Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

If the next 46 months are anything like the first two have been then I can't wrap my head around how anyone could ever again trust Republicans to govern. Everything about how they've handled this bill has been insanely inept.

They'll just blame the "RINOs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

sorry guys i think the lovely trumpcare bill passes either tmr or next week: the suicide caucus is suicidal but not that suicidal, they want to get re-elected and trump is playing the "I don't care if I win re-election" madman theory chess move.

the HFC will bend and the moderates will go along because it's more politically suicidal not to pass a repeal than to pass a repeal

Trump played this pretty well except for signing up for it in the first place thing, the senate OTOH is gonna be much bigger challenge

If this were true the last week would not have occurred.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Deceit and bigotry.

Pfft, I'm pinning this on all Republicans no matter what. Them, Trump, and Trump voters.

Oh definitely blame them all. It's just you can't treat them as a unit for figuring out what they'll do. But every one of them deserves as much scorn as humanly possible.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 24, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/845097863650660353

He has 23 solid Nos, and a lot of the conservatives he has as probably are pretty solid nos.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/845099934386933760

Allegedly 8-10 house suicide caucus members are ready to cave

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not getting my hopes up. Still not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Either the Republicans are humiliated or millions of Americans including myself become significantly closer to death so I'm calling this a win-win situation

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So Trump is playing hardball and threatening that this will be last opportunity he gives to repeal ACA. Freakout causes yes votes. I wonder if this will work.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So Trump is playing hardball and threatening that this will be last opportunity he gives to repeal ACA. Freakout causes yes votes. I wonder if this will work.
Both sides still posturing.
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/845089540708687872
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/845090040128684033

Guess we find out tomorrow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The HFC might be buckling, at least part of it. I don't think all of it will, but there's also the moderates. I think if they get real close they may be able to twist enough moderate arms, but they've got to be close. I think its going to be a nailbiter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

new No vote:

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/845106078983565312

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/845106333145874432

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

He said on his Twitter that the changes they've been making to the bill weren't pushed by the HFC. So yep it won't get passed.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Living in red states my whole life has taught me one thing; repubs will always do the most horrible thing possible hahahahahahaha welcome to my hell mother fuckers!!!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
My mom, who's an avid Fox News watcher, was talking about the AHCA this weekend. She said one of the awesome things about it was it gives different small businesses the ability to get together and buy a group policy. I have not heard or seen anything about it and I can't find anything about it. Anybody else heard of that?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

volts5000 posted:

My mom, who's an avid Fox News watcher, was talking about the AHCA this weekend. She said one of the awesome things about it was it gives different small businesses the ability to get together and buy a group policy. I have not heard or seen anything about it and I can't find anything about it. Anybody else heard of that?

That comes in one of the other prongs I think. It's (supposedly) part of their plan but it's not in the bill they're voting on tomorrow.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

volts5000 posted:

I work for a smallish business and we already do that and our insurance (which is super bad rear end) is free :shrug:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

volts5000 posted:

You can already do this. You don't need a law to do it for you.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

BlueBlazer posted:

So my mom thinks this is some wonderful selling point, but she can do this already?!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlueBlazer posted:

Is this like "selling across state lines," where you can do it already but the Republicans want to make it unregulated?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BlueBlazer posted:

Yeah it has been what quite a few Texas counties have been doing for a few decades now, grouping up to get better coverage and rates.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you own a small business of like <25 employees currently you have to pay out the rear end for a group plan - I'm guessing AHCA allows businesses with few employees to buy group plans at a cheaper rate

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

volts5000 posted:

So my mom thinks this is some wonderful selling point, but she can do this already?!

yeah been true for a while. small business i used to work for did it back when ACA forced them to start providing insurance

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/845097863650660353

He has 23 solid Nos, and a lot of the conservatives he has as probably are pretty solid nos.

I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they have spreadsheet skills like that.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Zil posted:

Yeah it has been what quite a few Texas counties have been doing for a few decades now, grouping up to get better coverage and rates.

We do it through some kind of ADP thing and are registered as an LLC as ADP or something weird, not 100% how it all works but we have > 25 employees.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
welp

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/845106131357847552
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/845109772634542080

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Well I was wrong last night, but I bet it'll pass tomorrow. Always expect the worst thing to happen.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Ogmius815 posted:

Well I was wrong last night, but I bet it'll pass tomorrow. Always expect the worst thing to happen.
At this point, I'm guessing it narrowly fails with more votes piling on once that's clear, but who the hell knows. Maybe enough of the wingnuts were all bluster, maybe enough of the moderates buy in to assurances from the Senate in spite of the earlier noise about parliamentary rulings. I'm eating crow anyway, I was sure Ryan wouldn't bring it to the floor with an unclear whip count.

Either way, this wasn't the worst thing. That would've been strongarming enough of the loons into going along with something the Senate started to make positive noises about. Top notch political theater regardless, plenty of own goals and exposed fault lines that will make the upcoming tax/budget fight entertaining in addition to horrifying.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 24, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not really worried about it if it passes the house. It won't pass the senate if it does, and honestly, passing the house might be even worse for them than not passing the house because it's so incredibly unpopular. They're hosed on this.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Typo posted:

sorry guys i think the lovely trumpcare bill passes either tmr or next week:
its ok buddy thx 4 letting us no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/845240270472073216

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Is that what they're telling Trump or do they actually believe this?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

I expect that Bannon or Kushner or their cronies believe this and I expect one of those two is the quote here. I don't think Trump is capable of realizing a defeat could be the best thing, he wants a win no matter what that win means.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fulchrum posted:

I'm sure Bannon does, since his goal is more to break the spirit of the GOP and recreate it in his own image.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Right wing media spun into action. Breitbart has been 100% placing this failure of a bill on Ryan's head, conveniently ignoring Trump and Bannon fighting so drat hard to get it passed over the past few days.

I take it that's a sign that it won't pass, with HFC remaining firm and we get a bunch of defectors voting no when it becomes clear that the votes aren't there, but we'll see.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Whoever said that is also absolutely right. If the bill goes into effect and a bunch of people lose their insurance it would all be on Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Phlegmatist posted:

Right wing media spun into action. Breitbart has been 100% placing this failure of a bill on Ryan's head, conveniently ignoring Trump and Bannon fighting so drat hard to get it passed over the past few days.

I take it that's a sign that it won't pass, with HFC remaining firm and we get a bunch of defectors voting no when it becomes clear that the votes aren't there, but we'll see.

Brietbart hates, hates, hates Paul Ryan and they'll take any chance to knife him.

Nobody seems to know what is going to happen. I think you're correct that as soon as it's clear it will fail it will fail by a lot as people who don't want to vote for it defect since they're no longer needed, but nobody (on either side) seems certain where it's going to end up.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

The Phlegmatist posted:

I will never dare to hope when it comes to the shittyness of the american right-wing (which is pretty much all of your politicians, FYI), but if Ryan gets his rear end handed to him over this moronic failiure, I will laugh until I destroy a lung.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

And just like that, the American people got a slight respite because Republicans couldn't agree on how much they should gently caress them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/845265841289678850