Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Internet Kraken posted:

The master sword is lame and I'm glad you don't actually need it for anything.

It's perfect for cutting down trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Coughing Hobo posted:

Speaking of:

"In tonight's news a local man in a green tunic was arrested for cutting down all the trees in Central Park in order to help build a new village. When questioned by police, he merely made some arm motions and moved his mouth a little."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering OOT is set more than 10,000 years before BotW (I think construction of the beasts started after TP?). That ranch apparently held up a long time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It was built again in the same way because of ~*~Eternal Recurrence~*~ :iiam:

EDIT: Actually, is there any indication of exactly when the "10,000 years ago" part happened? What if all of that happened, like, before Skyward Sword, and it's just that nobody had unearthed the Guardians and Divine Beasts until Breath of the Wild's "100 years ago" time frame?

My assumption is still that this is hugely in the future from every other Zelda game, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I think that must be true.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think you mean smashing rocks for valuable ores.

(Sorry to the Kokoroks, who said expressly not to do that sort of stuff :smith:)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

It was built again in the same way because of ~*~Eternal Recurrence~*~ :iiam:

EDIT: Actually, is there any indication of exactly when the "10,000 years ago" part happened? What if all of that happened, like, before Skyward Sword, and it's just that nobody had unearthed the Guardians and Divine Beasts until Breath of the Wild's "100 years ago" time frame?

My assumption is still that this is hugely in the future from every other Zelda game, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I think that must be true.

Or maybe trying to have a Zelda timeline is a fool's errand, each game stands on its own, and just play them for fun?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Or maybe trying to have a Zelda timeline is a fool's errand, each game stands on its own, and just play them for fun?

Yes, but also it's fun to talk about the timeline stuff, too, especially since it is apparently canon now. I'm not sure how you're getting the impression that I'm not playing the game for fun :shrug:

(Also I have to admit that people getting annoyed when other people talk about timeline stuff kind of makes it more fun oh god this is the post that finally gets me probated as I accidentally admit to intentionally ruining threads for my own amusement poo poo gently caress)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Takoluka posted:

holy poo poo I never realized

I love this game

There are a lot of musical nods like that in the game. Hyrule Castle's music has Classic Opening Theme, hints of Ballad of the Wind Fish, SS's Ballad of the Goddess, and chord structure reminiscent of LttP Hyrule Castle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

There are a lot of musical nods like that in the game. Hyrule Castle's music has Classic Opening Theme, hints of Ballad of the Wind Fish, SS's Ballad of the Goddess, and chord structure reminiscent of LttP Hyrule Castle.

It even has a little bit of the Link to the Past Hyrule Castle theme in the foreground at one point, intermixed with the classic Zelda theme. It's a ridiculously good final dungeon theme.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anyone else find it odd that Spectacle Rock is no longer on Death Mountain?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering OOT is set more than 10,000 years before BotW (I think construction of the beasts started after TP?). That ranch apparently held up a long time.

A lot of things about the backstory fall apart when you think about it too hard, so save your immersion while you can

:spergin:

If you're as technologically advanced as the shekiah apparently were 10,000 years ago, why would you bury everything deep underground apparently just in a bunch of solid rock, and yet the shrines and even the much shallower activation pads are mostly just chilling on the surface? Has there been absolutely no landscape change over the course of 10,100 years? Is erosion and tectonic activity just not A Thing in the zeldaverse?

What happened to the shekiah that the entirety of their advanced civilization disappeared, but explicit stories about the Zelda+Link+Ganon thing survived with exact details about the divine machines and guardian army?

What happened to all those guardians all over the place that are destroyed and half-destroyed that aren't outside Hateno Fort? Who killed them, especially in areas where there's dozens of them? If people had the ability to kill individual guardians (Robbie does, so unless he's been sitting on that egg then at the very least the Shekiah should), how did 100 years go by with a bunch of them still just wandering all over Hyrule Field a couple hundred yards away from currently-populated stables? For that matter, why did said guardians destroy everything from Hyrule Castle straight south to the Temple of Time but for some unknown reason just stop destroying everything/killing everyone who isn't Link at some point in the last 100 years?

Why do bokoblins/moblins jump random travellers 10 feet outside Hateno but the town is completely otherwise undefended apart from a random farmer with a pitchfork? Are Ganon's monsters actually dangerous or just randomly inexplicably territorial and don't give a poo poo about you as long as you don't wander directly into their camp?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Takoluka posted:

Anyone else find it odd that Spectacle Rock is no longer on Death Mountain?

It's close enough to it that I don't really mind. Maybe Hyrule just has really active tectonic plates.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What happened to the shekiah that the entirety of their advanced civilization disappeared, but explicit stories about the Zelda+Link+Ganon thing survived with exact details about the divine machines and guardian army?

