Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You certainly don't have to hack as 9S, but hacking trivializes the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

I had pretty good results equipping 9S with a Large Sword and beating on stuff. Dash+attack gives a big, hearty sweep. Standing still has a pretty good combo that can hit guys from far away. His dodge-then-counter-attack is almost as good as 2B's. As long as you can make peace with the fact that you'll be batting people to death for a little while, and you can't furiously rush towards a beat-down, he's fine at normal violence.

I found letting enemies bunch together and then spamming perfect-dodge + counterattack with a small sword equipped worked pretty well. It looks cool too and that's what's most important.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's hosed up that the game won't let you beat it without help. That ending falls even flatter for me.

im the guy

I did so many retries that the difficulty kept scaling downwards and downwards until it decided I just wasn't gonna pull it off and boned me. i'm 99% sure it's possible to beat, but i'm insanely lovely at bullet hells

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redreader posted:

I'm only in route b but I'm already starting to think maybe that the bad guy is in fact, me. (Please put your entire answer to this in spoilers)
For what it's worth, i thought the same thing at that point - the game is only as subtle as it wants to be so i'm sure it's a pretty common feeling, and very likely intentional. The game has more in store, enjoy the ride!

Snak posted:

You certainly don't have to hack as 9S, but hacking trivializes the entire game.
I really really liked the hacking minigame and basically used it for 90% of enemies for like 25 hours + obligatory endgame, though i wish it had (a lot) more variants or harder arenas. It's insanely overpowered and idiot proof even on the highest difficulties to a point where it feels intentionally broken to let you cruise through route B and bosses. But i imagine the game becomes excruciatingly frustrating for people who don't share that feeling, and it feels a bit like a bait n switch if you're not prepared for it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think that the superiority of the hacking minigame in combat is an intentional attempt to get you to overuse it and become numb to its aesthetic, because the game pulls some real suckerpunches using the hacking minigame's layout later on, and they come as genuine shocks.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Vermain posted:

I think that the superiority of the hacking minigame in combat is an intentional attempt to get you to overuse it and become numb to its aesthetic, because the game pulls some real suckerpunches using the hacking minigame's layout later on, and they come as genuine shocks.
Oh yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if that was (at least partly) intentional, and Yoko Taro seems like the kind of guy who totally goes for that even if it probably causes a significant number of players to put the game down.

Like for example in the endgame i now just hit lvl 76 and the secret optional bunny boss dies in a single hack. Yes, the very first hack before he even activates instakills him. This is on Hard (though i doubt the difficulty matters at that point). The same fight with 2B at level 85 + lvl 4 weapons takes over 10 minutes, and he one shots me through pod shield, 14k hp, defense up buff and 30% melee res chip setups without breaking a sweat.

side note: i really enjoyed some of your posts in this thread, keep it up

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the voice changer is loving hilarious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snak posted:

Oh my god the voice changer is loving hilarious.

I played the entire intro stage with 9S and it on. At one point near the end he yells what amounts to a loving dinosaur screeching and I couldn't believe it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It you turn it all the way up it goes from chipmunk to unintelligible computer sounds.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Welp, beat the game.

Thank you for reading

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress the "Emil's Determination" quest. gently caress everything. gently caress life. gently caress existence. I'm going to go sob in a corner now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, why would you hide a pod behind fishing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

I've had pretty good luck with everything you have to fish for. Like 5 tries.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So what is the actual reason for machines to have created Project YoRHa?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

I've had pretty good luck with everything you have to fish for. Like 5 tries.

I got lucky with the weapon, but the pod in the flooded city took a while.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm lovin' this poo poo:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nina posted:

I only now realized Adam and Eve's resemblance to Zero and I'm full on back on the speculation train even though I know the game probably has a lot of superficial symbolism. It's painful

If anyone's like Zero, it's A2. In her shot of Ending E, she's even surrounded by doves.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I found out I locked myself permanently out of Ending Y in this semi-complete file; I want to send it off E-style so I can start over with a nice, methodical approach that involves actually collecting archives and weapons as I progress instead of finding everything after getting Ending C. I'm kind of worried, though, that when you accept aid and get the convoy of death, taking hits actually destroys that data forever and stops them from helping other players! Is it possible to legitimately finish Ending E without accepting help?

E:

Jack Trades posted:

Well, the file '[Top Secret] Project YoRHa' seems to explicitly outline it as a plan by the Android top command to boost the morale of androids worldwide; it mentions Classification level 'SS', which is in line with other Android files. Without humans to serve/protect, everyone was losing their will to continue. According to that Project file and the Disposal file, the YoRHa project was cyclical; each new generation of overtuned androids would reinforce the Council of Humanity narrative, get wiped out, and the data from their battles would be used to create a new generation. Conveniently, this, in conjunction with the E-line of models, would also prevent advanced units like 9S from discovering or spreading the truth about the Council.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 25, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

The aliens designed the machines to be able to learn and grow through conflict, to be better at fighting. The machines want to continue to evolve so they need an enemy to fight.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

From 4chan, on ending E:

>>371645714
On a surface level it's 042 battling his own directives to save main characters.

