Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Re: YoRHa, they were created by androids as a way to keep other androids from losing all purpose after humanity went extinct; androids are programmed with an obsessive love for humanity so many of them were experiencing huge existential crises before the machines showed up. More specifically, YoRHa was introduced somewhat recently as basically propaganda after several hundreds of years of battle. The Pods mention in Ending E that they were created by androids, there's a file detailing how YoRHa black boxes were made using machine cores since using standard AI for them would be 'inhumane' by android standards, and in her final report Jackass mentions she's going to punish the machines AND the people who came up with YoRHa. Sometime before the start of the game, the Terminals do infiltrate the YoRHa server, but they're gaming the preexisting set-up, they didn't create it.

One thing to keep in mind about 2B is that she's really not nearly as good at moderating or hiding her feelings as she tries to act like she is. I'm in the middle of translating it in full now, but in the Memory Cage short story, 9S mentions how bad she is at concealing her affection for him and as a Scanner unit he can see right through it, which explains why he's so quick to get close to her every time; he's lonely and he can tell that she's fond of him, despite herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
AUgh oh my god this game I cried at ending E.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Finishing up the sidequests now, I especially liked the ones where (Route C spoilers) You get to talk to the broken Engels Goliath, and the quest where 9S gets to mourn 2B's death.

But the only quest left for me to do (besides the one that needs all weapons equipped and upgraded), is one where you need 95% unit data to complete it!! I'm at 88% and couldn't even imagine what I am missing unless the superbosses count for a bunch of percentage.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Another reason I really need to do that hard mode playthrough is that this time I can just take my time and get immersed in the story. The first time around I was bombarded by my american friends telling me to beat the game faster so they could talk about it. Rushing it at all was a huge sin when it's pretty much your most awaited game ever.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Finishing up the sidequests now, I especially liked the ones where (Route C spoilers) You get to talk to the broken Engels Goliath, and the quest where 9S gets to mourn 2B's death.

But the only quest left for me to do (besides the one that needs all weapons equipped and upgraded), is one where you need 95% unit data to complete it!! I'm at 88% and couldn't even imagine what I am missing unless the superbosses count for a bunch of percentage.

There are a bunch of rare enemies who only occasionally bother spawning so good luck

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Are there any other infinite enemy arenas than the housing complex and copied city? I need to farm a ton of memory alloys to finish up max level weapons

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

Question about all this 2B and 9S stuff to someone who knows Japanese Is the line that in English goes "I want him" as explicit in Japanese? It feels like the kind of delivery that could easily be very different

When does she say that? I don't recall the line.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Worth noting that the different weapon variations also count for percentage, and this is for each "zone" flavour of enemy.

So there will be medium flyers- the big ones with the four turret-blade-pod things around it. But there's 4 x Gun, 4 x Exploder, 2 x Gun + 2 x Exploder variants, and this goes for regular, desert, amusement park and enhanced, for a total of 12 different things that count for percentage.

You can use triangle when looking at the unit data to swap between the variants.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 24, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

Think it's part of when you get her flight unit recording

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

dazat posted:

Re: YoRHa, they were created by androids as a way to keep other androids from losing all purpose after humanity went extinct; androids are programmed with an obsessive love for humanity so many of them were experiencing huge existential crises before the machines showed up. More specifically, YoRHa was introduced somewhat recently as basically propaganda after several hundreds of years of battle. The Pods mention in Ending E that they were created by androids, there's a file detailing how YoRHa black boxes were made using machine cores since using standard AI for them would be 'inhumane' by android standards, and in her final report Jackass mentions she's going to punish the machines AND the people who came up with YoRHa. Sometime before the start of the game, the Terminals do infiltrate the YoRHa server, but they're gaming the preexisting set-up, they didn't create it.

One thing to keep in mind about 2B is that she's really not nearly as good at moderating or hiding her feelings as she tries to act like she is. I'm in the middle of translating it in full now, but in the Memory Cage short story, 9S mentions how bad she is at concealing her affection for him and as a Scanner unit he can see right through it, which explains why he's so quick to get close to her every time; he's lonely and he can tell that she's fond of him, despite herself.

