Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Why beat a kid when you can do something simple like take away their amazon fire and then hug them after they calm down and explain why their behavior wasn't correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

Still, though, gently caress people who thought it was okay.

Taking a stick to beat a child in the 21st century is officially some backwards bullshit.

Sure, but I can't fault people for being raised to believe some backwards bullshit. Can't change what they learned, only educate them now, you know? I never had to cut a switch for my dad, but he was more than familiar with the phrase, and joked about it from time to time.

Cartoon Man posted:

I was spanked as a child and looking back on it, I could tell my dad showed restraint. But it is completely unnecessary in today's society and I will never do it to my kids ever. There are plenty of other effective disciplinary methods, you don't need to hurt your kids just cause it was done to you as a child.

Yeah the situations where it's an effective form of punishment seem few and far between to me, and it establishes the bad precedent that your authority only extends as far as your ability to inflict meaningful harm/pain on your kid. At which point if they outgrow you or your ability to hit them diminishes, now you have no authority over them, because you taught them the only reason to behave was because they'd have to face physical consequences if they didn't.

I remember I got into a fight in middle school with this kid and my dad came home that day and rather than punish me, he started telling me that the kid's parents were suing him*, and went into how he planned to deal with that and what the financial consequences would be, and what we'd have to give up as a result. That poo poo had me in tears and was way more effective than any spanking.

*this didn't actually happen (though I did hurt the kid's shoulder), but he told a very convincing sequence of events that could have happened, and convinced me that there were real consequences to my actions

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I stopped getting whipped when I stopped reacting to the pain.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chilichimp posted:

Why beat a kid when you can do something simple like take away their amazon fire and then hug them after they calm down and explain why their behavior wasn't correct?

This is like when on reddit someone posts a Life Pro Tip thats like "tell your children why their behavior is wrong, take the time to educate your kids about their behaviour" and the every actual parent is like "haha, sure".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

This is like when on reddit someone posts a Life Pro Tip thats like "tell your children why their behavior is wrong, take the time to educate your kids about their behaviour" and the every actual parent is like "haha, sure".

That's what I do. :shrug: I mean, I get mad sometimes too. For real, what's their alternative, just beat your kid because #aintnobodygottimeforthat?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 21, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Being an uncle owns

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

That's what I do. :shrug: I mean, I get mad sometimes too. For real, what's their alternative, just beat your kid because #aintnobodygottimeforthat?

Campaign to make whatever it is your kid is doing illegal as well as banning everything that you don't want your kid to see, obviously.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Campaign to make whatever it is your kid is doing illegal as well as banning everything that you don't want your kid to see, obviously.

Impose economic sanctions until they terminate their nuclear weapons program, imo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

I stopped getting whipped when I stopped reacting to the pain.

Yeah that's kind of my point?

It seems like you think I'm in favor of beating kids

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah that's kind of my point?

It seems like you think I'm in favor of beating kids

I was agreeing with your point, but in retrospect, I can see how I left that somewhat ambiguous.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

I was agreeing with your point, but in retrospect, I can see how I left that somewhat ambiguous.

fair enough. Unrelated note: Now that most of my hosting issues are resolved, I'll be doing more avatars next week when the missus is back in town and I'm no on solo parent duty. Iirc yours is one of the next 2 or 3

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

fair enough. Unrelated note: Now that most of my hosting issues are resolved, I'll be doing more avatars next week when the missus is back in town and I'm no on solo parent duty. Iirc yours is one of the next 2 or 3

:thurman:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chilichimp posted:

My man. Taking away screen time is the perfect punishment tool now. So easy and effective. It's like taking away an addict's crack. They'll do anything to get it back.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

JPrime posted:

yea the bible loves kids!

A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother.

:gonk:

BTW, the rod mentioned is a Shepard's Crook, long thin staff with a curled end, so the point of the verse is not physically beating the child but guiding & sometimes correcting them.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Darth Brooks posted:

BTW, the rod mentioned is a Shepard's Crook, long thin staff with a curled end, so the point of the verse is not physically beating the child but guiding & sometimes correcting them.

Pffft. Next thing you'll be telling us women shouldn't be separated from society during their periods.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Pffft. Next thing you'll be telling us women shouldn't be separated from society during their periods.

As long as we stone to death every white kid that went to spring break in Cancun, I'm happy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

As long as we stone to death every white kid that went to spring break in Cancun, I'm happy.

fuckin' lol

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chichevache posted:

:agreed:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

*Shepherd's

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wrex

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

the New Covenant supersedes the old one :angel:

according to current xtian practice/tradition, anyway

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 21, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think I was threatened with a spanking more than I was actually given one, at least that I can remember. I was never really a bad kid though. I think getting a couple of spankings that, looking back, weren't very harsh, was enough that a threat of one would keep me in line.

I do remember my mother telling me that when she grew up her parents would make her go outside and pick a switch off the tree. Then remember hearing the other side of it from my grandparents that they never actually spanked her, and they would watch from inside and laugh as my mom stood there debating on which stick to bring inside.

That said I'm going to build a boxing ring in my back yard when I have a kid and whenever he gets in trouble we'll bareknuckle box. When he beats me, he gets to make the rules.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Enjoy those 6 years.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

Enjoy those 6 years.

You joke, but that's when their jab is balls-level.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Enjoy those 6 years.

I could beat up like 5 6 year olds. Maybe 6.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I could beat up like 5 6 year olds. Maybe 6.

See, this thought experiment always leads to imagining what it would be like to be overwhelmed by 6 year olds or duck size horses or whatever, and that always seems like it would end as a horror movie.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok but what about duck sized 5 year olds

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the logical solution is to force your kid to be a browns fan.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shirts and skins posted:

See, this thought experiment always leads to imagining what it would be like to be overwhelmed by 6 year olds or duck size horses or whatever, and that always seems like it would end as a horror movie.
What about an endless wave of infants, slowly cuddling you to death? :ohdear:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BlindSite posted:

I think the logical solution is to force your kid to be a browns fan.

I turned out normal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/roberto-aguayo-gets-some-training/

lmao

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

I turned out normal.

He said... while the only picture I associate with his person is Jason as a browns fan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon Man posted:

I was spanked as a child and looking back on it, I could tell my dad showed restraint. But it is completely unnecessary in today's society and I will never do it to my kids ever. There are plenty of other effective disciplinary methods, you don't need to hurt your kids just cause it was done to you as a child.

It's more necessary in today's society than any past ones, so I don't know why you bothered to make that distinction. Kids today are little bastards.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

It's more necessary in today's society than any past ones, so I don't know why you bothered to make that distinction. Kids today are little bastards.

Yes. Today.

Certainly not when I was a boy. During my youth we all respected our elders, carried our days water ration in 2 pots up a giant hill, and in the evening... we studied the blade.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I suppose I could subject my child to the 2005-2009 49ers whenever they choose to misbehave. That'll set them straight

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Just don't do what Mike Singletary did or you might get a visit from CPS.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TheHoosier posted:

I suppose I could subject my child to the 2005-2009 49ers whenever they choose to misbehave. That'll set them straight

Your hypothetical child will still be living through the new playoff drought until they have a child.

Because Jed York will live forever because God hates us all

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Spoeank posted:

Your hypothetical child will still be living through the new playoff drought until they have a child.

Because Jed York will live forever because God hates us all

just have to find his phylactery and we'll be free.

i'm sure it's a box of soylent bars or something

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't Jed fairly young?

Sorry, Niner fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

whiteyfats posted: