Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Trump should spitefully demand that Congress vote on this. Force those congressman to put down on the record whether they support this toxic waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am not ashamed to say that I will be completely coating both the inside and outside of my residence in cum the moment the vote fails.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is there any chance the vote still passes? I have a personal stake in ACA remaining around and want to know when its okay to breathe and celebrate, and still remember various low-chance comebacks in both sports and politics over the last year

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is there any chance the vote still passes? I have a personal stake in ACA remaining around and want to know when its okay to breathe and celebrate, and still remember various low-chance comebacks in both sports and politics over the last year

Anything could happen. But this Spicer press conference makes it very, very clear Spicer at least believes failure is near-certain.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Trump should spitefully demand that Congress vote on this. Force those congressman to put down on the record whether they support this toxic waste.

I imagine Bannon will have a nice chat with Trump and goad him into forcing the vote so that he knows who his enemies are.

But actually Bannon just wants to twist the knife in Paul Ryan around a couple of times.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Ryan's groveling for a stay of execution from Trump. Spicey is essentially saying "Trump did his best." It's dead.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So a question I hadn't really considered. Assuming the bill fails, that's bad for Republicans. But this bill is a stupendously lovely bill and a lot of people will vote for it but don't want to, and are likely to defect once they know it's going to fail. What does a massive loss in the House (even if it doesn't really reflect how close it was) do to the Republican Party on this? All of the news is going to be about how they lost by like 50 votes, which is going to be a story in itself.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol Ryan already starting the "not my fault!!!" as well

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/845333016541102084

this news day is so great i keep running into the no 2 posts in 10 seconds rule

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

So a question I hadn't really considered. Assuming the bill fails, that's bad for Republicans. But this bill is a stupendously lovely bill and a lot of people will vote for it but don't want to, and are likely to defect once they know it's going to fail. What does a massive loss in the House (even if it doesn't really reflect how close it was) do to the Republican Party on this? All of the news is going to be about how they lost by like 50 votes, which is going to be a story in itself.

The possible margin of failure is is why I was thinking Ryan himself might want it pulled. The plan was blame the HFC if it failed. If there's a whole lot of non-Freedom Caucus defections, they can't do that effectively. The news will be about Trump and Ryan and how big the defeat was, not the Freedom Caucus.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

I am not ashamed to say that I will be completely coating both the inside and outside of my residence in cum the moment the vote fails.

If there is one thing to come out of the creation of this bill, it is a Renaissance of art.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

That's never going to happen. You should probably start doing some research on how to get care and meds without insurance.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if you are banking on ACA to survive over the next few years i STRONGLY recommend you look into buying some crystals. take your health into your own hands

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Peven Stan posted:

I haven't been this sexually aroused by us politics since Romney lost

If this persists for more than 4 hours, go to a doctor, because it will still be covered when the bill fails

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hold the vote you slippery bastards ha ha ha

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/845340869121228801
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/845341143416147970

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I am rock hard.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/845341543057805312

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
It will be hilarious if Trump's poo poo list is half the Republicans in the House.

I can't believe what an own goal they're shaping up to have scored, here. The infighting and paranoia might actually get worse.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm really digging the floor speeches by the Democrats right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpdQ7OGgOGY

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
Hang it around their neck like an albatross

I hope this bill is what gives us back the house in 2018

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Unnnnngggghhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa don't stop don't ever stop

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Once again the Frankenstein's Monster of the GOP, the Tea Party, rises up from its electrified bed and immediately strangles its creator while calling them "a loving RINO"

"Step aside and let me get in on this action" says Trumpenstein in the background, impatiently tapping his foot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Once again the Frankenstein's Monster of the GOP, the Tea Party, rises up from its electrified bed and immediately strangles its creator while calling them "a loving RINO"

"Step aside and let me get in on this action" says Trumpenstein in the background, impatiently tapping his foot.

Honestly at this point I think it's more moderate defections sinking this than the HFC. Lots of Republicans relied on never having to explain their votes to their constituents because they wouldn't matter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/845343635633831936

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I knew the Republicans were evil, but God they are so dumb too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No, I think they're still trying to convince poor people that the piss that is trickling down is somehow good

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Azhais posted:

No, I think they're still trying to convince poor people that the piss that is trickling down is somehow good

That's the point Gingrich is making though. That they needed to convince people that this trash fire was good before holding a vote. They just scheduled the vote without making sure they could get every Republican on board, much less the public.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Honestly at this point I think it's more moderate defections sinking this than the HFC. Lots of Republicans relied on never having to explain their votes to their constituents because they wouldn't matter.

Without the HFC I feel like it would have never gotten to this point though. They might have been able to squeak it by without so much drama and people noticing what is actually in the bill. Well at least through the House anyways.

Listening to the GOP legislators talk about this on the floor- eternal question- stupid or evil? Both??

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

obamacare is a jellyfish sting and piss is the only cure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Without the HFC I feel like it would have never gotten to this point though. They might have been able to squeak it by without so much drama and people noticing what is actually in the bill. Well at least through the House anyways.

Listening to the GOP legislators talk about this on the floor- eternal question- stupid or evil? Both??

The HFC did force it to the right so that it lost the moderates, yeah - but the moderates killed the original "repeal, replace later" plan which set the stage for this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Has anyone seen actual confirmation the vote is going forward? I have only seen a complete absence of announcements it is not going forward, but no confirmation it is.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be pretty annoyed if they balk and don't hold the vote after all this, but considering Trump demanded they do so, it's just twisting the knife further and making them look weaker and weaker if they don't do it. They really have no good options at all.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

The HFC did force it to the right so that it lost the moderates, yeah - but the moderates killed the original "repeal, replace later" plan which set the stage for this.

True- I wonder if they ever had that much of a chance of threading this piece of poo poo through the outhouse seathole. Anything less than full repeal won't satisfy the HFC and anything cruel enough for the HFC to consider will lose moderates if their constituents are paying attention.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
Does anyone even know what will be in the plan they vote on today?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

evilweasel posted:

Has anyone seen actual confirmation the vote is going forward? I have only seen a complete absence of announcements it is not going forward, but no confirmation it is.

Spicer himself said 3:30.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

So in 25 minutes, or in an hour and 25 minutes? I'm poo poo at time zones.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

empty whippet box posted:

So in 25 minutes, or in an hour and 25 minutes? I'm poo poo at time zones.

D.C. is EST, so 25 minutes.

(It won't happen)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

True- I wonder if they ever had that much of a chance of threading this piece of poo poo through the outhouse seathole. Anything less than full repeal won't satisfy the HFC and anything cruel enough for the HFC to consider will lose moderates if their constituents are paying attention.

Possibly. Remember PPACA took like 15 months of backroom dealing and committee meetings, consultation with experts, etc to get everyone on the same page. This was just kind of shat out randomly without any preparation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

He says a lot but it's not his call. I mean from House leadership.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Looks like Grayson was right in more ways than one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Elotana posted:

Looks like Grayson was right in more ways than one

Niiiiiice.