I keep hearing everyone say that they don't know who created YoRHa but in the end stuff with the red girls they flat out say that they are behind the original project and keep repeating the upgrade cycle of the androids. It's why 2B has been around for so long, because they were impressed with her original performance. It's why 9S loses it too because he realizes they can never lose the war since the machines will rebuild them and it all starts again. Emil mentions that he's seen 2B and 9S before as well.

The YoRHa are just like Pascal and the forest kingdom. They think they're free and doing their own thing but really it's just all apart of the same experiments. It's also why both sides keep trying to be human, so the terminal network can analyze every side to see if anything cracks the problem.

I mean unless the terminals are lying which doesn't really make any sense, I think it makes a lot of sense both inside the story and thematically if there's really no sides to the war that could ever win or lose.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

dazat posted:

She has this freudian slip moment when you listen to the recording on her flight unit near the coast resource gathering unit as 9S

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Mazerunner posted:

Worth noting that the different weapon variations also count for percentage, and this is for each "zone" flavour of enemy.

So there will be medium flyers- the big ones with the four turret-blade-pod things around it. But there's 4 x Gun, 4 x Exploder, 2 x Gun + 2 x Exploder variants, and this goes for regular, desert, amusement park and enhanced, for a total of 12 different things that count for percentage.

You can use triangle when looking at the unit data to swap between the variants.

There's also... strange enemies. Like, at some point all of a sudden my unit data list contained a reverse jointed goliath with a metal t-rex head. Its animations included a mouth laser. I have literally never encountered it. Genuinely wondering how the hell it ended up in there.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nina posted:

She has this freudian slip moment when you listen to the recording on her flight unit near the coast resource gathering unit as 9S

I missed that completely.

Also I just realized there's one thing I don't understand: Why do the machines in the amusement park and Pascal's village go berserk at the end too? YoRHa getting hit by a logic virus, okay, it's part of this whole built-to-be-destroyed disposal plan, but I'm not totally clear why it seems to be spreading to machine lifeforms as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Huh, this is turning out to be somewhat more complicated than I thought it was going to be.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Opposing Farce posted:

Also I just realized there's one thing I don't understand: Why do the machines in the amusement park and Pascal's village go berserk at the end too? YoRHa getting hit by a logic virus, okay, it's part of this whole built-to-be-destroyed disposal plan, but I'm not totally clear why it seems to be spreading to machine lifeforms as well.

Since the Boxes seem to be harvesting machine material I assume they're sending a signal making the machines cannibalize each others' cores. It's never explicitly addressed but it feels like it'd make sense

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh you might have trouble with that from what I've read it's literally impossible to finish without getting help.

nah, there's reports it can be done but it requires manipulation of deaths as dying early powers up enemies while dying in the last stretch powers your shots up

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Opposing Farce posted:

At the amusement park, the zombie clown robot was seen before in the first half if you go down the elevator outside of the Opera boss room, and I think you need to be on the stamp quest. Which is interesting I guess.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Opposing Farce posted:

Two different events are taking place here, I think. I'll have to double check the moment I can, but iirc the amusement park is hosed the moment you are allowed to roam again. It feels like they got hit by Eve's madness when he lost Adam. The source of the crazy in Pascall's village is never stated from what I recall.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

randombattle posted:

I keep hearing everyone say that they don't know who created YoRHa but in the end stuff with the red girls they flat out say that they are behind the original project and keep repeating the upgrade cycle of the androids. It's why 2B has been around for so long, because they were impressed with her original performance. It's why 9S loses it too because he realizes they can never lose the war since the machines will rebuild them and it all starts again. Emil mentions that he's seen 2B and 9S before as well.

The YoRHa are just like Pascal and the forest kingdom. They think they're free and doing their own thing but really it's just all apart of the same experiments. It's also why both sides keep trying to be human, so the terminal network can analyze every side to see if anything cracks the problem.

