Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

AvesPKS posted:

Saw this parked outside the Department of Energy.

This excites me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just visited the website (which is rather nice) https://lucidmotors.com/

...and I noticed the windscreen is basically also the roof too which (in two pieces) extends all the way over the top to above the rear seats. Cool as gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 22, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't know if it's just the photo but the front windshield looks pretty heavily tinted and super illegal in a lot of states.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 22, 2017

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I have more pics but I can't seem to get more than one to display per post through the app.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 22, 2017

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

AvesPKS posted:

It's like a fifth gen Celica from a sci-fi movie.

This rules. Seems like a good time to post this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Faraday Future was supposed to be the next big thing after Tesla but has turned out to be a total shitshow. Lucid Air has so far only put on a good show. It's still a long journey to a production car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

AvesPKS posted:

I have more pics but I can't seem to get more than one to display per post through the app.

Holy poo poo, it's a fastback too. Sold.

Too bad about the wheels, but that can be fixed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

AvesPKS posted:

Are those wheels supposed to not be facing the same direction like that?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I thought it was a Tesla at first because I thought I saw a guy with a Tesla hat standing next to it.

Also the interior dash seemed like 2 giant slabs of glass, but I didn't get that good a look at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 22, 2017

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Ola posted:

Faraday Future was supposed to be the next big thing after Tesla but has turned out to be a total shitshow. Lucid Air has so far only put on a good show. It's still a long journey to a production car.

Lucid actually got past vaporware though.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

It's headlights are the best part:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:fap:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's super practical, installing a bunch of actuators and vanes in a place that is exposed to road spray, wind, and bugs. No way in hell that's easy to maintain.

I still want it though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AvesPKS posted:

I thought it was a Tesla at first because I thought I saw a guy with a Tesla hat standing next to it.

Makes sense, if I was a Tesla exec I'd make sure i had people first in line to buy one of these and tear it apart.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Tesla build quality is already dumpster fire level, can't imagine a smaller company.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's super practical, installing a bunch of actuators and vanes in a place that is exposed to road spray, wind, and bugs. No way in hell that's easy to maintain.

Maybe put it behind a typical window for production?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamins posted:

It's headlights are the best part:

This is what I see:

headlight servo motor #7 error: maintenance required

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

AvesPKS posted:

I met with them today (you can read about it at Ars tomorrow). It was actually very impressive for an early prototype. If they can deliver in 2019 they should have a hit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

I met with them today (you can read about it at Ars tomorrow). It was actually very impressive for an early prototype. If they can deliver in 2019 they should have a hit.

How big is the trunk?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The frunk is big (Ron would fit easily); the rear there's not a massive amount of room because this one has a pair of superduper reclining seats instead of a bench. (It'll be an option.) With them there's more room in the back than a 760Li.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Looks like a ton of room:

Adjustable rear seat backs too that's pretty awesome.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If anything they fold too far back in the prototype. Not sure as want to be completely prone driving along. The interior was gorgeous though, hopefully it makes it to production.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

um excuse me posted:

This is what I see:

headlight servo motor #7 error: maintenance required

Why use individual motors for each element? You could accomplish the same thing with monkey motion and gears. Nylon gears. With extra fine teeth.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

drgitlin posted:

If anything they fold too far back in the prototype. Not sure as want to be completely prone driving along. The interior was gorgeous though, hopefully it makes it to production.

:eng101: Supine.

E: :psyduck: wikipedia image.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 23, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I stand (or lie supine) corrected!

Here's my thoughts and some pics of the car: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/03/tesla-might-have-real-competition-soon-meet-the-lucid-air/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Nylon gears. With extra fine teeth.

Nylon gears are great. They're strong and tough and quiet and self-lubricating.

They only seem to suck because car companies build them to the minimum possible size and strength that will let them last the warranty period before stripping out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

They only seem to suck because car companies build them to the minimum possible size and strength that will let them last the warranty period before stripping out.

Bavarian Motor What??
(to be fair, the folding mirror gears that shredded themselves on my friend's m5 did look like they were made of some kind of metal, much to my surprise. Probably should have used nylon!)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

Having spent nearly a decade working on wet process photo printers full of the drat things I'd beg to differ, although they may not be suited to constant drive applications. I probably spent at least a few hundred hours replacing nylon gears with worn teeth in processing tank transport racks that caused jams & overlapping prints.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Metal* gears also wear out if you don't keep them lubricated, and much faster than nylon ones, too. Similarly, a properly-designed greased nylon gear will last basically forever.

*well, some metal gears. Case-hardened polished steel is pretty durable

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, greasing them wasn't an option because they were submerged. The reasoning behind nylon gears was if there was a particularly nasty jam that stalled a roller it would be better to have a plastic gear self-destruct than a metal gear that would likely continue trying to drive and destroying the structural parts of the rack itself.

Didn't make having to replace 30+ gears and chase e-clips around the lab during a service call any more pleasant though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

Yeah, greasing them wasn't an option because they were submerged. The reasoning behind nylon gears was if there was a particularly nasty jam that stalled a roller it would be better to have a plastic gear self-destruct than a metal gear that would likely continue trying to drive and destroying the structural parts of the rack itself.

Didn't make having to replace 30+ gears and chase e-clips around the lab during a service call any more pleasant though.

Designing a sacrificial part in a system to preserve the more complex and expensive mechanism is good engineering practice. Not considering the ease of replacing said part is just rude engineering practice.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It's time for new ROADKILL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YOh4zkXHeQ

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Oh wow, why have I never watched any of this. That one guy is great.
*engine has ton of sludge in it* "Oh, it'll be fine"
*table catches fire* "Oh, it's fine"
*dude names 3000 things that still have to happen* "Eh, it's not even a long list"

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

Oh wow, why have I never watched any of this. That one guy is great.
*engine has ton of sludge in it* "Oh, it'll be fine"
*table catches fire* "Oh, it's fine"
*dude names 3000 things that still have to happen* "Eh, it's not even a long list"

Oh man, hope you don't have plans, you're in for a rad weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Oh wow, why have I never watched any of this.

You are in an enviable position, my friend. I'm still feeling pretty good just because I'm so far behind I still have a few episodes to catch up on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, just wait until the next episode goes on Youtube, it's goddamn epic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Isn't Willys pronounced Willis?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Someone starting out watching all the episodes of this got me thinking...

I still think the best episode of roadkill is the el camino carpark engine swap. Something about it just speaks to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

what'chu talkin bout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kimbo305 posted:

That's the way I've always said it.