Some of this can probably just be explained with "it's magic, ain't gotta explain poo poo," especially with the shrines. The one I quoted here, what I'd guess is (barring something I missed) the story of Link, Zelda, and the Divine Beasts defeating Ganon was unearthed by archaeologists around the same time they found the Guardians and Divine Beasts in the first place. Unless there's a line somewhere that says the legend survived and they used that to go find them? I might have missed that.

I actually am kind of curious now when exactly "10,000 years ago" was. We've all sort of assumed that the Sheikah's advanced civilization was after all of the Zelda games we've already played, meaning that Breath of the Wild is significantly more than 10,000 years in the future from any other Zelda game. I think the fact that Ganon is actually called Ganon on that backstory tapestry probably points to that, since if it was any time before Ocarina of Time, well, Ganon(dorf) didn't exist yet. But if we really are more than 10,000 years after all the other Zelda games--if the Sheikah had time to develop an advanced society, fall and disappear, and then another 10,000 years pass--then wow, whatever happened to the Sheikah civilization must've been pretty bad if Hyrule is still medieval 10,000 years later. I guess maybe other civilizations rose and fell in the mean time and the current Hyrule is just the one that survived (until Calamity Ganon showed up, at least).

(Although really that's one of those things I suspect nobody thought about and so we're not supposed to think about it either. "Medieval stasis" in a fantasy setting is far from unique to Zelda.)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I really would have liked to have seen a cutscene of when Ganon emerged 10,000 years ago and was met with the combined might of a united Hyrule and legions of Guardians/Divine Beasts all just waiting for him to emerge. Ganon couldn't just "NOPE" out of there and instead got curbstomped. Apparently, the victory was so decisive that Ganon needed 10,000 years to recuperate when in other games it seems only a few centuries pass before he comes back.

Perhaps that's why we get that Zelda reference of him not saving his power to reincarnate. He got totally demolished last time and would rather swing for the fences now rather than have to wait multiple millennia.

Also re: Master Sword, even with non-linearity factored in, an added "Does Player have Master Sword: Yes" sequence is appropriate considering how built up it is in-game. Perhaps after firing the last light arrow at the giant eye, the Dark Beast Ganon falls down and you're given an opportunity to plunge the sword into his ugly mug. That's all it had to be. It needn't be vital to defeating the boss/game but a nod to the player that if you want the "good" ending, you need the weapon. I guess I just see a wasted opportunity.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What happened to all those guardians all over the place that are destroyed and half-destroyed that aren't outside Hateno Fort? Who killed them, especially in areas where there's dozens of them? If people had the ability to kill individual guardians (Robbie does, so unless he's been sitting on that egg then at the very least the Shekiah should), how did 100 years go by with a bunch of them still just wandering all over Hyrule Field a couple hundred yards away from currently-populated stables? For that matter, why did said guardians destroy everything from Hyrule Castle straight south to the Temple of Time but for some unknown reason just stop destroying everything/killing everyone who isn't Link at some point in the last 100 years?

Honestly, the "100 years" thing seems like an arbitrary grandiose number, but the lack of visual distinction between eras, the survival of characters who remember pre-stasis Link, and the not-insane mental states of Zelda & pals (who have been conscious and trapped/fighting the entire time) all add up to make it feel like less than a decade has passed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

El Burbo posted:

I went to gerudo first. The quest marker said to go in one direction so I went in the opposite direction
I didn't go Gerudo first but I also avoided where the marker said first off and ended up in Rito territory. That dungeon's reward is the best imo so I don't totally regret it but on the other hand getting the stuff from Hateno Lab first would have been nice.

Random Stranger posted:

I've done 120 shrines, I've killed Ganon, and I just now found out that skeletal lizard arms are boomerangs.
I found out the hard way that not all skeleton arms are boomerangs :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
motherfucker i do the thunder challenge bs and i still get a trial

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can anyone explain this to me:

Why does the figure that represents Link on the tapestry behind Impa (also on the back of the map that game with the Master Edition) look like Ganon/dorf? He's blue-ish green and has fiery red hair that covers all of his head and the sword is more shaped like Demise' sword than the Master Sword. Does it not even represent Link and is supposed to be the Dorf and I'm dumb? I could have sworn when you hear the story from Impa she talks about Link's role and they show the figure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game actually does try to address the Shiekah's tech and it being lost. One of the NPCs says that at some point, the general people of Hyrule came to distrust the Shiekah and their weird contraptions. The Shiekah, being a bunch of pushovers, responded by just burying it all and saying "one day you'll wish you had it". So the tech wasn't really lost; it was intentionally hidden because people didn't want it anymore. Which implies a dubious secret behind all their fancy gadgets but I haven't found anything in the game to elaborate on that. This seems like prime material for the story DLC to adress but its a Zelda game so Nintendo might not even be thinking about it.

