Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yes it is. This is the first show in a long time that I find my eyes completely glued to the screen for the entire time. It's such a visual and intriguing treat.

I kind of wish these guys were rebooting Star Trek. They could rehash every old storyline and probably make it mind-fuckingly awesome.

If you haven't yet you should really watch Fargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

mikeraskol posted:

I want an av of Plaza mock shooting herself in the head, I loved that.

???

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Chokes McGee posted:

Although the best part of an already incredible episode was Oliver not dropping his martini being held at gunpoint.

He even took another sip :allears:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

You're a prince among men.

Now the question is what text, if any? Maybe: "And your mind? Well, I could give a poo poo about your mind."

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 24, 2017

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The biggest treat was watching this episode and then going with my wife to see beauty and the beast only to learn at the end that David is the beast

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mikeraskol posted:

Now the question is what text, if any? Maybe: "And your mind? I could give a poo poo about your mind."

"You're welcome, Lester."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrPlump posted:

Another relevant thing I noticed when David was locked in the mental coffin last episode you could head hundreds of other voices calling him stupid. I am guessing these other people in his mind might help him with the shadow king.

I'm gonna guess that the way David defeats the Shadow King is by freeing all the other voices or personalities in his head, and that will allow them to overpower and destroy or permanently imprison the Shadow King.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm gonna guess that the way David defeats the Shadow King is by freeing all the other voices or personalities in his head, and that will allow them to overpower and destroy or permanently imprison the Shadow King.

That would be a pretty smart set up for season 2's main plot - the only thing that can beat David is David.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

That would be a pretty smart set up for season 2's main plot - the only thing that can beat David is David.

Yeah, and I mean, this is called Legion and we've only seen one other voice in his head besides the Shadow King. So it would make sense to have the next season be about the actual legion in David's head.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

While I still loving love this gif it's just not as much fun without Kerry and Syd doing the same head tilt afterwards.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

mikeraskol posted:

Now the question is what text, if any? Maybe: "And your mind? Well, I could give a poo poo about your mind."

"Oh Yeah, I was killing you."

But you need to add the head tilt from the other girls.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Dragonrah posted:

"Oh Yeah, I was killing you."

But you need to add the head tilt from the other girls.

gently caress, I actually just did that but I didn't include the head tilt for the other girls. I still like it though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

gently caress, I actually just did that but I didn't include the head tilt for the other girls. I still like it though.

Honestly, with that quote, it works better without.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah cool, thanks!

If anyone still wants a Legion av I'm sure some of Plaza's expressions during the b/w silent bit would make for great avatars.

Don't know if you're still taking requests but a gif of David and/or Lenny freaking out in the coffin would be pretty rad.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah cool, thanks!

If anyone still wants a Legion av I'm sure some of Plaza's expressions during the b/w silent bit would make for great avatars.

Anyone around that can do this? vvvv

Grem posted:

Can some wizard make an avatar size gif of Lenny saying "I'm you, I'm me, I'm everything you want to be" with her little shoulder shake? I want that in me.

This is as close as someone got.

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't know how to compress and cut up gifs, but I found the part itself if you want to fiddle with it:

A smaller one with the shoulder shimmy, but not the entire line:

Grem fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 24, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo was that kill one for the ages. That poo poo would be a horror movie classic on par with Scanners in a different time.

Jesus Christ. This show understands horror better than any horror show ever and it's not even one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

Reverse "They Live" was great. Though "these glasses will show what's real" seems kinda silly when everything is a mental projection.

I was hoping someone would put up a fight about putting on the glasses that would take up 1/3 of the episode

It'd been terrible but I'd forgiven it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I have 0 Photoshop skill and can't make avatars, I was just suggesting things. Sorry :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Holy poo poo was that kill one for the ages. That poo poo would be a horror movie classic on par with Scanners in a different time.

Jesus Christ. This show understands horror better than any horror show ever and it's not even one.

The best horror writing is writing that doesn't try to be a "horror genre" at all. The writer is familiar with human failings and fears, taps into those as an antagonist, and then later looks at everyone going :stare: and is all like, wut.

(hello I have experience except for the "best" part)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, and I mean, this is called Legion and we've only seen one other voice in his head besides the Shadow King. So it would make sense to have the next season be about the actual legion in David's head.

To be fair we've seen hundreds of voice surrounding David all yelling at him for how stupid he is since the first episode. If they were also in the background yelling at him in the coffin, then they are probably not the Shadow King.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

muscles like this! posted:

If you haven't yet you should really watch Fargo.

I was thinking the same thing, especially season 2 (currently my favorite season of any television series). The use of splitscreen and music (thinking of War Pigs atm) in that show was phenomenal and, while much more constrained, definitely very similar to Legion.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think it's funny that the same "person folding into a cube" death was used in XMen Apocalypse but actually looked better here in spite of having a tiny fraction of the budget. It also mattered a hell of a lot more since we actually knew both characters here, instead of having a nobody villain killing a nobody dude.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I think it's funny that the same "person folding into a cube" death was used in XMen Apocalypse but actually looked better here in spite of having a tiny fraction of the budget. It also mattered a hell of a lot more since we actually knew both characters here, instead of having a nobody villain killing a nobody dude.