Taro basically gives you control over Automata's narrative by allowing you to symbolically destroy the entire developer team. You and other players are going against the designed ending of the game to give all main characters a new chance at life not controlled by his narrative anymore.

So all your headcanons about post-E ending are legit, you're the ones who made this ending possible. That's why i doubt he will ever substantially touch on post-E ending.

It's postmodern as gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zeerust posted:

I found out I locked myself permanently out of Ending Y in this semi-complete file; I want to send it off E-style so I can start over with a nice, methodical approach that involves actually collecting archives and weapons as I progress instead of finding everything after getting Ending C. I'm kind of worried, though, that when you accept aid and get the convoy of death, taking hits actually destroys that data forever and stops them from helping other players! Is it possible to legitimately finish Ending E without accepting help?

E:

Well, the file '[Top Secret] Project YoRHa' seems to explicitly outline it as a plan by the Android top command to boost the morale of androids worldwide; it mentions Classification level 'SS', which is in line with other Android files. Without humans to serve/protect, everyone was losing their will to continue. According to that Project file and the Disposal file, the YoRHa project was cyclical; each new generation of overtuned androids would reinforce the Council of Humanity narrative, get wiped out, and the data from their battles would be used to create a new generation. Conveniently, this, in conjunction with the E-line of models, would also prevent advanced units like 9S from discovering or spreading the truth about the Council.

So to get that ending do you have to let him self destruct, then reload your save to do it right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm lovin' this poo poo:

Exactly my thoughts when it happened.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Project Yorha was a thing put together by the "command" androids in order to raise the morale of all the androids fighting the machine lifeforms. They spread a rumor that there were still humans living on the moon, and they developed new Yorha model androids, based on the data gained by the prototypes they sent in the Pearl Harbor attack (A2 and the others). At the same time, the machines realized that their entire purpose of existence was to "defeat the enemy", but if they actually annihilated the androids, then they would cease to have a purpose. So they caused themselves to deteriorate, resulting in machines like Pascal and the Forest King.

The location of the "command" androids is left intentionally unknown, but they probably live in other satellites around Earth. They reference these satellites a lot. Essentially, both the machines and the androids found equal purposelessness in existence. The androids no longer had humanity to protect, and the machines would have no target to battle. The tower thing and Adam and Eve were the machines attempt to break out of the current paradigm.

The final part of the Yorha project was its destruction. I'm not precisely sure why they needed to do that part, but it says it's for the purpose of completing the falsification of the existence of humans on the moon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Everyone that knew the origins of Project YorHa was part of this first iteration of YorHa. No one in the next iteration will know. The secret will be completely dead and the charade completely automated. YorHa is designed to be itertive, with each new YorHa being based on information gathered from the previous one. Androids living on the surface will believe that this is the result of humanity on the moon continuing to build better androids to win the war.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Nuebot posted:

So to get that ending do you have to let him self destruct, then reload your save to do it right?

Yeah, exactly. It's the one ending that you can miss; I was just a little too trigger-happy after 10 minutes of panicked strafing against the most intensely emotionally crushing boss this game ever sent at me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Everyone that knew the origins of Project YorHa was part of this first iteration of YorHa. No one in the next iteration will know. The secret will be completely dead and the charade completely automated. YorHa is designed to be itertive, with each new YorHa being based on information gathered from the previous one. Androids living on the surface will believe that this is the result of humanity on the moon continuing to build better androids to win the war.

When do they say it's going to repeat itself? I only have 67% archives done. From my understanding, Yorha was a one time thing. Like, under Yorha Disposal, it doesn't sound like they're planning on doing it again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Which thing are you guys talking about?

Also, where the gently caress is Emil's house? I've looked fuckin everywhere...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Snak posted:

pipes, central city

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Snak posted:

I'm talking about the second Emil boss in the desert. At the end, the final head tries to self-destruct; if you don't destroy it first, I guess it's a real-rear end game over.

There's a pipe sticking out of a wall with water coming out of it after the Goliath fight in the City Ruins. You go up it and you'll find an elevator you need a key for; get allllllll the way to the bottom and explore around, and you'll find it. Also, there's a pool of water to get some fishing in, which is the real priority here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

When do they say it's going to repeat itself? I only have 67% archives done. From my understanding, Yorha was a one time thing. Like, under Yorha Disposal, it doesn't sound like they're planning on doing it again.

I mean, I guess it could be a one-time thing, but considering it's purpose is to collect combat data to make a new generation of combat androids, I don't see why they won't just need another one eventually. I guess you're right? It's not iterative, just short sighted? If it's not a dev cycle, I don't know why they have to be sacrificed.

