Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GeneX posted:

this isn't a hot take

Apparently it is since people are suggesting unironically that Saheeli could get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/update-standard-2017-03-24

I don't know what I wanted him to say. I feel like I got the impression that they gave up on standard until the next set, which might be fair.

Well, at least he didn't embarrass himself this time by asking twitter what everyone thought of standard on a scale of 1-10 and then lying about the results

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 24, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Stoddard posted:

I think in hindsight, making sure that we have at least Naturalize or something stronger in the format is important to keep the format in check, if our themes hit harder than expected.
I understood the article so that the four blocks a year tripped them up because more themes meant more chances for ~pushing something too hard~ (and something falling under the bus, see BFZ) and because they suddenly didn't have the core set to save their bacon (either by printing answers or buffing a lagging theme, again see BFZ).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BFZ was so goddamn bad, there is basically only one card from that set that is worth playing and it's Gideon who is a 4-of in most of the decks he's played in.

It's slightly exaggerating to say that there is one standard playable card in the whole set, but it's not far off.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

BFZ was so goddamn bad, there is basically only one card from that set that is worth playing and it's Gideon who is a 4-of in most of the decks he's played in.

It's slightly exaggerating to say that there is one standard playable card in the whole set, but it's not far off.

Define playable.

BG Aristocrats was a huge deck for a while pre-rotation along with cards like Zulaport, Catacomb Sifter etc etc

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Transgress is still decently playable. Ruinous Path, also, out of the board. More stuff if you include Oath.

But yeah BFZ kinda sucks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

80s James Hetfield posted:

Define playable.

BG Aristocrats was a huge deck for a while pre-rotation along with cards like Zulaport, Catacomb Sifter etc etc

Sees play in the main of a deck that has made the top 8 of a recent tournament, I don't care about cards that saw play a year ago.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Aren't we all forgetting about Ulamog?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Verdant Catacombs and Tarns are rapidly rising. Is this because it's right before a weekend's beginning of cracking packs or did a lot of us miss the boat?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DangerDongs posted:

Verdant Catacombs and Tarns are rapidly rising. Is this because it's right before a weekend's beginning of cracking packs or did a lot of us miss the boat?

Just like Goyfs, you kinda need 4 if you've opened one sometime in the past week. "Just need 3 more, might as well get them!"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Just like Goyfs, you kinda need 4 if you've opened one sometime in the past week. "Just need 3 more, might as well get them!"

This is what's killing me about Liliana atm. Her buylist is like $41 yet she is still high $60s on TCG.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

Or opened 2 Goyfs, or already had an adjacent deck built, or had a deck 80% built and held off after the announcement, etc etc etc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

Demand is greatly outpacing supply at the moment. It could be for a few reasons.

1: Gp San Antonio is coming up and people are getting hyped. Its probably going to sell out in record time. People need cards for it and this last week was the best time to buy so you are assured you get your order on time.
2: Standard sucks and people who want to spend money on magic aren't spending it on standard.
3: TCG had a kickback last weekend of 3% and people jumped on it.

If the print run is high, prices will go down further. It is safe to say that demand for modern cards is super high despite it not being modern season and it took people by surprise.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

They'll be cheaper again by Sunday

:ohdear:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/update-standard-2017-03-24

I don't know what I wanted him to say. I feel like I got the impression that they gave up on standard until the next set, which might be fair.

I'm glad that they've decided that printing good answers is good. This made me chuckle a little:

quote:

The nature of the bans and how far ahead we work has divorced that testing from how things are likely to look, and sharing a ton of our decklists that are so different than what the real world metagame looks like is unlikely to be useful or garner any positive discussion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They really should be super gung-ho about printing good answers because those go a long way towards covering up any major gently caress-ups they do provided they're distributed relatively evenly.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm glad that they've decided that printing good answers is good. This made me chuckle a little:

Same but also scary. They literally have no loving clue what is going to happen with Amonkhet & Hour of Devestation.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

They really should be super gung-ho about printing good answers because those go a long way towards covering up any major gently caress-ups they do provided they're distributed relatively evenly.

Well, the obvious counterargument is "what happens when the answer becomes the fuckup?" but practically speaking they'd probably have to go a long way to get to that

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

Well, the obvious counterargument is "what happens when the answer becomes the fuckup?" but practically speaking they'd probably have to go a long way to get to that

Legacy Miracles is what happens.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

JerryLee posted:

Honestly legacy is probably the place where this is closest to "true" and even then legacy's most powerful answers are the only things keeping the format from the storm competition everyone thinks it is lmao

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Legacy needs ridiculously powerful answers because its combo and prison decks are disgustingly powerful.

