Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if after the NDA was lifted, you were able to go into a bit more depth about some of the playtesting changes.

On an unrelated note, I played Marco Polo again last night. It's a game I like well enough but has a little bit of a "been there, done that" feel to it since the mid-heavy euro design has been pretty popular lately. Reminds me a little of Terra Mystica with a dash of Bora Bora. There are some similarities to Terra Mystica in the way the board and character selection can be surveyed at the beginning and a rough plan can be designed. I tend to favor these over more purely tactical euro games.

Anyways, what had me thinking about the game afterward this time was playing as Rashid (the guy who let's you select your dice pips instead of rolling). This basically removes one of the core mechanics of the game; instead of rolling dice and then trying to figure out the puzzle of how to optimize your results, you just play a slightly different game than everyone else, that of basic worker placement. Turns out that's not as fun for me and the character makes it completely transparent! I like trying to make the best of the hand dealt to me, and I thought playing as Rashid removed a whole layer of texture from the game.

We also played with the promo extra character expansion and one of the features it introduces are random rewards for various things like completing contracts. One player scored a random +1 move from a contract and that felt like a pretty powerful windfall. I'm curious what the designer's intent was in adding these, since it seemed out of place with the rest of the design. I don't mind randomness at all (and the game already features many little random features), but here it's addition felt a little awkward. Maybe if it were limited to one particular character, so you could accommodate players of different skill or something (sort of like how Rashid can go to whoever hates dice).

In weighing the value of different routes/city bonuses/contracts, the value of the random tiles are an unknown to complicate your decision. The +1 move is strong, one of the strongest. But by choosing that contract, you are passing on other potentially strong ones, for an unknown reward, which you may need to adjust your strategy around to utilize, adding interesting decisions. At least, that's one possible explanation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Re: BGG, it pays to check their files section for whatever new board game purchase you've made. typically there's a player aid, or errata, or a rules sheet that makes getting people onboard 100% easier.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Friend of mine was looking at The Networks. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Friend of mine was looking at The Networks. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Played a 2P game a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it, good choices to make, good variability. The 2P way to burn cards every few turns could be...clearer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Impermanent posted:

Re: BGG, it pays to check their files section for whatever new board game purchase you've made. typically there's a player aid, or errata, or a rules sheet that makes getting people onboard 100% easier.

Yeah there are a lot of really great files on there. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the Sushi Go! Party insert to print correctly so I can stick it in my tin. Although I may sleeve the cards so it may be all for naught. :shrug:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Days ago at this point but whatever:

Xaris posted:

Pan is pretty loving annoying, we've usually just set it out of the deck but not that it's totally unstoppable, some ones can neutralize Pan kind of effectively but ehh, it's just not that fun since it's just an alternative victory condition. The Time Keeper one where if 5 domes are used you win is also kind of bad if you're both good at just stalling and forcing doming. Best way to play tho is just have your pair of selected gods, then trade off the next round so you both get a feel for them and that specific match up.

In general though, gods are amazingly well balanced and don't distort it that much, imo the game is kind of saved by the addition of God cards to keep it fresh and more replayable. Without them it's a little stale.
I'm not a fan of alternate victory conditions in general but Pan is also kinda annoying because you essentially have to man-mark his workers immediately.
But yeah, it's not a balance issue, at least not one that I've identified so far. I just feel like I might ultimately prefer the hero cards and I hope they make an expansion with more heroes.

Also, my preferred method of god selection would probably be: every player is dealt three cards, gets to ban one of their opponent's, and secretly picks one of the remaining two.

Alternatively you shuffle the deck, give each player half of it, and then you just go through the cards top to bottom.

e: I'm also wondering how the game would play with two heroes per player (that can't be used in the same turn).

Lunsku posted:

Maybe it just tells about me, but as far as some general forum questions seen on other forums go, I don't even find that one that weird. Boardgaming is a nerdy hobby, at least at the stage where you're participating on BGG forums, and research is a nerdy line of work.
It's weird because it's the equivalent of asking somebody how big their dick is.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 23, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

They're up towards the top of the new scenarios...

:cheeky:

:frogdowns:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if after the NDA was lifted, you were able to go into a bit more depth about some of the playtesting changes.

On an unrelated note, I played Marco Polo again last night. It's a game I like well enough but has a little bit of a "been there, done that" feel to it since the mid-heavy euro design has been pretty popular lately. Reminds me a little of Terra Mystica with a dash of Bora Bora. There are some similarities to Terra Mystica in the way the board and character selection can be surveyed at the beginning and a rough plan can be designed. I tend to favor these over more purely tactical euro games.

Anyways, what had me thinking about the game afterward this time was playing as Rashid (the guy who let's you select your dice pips instead of rolling). This basically removes one of the core mechanics of the game; instead of rolling dice and then trying to figure out the puzzle of how to optimize your results, you just play a slightly different game than everyone else, that of basic worker placement. Turns out that's not as fun for me and the character makes it completely transparent! I like trying to make the best of the hand dealt to me, and I thought playing as Rashid removed a whole layer of texture from the game.