I really wouldn't say that we 'knew' The Eye. He was just generic menacing character. Might as well have been the T-1000. The surprise-rapist thing felt like it was just to make the environment be more menacing rather than something internal to him.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

AlexJade posted:

What was the eye whistling in the beginning? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG5q0FRsQd8

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hughlander posted:

I really wouldn't say that we 'knew' The Eye. He was just generic menacing character. Might as well have been the T-1000. The surprise-rapist thing felt like it was just to make the environment be more menacing rather than something internal to him.

We knew him a lot more than we knew "guy who dies seconds after being introduced." It was a well done surprise to just casually discard him.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We knew him a lot more than we knew "guy who dies seconds after being introduced." It was a well done surprise to just casually discard him.

I don't understand why he was hurt in this instance but not when people fired machine guns at him.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He's a magic man who met his match against a way more powerful magic man.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

God drat, I love this show which is a 100% turn around from my initial reaction of annoyance at the lack of giant troll hair on David.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wonder if David makes a deal with Lenny to help him learn his power (save everyone next episode) - won't free him completely, but won't keep him trapped. Season 2 keeps Lenny locked down, but still there. Because, really, can we have season 2 with no Aubrey Plaza?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Medullah posted:

I wonder if David makes a deal with Lenny to help him learn his power (save everyone next episode) - won't free him completely, but won't keep him trapped. Season 2 keeps Lenny locked down, but still there. Because, really, can we have season 2 with no Aubrey Plaza?

Lenny is a manifestation of the shadow king so I doubt he can keep her and not the SK

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm pretty sure Lenny was a real person and if he does keep personalities of people who die close to him she could easily come back along with The Eye.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lenny is a manifestation of the shadow king so I doubt he can keep her and not the SK

No, that's what I mean. I just used Lenny as the name - I wonder if they'll keep a "neutered" SK in his head. They've done it before in shows, like Crowley in Supernatural - weakened version of the original in an "uneasy" alliance.

I can see them doing that. "I can't get you out of my head permanently but I can keep you restricted." Hell, it might be preferable - if he let's SK out, he'll take over someone else - David can keep him under control, so he keeps him around.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

No, that's what I mean. I just used Lenny as the name - I wonder if they'll keep a "neutered" SK in his head. They've done it before in shows, like Crowley in Supernatural - weakened version of the original in an "uneasy" alliance.

I can see them doing that. "I can't get you out of my head permanently but I can keep you restricted." Hell, it might be preferable - if he let's SK out, he'll take over someone else - David can keep him under control, so he keeps him around.

Also a bunch of the abilities that David is using are actually the shadow kings. They also mentioned that they can't use each others powers. When David was banished to the mind coffin the SK mentioned giving up all that power.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The straight up classic Cronenberg effects helped, a lot. That and the fact he was built up to be very powerful and menacing, a threat in his own right.. only to be literally wrinkled up like a newspaper.

And good God the gore effects. Seriously I've said it before but if this happened in some crazy 80s King or Carpenter movie, it'd be an iconic movie scene. It was that well done.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

SFX is a strange beast. It might have cost them a million dollars for the effects software but now that they have it they crush people into cubes all day on the cheap.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Invalid Validation posted:

I'm pretty sure Lenny was a real person and if he does keep personalities of people who die close to him she could easily come back along with The Eye.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember they established that Lenny and his dog were both completely fake. His sister says that his friend growing up was a bum named Denny, which is how they figured out that there was something wrong with his memories.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hughlander posted:

To be fair we've seen hundreds of voice surrounding David all yelling at him for how stupid he is since the first episode. If they were also in the background yelling at him in the coffin, then they are probably not the Shadow King.

See now, I was thinking the the voices were the actual walls keeping David from wanting to leave the coffin in his mind. But them being an intrinsic part of David being exploited by the Shadow King works, too.

I mean if the show can have a bullet proof shield literally made of the word shield being sung into existence, then prison walls made of emotionally abusive voices fits.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Ownager posted:

The straight up classic Cronenberg effects helped, a lot. That and the fact he was built up to be very powerful and menacing, a threat in his own right.. only to be literally wrinkled up like a newspaper.

And good God the gore effects. Seriously I've said it before but if this happened in some crazy 80s King or Carpenter movie, it'd be an iconic movie scene. It was that well done.

The most brutal part of the whole thing was when it showed what was happening to him in the real world. loving brutal, imagine if that just happened to someone in front of you suddenly independent of the crushing into a cube part.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember they established that Lenny and his dog were both completely fake. His sister says that his friend growing up was a bum named Denny, which is how they figured out that there was something wrong with his memories.

Then who was that person Syd teleported into the wall?

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 25, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The point was that Lenny was replacing his drug dealer in David's memories, not that her existence was fake - the point of that particular reveal was that she was somewhere she shouldn't have been and that's the signifier that something's up.

And as noted, Syd recognized Lenny in the wall and apologized for killing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Didn't want to read this thread until I'd caught up with the show, and now I'm caught up with the thread and wow. This show is so layered, and I mean that in every way. Especially and outstandingly visually and aurally. You just don't see television shows do what this show is doing, with the layering of imagery and sounds, constantly having things fading into each other, superimposing over each other, creeping into different shots. It makes the show feel like they've crammed so much more than its runtime into it. Like it's uploading information into your brain using multiple tracks, instead of most shows, which only use one. I guess that's super appropriate, given the show's name and subject matter.