Standard just needs hero's downfall, lightning strike, and dissolve. Maybe a good blue cantrip and doom blade as well.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
There are powerful answers in standard, but they're too narrow. Fatal push, blessed alliance, collective brutality and so on are awesome when they line up correctly but lame when they don't. They also have a huge blindspot for planeswalkers which is extremely obnoxious with how hard they're being pushed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Reprint Oblivion Ring Banishing Light.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Reprint Memory Lapse. :smaug:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Siivola posted:

I understood the article so that the four blocks a year tripped them up because more themes meant more chances for ~pushing something too hard~ (and something falling under the bus, see BFZ) and because they suddenly didn't have the core set to save their bacon (either by printing answers or buffing a lagging theme, again see BFZ).

Yeah, reading this made me hopeful for standard in the future because it really does seem like they know they hosed up but couldn't do much with it because of the sudden shift in how things were done. We got some cool sets (minus BFZ) but not enough ways with dealing with things.

Still going to suck until cat is banned/ if there aren't more answers in Amonkhet. I think some answers will pop up, just based on stuff Maro has said about the "answer/threat pendulum" swinging back towards answers. Guess we'll know in a few weeks!

e

ShaneB posted:

If an egypt-y themed set doesn't have lots of sick ways to kill poo poo I will be very upset.

Same. Plus ways to deal with graveyards.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 24, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If an egypt-y themed set doesn't have lots of sick ways to kill poo poo I will be very upset.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

All I want from not-egypt set is a a creature with the word Mummy on the type-line.

I am prepared to be disappointed because I know they will all just be zombies.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pyramids is on the Reserved List, but I'd love to see a Cyclopean Mummy reprint. The game needs more reprints of classic, cool cards to be limited filler.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a lot of random old cards that would make good Limited fodder and I'm surprise they don't try to put more them in as reprints. I thought Immolation would have been a shoe-in for Theros block as Limited removal / heroic enabler that works with the enchantment theme.
And you'd think Carrion Ants would have shown up somewhere in the last 20 years. I guess they like all their shades to require colored mana these days.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Smash to smithereens should have been reprinted in Aether Revolt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

There's a lot of random old cards that would make good Limited fodder and I'm surprise they don't try to put more them in as reprints. I thought Immolation would have been a shoe-in for Theros block as Limited removal / heroic enabler that works with the enchantment theme.

interestingly enough maro answered why that card is never coming back recently http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/158765451148/why-isnt-red-allowed-to-give-x-x-to-opponents

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
however, an immolation that only targets your own creatures is fine, if i'm reading it right, tho obviously way worse of a card

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Well, the obvious counterargument is "what happens when the answer becomes the fuckup?"

Then we get one of the good games where getting your guy in feels super rad just because he's the only guy who has gotten in after 17 turns of constant back-and-forth.

You don't need big splashy effects or immunity to removal to make a card feel awesome. You need it to be the one guy who's pulled up it britches and gone to work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Goddamn, it's kind of ridiculous at FNM here.

The other big store in town closed and my LGS is the biggest one left by far and it's loving packed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I first got back into it about 6 years ago, there was only one LGS in town and it was normal to get 20+ for Standard FNM. And no one in town drafted regularly.
Now there's 2 big stores, but it's nearly the reverse, with standard struggling to get to 8 and draft regularly having 12-16.

Standard attendance has plumetted in the last 6-9 months.

I dropped by the other LGS I don't normally go to tonight, on a whim, and they were absolutely dead for FNM. So I ended up just spending two hours helping a couple kids make decks with cards from the bulk bin. :unsmith:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

I ended up just spending two hours helping a couple kids make decks with cards from the bulk bin. :unsmith:

That's awesome!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Do vehicles have a place in modern or really any life outside of standard?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TwistedNails posted:

That's awesome!

I highly recommend it, especially if you're ever burned out on dealing with grognards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nystral posted:

I can imagine Smugger's Copter finding a place in a Modern deck somewhere maybe, but other than that I don't think the power level's really there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nystral posted:

The racer is in vintage, copter is fun in cube.

• Locked thread