Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

it'd be interesting to see an original that fits into the 'not really mechanical' mold. like a giant golem or something, or just a big sentient alien. it'd be a change of pace, anyway.

I feel like Dis Astranagaunt kinda fits that mold.

The Chinese Machines also are a bit. I mean they're robots but they're animate sentient robot animals who meld with psychics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

it'd be interesting to see an original that fits into the 'not really mechanical' mold. like a giant golem or something, or just a big sentient alien. it'd be a change of pace, anyway.
So, basically something like this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

So, basically something like this?
no, not like that at all.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Ace Combat, Metal Wolf Chaos and Liberation Maiden in one game, fused worlds Z or V style. The Dominion (a facist group which could pretty much sprout from a Trump or Armstrong America) is loving poo poo up in other countries, including America's ally, Japan, so president Michael Wilson goes to their aid, while the treacherous Richard Hawk has teamed up with the Dominion to destroy freedom forever. As the world is poised on the brink of even greater disaster from Belka going full Hitler, it is clear that more allies are needed. Sadly berifit of resources as President in exile, and with the fledgling government of president Shoko Ozora not having much money to spare, they can only afford a single mercenary team, the Sapish pair that composes the mysterious Galm team. Fight heroes, fight for your people and your own justice!

Metal Wolf is land based and relatively slow, but is armed to the teeth with weapons, being your basic super. Kamui has a nutso barrier and crazy range on its attacks, though they are weak, and somehow the purification gimmick comes into play. Cypher has many, many planes to choose from, so you can change to suit the mission at hand, and also kinda godly stats.

On a completely different track, to get the V DLC I just need a Singapore PSN account and matching PSN cards, right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ashsaber posted:

Ace Combat, Metal Wolf Chaos and Liberation Maiden in one game, fused worlds Z or V style. The Dominion (a facist group which could pretty much sprout from a Trump or Armstrong America) is loving poo poo up in other countries, including America's ally, Japan, so president Michael Wilson goes to their aid, while the treacherous Richard Hawk has teamed up with the Dominion to destroy freedom forever. As the world is poised on the brink of even greater disaster from Belka going full Hitler, it is clear that more allies are needed. Sadly berifit of resources as President in exile, and with the fledgling government of president Shoko Ozora not having much money to spare, they can only afford a single mercenary team, the Sapish pair that composes the mysterious Galm team. Fight heroes, fight for your people and your own justice!

Metal Wolf is land based and relatively slow, but is armed to the teeth with weapons, being your basic super. Kamui has a nutso barrier and crazy range on its attacks, though they are weak, and somehow the purification gimmick comes into play. Cypher has many, many planes to choose from, so you can change to suit the mission at hand, and also kinda godly stats.

On a completely different track, to get the V DLC I just need a Singapore PSN account and matching PSN cards, right?

Yup and it's in English so it's really easy to do

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Dis Astranagaunt kinda fits that mold.

The Chinese Machines also are a bit. I mean they're robots but they're animate sentient robot animals who meld with psychics.

The basic RyuOhKi/KoOhKi forms are kind of organic but once you get to the point where they are actual robots (RyuKoOh/RyuJinKi) they're closer to robots with really fancily molded armor.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ashsaber posted:

Ace Combat, Metal Wolf Chaos and Liberation Maiden in one game, fused worlds Z or V style.
For the sequel, suddenly ,Japan suddenly declares War on the US and a squad of fighter jets on Sand Island is thrust into this mystery.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
How much native currency do I need to buy all the DLC?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bacon flaps posted:

How much native currency do I need to buy all the DLC?

Its a little over 40 Singapore Dollars.

You can get 50 for 34.99 USD at Playasia right now.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Zore posted:

Its a little over 40 Singapore Dollars.

You can get 50 for 34.99 USD at Playasia right now.

Guess what I just did.

Honestly, it's worth it regardless of cheese/making game even easier/whatever because I want to support these English releases.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Look just bring back rahxephon in a big budget console game with glorious animations and I'll be happy forever.

Oh and someone mentioned having Xeno- in it, and I'd kill for Xenogears AND -saga to be in a game. If you don't want to bring the ESes just have KOS-MOS get the Haken treatment and she gets a giant robot to pilot that just so happens to look like her because ~coincidence~. It's not like the Valsione doesn't exist after all.

