Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

it's cool how the "no, you can't take that container of liquid on the plane, it might be explosives" thing is immediately followed by throwing the "dangerous" item in a trash can next to the security station.

I also think it's cool how they literally have spectrographic machines right there beside the checkpoint that can detect tiny explosive residues left on your hands or clothing, but they can't swab the mouth of your water bottle and test it to see what's inside.

One of my favorite stories from a security expert testing TSA procedures (I want to say it was Bruce Schneier but I can't recall exactly) was the fact that you're allowed to bring >3oz bottles of saline solution in your carryon. Which means, in practical terms, that they let you bring large bottles of any liquid you want as long as it's labeled "Saline Solution". They don't actually check what the liquid is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cirrus advertises the number of USB ports featured in the Vision Jet.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of my favorite stories from a security expert testing TSA procedures (I want to say it was Bruce Schneier but I can't recall exactly) was the fact that you're allowed to bring >3oz bottles of saline solution in your carryon. Which means, in practical terms, that they let you bring large bottles of any liquid you want as long as it's labeled "Saline Solution". They don't actually check what the liquid is.

You can bring two bottles, one for each eye.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 24, 2017

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Haha, yep. It does seem like forging a boarding pass would be harder now that they all use scanners, for what it's worth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they mean 4 cockpit USB power ports it's for electronic flight bags and probably really handy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I still think that thing's going to get a bunch of GA pilots killed. Pilots with more money than experience.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was down at the San Carlos (i.e. Silicon Valley) airport the other day, and I swear there were more Cirruses than there were Cessnas. Like ten of them lined up right outside the restaurant, and people kept pulling more out of hangars.

They look very sleek and sound powerful, though. But I think I'd still prefer a little aluminum taildragger.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No, they test it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I was down at the San Carlos (i.e. Silicon Valley) airport the other day, and I swear there were more Cirruses than there were Cessnas. Like ten of them lined up right outside the restaurant, and people kept pulling more out of hangars.

They look very sleek and sound powerful, though. But I think I'd still prefer a little aluminum taildragger.

If you spend money on a tricycle with fixed gear then you are literally worse than Hitler.

I don't care that the added weight and complexity of RG isn't offset by lower drag at those speeds and FG is actually a better design; FG tricycle is ugly and the only acceptable FG is a tail dragger.

edit: I mean, no, I don't actually own a plane at all and yes those people do. But at least I can say that I don't own a fixed gear tricycle plane and that's something they can't say. So I feel slightly smugly superior on that score even if they do have more money than I'll ever know and can go flying whenever they want.

vvv It might be the ugliest of the RG's (and I'm pretty sure it is), but it's an RG so it gets a pass

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 24, 2017

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
:pwn:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Cirruses are very sweet airplanes if you're a rich prick that I probably don't want to know.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cirrus should start using a V-tail just to complete the circle of doctor death

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

FuturePastNow posted:

Cirrus should start using a V-tail just to complete the circle of doctor death

They're way ahead of you there:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you've not watched the airplanes land lately, here's some interesting birds that have stopped by at the most grim, frostbitten airport the past few months:

A C-17 BUT!!!!!! it's one of the RCAF's

A group of A-10s and their KC-135

A charter outfit is still flying DC-9s and Boeing 727s

Shorty 747 owned by the Saudi Arabian government

An RAF RC-135 'Rivet Joint', which I had to look up to see what it was

A white-van Fokker 100 with a gear door failure

Obligatory Antonov 124

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

They're way ahead of you there:

Apparently those will require a type certificate or something? It's also a bit expensive to be an effective doctor killer at 2mil.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I like Cirrus' first airplane, the VK30

It was a kit and I believe only a half dozen or so ended up flying.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ehnus posted:

I like Cirrus' first airplane, the VK30

It was a kit and I believe only a half dozen or so ended up flying.

Looks like in its last life it could have been a flying boat

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Cirruses are very sweet airplanes if you're a rich prick that I probably don't want to know.

