Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

I am sorry to inform you that ol Jonny W did not write "Love Gun" by KISS, "Bite It You Scum" by GG Allin, "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew, or "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue.

However, that call was insanely loving goooooood

Haha ya I put that together after Girls, Girls, Girls (and when they explicitly say they were 80s covers). I guess I can be forgiven for thinking Love Gun was too absurd to not be a comedy song. And the more I listened, the more obvious it was him dicking around in logic over the weekend with one singer with a chorus effect. Was posting while listening, which was silly. But that doesn't detract from it at all, it was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was hooting and hollering the whole drat time. I just finished the call with Kurt B, still lots of episode to go. Even Avalanche Bob wasn't too bad

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Oooh my are you in for a treat.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Someone called in and pointed out that tom sounds like the guy who sang "all the small things" on kidz bop. I thought the dude was gonna be off the mark but even tom admitted it's spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrSISR8o2E

Seriously it sounds like some sort of best show parody. It's amazing

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Someone called in and pointed out that tom sounds like the guy who sang "all the small things" on kidz bop. I thought the dude was gonna be off the mark but even tom admitted it's spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrSISR8o2E

Seriously it sounds like some sort of best show parody. It's amazing

lol someone posted this before and I actually thought it was him

"my little ring ding"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

holy gently caress I just cried laughing at that

"she left me ROSES by the STAIRS"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Wow Tom was right. In the John Wick universe there really are more assassins than regular people in New York.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tom has been posting youtube links on twitter for the last half hour, to songs about karma and revenge so he seems to be in a good spot.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Tom has been posting youtube links on twitter for the last half hour, to songs about karma and revenge so he seems to be in a good spot.
Either Tom is in a good spot or (more likely) HBO's Divorce is in a bad one

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i gotta be honest, I love tom, but a loving show about divorce starring sarah jessica parker sounds like my idea of hell

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Hayes also wrote for the show, so it's probably pretty good.

I'm also never going to watch it.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i gotta be honest, I love tom, but a loving show about divorce starring sarah jessica parker sounds like my idea of hell

It was a pretty funny black/cringe comedy with Thomas Haden Church acting almost as ridiculous as a Newbridge character.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It was a pretty funny black/cringe comedy with Thomas Haden Church acting almost as ridiculous as a Newbridge character.

When he said "toity" in one episode, I felt Tom's presence in the room.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I was a huge fan of monk when it was on (by which i mean they showed it at dinner time here in the UK so I'd always watch it) and I didn't discover the best show till well after monk was over. But looking back like the amount of tom stuff in there is hilarious. The main one I remember is monk always says "sex prostitute" or "sex pervert". But there's a lot of other little tics in there that monk has that tom has when he talks.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"The kids will acclimate to the gore!"

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Great start to this week's Wurster call:

I heard you used to work in television. Is that right, Tom?
*Drops wallet*

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
another banner call from cat from raleigh this week. i'm ashamed to be living in raleigh. i'll eat my hat if this person didn't find the show from steven universe.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Thom and the Heads posted:

another banner call from cat from raleigh this week. i'm ashamed to be living in raleigh. i'll eat my hat if this person didn't find the show from steven universe.

I find her kind of adorably guileless. Her calls are loving terrible but I don't find her as irritating as someone ultra kool like Roxy from SF.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
"Every topic in the history of the show" wasn't a great topic. Most topics that require callers to bring their A-Game end up flaming out before any momentum can be built up. I did like the dude that burned through a couple rapid fire suggestions and then got hung up on for mentioned MDE.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Cat is such a nothing problem when compared to Matt from Alkaline Trio.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i kind of like matt. he's a good sport and found baby tom doing calisthenics in a music video so he gets a pass from me

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

i kind of like matt. he's a good sport and found baby tom doing calisthenics in a music video so he gets a pass from me

agreed.

Cat for sure has autism right?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Idk he seems to be trying really hard to be cool and self-deprecating to make up for the fact that dude has been in pretty unhip bands for the last 20 years. Like when he mentions a band it seems so forced, like he's been thinking about it all week. Comes off like a tryhard. I understand obsessing about Tom and wanting him to be my friend, tho.

But you know, my hating really could be tied to me trying to overcompensate and reject the SoCal pop punk kid I was at the turn of the millennium.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've been listening to this show for ages, admittedly not always all the way through, but I'm seriously blanking on "matt from alkaline trio" calls. Does he call a lot? Is it a recent thing?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Matt from Oakland, who's now in Blink 182 (but is totally terrified of actually saying he's in the band, for some reason). But because I'm a hipster and San Diegan, I think Matt from Alkaline Trio is a bigger insult.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Matt from Oakland, who's now in Blink 182 (but is totally terrified of actually saying he's in the band, for some reason). But because I'm a hipster and San Diegan, I think Matt from Alkaline Trio is a bigger insult.

When he first called he said they were a terrible band, so no wonder he is terrified of saying it.

Agreed he seems way too hard to recover lost credibility. Like, he name dropped The Residents and Jandek in his first call, and all he had to say about then was "they're pretty good".

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Maybe the Half Hour of Power could work as the "every topic in the history of the show" follow-up show. I imagine it being like the director's commentary for the Best Show where Tom can respond to questions out of character.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

What is this from?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GoutPatrol posted:

What is this from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrxoi0UwfdU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thanks, and what a 90s video.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I like Matt calls because you can tell how much he hates being in Blink 182 and it's almost like he's trying to get fired

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know some good examples of Tom going off about Tom Waits? I'm looking for more, I only see this one on YouTube so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxqQBLnEkk

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Snowy posted:

Anyone know some good examples of Tom going off about Tom Waits? I'm looking for more, I only see this one on YouTube so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxqQBLnEkk

They definitely do in the first "Marc & Tom Show" he did with Marc Maron if you can find it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Binowru posted:

They definitely do in the first "Marc & Tom Show" he did with Marc Maron if you can find it.

That's what I was going to say too

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

The new HHOP has Dan Kerstetter, who's one of the heads of programming at Seeso. I wonder if something's in the works.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I hate Blink 182 Matt for botching our one chance to get Coffin Talk back

e: on the other hand OJ Talk and Mike's taser story from the HHoP were great

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 27, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
One of my favorite parts of the Coffin Talk segment was Dave from Knoxville earnestly asking Tom an unrelated question and nearly derailing the bit. I think Dave's question was about the WFMU marathon that year.

My favorite Tom impressions are the lower energy ones like the Coffin Talk guy or AP Mike. I'd like to see a show hosted by "AP Mike," but it would probably be a bit mean-spirited if Tom did that impression for the entire three hours.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SolamenteDoug posted:

The new HHOP has Dan Kerstetter, who's one of the heads of programming at Seeso. I wonder if something's in the works.

Hahaha, that was driving me crazy figuring out who that was, thanks for that.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

SolamenteDoug posted:

A squashing of the PFT beef?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm still kind of hoping they're doing a long Kaufman-esque bit. PFT calls in to the show randomly one day, and they both act like nothing happened.

If Tom wants consistent writing jobs, he probably does need to mend that relationship. PFT is highly esteemed (for good reason) in the scene where Tom's writing voice seems to fit very well. I'm not sure if there is any one move that would be better for Tom's future than to settle whatever issue they had back in the day.