Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm still playing 16 and at what point is it too late to get someone for a national team with dual nationality? I'm managing Scotland and Aberdeen and there's a great CB that came through the youth intake at Aberdeen who is Argentine-Scottish, 5 star potential for an Aberdeen team with world class players in it. He's currently playing for the Argentina U20s, no Senior National caps, and he's 17 years old. He's better than Scotland's current CBs, even at 17, and I hope he's not irrevocably lost to Argentina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

I'm still playing 16 and at what point is it too late to get someone for a national team with dual nationality? I'm managing Scotland and Aberdeen and there's a great CB that came through the youth intake at Aberdeen who is Argentine-Scottish, 5 star potential for an Aberdeen team with world class players in it. He's currently playing for the Argentina U20s, no Senior National caps, and he's 17 years old. He's better than Scotland's current CBs, even at 17, and I hope he's not irrevocably lost to Argentina.

They're only gone for good once they get a senior cap, so if you're the Scotland manager try calling him up in your next squad and see if he's willing. If he is, play him for a game, even if you sub him on in the 99th minute, and he's Scottish forever.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

vyelkin posted:

They're only gone for good once they get a senior cap, so if you're the Scotland manager try calling him up in your next squad and see if he's willing. If he is, play him for a game, even if you sub him on in the 99th minute, and he's Scottish forever.

This only works if it's a competitive match. If it's a friendly he'll still be open to be poached. I didn't know this during a Canada national team game and lost Scott Arfield to Scotland after playing him in a bunch of friendlies in the run up to the NA World Cup qualifiers then trying (and failing) to get him back on the team after an injury. Harsh surprise there to lose the best player on the team.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

vyelkin posted:

I keep trying to call him up and it always says he's already called up for another time, so maybe i'm just getting the timing wrong. I'll post a screencap next time I load the game up and compare to current international CBs and you'll see why I can't lose him.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So, this is the wonderfully name Ramón Kerr. At 17 he'd be a better CB choice than either of the national first cloggers we have.

These motherfuckers:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
3 center backs, 3 shoots with power, nice

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hah, I didn't even notice that. Come watch Scotland play and see our centrebacks cannon balls at goal all game long.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

Hah, I didn't even notice that. Come watch Scotland play and see our centrebacks cannon balls at goal all game long.

you can be like France 98 and have your defense do most of the scoring

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Buy this game at 50% off?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Slotducks posted:

Buy this game at 50% off?

Okay

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holy poo poo my 21 year old homegrown striker has 12 goals in 13 games and I'm in 1st place in League Two :stare:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Oh no.

I meant should I buy this game at 50% off?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Slotducks posted:

Oh no.

I meant should I buy this game at 50% off?

Do you want to play it?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Woah I just had a look at the steam reviews.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Coohoolin posted:

Woah I just had a look at the steam reviews.

Apparently it's mostly because Chinese people are salty about the lack of localization.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Drone posted:

Apparently it's mostly because Chinese people are salty about the lack of localization.

Still a lot of negative reviews written about the bugs and the match engine being broken.

Is it worth it or should I just stick with my long save in fm16?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The recent negative reviews looks more like the usual crowd who give a thumbs down over minor complaints about the match engine but still put hundreds of hours into it.

17 is a perfectly fine FM game in my experience. If you like these types of games you will like this one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Coohoolin posted:

Still a lot of negative reviews written about the bugs and the match engine being broken.

Is it worth it or should I just stick with my long save in fm16?

It's a big improvement on 16.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The game is an addictive huge waste of time

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

It's a big improvement on 16.

Why would you say it's a huge improvement?

I'm still doing my fm16 save because this thread seem to be pretty lukewarm about 17

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

Why would you say it's a huge improvement?

I'm still doing my fm16 save because this thread seem to be pretty lukewarm about 17

The match engine has far less dodgy bullshit. 16 was a broken, exploitable mess.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

The match engine has far less dodgy bullshit. 16 was a broken, exploitable mess.

This x 1000, it actually feels a bit like a real game of football rather than playing like a video game full of exploits

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thinking of buying this for 20 euros. What's the best recommended guides and tactics for a baby who just wants to cruise in the main Euro leagues?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

This x 1000, it actually feels a bit like a real game of football rather than playing like a video game full of exploits

agreed, but it's still not as good as 15 to me

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jason Sextro posted:

agreed, but it's still not as good as 15 to me

The best version was whatever one was most recent before they introduced press conferences

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

The best version was whatever one was most recent before they introduced press conferences

my favourite thing about the press conferences is making a perfectly innocuous remark and watching it tank the morale of half my team

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'll happily admit to savescumming before any personal interactions with players because the options are so vague and the outcomes seem to be completely random anyway, I'm not going to have a player hate me and try to force his way out cos I told him his hattrick in the last game was impressive

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'll happily admit to savescumming before any personal interactions with players because the options are so vague and the outcomes seem to be completely random anyway, I'm not going to have a player hate me and try to force his way out cos I told him his hattrick in the last game was impressive

*player scores 5 goals and gets a 9.9 rating*

"You really impressed me in the last match, keep it up!"
"Frankly I'm insulted that you were impressed by my performance last match. I know I can do much better. I don't think I can work with you any more after the way you've treated me."

*player submits transfer request, squad morale tanks because they don't like the way you treated him*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My favorite so far is the player who I bagged with a promise to improve the coaching staff. I did and I have the #1 coaching staff in L2. He wasn't satisfied and whined to a teammate which split the locker room down the middle. He demanded to be let go so I transfer listed him by request. He whined that his asking price was too high so I lowered it, nobody wanted him anyway (he's a really good striker but also an overpaid baby on a 3 year contract).

Next season starts and he's happy again, no longer wanting to be transferred. But the promise is still there that I'll sell him. It got an extension saying he thought I was putting in a good faith effort to sell him. Uh, okay.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a season FM editor exists and it's to deal with interaction BS

...which apparently costs 5 euros in FM 17? What theh ell?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

My favourite interaction is the one player I used to have that complained about squad depth any time I transferred a player out - it didn't matter if we had a first team of ~40, it was always the same. Inevitably he'd get pissy and I'd have to call a player meeting while the first team was on international duty. It never failed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

There's a season FM editor exists and it's to deal with interaction BS

...which apparently costs 5 euros in FM 17? What theh ell?

Blame the people who made an unofficial editor and then had the bright idea to charge for it after a couple of years.

SI could then shut them down and make their own.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Also don't cheat you pathetic scrubs.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
three months into a season and i don't think i've ever seen my gk do a save

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Mans posted:

are you playing Manchester City

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mans posted:

My GK makes lots of saves. It's your tactics goalie mate.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I recently discovered a DB edit on Susie that moves all players from static PA to negative/variable PA (so that 190 PA wonderkid from some clickbait FourFourTwo list will now randomly vary between PA 170 and PA 200, etc.) and as much as I love the change it makes me a little sad that nobody is ever going to rein in (or correct after the fact) the excesses of Certain Researchers (intentionally not named, insert whichever club or country's players you think are systematically overrated here.)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Who was the researcher who kept inserting himself and his mates into lower level clubs or youth teams?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

I recently discovered a DB edit on Susie that moves all players from static PA to negative/variable PA (so that 190 PA wonderkid from some clickbait FourFourTwo list will now randomly vary between PA 170 and PA 200, etc.) and as much as I love the change it makes me a little sad that nobody is ever going to rein in (or correct after the fact) the excesses of Certain Researchers (intentionally not named, insert whichever club or country's players you think are systematically overrated here.)

The Stoke researcher is a shamelessly biased little oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The little poo poo rejected my call-up!