Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tadashi posted:

What's the smallest school to make the Final Four in recent history? Xavier's undergraduate enrollment is listed at just over 2k students.

That's certainly not true. There were about 3-4,000 my freshman year, and that was almost 15 years ago. It has certainly grown since then.

edit: Wikipedia and Xavier's website lists just over 4,500 undergrads.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mahoning posted:

That's certainly not true. There were about 3-4,000 my freshman year, and that was almost 15 years ago. It has certainly grown since then.

He probably meant the graduate enrollment, not undergrad.

http://www.xavier.edu/institutional-research/institutional-research/documents/1Fall2016_CensusStatBook_09142016.pdf

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

gvibes posted:

Patrick Ewing.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/845268128418418689

Well then

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Henchman of Santa posted:

And he just decided to go back to Winthrop half an hour before his introductory press conference.
Conspiracy theory: Mack->IU, Winthrop guy->Xavier

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

gvibes posted:

Conspiracy theory: Mack->IU, Winthrop guy->Xavier

This is a good conspiracy theory. I don't think Mack is leaving, but if he did it would probably only be for one of like 4 schools: Indiana, Ohio State, Kentucky, or Louisville

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mahoning posted:

This is a good conspiracy theory. I don't think Mack is leaving, but if he did it would probably only be for one of like 4 schools: Indiana, Ohio State, Kentucky, or Louisville

Yeah Mack has a good thing going at Xavier. Unless it's Indiana, I can't see him leaving. However, that would probably mean sucking for a year or two while he rebuilds the program a bit. He may not want to do that.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Oklahoma State just hired Mike Boynton. Gamecocks stay winning.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/thempj1/status/845382296555311104

Being disappointed by how Martin fails to capitalize on an elite prospect will be such a significant step forward for Mizzou basketball

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I don't even know what to say. After three years of not giving a poo poo about Mizzou basketball, this is a strange feeling.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/thempj1/status/845382296555311104

Being disappointed by how Martin fails to capitalize on an elite prospect will be such a significant step forward for Mizzou basketball

Fok yisssss

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

VERY EXCITE

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Has Missouri ever had the top recruit in the nation?

The only guys I can think of that might have been that high are from like the 80s, and I don't know if they even had recruiting rankings back then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, the local papers in Washington are taking the news well.

quote:

Michael Porter Jr. on Wednesday was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year, a formal honor that barely describes his obvious status as the greatest talent ever to grace a basketball floor.

That's the first line and it gets worse from there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've spent the evening reading about Michael Porter Jr and being excited about college basketball for the first time in about 5 years while two lovely blowouts and one closish were going on, and then right when I get done that UF/Wisconsin OT happens.

Today was a good college basketball day for me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/845497332900626432

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/845499395739136001

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Also: Sean Miller about the Arizona job in 2009.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well that settles that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Has Missouri ever had the top recruit in the nation?

The only guys I can think of that might have been that high are from like the 80s, and I don't know if they even had recruiting rankings back then.
KAREEM RUSH

e: RSCI #34, 1999. That's as close as I recall.

e2: How could I forget Linas Kleiza. Quin Snyder was a pretty good recruiter.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 25, 2017

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wasn't able to see the South Carolina game, but congrats RumbleFish!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Also: Sean Miller about the Arizona job in 2009.

http://www.scout.com/college/indiana/forums/5134-premium-iu-hoop/15480965-steve-alford-note

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gvibes posted:

KAREEM RUSH

Was he that high? I know he was a big get but I was thinking like, Stipanovich or maybe Derrick Chevious were the likeliest guys.

e: Haha, I'd forgotten about Linas Kleiza too

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Was he that high? I know he was a big get but I was thinking like, Stipanovich or maybe Derrick Chevious were the likeliest guys.
No, not at all. But I don't know anything in college basketball that happened before maybe 2002.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

:getin:

I'd literally be happy with any of the other realistic candidates. This a load off my shoulders.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hello Towel posted:

:getin:

I'd literally be happy with any of the other realistic candidates. This a load off my shoulders.

Alford not being coach with a side dish of Dakich being full of poo poo, delicious!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Good loving job Florida. When's the last time we hit a good old fashioned buzzer beater?

Now all we gotta do is beat the cocks off!!!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
So happy Lavar Ball can gently caress off for the rest of the tournament. UNC UK should be really good.

Also SEC not looking to shabby these days. What the hell

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Did he come packaged with Jontay?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I really hope we beat the real USC, but at the same time we overachieved big time this year and I'm pretty happy about where the program is at right now.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

That's almost word for word what Alford said before he left New Mexico.

I'll believe it when Indiana hires someone else.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I still can't believe we won

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ehud posted:

I still can't believe we won

Wasn't our last buzzer beater when Mike Miller or someone hit one against Butler like 12 years ago?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Miller hit our last buzzer beater in the tournament. It was 17 years ago though..

Chandler Parsons had a couple of them in the regular season a few years ago, including a 70 footer against NC State.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
It was in the year 2000

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Zack posted:

It was in the year 2000

Jesus gently caress. When I think the year 2000 I think "oh so about a decade ago?"

Goddamn where did the time go.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Coincidentally that's also the last year that a Big Ten team won the tournament.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I think I'm more upset that Hayes, Koenig, Showalter and Brown won't play for Wisconsin again more than that shot went in.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Khagan posted:

Did he come packaged with Jontay?

Not officially but you'd have to imagine Mizzou are the strong frontrunners for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

That's almost word for word what Alford said before he left New Mexico.

I'll believe it when Indiana hires someone else.

But if there's one thing we know about Alford, it's that he is a man of great integrity, surely he would never lie!

He might actually stay, but, seriously, how does anyone still take this sort of thing seriously? It's what basically every coach says right before they leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Not officially but you'd have to imagine Mizzou are the strong frontrunners for him.

I'd assume the package means Jontay would change up years to play with his brother. And yeah that's not official either but if he was even thinking about it I'd think it was on the table.

• Locked thread