Krogan Effect just Doom (2016 version) with different textures?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"We put a lot more female aliens in this game. Like there are so many female turian npcs now."

That's how it is in real life.

Clowns are just female mimes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I skipped the last 100 pages of furry fanart, was there anything else of value in it?

A guy lost all his weapons and levels because of a glitch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can you do anything with planets that you can't land on other than scan for anomalies? Also if the answer is yes, do they tell you this and I'm dumb and missed it or do they not tell you this because they are the dumb ones?

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you do anything with planets that you can't land on other than scan for anomalies? Also if the answer is yes, do they tell you this and I'm dumb and missed it or do they not tell you this because they are the dumb ones?

They are the dumb ones. Don't waste your time scanning a planet unless there's an anomaly. This game was designed by some truly awful people.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So like I'm going full space wizard, currently using Pull, Throw (with optional primer upgrade), and Lance (upgraded to have no cooldown but use shields)

So my question is, if I upgrade barrier theres a talent that says it reduces the cost of lance (cost in shields) but it doesn't say how much; has anyone taken this? Alternatively, has anyone found a brokenly-awesome space wizard build/gun? Also I can't find anywhere near enough Milky Way research to make the N7 armor I need to boost my powerses, where do I find MW research?

TIA love ya

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

People keep talking about these prime/detonate combos, but they just don't seem to be working for me. Or they just do poo poo all damage and are pointless? Either way, ostensibly primed targets aren't taking any more damage from detonator abilities than they would without being primed as far as I can tell. I was really hoping annihilation + nova would be a winning combination but apparently not.

You're not doing it right - annihilation has a really lovely radius (until or even after you upgrade the radius) so you may not be getting close enough to prime them - also with annihilation it takes a second for them to be in your "aura" before they are primed, like it ticks every second or something.

If you're adept grab Pull, throw it at someone and while they're floating in the air either charge, throw, or lance them - they will explode and words will appear that say "BIOTIC COMBO" or if you have incinerate in engi you can prime them with that and it'll say "FIRE COMBO" when you detonate

It's pretty hard to do a combo and not be aware of it. Are you playing charge-y guy (assuming w annihilation and nova)? Get really close and when you see a guy get the shiney primed effect on him in your annihilation, charge him from close range, THEN youll see a combo!!!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think nova detonates

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Uh, is there a way to set conversations to "automatic" or something? I just had my first one on one talk with Jaal in the ship and I didn't get any dialogue choices that I'm pretty sure are there, just and un-ending stream of awkward dialogue until it was time for me to say good-bye.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think nova detonates

Correct. It can prime, but it's a short window.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Investing enough points into biotics lets you detonate combos on guys who aren't even primed, which is hilarious. It just sucks that enemies spread out really quickly in this game and you don't get many chances for big chains of explosions.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
this game broke my save and the multiplayer's bad too

10/10 - le ps4

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Just click the little "?" button under my avatar, you'll read all the posts you need, friend :3:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Playing more instead of being at work :toot:

Game still good now that I have a ship and squad and can go places. The first 2-3 hours though... ugh, that really was one of the worst openings of a video game I've played in recent memory.

I actually really like the slow animations moving between planets in a system. It makes that section of the game really meditative and chill. And the new Uncharted Worlds is good to listen to.

Still torn between Jaal and Vetra for my romance option >:T

Climb that mountain baby, I'll see you at the top *fist bump*

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eyes are so crazy looking and it's sucks you can't make a good looking character but game is decent.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Well there's your problem: Nova isn't a detonator. It's a primer, but only if you choose the spec that makes it do so.

Here's a list of actual combo primers and detonators. Make sure to read the in-game descriptions carefully, because some powers only do so under specific circumstances and evolutions.

(For some reason the game doesn't list Overload as a primer (and that link doesn't either), but it absolutely does prime for tech combos. The priming duration is very short, just the second or two that the enemy is stunned by the attack, but I've been using it consistently for twenty hours now.)

I like this, frankly. They're perfectly suited for being an androgynous species.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Spikeguy posted:

Climb that mountain baby, I'll see you at the top *fist bump*

I like the space cut of your space jib!

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Just did the most bullshit side quest. (Someone with a contagious virus was thawed out and has gone missing, track them down before a plague breaks out!) That fucker breadcrumbed through every zone on the Nexus/Hyperion, then made me jump into and scan for anomalies through FIVE systems with their stupid 20 second travel animations, before finally concluding at the destination which was obvious from the moment I left the Nexus and goddamnit BioWare stop trolling me you pricks. At least there was a bit of actual presentation to the conclusion unlike a lot of the minor side quests but whoever designed this one is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

this game broke my save and the multiplayer's bad too

10/10 - le ps4

no actually its really good game

BrianWilly posted:

I like this, frankly. They're perfectly suited for being an androgynous species.

it beats the dumb kissy lips and tits the cat people have