I mean unless the terminals are lying which doesn't really make any sense, I think it makes a lot of sense both inside the story and thematically if there's really no sides to the war that could ever win or lose.

They never said they were originally behind Yorha though? It's merely stated that they kept Yorha around to aid their evolution.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Man, i should really not have dicked around for like 10 minutes in the system settings at the start

I had to walk away and deal with something for 15 minutes the first time I did that, and I found it too funny to be mad.

dazat posted:

It's even in the trailer, though no one would notice how significant it was till they finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

If like more content around 2B since I feel like game didn't add much.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Best i figure is since they were experiments in pacifism, it was just the network ending the experiment. They werent actually outside the network, they were just programmed to think so.
Speaking of Pascal, he should have read Nietzsche more closely so he could embrace suffering as a part of his life instead of ending it when it got too tough.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Emil sells pretty good chips with a ridiculous slot size, like overclock +6 with 28 or so slot size.

Is there a way to grind overclocks (and other useful chips) from bad guys? Is there a setup to use? Also I noticed that there's a chip limit for chips you can hold, but looking in my inventory or chip screen there's no real indicator of how 'full' I am with chips I'm carrying around. Any input on any of this?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Iretep posted:

Speaking of Pascal, he should have read Nietzsche more closely so he could embrace suffering as a part of his life instead of ending it when it got too tough.

Pascal is a good robot who tried his best. I don't see why he should have to suffer for it's own sake.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

redreader posted:

Emil sells pretty good chips with a ridiculous slot size, like overclock +6 with 28 or so slot size.

Is there a way to grind overclocks (and other useful chips) from bad guys? Is there a setup to use? Also I noticed that there's a chip limit for chips you can hold, but looking in my inventory or chip screen there's no real indicator of how 'full' I am with chips I'm carrying around. Any input on any of this?

all of Emil's chips (all buyable in general?) are maximum possible cost so not ideal but very useful as an easy source

As for overclock, I think it drops in the late A route factory areas. It's one of the chips you are probably best served stacking lower ranked diamonds than a +8, iirc. As for set up, top your drop rate out (90%, also iirc) and kick some butt.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

In the Japanese she says "Watashi wa... kare ni... (I want... him (to)...)" then pauses because she's getting emotional. I think it's want as in she wants him to know something.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

dazat posted:

In the Japanese she says "Watashi wa... kare ni... (I want... him (to)...)" then pauses because she's getting emotional. I think it's want as in she wants him to know something.

Okay that's what I figured it must be. Thanks a lot!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whats the best way to grind for G anywho? Friend of mine is flat out broke in C route due to Emil cleaning house on him through GREAT SALES and I dunno what to tell him. He's already pawned off his machine cores n everything.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Whats the best way to grind for G anywho? Friend of mine is flat out broke in C route due to Emil cleaning house on him through GREAT SALES and I dunno what to tell him. He's already pawned off his machine cores n everything.

1) Equip two weapons with Robot Discount
2) Jump into Chapter 7-1 and buy Meteorites from the inventor
3) Jump into Chapter 11-1 and sell the Meteorites to the vendor interface next to you
4) Repeat

You'll basically double your money each run.

E: Never mind if you're still in route C you don't have chapter select yet. I reckon doing rounds in the infinite enemy arenas in for example the housing complex area with drop rate chips should get you some valuable loot quick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

3) Jump into Chapter 11-1 and sell the Meteorites to the vendor interface next to you
4) Repeat

E: Never mind if you're still in route C you don't have chapter select yet. I reckon doing rounds in the infinite enemy arenas in for example the housing complex area with drop rate chips should get you some valuable loot quick.