Of course I don't know how they'd treat Gears for real vs super. They're not exactly super mobile but I wouldn't call them tanky either. Maybe regular gears can be reals and Omnigears can be supers? Of course that'd play hell with pilot stats but :shrug:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh God, I just beat stage 4 of V, and I think Okita missed a memo somewhere. enemies having 75% chance to hit means they should be hitting like three times out of four, not missing 4 in 5.

I am glad that enemy numbers are going up more quickly than they did in MD. I had everyone pretty much at around 150 will by the end there, which was enough that SeabookKincade was able to start pulling his weight, after a rather poor start. Does he ever get a better unit, or do I want to dump the MP91 at the first possible chance?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
He inherits the X-1 when Tobia upgrades, but that doesn't happen until mission 38, space route.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Look just bring back rahxephon in a big budget console game with glorious animations and I'll be happy forever.

Oh and someone mentioned having Xeno- in it, and I'd kill for Xenogears AND -saga to be in a game. If you don't want to bring the ESes just have KOS-MOS get the Haken treatment and she gets a giant robot to pilot that just so happens to look like her because ~coincidence~. It's not like the Valsione doesn't exist after all.

Of course I don't know how they'd treat Gears for real vs super. They're not exactly super mobile but I wouldn't call them tanky either. Maybe regular gears can be reals and Omnigears can be supers? Of course that'd play hell with pilot stats but :shrug:

I think the gears would be slightly tanky reals in general, like the Gespensts and esepically the Alteisen. Weltall would probably be a melee Huckebein, Seibzehn closer to a Grungust.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

I am glad that enemy numbers are going up more quickly than they did in MD. I had everyone pretty much at around 150 will by the end there, which was enough that SeabookKincade was able to start pulling his weight, after a rather poor start. Does he ever get a better unit, or do I want to dump the MP91 at the first possible chance?

I'm on stage 51 and Kincade is my number 3 ace, having been in the F91 all game. Admittedly, I put a lot of money into it and gave it good parts because it's one of my favourites, but my point is that the MP F91's not a top-tier unit but can be good if you want to use it, especially since Kincade's ace bonus makes him able to Second Attack basically everything and most of the best UC units have pilot-locked finishers.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I'm on stage 51 and Kincade is my number 3 ace, having been in the F91 all game. Admittedly, I put a lot of money into it and gave it good parts because it's one of my favourites, but my point is that the MP F91's not a top-tier unit but can be good if you want to use it, especially since Kincade's ace bonus makes him able to Second Attack basically everything and most of the best UC units have pilot-locked finishers.

You could do that.

Or you could just give him the X1 immediately.

Or you could give him the Xi like I did because :unsmigghh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

You could do that.

Or you could just give him the X1 immediately.

Or you could give him the Xi like I did because :unsmigghh:

He is real good in pretty much anything but he's a natural in the Xi. I didn't do that til late game because on a first playthrough, I like to keep pilots in their respective units for secrets. Next playthrough though!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I put him in the Banshee once I got that and it worked out pretty well.

Mostly because he somehow ended up as my number 2 ace and I felt bad for him.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I upgraded Amuro too much and now he just wrecks everything so I have to avoid having him get kills because otherwise I won't see another Ace this playthrough. He's passed Hilda to get into 3rd Ace, but Rosalie still has a few kills on him. I have Ruri will probably be my next ace, and then Bright, Hathaway and Roux are close. I put Elle in the Delta Plus and she feels more useful now. I like the Mk II but it never clicked with me in Z3 and same goes for it here. I will screw around with UC pilot swapping second playthrough.

When you go to NG+, how do you get refunded for the stat boosts you get during the game (like SKL up or RNG up or like when you get dash or attacker)? Those cost me zero TacP so do they refund into TacP or you only get actually spent TacP refunded?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, now that I have access to the Z-crystalFactory, is there any particular recommendations for what to use at each level? I know that the last level will definitely be going for 10 will to start, but before that? I'm thinking +2 will a turn for all, and probably crit up for level 3, but level 2? The TAC bonus one?

And then I guess I'm probably going to want to open up all those skill programs before getting any parts. Hit and Away on Battleships is important after all.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ashsaber posted:

So, now that I have access to the Z-crystalFactory, is there any particular recommendations for what to use at each level? I know that the last level will definitely be going for 10 will to start, but before that? I'm thinking +2 will a turn for all, and probably crit up for level 3, but level 2? The TAC bonus one?

And then I guess I'm probably going to want to open up all those skill programs before getting any parts. Hit and Away on Battleships is important after all.