We also played with the promo extra character expansion and one of the features it introduces are random rewards for various things like completing contracts. One player scored a random +1 move from a contract and that felt like a pretty powerful windfall. I'm curious what the designer's intent was in adding these, since it seemed out of place with the rest of the design. I don't mind randomness at all (and the game already features many little random features), but here it's addition felt a little awkward. Maybe if it were limited to one particular character, so you could accommodate players of different skill or something (sort of like how Rashid can go to whoever hates dice).

On the contrary, Rashid's specialty is harassing the other players. Since you never have to worry about your dice you can clog up the action spaces everyone else desperately needs. It's especially mean when someone needs just one resource to complete a contract and the Rashid player chuckles softly as he places a 6 on the Khan's favor. Rashid also wants to gobble up all the black dice and he can afford it since camels come easily for him.

The characters are surprisingly optimized. I thought Kublai had the worst power, just starting in Beijing, put it's a free 10 points and gives him almost immediate access to the three-spot city in the south. One time I set up a combo with just that city that ensured I never had to waste dice on the market as all my resource generation was right there.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not making any commentary on relative power of the characters. Just the experience of executing turns relative to the other characters who have to manage the unpredictability of their dice each round.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not making any commentary on relative power of the characters. Just the experience of executing turns relative to the other characters who have to manage the unpredictability of their dice each round.

I do find it strange he's recommended as a beginner character despite breaking the core rule of the game. In the hands of an experienced player he is the most annoying fucker to play against.

"You guys could really use some contracts right now. Well don't mind me, just grabbing the 5 and 6 contract with the bonus attached hey don't forget to pay your taxes folks."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Heh, yeah, his relative douchebaggery is high, too.

"I can't reach, can you put umm my dice right there on the Khan track .. yeah, you're gonna need to make that a 6, mmkay. Yeah, that's right. Thaaaaaanks, mondo appreciated."

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

http://www.ventonuovo.net/games/bloody-monday

New Battle of Borodino game coming from Vento Nuovo. The same designer did Waterloo 200, which is an extremely good euro/wargame hybrid along the lines of Napoleon's Triumph - hidden units, diceless combat, lots of emphasis on maneuver and terrain. Simmons is also supposed to be working on a Borodino game so this should be a banner year for Napoleonic bloodbath fans.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gilgameshback posted:

New Battle of Borodino game coming from Vento Nuovo. The same designer did Waterloo 200, which is an extremely good euro/wargame hybrid along the lines of Napoleon's Triumph - hidden units, diceless combat, lots of emphasis on maneuver and terrain. Simmons is also supposed to be working on a Borodino game so this should be a banner year for Napoleonic bloodbath fans.

Really? I thought it was Eylau.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Really? I thought it was Eylau.

Oh right, the Simmons one is Eylau.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gilgameshback posted:

It's up on Kickstarter

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cross post from the wargames thread

Lord Frisk posted:

I played Polis: Fight for the Hegemony for the first time last night. Super impressed by this. Relatively small footprint, gorgeous looking game.

I played as Athens and my buddy as Sparta. We were a little intimidated at first, because it looks like a lot to manage, but all the moving pieces fit together seamlessly. Economy, politics, foreign market manipulation, great projects and war all seem to flow into each other without making it seem like different systems at disparate odds. Honestly, once it got rolling, we were both surprised at how simple the game was. Two actions per turn (out of 12 possible actions) kept me on the edge of my seat, as grand, board changing actions must be done incrementally.

The events were really cool and game-defining as well, even though they are single static effects for the round. The game opened with an earthquake in Sparta. Then the Persian king was assassinated, as was his successor, offering our Hoplites a silly amount of prestige to fight in the succession wars. Finally, there was a lunar eclipse that caused great superstition in our generals.

We were constantly agonizing over feeding our populace, which is essentially the core of the game. Sparta ended up controlling Sicily while I made the most work of foreign trade markets. Neither of us failed to feed our populations, but it was close for a while there. We forced a bunch of hoplites on the board to keep the Polis populations manageable. Eventually I ran out of cubes to increase my population, which kind of screwed me on the Megalopolis bonus. (I should have been besieging and battling more to keep them in my supply).

We made a few mistakes, one regarding battles our first time (waited till the end of the round, not end of turn) and the other was not spending extra resources once your opponent has passed. We also didn't blockade foreign markets enough, and generally played pretty "hands off". I think that will change next time though.