I like to imagine the reason people started to distrust Shiekah is because someone, somewhere realized that the guardians were a massive liability that Ganon was going to take control of. I mean digging all of them up is the reason present day Hyrule got hosed over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can anyone explain this to me:

Why does the figure that represents Link on the tapestry behind Impa (also on the back of the map that game with the Master Edition) look like Ganon/dorf? He's blue-ish green and has fiery red hair that covers all of his head and the sword is more shaped like Demise' sword than the Master Sword. Does it not even represent Link and is supposed to be the Dorf and I'm dumb? I could have sworn when you hear the story from Impa she talks about Link's role and they show the figure.

I think that's just the weird tapestry style. Zelda has red skin there, too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

Honestly, the "100 years" thing seems like an arbitrary grandiose number, but the lack of visual distinction between eras, the survival of characters who remember pre-stasis Link, and the not-insane mental states of Zelda & pals (who have been conscious and trapped/fighting the entire time) all add up to make it feel like less than a decade has passed.

The "visual distinction" is kind of explainable in the short term by "100 years in a post-apocalyptic scenario where the reason for said apocalypse is still around isn't really that long a period of time", but relies on the guardians/monsters being actively dangerous and forcing people to stay in more of a survival mindset vs. expansion. And yet we create a new town in basically no time on a mountain overlook within spitting distance of a bunch of guardians, it has basically no defense, and nobody thinks that's weird so I guess ganon monsters randomly destroying towns isn't that big of an issue :shrug:

That's actually another question regarding what exactly the approximate life span of people in this game--
Zora remember Link explicitly from "when they were kids".

Riju, iirc, just took over from her dead mom who told her about Urbosa, which means she's like 3rd generation gerudo? I'd have to replay the gerudo intro section now that I know names for deets

Rito can't believe it's Link and he must be the grandchild/"descendant" of a champion, but it's unclear whether that's because their own lifespan is short or they just know Hylians in general are short-lived

Goron have people that remember their champion but I don't know how much is "knew him" vs. "he's got a giant fuckoff statue that literally overshadows the town"

The Shekiah have some older people who were around and in their prime during the initial Ganoclysm, but apparently "Shekiah" and "Hylian" are explicitly different races despite being almost completely identical in everything except hair color, and theoretically Gerudo are closer to Hylian lifespan-wise. Kass's teacher sounds like they would have been around Purah/Impa's age but I don't remember if Kass ever says whether they died of natural causes or not.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Runcible Cat posted:

Any Stalhorse fanciers might like to know that they spawn at the Ranch Ruins as well.

Though stables still won't register them.

That is so dumb. Not being able to register them just seems like a deliberate attempt to ruin fun. Why would someone make that decision??

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

FooF posted:

So what's the point of the Master Sword within the story?

In the final Ganon fight(s), there is literally no mention of it at all. Link doesn't get a final blow and the Master Sword doesn't have any more effect than any other weapon of equal strength. I get that if you don't have it then you simply make do with light arrows and whatnot but if you do have it, I guess I was expecting a tag team of Link with the Master Sword and Zelda with the binding power, per the legend. For a sword that seals the darkness, it doesn't do any sealing!

No one has tried doing a down thrust with the Master Sword on Ganon's final "eye" have they?

Actually, if you happen to have the Master Sword, if you go into the battle without a weapon equipped, it automatically equips the Master Sword and shows it blink into Ganon/darkness killing mode right before the battle starts. It just so happens that the sword itself isn't necessary in this case, just like it wasn't necessary in Zelda 1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

andipossess posted:

Actually, if you happen to have the Master Sword, if you go into the battle without a weapon equipped, it automatically equips the Master Sword and shows it blink into Ganon/darkness killing mode right before the battle starts. It just so happens that the sword itself isn't necessary in this case, just like it wasn't necessary in Zelda 1.

Oh that's right. I walked in with it equipped and it still did the blinking into glowy mode thing. It looked really cool and helped to hype up the boss fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think all of the species in the Zelda setting just live way longer than a real human does. The reason everyone freaks out about Link is because even if he could have lived over 100 years, he certainly doesn't look like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there an android app that lets a phone with NFC act as an amiibo, or do you have to buy loose tags?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's actually another question regarding what exactly the approximate life span of people in this game--

Internet Kraken posted:

I think all of the species in the Zelda setting just live way longer than a real human does. The reason everyone freaks out about Link is because even if he could have lived over 100 years, he certainly doesn't look like it.