Once they figured out how to train people in them the safety record has been impressive, I'd take one before any piston twin for example. The owner of the place I rent from has talked about buying an earlier SR20 a few times, I understand they're a bit underpowered but it'd still be a nice airplane to tool around in.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sanchez posted:

Once they figured out how to train people in them the safety record has been impressive

What was the change in training?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ola posted:

They added as bullet to one of the powerpoint slides that says DON'T CRASH THE AIRPLANE!!! In Comic Sans

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Finally enough instructors survived to figure out the quirks.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Oh heck yes...you got have my all time favorites in that list, I'm definitely watching those later when I get home. Looking forward to hanging out by the beach and doing the same near KBOS once it warms up a bit since I finally upgraded my phone and can now able to use a tracker app and listen to ATC while snapping and filming. Unfortunately nothing nearly as interesting as what you posted tends to fly in and out of here. Also, looking forward to sleeping with the windows wide open once again and having the early morning parade of red-eye domestic arrivals be my only alarm clock.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Going to watch a Blue Angels practice from the Pensacola lighthouse this summer. gently caress yeah.

From what I've seen on videos of early practices from this season it looks like they've really nerfed a couple of the solo maneuvers though. They're obviously trying really hard to not break their old rear end Hornets. Supposedly they're getting Super Hornets in the next year or so though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you've not watched the airplanes land lately, here's some interesting birds that have stopped by at the most grim, frostbitten airport the past few months:

A C-17 BUT!!!!!! it's one of the RCAF's

Is landing on one set of wheels here intentional, or did the pilot just gently caress up? It seemed like he was perfectly wings-level until the last two seconds, then made a pretty confident-looking roll to the left.

e: also watching the A-10s with the huge fuel tank on the centerline, my first thought was -- because they're A-10s -- "what kind of amazing gigantic bomb is that??" :allears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

“Pull the chute.”

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Disappointing lack of sparks :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

“Pull the chute.”

I think that's what first training said, which was part of the problem. Maybe now it says:

Pull the chute.*

*you might not have time to pull chute if you stall/spin on the base turn. Still, feel free to gently caress off into IMC at any point, just pull the chute.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you stall/spin on base turn you're hosed unless you have an ejection seat or something though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

Is landing on one set of wheels here intentional, or did the pilot just gently caress up? It seemed like he was perfectly wings-level until the last two seconds, then made a pretty confident-looking roll to the left.

Could be crosswind correction. Looked a little firm regardless so it's possible they were just a bit out of whack. Nothing too drastic though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

If you stall/spin on base turn you're hosed unless you have an ejection seat or something though.
better be a loving good one too, because in a GA piston single that's close enough to zero/zero

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ola posted:

They made a change to the training to encourage people to pull the chute in situations where it's useful (and emphasizing the envelope of when the parachute actually works), which cut the number of fatal accidents from 16 in 2011, to only 3 in 2014, despite there being more Cirrus airplanes flying more hours in 2014.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

While actual pilots can comment better, it looks like he had a fair crosswind.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Disappointing lack of sparks :colbert:

:same:

If you feel like watching a half hour BBC documentry from the early 90s (?) on the Avro Shackleton, here you go.

The Avro Shackleton: ugly as a box of frogs

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Not sure if the C-17 is the same, but on the DC-9 family, the spoilers auto-deploy when weight is sensed on both mains. The added drag makes for a pretty sudden lurch, so some pilots intentionally land on one main first, let it slow up, then drop it down onto the other main. Of course, if that guy was trying to do that, he didn't succeed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

... I'll be in my bunk

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

EDIT: I really do like the look of the 177.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Go home, plane, you're drunk. :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

That thing isn't even ugly in an endearing way, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

:same:

If you feel like watching a half hour BBC documentry from the early 90s (?) on the Avro Shackleton, here you go.

But it's so happy!