Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fridurmus posted:

There's very little chance direct lines or arcades are coming back. Fighting games need to find a way to be properly viable on wifi connections somehow, or this problem is going to keep coming back over and over.
GGPO works fine. Fighting games' main problem is they ignore it outright or mess up their own implementation of the same technique (as evidenced by how that latest Capcom rigmarole mentions nothing about even acknowledging the asymmetric rollback bug that's been plaguing the game).

In Training posted:

I don't know if that's possible but I'm not an engineer. The online games that are popular on consoles are by and large FPS games where every game will be rife with lag but nobody cares because it's team based and barely competitive.
Yeah, you can't get rid of lag/rollback, only build ways to hide it. Shooters are built around not needing a perfect spatial perception of the match, which opens up a lot of opportunities for hiding rollbacks. It's not quite yet clear how using similar techniques to hide rollbacks in fighting games would be accepted by players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Tekken Tag 2 doesn't use rollback code and it still has one of the best online play experiences in a modern FG.

This is an addressable problem if you hire smart people and dedicate resources to it. Capcom doesn't do either of those things.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brosnan posted:

Tekken Tag 2 doesn't use rollback code and it still has one of the best online play experiences in a modern FG.

This is an addressable problem if you hire smart people and dedicate resources to it. Capcom doesn't do either of those things.
Well yeah, but it still hides it, in that specific case by having high input lag even offline, teaching its players to have a high default tolerance for it. It's a method that is traditionally popular for RTS games, for example, while the FPS school of thought, the methods of which eventually resulted in GGPO, is built on the idea that input delay for your character should be as low as possible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also isn't it easier to hide latency for 3D games because frame data is slower overall? I mean, of course Namco got their poo poo down with Tag 2 (and SCV), and there is a proven solution for 2D netcode, so the point still stands.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tekken moves are much longer than sf moves thats true but idk anything about latency stuff

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
If your input buffer is decently long then having a higher default input lag doesn't really affect situations where you're just doing sequences of things, at least. i.e. combos, blockstrings, or inputting lots of movement as is common in 3d games. Still really sucks for reacting to stuff though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dias posted:

Also isn't it easier to hide latency for 3D games because frame data is slower overall? I mean, of course Namco got their poo poo down with Tag 2 (and SCV), and there is a proven solution for 2D netcode, so the point still stands.

Well, extremely fast moves in Soul Calibur have 10 frames of start-up. Very slow compared to a 3-frame jab in SF.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does fiber optic internet improve netcode?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe I should buy the pc version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvIxw9J2Mbw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That fan mod has 100x better looking hair than a the original game

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cannon Spike makes a really good Boost Kick

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/845098142731198465

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

In Training posted:

That fan mod has 100x better looking hair than a the original game

No dude I love Playdoh hair it makes it feel more like a Saturday morning cartoon

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If anyone of you thinks that it'll end up be an improvement of any kind then prepare to be disappointed.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Has ANYone from Capcom ever, EVER acknowledged the problem with the way rollback synchronization works in SF5?

edit: for clarity

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 25, 2017

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Trykt posted:

Has ANYone from Capcom ever, EVER acknowledged the problem with rollback synchronization?

when marvel 3 came out they said they said its impossible to do rollback with 3d graphics

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

when marvel 3 came out they said they said its impossible to do rollback with 3d graphics

and somehow people still actually believe things that capcom and their surrogates say

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

and somehow people still actually believe things that capcom and their surrogates say

I once got into an argument with people in the Marvel 3 discord because they all claimed that it is impossible to NOT have paid to play online gaming on consoles due to the PS4/Xbox One being too weak to run the P2P servers without the additional money.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I once got into an argument with people in the Marvel 3 discord because they all claimed that it is impossible to NOT have paid to play online gaming on consoles due to the PS4/Xbox One being too weak to run the P2P servers without the additional money.

Nintendo was clearly performing witchcraft for years, then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FGC and all fighting games clearly need to be purged with fire.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack Trades posted:

FGC and all fighting games clearly need to be purged with fire.

sfv is bad but you are seriously a million times worse, please stop posting here.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Nintendo was clearly performing witchcraft for years, then.

They said Nintendo didn't count because they didn't have as many features as the Xbox Live did, so they didn't require as powerful of hardware to run the online gaming experience.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

punk rebel ecks posted:

They said Nintendo didn't count because they didn't have as many features as the Xbox Live did, so they didn't require as powerful of hardware to run the online gaming experience.

Yeah I too can pretend the wii u didn't have Miiverse integration in every game, the ability to graffiti meme poo poo everywhere in splatoon maps with said miiverse integration, and all the other various things it had going for it.

I wish I could work for Capcom and get paid way too much for lying to my paying customers' faces.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

sfv is bad but you are seriously a million times worse, please stop posting here.

I'll stop once SFV becomes good.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you got serious problems dude

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
more like Jack Offs!!!! LOL

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ixiggle posted:

more like Jack Offs!!!! LOL

:owned:

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Jack Trades posted:

I'll stop once SFV becomes good.

bro you're making people come together, whether they like sfv or think it's the pile of poo it is, they all hate you because of your terrible posting, congrats on bridging the divide

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

brian posted:

bro you're making people come together, whether they like sfv or think it's the pile of poo it is, they all hate you because of your terrible posting, congrats on bridging the divide

:thumbsup:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rise up

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Mod all the awful character models, change out all of the terrible music; all someone needs to do is to mod a good game in and we're in business.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Night Blade posted:

Mod all the awful character models, change out all of the terrible music; all someone needs to do is to mod a good game in and we're in business.

Ah the Bethesda method.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Night Blade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5_A2xrjkI

this is the only sf5 gameplay mod that i'm aware of

it looks ok i guess

combos are a bit too long + damage is really low considering the amount of hits in a lot of the combos

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
is that a mod that turns sfv into blazblue

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ELEAGUE's Street Fighter V Invitational starting in about 30 mins https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv

Schedule: http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/schedule

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

General Morden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5_A2xrjkI

this is the only sf5 gameplay mod that i'm aware of

it looks ok i guess

combos are a bit too long + damage is really low considering the amount of hits in a lot of the combos

No lie, I'd rather just play street fighter v than that.

Just make more characters able to do things like this:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...ction-too-good/

Not quite that hellacious but yeah.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Watching Marn get rolled by Punk and getting the bag twice was great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol this marn interview

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://store.steampowered.com/app/593880 is the test client for their server thing, should be available soon.

Don't need SFV in your library or anything to play is my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593880 is the test client for their server thing, should be available soon.

Don't need SFV in your library or anything to play is my understanding.

Will this make the game good?