Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

New Nintendo owner here, my take on Splatoon TestFire is not very positive. I'm no stranger to multiplayer games, first person shooters, third person shooters, you name it. I do well, usually.

First off, gyro sucks. Take a hike. Secondly, can't make control changes until you quit out of a match. And then I found sensitivity was WAY too high (using Pro Controller, btw) so that's a round and then a backout every time I want to tweak it till I find something good.

I killed one person in like 6 games. I was insta-murdered every time anyone even looked in my direction. Time to Kill is insanely fast for a game like this. I tried painting areas but someone would just come up and merc me before I could even react.

I'm not seeing the appeal. I just don't understand how what I just played is considered good.

I'm not trolling or trying to be salty about it. As a new Nintendo owner, I was excited to check out the best of what I'd missed all these years. This felt... bad. :(

Sorry, guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

CoasterMaster posted:

:(

(I'm guessing it's something involved with the Wifi at work...)

Yep, can connect to internet with wifi, but not in game

Also getting error ending in -0516

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Feenix posted:

New Nintendo owner here, my take on Splatoon TestFire is not very positive. I'm no stranger to multiplayer games, first person shooters, third person shooters, you name it. I do well, usually.

First off, gyro sucks. Take a hike. Secondly, can't make control changes until you quit out of a match. And then I found sensitivity was WAY too high (using Pro Controller, btw) so that's a round and then a backout every time I want to tweak it till I find something good.

I killed one person in like 6 games. I was insta-murdered every time anyone even looked in my direction. Time to Kill is insanely fast for a game like this. I tried painting areas but someone would just come up and merc me before I could even react.

I'm not seeing the appeal. I just don't understand how what I just played is considered good.

I'm not trolling or trying to be salty about it. As a new Nintendo owner, I was excited to check out the best of what I'd missed all these years. This felt... bad. :(

There's no auto aim, so if you turn off gyro you're at a severe disadvantage. If you're having trouble killing people, focus on spreading ink instead, since that's all that counts in the end. If you're getting surprised constantly, you need to be aware that enemy ink is always dangerous because enemies can squid through it, so try not to have your back to it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

Agreed, it felt like someone trying really hard to make a good game but it just wasn't that fun.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Maybe try to learn it for more than five minutes of playtime?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lobstertainment posted:

Has gyro in Zelda not kinda paved the way for you? Def giving me a leg up.

Not really? I mean, I do ok there, because it's not a twitch game. That arrow is usually aimed and shot from distance in stealth.

I don't know, I REALLY want to like this game. It's not just the gyro aiming. And maybe I was just pitted EVERY SINGLE GAME against Splatoon Veterans, but I faced off against many, many people and was instantly dropped. The one person I killed was because I slid a bomb in their direction and they were preoccupied.

It just doesn't feel very good. Some of that may just be personal preference, but I definitely do not see the appeal in what I just experienced.

Wendell posted:

Sorry, guy.

No more than I am, I assure you.

Wendell posted:

Maybe try to learn it for more than five minutes of playtime?

Well, I played for more than half an hour. How long should one play to know it doesn't feel good? No need to be butthurt about it. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 24, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
edit. Double POst. Sorry. Quote is not edit.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Once I turned motion controls off I really dug it. Having a lot of fun.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I got kills and won probably 7 out of the ten games I played of splatoon 2 and even doing ok it was kinda lame and boring.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Feenix posted:

lol gyro aiming sucks, why do all these people keep killing me with gyro aim

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Been playing since the Testfire started non-stop and I've dropped all of 23% battery so looks like you can play Splatoon for probably 4 hours and change in handheld mode which is pretty awesome

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

Not really? I mean, I do ok there, because it's not a twitch game. That arrow is usually aimed and shot from distance in stealth.

I don't know, I REALLY want to like this game. It's not just the gyro aiming. And maybe I was just pitted EVERY SINGLE GAME against Splatoon Veterans, but I faced off against many, many people and was instantly dropped. The one person I killed was because I slid a bomb in their direction and they were preoccupied.

It just doesn't feel very good. Some of that may just be personal preference, but I definitely do not see the appeal in what I just experienced.

No more than I am, I assure you.

Well, I played for more than half an hour. How long should one play to know it doesn't feel good? No need to be butthurt about it. :)

It took me quite a while to get good with the gyro and not rely on the stick except to do 90/180 turns really really fast, I jacked that sensitivity up and kept the gyro at a spot I can tweak aim. Once you get used to it though you will join us in crapping on console games without gyro aiming.

Also you're dealing with people like me who have played this game for 100s of hours and new people like you are in slow mo.

Edit: for some damned reason I have to play this game standing up. I suppose because I do 98% of my aiming with the gyro and that includes those big turns sometimes, so I need to be able to go WEEEE

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 24, 2017

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Jesus this game destroys my wrists with the gyro when I'm just using the joycons. The grip feels and controls this waaay better with than without.

