Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GotM can mean "top game that actually come out this month" or "top game I played this month". Maybe GotY should follow the same rules so that Europa Universalis 4 can win all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GOTM is Zelda for me, though from the little I've played of Horizon that's real great as well. I'm getting KH 1.5/2.5 next week and maybe Toukiden 2 even though Persona 5 comes out in a week.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another dumb Mario RPG question: Mario Peach & Bowser is the best endgame party right?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
GoTM is hard for me. BOTW is great, but so is Nier.

I conclude it's a drat tie.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Another dumb Mario RPG question: Mario Peach & Bowser is the best endgame party right?

It's not that hard of a game, friend

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GobiasIndustries posted:

I do believe that was the case, though I don't remember the specifics as to why. I remember I usually gave Peach the Lazy Shell armor to make her unkillable.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Peach can heal the whole party or something. Don't know what Browser brings except that he's Bowser.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's what my strategy guide said when I was a kid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nier is better. your sword still breaks but its just in a cutscene and you can still kill with it after

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I really wish BOTW lets link fight with fisitcuffs.

Like let me punch Ganon in the face drat it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

One week of March left with seemingly no notable releases left, so what's GotM?

NieR: Automata

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

GotM can mean "top game that actually come out this month" or "top game I played this month". Maybe GotY should follow the same rules so that Europa Universalis 4 can win all the time

EU4 doesnt make the cut on months where a expansion patch is on the horizon because I find it hard to get invested. April is gonna be tight though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Nier: Automata was a great great gameplay experience, but what pushes it over the edge is it gave me the same feeling I get when I've just read a great scifi novel.

It's rare to get that from a video game. For me, at least. I thought that Horizon Zero Dawn had a really great story and I really enjoyed it, but it didn't give me that same feeling. The feeling that I've mentally ingested a large number of ideas and themes that are gonna be kicking around in my head for awhile.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

:yeah: I'm digging it so much even tho I'm playing the broken rear end pc port

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish one of those map games would be released on a console or handheld so I could try them

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

It's not that hard of a game, friend

Yeah it's pretty easy, I just remember Geno and Malo being pretty forgettable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

BotW is probably the easy win for March's GotM.

Yeah, I haven't played Nier yet but I doubt it's going to have the same thrill for me as Breath of the Wild. Granted, this is an extremely high bar to clear, and Nier: Automata is probably pretty incredible.

Frankly, if Breath of the Wild doesn't basically sweep Game of the Year awards for 2017 I'm going to be pretty surprised, if only because I can't imagine something even more impressive coming out this year. I could see Horizon or Nier: Automata taking some, too, and I'm sure something else really good is going to come out this year.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Depends on how much you want Peach's healing. I liked Mario, Bowser, and Geno once I got good at blocking damage enough that I didn't need Peach wearing the Lazy Shell and spamming Group Hug. Mario, Bowser, and Geno as a trio do a ton of damage and are also cool dudes (especially Bowser).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

GobiasIndustries posted:

In terms of resource rationing, yes, because bowser has a ton of HP and doesn't have to use FP to do a lot of damage. With peach in the party with the right equips you will be nigh unkillable. In terms of raw damage output, Mario/Geno/Bowser is probably tops

But seriously, any party is viable, it's not a very hard game. I'd say the most gimped team would probably be Mario/Geno/Peach because your damage output won't be too high unless you're burning through FP

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I basically loved every minute of Horizon Zero Dawn and am glad it ended up being more than just competent because I feel like it was a game made specifically for me. I'm not that far into Nier but it's not gripping me in the same way quite yet, I think I'll pick it back up after the new Diablo season. I'm sure Zelda is great too but probably not gonna play it realistically speaking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's been an absurdly strong year for games. BotW is probably the most impressive in terms of just sheer scope and design but it isn't lacking in challenge for fun and quality. I feel like every month so far has had a strong contender for GotY or at least strongly memorable.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy, I just remember Geno and Malo being pretty forgettable

