Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I could just endlessly post examples of my favorite L5R art. :3: They tended to reserve the best for personalities and strongholds, especially iconic personalities. Often, though, the non-unique spuds turned out to be the best at getting across a clan's feel:

You don't need to know a single thing about the game rules, or even the setting, to get a clear impression of what each of the major clans are about.

(Yes, I still count the Spider.)

alansmithee posted:

I don't think the original rules are nearly as bad as you seem to make them out to be, and compared to most card games they're actually pretty good. I do agree that a lot of the setting and clan identity kept the game around a long time though-I can't think of any other card game that survived as long (maybe pokemon? can't remember when that first came out). I also agree the card templating was amazing-first I maybe preferred to the original.

The rules were playable and, for the most part, clear. At least by the time Samurai Edition came out. Hell, at the time I found it clearer than Magic despite having more moving parts. Yet there were several systems interwoven with the fundamental design of the game (dueling, focus values, honor vs dishonor victory conditions, and holy poo poo don't get me started on enlightenment) that were thematically crucial yet agonizing from a design standpoint. The rules functioned, but the design team had a tough task dealing with mechanics that all cards had to pay attention to (lest they break in half) yet only a fraction of decks the game cared about. There's a reason why the design team kept trying to nudge the game towards military vs military.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Stronghold art, too, does a lot to tell the player about who their clan. Where do they live? How do they adapt? What do they come to value? Not a surprising choice from art direction, considering that a stronghold is usually the first thing that a new players sees when they pick up a deck.

Man I want to play this game again.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 17, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The problem for me was never the rules themselves, it was that they could never get internally consistent with their definitions, formatting and text parsing. Cards would come out so poorly worded people had no idea how to use them, the rules team would contradict each other on the official forums not to mention not talk to the design team about what cards were supposed to actually do, and the cards themselves were often a jumbled mess of targets, effects and costs.

The art was drat good though.

5 Copies of Bayushi Kachiko hang above my door, one of these days I should probably track down the other two versions that came out post-Celestial.

It was always great when a character that had good art and was a good card got even better in both areas with an experienced version.

Corbeau posted:

Stronghold art, too, does a lot to tell the player about who their clan. Where do they live? How do they adapt? What do they come to value? Not a surprising choice from art direction, considering that a stronghold is usually the first thing that a new players sees when they pick up a deck.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/1989285/L5R-Strongholds

There were a few standout strongholds back in the day, I mostly liked the Scorpion when I started playing, but Dragon were among the first to get Strongholds that I really took notice of and was wowed by.

I also loved seeing people with 3D strongholds. What they would do is get multiple copies of the card and cut out chunks of them to make layers that they'd stack on top of one another to give the card depth. You can see an example in this ebay link.

They also have the stronghold printed onto stone but those never looked quite as good but were definitely neat swag.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PaybackJack posted:

The problem for me was never the rules themselves, it was that they could never get internally consistent with their definitions, formatting and text parsing. Cards would come out so poorly worded people had no idea how to use them, the rules team would contradict each other on the official forums not to mention not talk to the design team about what cards were supposed to actually do, and the cards themselves were often a jumbled mess of targets, effects and costs.

They seem to largely be doing OK with this with AGoT2.0 now.

However, X-Wing is still a clusterfuck. They really need to develop a common lexicon AND STICK TO IT

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ConfusedUs posted:

They seem to largely be doing OK with this with AGoT2.0 now.

However, X-Wing is still a clusterfuck. They really need to develop a common lexicon AND STICK TO IT

I was talking about AEG, but you're totally right. Ten years ago FFG was the butt of every rules joke because of how poorly their rulebooks were written. They've since really gotten their poo poo together. Though my friends that still play Netrunner said the rules there fell of a cliff a year or so ago and the game became a bit of a nightmare figuring out timing windows and triggers.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Though wow, if the early promo/box art is correct, we're going back to 7 major clans. No surprise that Spider is gone, but it looks like Mantis get the cut too. Brutal, albeit kinda understandable if they felt that cutting down on the number of clans was necessary. Can't imagine losing any of the remaining 7, even if you could justify binning Scorpion (temporarily) if you rebooted way back to the Imperial era.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, they said they had some cards ready to show, but decided that one character was too much of a spoiler? More infos coming on the 19th April though.