Get the TAC Bonus one ASAP, absolutely. It'll pay for itself REALLY quick and then you'll be swimming in points.

Consider all that costs TAC - strong parts, stats, terrain ratings, pilot skills (including broken ones like SP Regen, Attacker), and the later Factory bonuses - and it's in your best interest to start raking it all in. Another reason also to always deploy Maito and go for his Ace bonus.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ashsaber posted:

For the first level I like the one that gives you 10% of your units' health and energy back each turn, especially since it stacks with any energy restoring abilities any units might already have(so a unit that gets 10% of their energy back each turn would now get 20% back)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I went with-
1- HP/SP Regen
2- Bonus TAC Points
3- +10 Focus Limit at 3 ExC
4- +10 Focus on deployment

The +10 on deployment is amazing. There's nothing quite like throwing out the Nadeisco's Gravity canon on turn 1. I got allt he DLC, and was able to max them out, and buy one of every skill on the tree to unlock them, and I just finished stage 18.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I seriously don't know how y'all are playing such that +10 on Turn 1 matters that much. You're not going to be in range to use the good stuff before 2, range of the bosses before 3.

I never find myself lacking Will. Everybody has automatic SP Regen, and everybody who needs it either has Drive or Spirit. You can just cast the poo poo and you're done. Cast Drive on turn 1 while you're out of heavy counterhit range as you move up the field. Unless you need to hit the first grunt who hits your front lines with Shin Shine Spark, 140 Will (130 if they're not an Ace) is more than enough to coast through miniboss HP or whatever it is you need instant max Will for.

Meanwhile, there's no replacement for being able to cast Boost Drive on turn 1. All your Accel users get +5 movement, which puts them inside enemy lines far enough that you can hit minibosses instantly, meaning you're getting more damage done regardless. On top of that, all your units whose Psychoframe/Lambda Driver/Biosensor/SEED/NT-D/IFS/Innovator/Meikyou Shisui modes haven't activated might actually get hit if you let them, which boosts their Will and activates Potential. Nobody in your army will ever really be at risk of death because you can Foresee any obviously lethal hit on a unit that doesn't have an extra life. Oh, right, if you kamikaze your double-life reals into the enemy lines on turn 1, those pilots not only get a ton of Will, but they get a free ammo reload once their ablative bits explode and it counts as an Ally getting shot down so everybody in your army gains Will. The Super Mode barely matters while the Unicorn still has the boosters on, anyway, so why not get the most out of the first form?

This also gives your battleships the ability to cast Restore Action earlier and more often, which is absurd once you throw the ExC multiplier onto any of your 3 battleships that fall closer to the "murder" side of the spectrum than the "support" side. Ruri's gonna fire the Phase Transition Cannon every mission even if she starts with 80 Will. An extra Restore Action is an extra Final Breast Nova on the boss before turn 3 for the SR point.

There isn't a wrong way to play this game, but I think you folks aren't experimenting enough.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I only picked the +10 because it says "attacking" so I thought it meant every time you attack which would mean I can avoid spending SP on Drive or Spirit before I found out it was a mistranslation. :eng99:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I seriously don't know how y'all are playing such that +10 on Turn 1 matters that much. You're not going to be in range to use the good stuff before 2, range of the bosses before 3.

I have no idea how you're not getting in range in one turn without that, especially with the massive overabundance of movement-boosting skills and items available. The EX bonus is basically worthless while +10 will means everyone is basically spamming their best stuff from the getgo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I went with the Crit boost and the +1 TAC to make it easier to destroy everything with infinite crits.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The second late Earth route with all the Mazinger is the first time I've considered throwing an SR point.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hunter Noventa posted:

I went with-
1- HP/SP Regen
2- Bonus TAC Points
3- +10 Focus Limit at 3 ExC
4- +10 Focus on deployment

The +10 on deployment is amazing. There's nothing quite like throwing out the Nadeisco's Gravity canon on turn 1. I got allt he DLC, and was able to max them out, and buy one of every skill on the tree to unlock them, and I just finished stage 18.

I did this but with crit at Rank 3 because 100% crit chance as an option with the thing being a straight up 1.40 multiplier for blowing up bosses that stacks with Valor/Soul was too good to pass up

I finished my first run just now! Its good! I agree with Caphi that it is just real nice and sweet, especially compared to the overwrought Z3. I liked it! Yamato did like 500k damage in a single turn on the final stage just map attacking everything over and over with resupplies keeping them topped up. Ended up highest level at 76 but still 1 bop behind Ryoma.