Will pass it on. Watching a friend play blind is wonderful :allears:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nina posted:

4) Repeat

Do the discounts stack? I tried making two but didnt see any price change.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Ahh this game is so frustrating, I just died in route C like an hour from my last save. Turns out in route C you don't auto-respawn anymore so that's nice. I wouldn't even mind but I loving hate playing 9S, like I'm 30 hours in and it feels like most of it is with stupid hacker-boy - why does he suck at fighting so much? In the other playstyle I'm an unstoppable murder-machine - it's a lot of fun! But then 9S....

Having a playstyle where I have to stop and play a minigame a half dozen times in any serious fight, where I can't use any of the vast reserves of items and upgrades I have at my disposal, where I spend an hour screwing around on the same 'hacking encounter' because I'm bad at video games and don't get any exp or vendor trash or anything ahhhhhhhhhh

I really want to like this game, the story is breathtaking especially since I've started route C but playing 9S just sucks the joy out of the experience.

Save often guys don't be like me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm only in route b but I'm already starting to think maybe that the bad guy is in fact, me. (Please put your entire answer to this in spoilers)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sunken fleet posted:

Ahh this game is so frustrating, I just died in route C like an hour from my last save. Turns out in route C you don't auto-respawn anymore so that's nice. I wouldn't even mind but I loving hate playing 9S, like I'm 30 hours in and it feels like most of it is with stupid hacker-boy - why does he suck at fighting so much? In the other playstyle I'm an unstoppable murder-machine - it's a lot of fun! But then 9S....

Having a playstyle where I have to stop and play a minigame a half dozen times in any serious fight, where I can't use any of the vast reserves of items and upgrades I have at my disposal, where I spend an hour screwing around on the same 'hacking encounter' because I'm bad at video games and don't get any exp or vendor trash or anything ahhhhhhhhhh

I really want to like this game, the story is breathtaking especially since I've started route C but playing 9S just sucks the joy out of the experience.

I managed to kill stuff pretty fast using the laser pod and the laser program, and by hitting stuff with my sword. I used ancient overlord but I honestly don't know how much weapons influence damage. I thought the crit+ would help 9S the most.

I was surprised that the game actually lets you just spam the pod weapon constantly as you fight.

redreader posted:

I'm only in route b but I'm already starting to think maybe that the bad guy is in fact, me. (Please put your entire answer to this in spoilers)

Ever play Dark Souls? It's kind of like that.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

redreader posted:

maybe.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I only now realized Adam and Eve's resemblance to Zero and I'm full on back on the speculation train even though I know the game probably has a lot of superficial symbolism. It's painful

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

I managed to kill stuff pretty fast using the laser pod and the laser program, and by hitting stuff with my sword. I used ancient overlord but I honestly don't know how much weapons influence damage. I thought the crit+ would help 9S the most.

I was surprised that the game actually lets you just spam the pod weapon constantly as you fight.

Huh I didn't find the laser pod but yea the pod carries a lot of my easier fights. Speaking of which is there any good way to farm Pure Water? It's the upgrade reagent I'm always missing for pods. I'm midway through route C so I don't have the chapter select I see mentioned in here a lot though...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The answer to 9S Frustration is hacking only big (or annoying to reach) things and Bombing big groups of enemies. Actually, scratch that, Bomb everything. Spear is apparently his best weapon set for general combat, I just used fists and short swords. But really, just abuse pod programs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sunken fleet posted:

Huh I didn't find the laser pod but yea the pod carries a lot of my easier fights. Speaking of which is there any good way to farm Pure Water? It's the upgrade reagent I'm always missing for pods. I'm midway through route C so I don't have the chapter select I see mentioned in here a lot though...

Nope! There's a late game quest from Popola and Devola that gives you five but other than that you're going to be picking them up when you go through the flooded city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

sunken fleet posted:

I had pretty good results equipping 9S with a Large Sword and beating on stuff. Dash+attack gives a big, hearty sweep. Standing still has a pretty good combo that can hit guys from far away. His dodge-then-counter-attack is almost as good as 2B's. As long as you can make peace with the fact that you'll be batting people to death for a little while, and you can't furiously rush towards a beat-down, he's fine at normal violence.