More Art dump: The Seven Thunders from Seige: Clan War were awesome.

EDIT: If any of you are based in the UK, Patriot Games in Sheffield is doing one last Kotei before the FFG game comes out, Modern format.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PaybackJack posted:

I was talking about AEG, but you're totally right. Ten years ago FFG was the butt of every rules joke because of how poorly their rulebooks were written. They've since really gotten their poo poo together. Though my friends that still play Netrunner said the rules there fell of a cliff a year or so ago and the game became a bit of a nightmare figuring out timing windows and triggers.

Netrunner's rules haven't become that much more complicated, I think the big issue was that the meta was dominated for a while by a deck that abused a weird facet of the timing rules

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Apparently FFG's Polish subsidiary was storing design files in a publicly accessible way and the whole next Deluxe Expansion for Arkham Horror got out, dunno if the pdfs are still floating around anywhere but if you're sensitive to spoilers be careful.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm super not surprised, Galakta are giant amateur hour.

[edit] I hope it won't be spoiler to say, there'll be a new investigator. As in, not recycled from previous games.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ok, some of this upcoming stuff is really weird.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Can someone post a link to the full leak? The guy on the reddit thread is doling it out piecemeal like an rear end in a top hat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does any online shop have the first two packs in stock?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bottom Liner posted:

Does any online shop have the first two packs in stock?

Do you mean the POD packs or the first expansions? Miskatonic is still out of stock everywhere I've looked (US based) but I just ordered Essex from Team Covenant and it was still in stock.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm super not surprised, Galakta are giant amateur hour.

[edit] I hope it won't be spoiler to say, there'll be a new investigator. As in, not recycled from previous games.

I didn't see one. They all look like people who were in Arkham Horror the board game. Also, assuming it's correct, it still looks like the bonus investigator that came with the book isn't released yet. I'm wishing more and more I would've just picked that up :(.

And some of the new player cards look really, really good. Which makes me fear(hope?) the scenarios may be super-hard.

And in L5R rumors, there's a big mechanic in it that may turn people off bigtime. There's also photos of the cards floating around and the art is kinda different. Very pastel, but I think I like it.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 23, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

And in L5R rumors, there's a big mechanic in it that may turn people off bigtime. There's also photos of the cards floating around and the art is kinda different. Very pastel, but I think I like it.

Now you need to provide a link.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have a source for Warhammer Conquest "Jungles of Nectavus," "Slash & Burn," and "Unforgiven?"

Would love to finish my collection but they're kind of scraped from the internet.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

alansmithee posted:

And in L5R rumors, there's a big mechanic in it that may turn people off bigtime.

What's that? Pod deckbuilding, perhaps? That'd certainly get me to pass on it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alansmithee posted:

Dish, girl

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Corbeau posted:

What's that? Pod deckbuilding, perhaps? That'd certainly get me to pass on it.

I love the Star Wars pod design and would love to see it in another game.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

And the award for Most Frustratingly Ambiguous Post of the Day goes to...

Really though, I'm intensely curious.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bottom Liner posted:

I love the Star Wars pod design and would love to see it in another game.

I really really wish I had gotten my friends interest in SW LCG. I think they would have loved the pod system. I certainly enjoyed it for my limited exposure.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

alansmithee posted:

I didn't see one. They all look like people who were in Arkham Horror the board game. Also, assuming it's correct, it still looks like the bonus investigator that came with the book isn't released yet. I'm wishing more and more I would've just picked that up :(.

And some of the new player cards look really, really good. Which makes me fear(hope?) the scenarios may be super-hard.

The Painter Sefina Rousseau Has never appeared in an Arkham Files game before as far as I can tell.

I'm really enjoying Dunwich Legacy so far, but I seem to be the only one at my LGS who has any interest in it, and we don't really have interest in other LCGs either competitive or coop.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alansmithee posted:

:justpost:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pyronic posted:

The Painter Sefina Rousseau Has never appeared in an Arkham Files game before as far as I can tell.

