Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They're trying so hard to make people care about Aquaman and that will never cease being hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well they may not care about aquaman but girls sure do seem to love some Jason mamoa

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jason Momoa does seem like a pretty cool guy, though. Throws axes and doesn't afraid of anything.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If nothing else, it is my hope that Momoa will knock it out of the park, people will naturally like Aquaman, and then they won't have to try so hard.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
They're giving him the Poochy treatment and it is pretty funny to watch. He needs to be introduced in the movie by bursting into the room on a skateboard and rapping about himself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Batman finds Aquaman in a crossfit gym, and his first lines are "This Eee Dee Emm music; so strange, but invigorating!".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Crossfit? Nah, Aquaman's a Tough Mudder, yo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like Aquaman :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Go back to bed, Geoff Johns.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I want to like Aquaman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aquaman has only ever been good in The Brave and The Bold, but that kind of self-aware humor would never be acceptable in the DCCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peter David's Aquaman run is the high point of the character's history. It's a goddamned shame you can't get it in trades.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He was fine in JL/JLU too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

twistedmentat posted:

God drat WB is going all out for this teaser for the trailer. My FB feed is just full of poo poo. Oh look Batman is standing on a building, wow, that's not like how he's been shown every single time they've put out a poster with Batman on it.

I saw an Ad for it on Tv earlier tonight, which might possibly be the strangest thing ever. They actually took time and money to advertise a free trailer that most of the world was gonna watch anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Deadpool 2 script looking good

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/845158022926106625

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

twistedmentat posted:

God drat WB is going all out for this teaser for the trailer. My FB feed is just full of poo poo. Oh look Batman is standing on a building, wow, that's not like how he's been shown every single time they've put out a poster with Batman on it.

But this time he's standing on a statue! That's new and exciting.

Jamesman posted:

They're giving him the Poochy treatment and it is pretty funny to watch. He needs to be introduced in the movie by bursting into the room on a skateboard and rapping about himself.

How does one go about making a character cool without turning it into the Poochy treatment, though? He's a character who does cool stuff in a movie full of characters who do cool stuff, if anything they are all Poochy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The current Aquaman book is good. Him as a dual citizen who desperately wants peace between his two home countries that don't like or respect one another and having to deal with parties in both who want war, it's a really good take.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Please don't do this.

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/845285450663157761

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

Go back to bed, Geoff Johns.

I will fight you

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh the salt.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/brett-ratner-rotten-tomatoes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/845301374434861056

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

Peter David's Aquaman run is the high point of the character's history. It's a goddamned shame you can't get it in trades.

I didn't mind the Busiek run, but it would make no sense in the movies

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I didn't even realize that Ratner was tangentially related to BvS.

He is a bad man who does bad things.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

gently caress YOU, you hack piece of human poo poo

you are everything wrong with the medium of film!

RatNUUR is a literal 13 year old trapped in the body in a grown man

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 24, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
New Guardian's Spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO0JPFu7-Qs

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

But...Plenty of people saw it. It made almost a billion dollars in theaters

Most people didn't like it.

That's not the fault of RT, that's firmly on the shoulders of the writer, director, producers, editors, and possibly some of the actors.

I mean

VanityFair posted:

Sure, the blockbuster made over $850 million worldwide in spite of negative reviews . . . but just think of how much more it could have made had it not had a Rotten Tomatoes score of 27 percent!
Sure. Let's think of hypotheticals.
    *What if the story had not been poo poo?

*What if it were not poorly edited and directed?

*What if the characterizations were closer to their source materials?
Then maybe, you would have gotten a better rating because you would have been selling a better product.

Oh wait, I forgot. Marvel is the company that does "What If?"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
MAN, a "What If" movie from Marvel would be AMAZING

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Race Realists posted:

Yeah Logan was really good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Race Realists posted:

Especially if the current universe and the What If universe diverged early on, like say in Iron Man 2, and the What If movie then had to tell a super condensed story of what happened differently throughout all the rest of the MCU movies since then.

Edit: Also, Spider-Man would obviously have to die.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Race Realists posted:

RatNUUR is a literal 13 year old trapped in the body in a grown man

"Rehearsing is for fags" - Brett Ratner

*Fixed

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Rehearsing is for fags.

I know this was meant to be an ironic post but I'm gonna ask nicely please don't

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Race Realists posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BvS, a flawed but interesting movie with a slightly novel take on superheroes: 27% on rotten tomatoes.

Avengers 2, a subpar movie about the destruction of cars that might has well been produced for TV: 75% on rotten tomatoes.

Thor, a pretty bland movie that manages to to have not only Portman, but also Hopkins sleepwalk through the movie: 77% on rotten tomatoes.

Thor 2: Bland harder, who's only worthwhile contribution was Hiddleston: 66%

Doctor Strange, a movie where they copy pasted Tony Stark and gave him magic instead of tech and a sassy cape: 90% on rotten tomatoes.

Etc etc.

Basically, RT rewards conformity and cookie cutter movies in the superhero genre while eschewing movies that deviate from the formula.In fact, a common complaint of BvS was that it wasn't "as fun as Marvels movies!"

Now obviously I am not saying RT is responsible for BvS not becoming even more successful, but something is arguably wrong when bland poo poo like the Thors and loving Avengers 2 have twice the rating of BvS.

Edit: The audience rating of 63% is a more accurate rating imo. It's a rating that acknowledges a movies flaws while not entirely dismissing it because of them.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 24, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

Now obviously I am not saying RT is responsible for BvS not becoming even more successful, but something is arguably wrong when bland poo poo like the Thors and loving Avengers 2 have twice the rating of BvS.

none of them are higher than a C+, sounds about right to me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's not how it works :argh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's not how it works :argh:

maybe if you went to one of those fancy private schools

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm saying that BvS should at the very least be on par with them. A rating of 27 is grossly missleading

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

McCloud posted:

BvS, a flawed but interesting movie with a slightly novel take on superheroes :smuggo:

:fuckoff:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means only 27 percent of critics said it was a good movie, which sounds about right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, I definitely rank Batman v Superman pretty low down on the superhero movie totem pole. It's just so loving dull, which is about the worst thing one of these movies can be.

• Locked thread