Anyone know how the pro stacks up against the grip re: comfort, amount of wrist movement needed for the gyro?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

people who don't like gyro aiming are wrong and should feel embarrassed about themselves

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Feenix posted:

Gyro complaints aside, I agree on the lack of access to settings. I made a tweak to something and jumped into a match, and found that I had to suffer with inverted looking for an entire match because the settings aren't accessible from there.

Then again, this is just a test to stress servers. I imagine they disabled most of the things in the game to make access very specific.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
lol the test fire isn't even over and we're getting splatoon 2 demo slap fights GG thread you all suck terribly

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
When's Fire Emblem????

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

Your post is entirely about not understanding how to play well. The frustrations brought about by being new. Practicing would help. Or you can write it off, I don't care!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
As someone who never played the first one, I like Splatoon 2 a lot, but gyro controls are terrible in handheld mode.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wendell posted:

Your post is entirely about not understanding how to play well. The frustrations brought about by being new. Practicing would help. Or you can write it off, I don't care!

You seem to care a little!

And sorry to all, I wasn't trying to ruin anyone's high. I was super excited and it ended up not feeling very good to me. I didn't mean to cause discord here. I like this thread and I like my Switch. :)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I like handheld gyro but I was also using a roller the entire time

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

And sorry to all, I wasn't trying to ruin anyone's high. I was super excited and it ended up not feeling very good to me. I didn't mean to cause discord here. I like this thread and I like my Switch. :)

The gyro/stick argument has been going on for ages so this is nothing new. Some people don't ever seem to quite fully get it, but like someone said this game has no autoaim unlike other console games. This leaves all but the most dedicated stick only people finding themselves having problems keeping up.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
The gyro aiming is the only way to play, but it does take a while for it to click, took me like half of Splatoon's single player campaign to get good with the gyro controls, but once they click they're perfect.

TL;DR: Git gud.

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 24, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

feenix, what was your name in-game

i'll let you know if i murdered you at least once

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Takoluka posted:

feenix, what was your name in-game

i'll let you know if i murdered you at least once

Is it just using my system Profile name? If so... *drumroll*.... Feenix! :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

romanowski posted:

people who don't like gyro aiming are wrong and should feel embarrassed about themselves

:yeah:

I didn't like gyro at first in Splatoon 1 but once you get used to it, it makes every other duel stick shooter control scheme feel like poo poo.

The key, for me at least, is to make broad movements with the second stick for and use the motion precise aiming.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 24, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kalsco posted:

Jesus this game destroys my wrists with the gyro when I'm just using the joycons. The grip feels and controls this waaay better with than without.

Anyone know how the pro stacks up against the grip re: comfort, amount of wrist movement needed for the gyro?

Constant gyro aiming with the Pro controller feels a little awkward, albeit very accurate. Default sensitivity doesn't require a lot of wrist movement, but as someone who played very little Splatoon 1, I couldn't help but do most of my aiming with it, so I was constantly "steering" the pro controller around and around. I'm gonna try tonight's test out with a Joy-Con in each hand. I tried that in Zelda and loved gyro aiming the bow with one hand.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 24, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pretty fun hour, turned off gyro and got a bunch of fun wins with high scores and didn't really feel any problems aiming or anything, will probably be back for the 11PM one. Good stuff Nintendo.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Nobody is talking about the most important thing in the testfire

You can play with the music by pushing buttons in the waiting lobby :banjo:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Went to a local brewery, logged into the wifi, and squished some squidkids. The Switch is good!

Moop Moop posted:

:vince:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'm liking motion controls a lot more than I did on WiiU. Something there just didn't translate in my head but I can do the Joycons just fine.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feenix posted:

Is it just using my system Profile name? If so... *drumroll*.... Feenix! :)

It does, and no, I did not murder you.

I'm sorry you did not have fun, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Moop Moop posted:

Nobody is talking about the most important thing in the testfire

Absolutely my favorite part. Genuinely made me happy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

I don't know why you are trying to get my goat. My post was originally in response to Whatley because he's an annoying shitposter. Don't be so defensive.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you move the thumbsticks while I'm the lobby, the music can be toned up or toned down

e: realize people have discovered this!

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I only played Roller and Slosher in Splatoon 1, but the Dualies are feeling pretty rad with gyro controls.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Takoluka posted:

It does, and no, I did not murder you.

I'm sorry you did not have fun, though.

You know what, I think the worst part is it left a bad first impression and this was the only chance I had to play in the TestFire. Maybe a lot more playing would have changed my mind. I will never know. :\

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NOOOOOOOO

YOU ASSHOLES

I NEED MY FIX THAT WAS SUCH A FUN HOUR AND MY FIRST EXPOSURE TO SPLATOON

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The only gripe I have with the gyro aiming is the stick being locked off on the Y axis. Trying to quickly aim up in handheld mode is really annoying. if it was the same board movements with the stick and gyro fine control it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Xisticide posted:

The only gripe I have with the gyro aiming is the stick being locked off on the Y axis. Trying to quickly aim up in handheld mode is really annoying. if it was the same board movements with the stick and gyro fine control it would be perfect.

Yeah, I don't know why it isn't like Zelda/Gravity Rush. It should be!

• Locked thread