I'm really enjoying Dunwich Legacy so far, but I seem to be the only one at my LGS who has any interest in it, and we don't really have interest in other LCGs either competitive or coop.

Hmm I didn't see that one. Guess there's more leaks out.

And I know I was vague before but I'm getting info secondhand. The cards I saw were on someone's phone. As for the mechanic apparently all characters have fading essentially.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can someone post a link to the full leak? The guy on the reddit thread is doling it out piecemeal like an rear end in a top hat

I managed to get a hold of the PDFs, so you can ask me if there's any card you're interested in seeing. Here are the player cards: https://imgur.com/a/G7DPa

There's also new investigators and new basic weaknesses (along with encounter/scenario cards ofc).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

And the new campaign mechanic will be encounter cards that go into your hand as weaknesses of sorts that you can't/shouldn't reveal to others.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is anyone by any chance looking to offload some LoTR LCG cards? I've been looking especially for a lot of the earlier sets but I'm getting a bit impatient waiting for them to be reprinted...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

As for the mechanic apparently all characters have fading essentially.

Fading for anyone unfamiliar is a M:TG term that has a card enter play with X counters on it, each turn 1 is removed, when the last one is removed the unit leaves play.

That could certainly be pretty polarizing. I'm not sure how well the mechanic of someone entering and leaving play a few turns later fits the theme.

I guess I'll hold my breath while I wait for more information. What you're talking about hasn't shown up on any of the boards I'm looking at (Discord, L5R FB, Reddit). If it's posted on one of the clan forums, let me know.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Fading for anyone unfamiliar is a M:TG term that has a card enter play with X counters on it, each turn 1 is removed, when the last one is removed the unit leaves play.

That could certainly be pretty polarizing. I'm not sure how well the mechanic of someone entering and leaving play a few turns later fits the theme.

I guess I'll hold my breath while I wait for more information. What you're talking about hasn't shown up on any of the boards I'm looking at (Discord, L5R FB, Reddit). If it's posted on one of the clan forums, let me know.

Only way I can see this fitting at all is having the game rounds be themed as chunks of years and having your active personalities age and be replaced by the next generation as time goes.

I can't really see them doing this so as it'd make for tiny windows of opportunity you'd need to hit as you'd have a constantly degrading board state.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

There must be some gimmick behind it and I predict some reimagined Honor/Dishonor shenanigans.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well, it would help the issue of having two gigantic armies staring at each other late-game waiting for the other to blink.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So were any sources named or are we all just being coy for reasons?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MeinPanzer posted:

Is anyone by any chance looking to offload some LoTR LCG cards? I've been looking especially for a lot of the earlier sets but I'm getting a bit impatient waiting for them to be reprinted...

Are you in the US or Europe? I got 2 core sets and everything released up to The Druadan Forest or Encounter at Amon Din (don't remember which of the 2 was last) including all The Hobbit and POD stuff (Osgiliath and Lake Town) which was released at that time, but no nightmare packs. Shipping to the US would be a pain though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Orange Devil posted:

Are you in the US or Europe? I got 2 core sets and everything released up to The Druadan Forest or Encounter at Amon Din (don't remember which of the 2 was last) including all The Hobbit and POD stuff (Osgiliath and Lake Town) which was released at that time, but no nightmare packs. Shipping to the US would be a pain though.

I'm currently living in Greece, so that shouldn't be a problem. My email is rubenpostca at gmail if you want to discuss this further.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/29/the-red-wedding/

Night's Watch remains unaffected by your Lords and Ladies-cide.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Release valve for when your opponents fast eddie is gobbling up power.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm currently living in Greece, so that shouldn't be a problem. My email is rubenpostca at gmail if you want to discuss this further.

Sent you an email a few days ago if you're still interested.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a LOTR collection from Mirkwood onward (US). If anyone has one or knows of someone that would sell theirs, lemme know!

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Full Watchers on the Wall spoilers:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards/_/watchers-on-the-wall/

Ghost is a reusable Bodyguard!