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea how you're not getting in range in one turn without that, especially with the massive overabundance of movement-boosting skills and items available. The EX bonus is basically worthless while +10 will means everyone is basically spamming their best stuff from the getgo.

Yeah you can get into range very easily without the EX bonus, which also only gives you the +2 movement on dudes that are Great Aced, so before that point you have a lot of people with 1 Ex point so by the time they have 2 they're already in the thick of it and don't need the boost anymore (but are 1 step closer to multi action). Or you could have them with +10 focus which puts them a single rouse cast of their super modes for the people that have them. I'm not sure "if you have 10 less focus your supermodes won't be active so you'll get hit and get more focus" is a good argument when you could just have more focus and its not as if characters stop gaining focus for those said same actions. Different strokes for different folks, but +10 Focus is the easiest and least complicated while also being really powerful (probably the most powerful, definitely the most boring) and is certainly the most powerful at early stages when you won't have anyone Great Aced for the boost so if you're going to be not getting to enemies till turn 2 you might as well meet them at turn 2 10% stronger instead of +1 EX point.

Caphi posted:

The second late Earth route with all the Mazinger is the first time I've considered throwing an SR point.

That one was close for me too, I think that was the only one where I absolutely needed to the full allowance.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Because I'm on stage 13 and the Brave Express crew has grown on me very quickly I feel like I'm going to do the Japan route. I know the second requirement for the secret scenario is that Maito solos the ace guy on 17, but I can't remember the requirement on 15, anyone remember? The google doc is horribly, horribly vague.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Unless they changed it in V, Morale bonuses hasn't been a straight multiplier since Alpha Gaiden. It works by adding to your attack stat (or defense stat), which means roughly 0.4% increase per point of Morale, a bit less as your attack stat approaches the extremes.

So looking at nothing else except its effect on boosting your damage from the start, +10 starting Morale is really more like a 4% increase rather than 10%.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not the only one just packing everyone onto ships on turn 1, advancing with Accel, and then redeploying on turn 2, right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I only bother with that on the strictest of skill point checks in some SRWs. Think the last time I did was Z. Otherwise it's far too much menu work for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think I've ever done that, usually I don't have enough trouble getting people to a place in time and ironically the few missions I can think of where it's an issue are ones where the carrier isn't available because they tend to gimmick harder because of that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Caphi posted:

I'm not the only one just packing everyone onto ships on turn 1, advancing with Accel, and then redeploying on turn 2, right?

I had to do that with one skill point in V, I think. It was an early mission before a lot of the cool poo poo opened up and the time limit seemed really strict.

After a while though you're swimming in movement parts/bonuses so it feels super unnecessary.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Assuming I'm not actively trying to ace as many pilots as possible, I prefer to make one of my favorite pilots a god, load them up with movement and range parts, and throw them into the center of a big group of enemies and have them counter them to death.

Of course that only really works for dodgy reals, the damage tends to add up for supers. And of course a boss can gently caress up that strategy nicely so :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

Because I'm on stage 13 and the Brave Express crew has grown on me very quickly I feel like I'm going to do the Japan route. I know the second requirement for the secret scenario is that Maito solos the ace guy on 17, but I can't remember the requirement on 15, anyone remember? The google doc is horribly, horribly vague.
might gaine finishes off all the bosses from his series in stage 15, i think

also i think the gaine crew needs 60 kills between them

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Assuming I'm not actively trying to ace as many pilots as possible, I prefer to make one of my favorite pilots a god, load them up with movement and range parts, and throw them into the center of a big group of enemies and have them counter them to death.

Of course that only really works for dodgy reals, the damage tends to add up for supers. And of course a boss can gently caress up that strategy nicely so :v:

That strat works really well with the Mazinger pilots if you give them a couple extra levels of Prevail. Short of a boss, nothing will do more than 10 damage after a certain point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a "how to SRW" guide somewhere? I dusted off my GBA to play SRW OG to learn these games, and I've gotten to level 17 where if anyone on my side dies it's game over. All my robots can be two shotted by just about any enemy, and it takes at least three attacks to kill even the weakest enemy. I think I'm underleveled, or upgraded incorrectly, or am not using Spirits right since my people run out of energy after one or two uses. All the FAQs I find say it's a great easy level to make mad bank on, but they're much better than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

might gaine finishes off all the bosses from his series in stage 15, i think

also i think the gaine crew needs 60 kills between them

It's just the 60 kills iirc

• Locked thread