Hehe, that's a fun turn of phrase

Have you tried the optional boss guy yet? I remember cheesing him with items

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm just amazed that I've definitively played 2 of my top 10 games of 2017 in just this one month. Zelda and Nier both blew me away.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Hehe, that's a fun turn of phrase

Have you tried the optional boss guy yet? I remember cheesing him with items

Oh man it's been a while since I tried him. I'm playing the game for the first time since it launched.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I looked up upcoming 2017 releases, and am annoyed to learn that the Final Fantasy XII remaster is PS4-only

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
BotW and Nier 2 ending up splitting the vote and Overwatch snuck in from behind and stole GotM for me, better luck next month new games

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I badly want to play Zelda but buying a system that only has one game out that I'm interested in is a bit much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I looked up upcoming 2017 releases, and am annoyed to learn that the Final Fantasy XII remaster is PS4-only

I hope they bring it to PC eventually. They did that with the FFX/X-2 remasters so it's probably coming at some point. Maybe not soon, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish one of those map games would be released on a console or handheld so I could try them

They would be impossible to port probably. I can't even imagine how would adapt map games to a controller. I suppose a pure touch screen would work alright.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

I basically loved every minute of Horizon Zero Dawn and am glad it ended up being more than just competent because I feel like it was a game made specifically for me. I'm not that far into Nier but it's not gripping me in the same way quite yet, I think I'll pick it back up after the new Diablo season. I'm sure Zelda is great too but probably not gonna play it realistically speaking.

I think it's unfortunate that I started playing Horizon immediately after Zelda. On paper, Horizon is an extremely good game. I really like the combat, it's hard and thrilling and I like that there are enemies in the world that you pretty much have to avoid until you're ready to take them on. The graphics are also extremely pretty obviously. That said, I find the actual traversal and exploration incredibly boring compared to Zelda. The named locations are big and impressive but once you're there for a few minutes my brain goes into "video game mode" and I'm just trying to complete my objective so I can move on. I was just so absorbed in Zelda's world. The terrain, the weather, the sense of adventure, it all feels vibrant and alive in a way I've never experienced in an open-world game before, including Horizon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd be very surprised if ff12 doesn't come to pc considering like every other game in the series is there now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

I badly want to play Zelda but buying a system that only has one game out that I'm interested in is a bit much

only 1 wii u game interests you?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope Bowser goes back to being a playable characters in some future Mario RPG, Paper Mario or M&L or otherwise.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

They would be impossible to port probably. I can't even imagine how would adapt map games to a controller. I suppose a pure touch screen would work alright.

two words... vr

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

two worlds is getting a vr version!?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

According to Wikipedia, Star Citizen is coming out this year!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

It's really hard to directly compare these two games. Not only are they different in terms of designing player interaction, they take fundamentally different approaches to storytelling. It's kind of like apples and oranges. I think that in most direct comparisons, Horizon is going to be favored because it's got a lot of quality of life features that Nier lacks. I think that Horizon is great partially because all its parts work so well together and it feels really accessible. I think that Nier ends up being great partially despite these shortcomings.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Zelda chat, since I'm revisiting older 3D Zelda games after BotW: what's everyone's favorite version of the classic green outfit in the series?

I think mine is Skyward Sword's, even though I barely got past the tutorial in that game before I stopped playing. I like the baggy, comfy-looking pants, the somewhat more reasonably-sized hat than Twilight Princess's, and the chain mail (though that was also in Twilight Princess, which I liked).

I also like Breath of the Wild's version, even though I haven't actually gotten it myself, because I appreciate that it's basically just an updated version of the original Link's outfit, right down to lacking full pants.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Snak posted:

Horizon is going to be favored because it's got a lot of quality of life features that Nier lacks.

Some of the missing QoL stuff in Nier is on purpose, for example there's no auto-saves because Yoko Taro wanted to spite people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looks like it's not on sale anymore, but I noticed that those RPG Maker games were on sale on Steam this week, and while the idea of paying $80 for that is pretty lol, $32 didn't seem so bad if it's pretty versatile and not a pain to use. My kids are in that phase where they can spend hours making poo poo in custom editors for games, any of you that are familiar with it think it would make a good gift for them?

• Locked thread