I think Rito and Gerudo have a similar lifespan to Hylians, who I think we're supposed to assume live about the same amount of time as real life humans. So none of the living Rito or Gerudo were there 100 years ago--or at least that's the impression I got. The Rito don't believe he's the actual Champion Link because they all learned that he died and anyway Hylians don't live that long; the Gerudo chieftain, on the other hand, apparently had a good education in history. The Zora are long-lived enough that some of them were there and actually met Link. I don't think the other races are as long-lived as the Zora because the Zora story is the only one where it really matters that people actually remember Link.

Sheikah live longer than Hylians but not as long as the Zora, I'd guess. I'm basing this on how youthful Sidon is for being over 100 years old, whereas all the Sheikah we meet who are anywhere close to that age are either super old and wrinkly or Benjamin Buttoned herself.

Not too sure about the Gorons. I'd guess they're long-lived because they're basically rock people but apparently not.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 24, 2017

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Random Stranger posted:

I've done 120 shrines, I've killed Ganon, and I just now found out that skeletal lizard arms are boomerangs.

Honestly surprised that you never accidentally picked one up and tried to toss it away before that point. Then again I keep finding whole areas I haven't been in before like the Applean Forest and surrounding area and I'm getting close to where you're at: I've killed Ganon, I think I'm at like 98 shrines or something.

Until proven otherwise I'm assuming this game takes place way way the gently caress after any of the previous ones, like even the 10,000 years ago part was a long time after, and in that span of time anything that would be a conflict like it being Ganondorf instead of Ganon happened a different way. Like poo poo could still go down with the Twilight realm in another timeline, maybe they drained Hyrule after Wind Waker at some point, all bets are essentially off with this much unaccounted time.

Really the answer is just: Don't think about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Harrow posted:

I think that's just the weird tapestry style. Zelda has red skin there, too.

Given the title of Breath of the Wild and that art style, I was sure Link was gonna get a furry form.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure what the title has to do with the actual game itself :v:

Bruceski posted:

Given the title of Breath of the Wild and that art style, I was sure Link was gonna get a furry form.

I'd only be okay with them doing this again if Link got dual wolf claws as weapon ala Bloodborne.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure what the title has to do with the actual game itself :v:

Calling it The Legend of Zelda: Breath of Fresh Air would have been too on the nose :haw:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Brightman posted:

Really the answer is just: Don't think about it.

To be fair, it's fun (for me) to pick these things apart sometimes (see: the biologist examining skyrim dragon skeletons) but there's a difference between "I wonder how/what" and spitballing theories vs. "this is ruining my immersion and I can't enjoy the game until these important plot holes are filled REEEEEEEEE"

Harrow posted:

Gerudo chieftain, on the other hand, apparently had a good education in history

I think that Urbosa was just the most well-put-together champion period, because it's obvious she set up some "in the event of my death" poo poo where stuff actually got passed on instead of straight up lost to history. It does beg the question, who all knew about link taking a snooze? Zelda, Impa, Purah, Robbie? The zora king puts 2 and 2 together where Sidon didn't (again, iirc), Riju knew about it explicitly, Rito and Goron leaders didn't have a goddamn clue. Zelda in the Ganon-binding cutscene had the same battle damage as the Hateno Fort cutscene, but also the same as the Lost Woods one so she obviously had time to run some errands before making that sweet-rear end ganon egg...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plus, trees. The forest photo memory area shouldn't be recognisable after the trees have had a century to grow in, but they're identical.

Bruceski posted:

I was expecting a plot twist and Revali grabbing the Master Sword at some point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Runcible Cat posted:

Plus, trees. The forest photo memory area shouldn't be recognisable after the trees have had a century to grow in, but they're identical.

I mean Zelda shouldn't taken a photo while fleeing for her life in the first place.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean Zelda shouldn't taken a photo while fleeing for her life in the first place.

Given the content of some of the flashbacks my assumption was they were pictures that she had taken of "pleasant scenery" at random points and Link is just remembering things that also happened nearby and potentially at different times-- I mean half of the flashbacks are either "battle or immediately post-battle"

on the other hand if Link's taking selfies with charging lynels for the compendium maybe it just rubbed off on her, or vice versa

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what would be a killer "new map feature" for the summer dlc? Street view.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There should be a GTA-style map where it only shows where you've been

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

DLC is going to show that this Zelda was entirely the dream of Tingle from Wind Waker. Dude likes hanging out on high places, hence why climbing is such a big part of this game. Tingle loves maps, well this game is all about uncovering the map. Tingle isn't in the game? Tingle always dreams himself as the hero.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Quick question about the Master Sword: Can I grind shrines to fill up my stamina then use the demon statue to exchange them for 13 hearts, grab the Master sword, then switch them back to all stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

Quick question about the Master Sword: Can I grind shrines to fill up my stamina then use the demon statue to exchange them for 13 hearts, grab the Master sword, then switch them back to all stamina

Yes