All in all this is an excellent game with a crazy amount of depth. It has a small amount of randomness (d4 for besieging Polis, battle cards for resolution) but it's all very manageable. Every decision is tied to other choices and makes the whole situation dynamic. I really recommend this as a hybrid euro consim.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Lord Frisk posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I have it, but haven't played it yet. Did you just use the rulebook, or did you watch videos or use other guides?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I read the book and watched the "Avoid the Rules" video, which includes pretty much every edge case available. It's actually pretty straight forward once it starts moving.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lord Frisk posted:

Had never heard of this until now but now I want it. Badly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's on boardgamearena.com

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Food chain magnate $99 plus 15% off:
https://timewellspentgames.com/collections/top-10/products/food-chain-magnate

SpringBreak17

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Corrupted Kingdoms is available at CSI. Has anybody played it? I really dig the theme and art, but I'm pretty skeptical about the gameplay.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Corrupted Kingdoms is available at CSI. Has anybody played it? I really dig the theme and art, but I'm pretty skeptical about the gameplay.

BGG rating is 6.0, which means it's poo poo.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

oof terra mystica, quantum, and the networks for $115 shipped...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

We played Quantum once, but March of the Ants quickly supplanted the "quick 4x" role. What a great game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GrandpaPants posted:

We played Quantum once, but March of the Ants quickly supplanted the "quick 4x" role. What a great game.

March of the Ants is such a quick and tight little 4X... Needs more love.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

March of the Ants is such a quick and tight little 4X... Needs more love.

It feels rare. I asked if anyone could bring it to a con last year and got 0 bites. I could try to buy it second hand and hope that I like it, but that feels risky.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

It feels rare. I asked if anyone could bring it to a con last year and got 0 bites. I could try to buy it second hand and hope that I like it, but that feels risky.

It was just reprinted along with a new expansion and will be shipping in April.

http://weirdcitygames.com/wordpress/shop/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Ah cool thanks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
so glad to hear the game gettings its praises sung - ordered the whole thing, expansion and original game, through that KS back when it was funding based off of people praising it here. glad to see the shine isn't off the apple.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Our 4-player online FCM game is really sick. Everyone seems to be playing well and I have no idea who is going to win :D

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

angel opportunity posted:

Our 4-player online FCM game is really sick. Everyone seems to be playing well and I have no idea who is going to win :D

Yooo next time you set one of these up I want in! Still pondering whether or not I should buy it, and this would probably help me decide.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooo next time you set one of these up I want in! Still pondering whether or not I should buy it, and this would probably help me decide.

The main problem with the online implementation is that the game was never designed for asynchronous play. This is the quickest pace online one I've been in, and STILL we are lucky if we have two "real" turns per day. Everyone has to separately 1) choose if they fire anyone, 2) set up company structure, 3) choose turn order, and 4) finally take the actual turn. In real life these little extra steps happen in a few seconds, but online you have to wait a long time for someone to see that it's their turn to click "no, I'm not firing anyone," for instance.

After this one ends I'll probably start another though, or maybe you can get three other people to play now?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Took the plunge and bought 1846. I've always been curious about 18xx's but the formal GMT release of it pushed me over the edge.

Now time to find out if my friends are as excited about trains and stock manipulation as I am.

On a correlated note, I just had a job interview at a company a block from the best board game store in town. If I get it, God help my impulse control.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The main problem with the online implementation is that the game was never designed for asynchronous play. This is the quickest pace online one I've been in, and STILL we are lucky if we have two "real" turns per day. Everyone has to separately 1) choose if they fire anyone, 2) set up company structure, 3) choose turn order, and 4) finally take the actual turn. In real life these little extra steps happen in a few seconds, but online you have to wait a long time for someone to see that it's their turn to click "no, I'm not firing anyone," for instance.

After this one ends I'll probably start another though, or maybe you can get three other people to play now?

The funny thing is, I think the game _is_ almost designed for async play. It's a lot easier to see what's going to happen at dinnertime and to plan out your moves when you aren't keeping people waiting in a more active sense. The turn order choice is a bit annoying in multiplayer though - it'd be nice for it to be somehow chooseable at the same time as the restructuring. Maybe when confirming your structure you could click "first" "last" or "prompt for turn order"?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

attackmole posted:

Took the plunge and bought 1846. I've always been curious about 18xx's but the formal GMT release of it pushed me over the edge.

Now time to find out if my friends are as excited about trains and stock manipulation as I am.

On a correlated note, I just had a job interview at a company a block from the best board game store in town. If I get it, God help my impulse control.

If you're interested, someone linked a semi-official 2p variant by the designer earlier: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616729/draft-2-player-1846-rules-game-designer

I will give it a shot when learning it so that I don't fumble my way too badly in a 3 or 4 player one.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just got Concordia Salsa, I'm dying here 🤣

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am in completely over my head on this one. it'll be good.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
FCM online is great but careful cause having e.g. three Americans and one Brit means even if you're all desk people with internet access you're still only getting one turn a day at best :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

CaptainRightful posted:

gently caress yes, I've always wanted March of the Ants but it's been out of reach until now.