Edit:

Zeerust posted:

I'm talking about the second Emil boss in the desert. At the end, the final head tries to self-destruct; if you don't destroy it first, I guess it's a real-rear end game over.

There's a pipe sticking out of a wall with water coming out of it after the Goliath fight in the City Ruins. You go up it and you'll find an elevator you need a key for; get allllllll the way to the bottom and explore around, and you'll find it. Also, there's a pool of water to get some fishing in, which is the real priority here.
Where is this in relation to the pipe that leads to the flooded city? Thats the only​ pipe I know about.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Snak posted:

I mean, I guess it could be a one-time thing, but considering it's purpose is to collect combat data to make a new generation of combat androids, I don't see why they won't just need another one eventually. I guess you're right? It's not iterative, just short sighted? If it's not a dev cycle, I don't know why they have to be sacrificed.

Edit:

Where is this in relation to the pipe that leads to the flooded city? Thats the only​ pipe I know about.

you know where speed star's 3rd race ends?
go to that spot and look at the wall

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

From 4chan, on ending E:

>>371645714
On a surface level it's 042 battling his own directives to save main characters.

Taro basically gives you control over Automata's narrative by allowing you to symbolically destroy the entire developer team. You and other players are going against the designed ending of the game to give all main characters a new chance at life not controlled by his narrative anymore.

So all your headcanons about post-E ending are legit, you're the ones who made this ending possible. That's why i doubt he will ever substantially touch on post-E ending.

It's postmodern as gently caress.

This reminded me that I wanted to talk about ending E in comparison to the other final endings in Yoko Taro games.

The original drakengard forced the player to get all the weapons in the game to see the final endings. With those final endings being the most bizarre things imaginable. Ending E being a massive gently caress you in terms of genre shift, requiring the player to perfectly input button presses in a short amount of time. The reward for that being Caim and red dying in Tokyo, and Nier coming along to say "oh also the world is going to end now, sucks to be you!"

It's just dripping in contempt for the player and is almost cruel to the point of sadistic. There's no even point to it.

Nier and drakengard 3 are both similar in their requirements and final endings in my opinion. They both require all weapons, both of their payoffs to the player depends on the amount of love the player has for the characters. Like nier and Kaine? You'll love ending D and feel like it was worth it. Care about Zero and Mikhail? Then ending D will give you a payoff...though not a happy one. Nier asks for more as it's pound of flesh of course, but the payoff and reason for getting there is no more different than in D3.

Automata though, is almost a mirror of Drakengards ending E. It starts off similar, you get 4 endings of various quality, mindfuckery, and answers given. It even continues with a genre shift that can be really hard to nierly (:v:) impossible to beat. But instead of letting the player fight on their own, they get help from others and truly drive in that the world is working together for a happier ending. Afterwards, the payoff is something small: a short scene showing that 2B, 9S, and A2 will be alive again. Again, this almost mirrors drakengard. Instead of a message of "lol nothing matters", it's incredibly deterministic and saying "You've done what you can to give them a happy ending, but for them to have that happy ending, only the characters can truly decide that."

It's kind of incredible to see Yoko Taro grow so much in his games, and yet I think it's also revealing that the happiest ending in any of his games is "Well maybe you did enough that the characters are able to make their lives better."

I really love this game and just wrote a bunch of dumb words about video games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fereydun posted:

you know where speed star's 3rd race ends?
go to that spot and look at the wall

I do not. Thanks for trying to help, though :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

I do not. Thanks for trying to help, though :)

It's a gigantic pipe just look way above the crater you seriously cannot miss seeing it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Edit:

I think they just like having combat data in general. I dunno.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Project Yorha was a thing put together by the "command" androids in order to raise the morale of all the androids fighting the machine lifeforms. They spread a rumor that there were still humans living on the moon, and they developed new Yorha model androids, based on the data gained by the prototypes they sent in the Pearl Harbor attack (A2 and the others). At the same time, the machines realized that their entire purpose of existence was to "defeat the enemy", but if they actually annihilated the androids, then they would cease to have a purpose. So they caused themselves to deteriorate, resulting in machines like Pascal and the Forest King.

The location of the "command" androids is left intentionally unknown, but they probably live in other satellites around Earth. They reference these satellites a lot. Essentially, both the machines and the androids found equal purposelessness in existence. The androids no longer had humanity to protect, and the machines would have no target to battle. The tower thing and Adam and Eve were the machines attempt to break out of the current paradigm.

The final part of the Yorha project was its destruction. I'm not precisely sure why they needed to do that part, but it says it's for the purpose of completing the falsification of the existence of humans on the moon.

One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not the data core with the genome on the moon is real. Making a second layer doesn't seem to benefit anyone since it's not presented as a final fall-back plan or anything, everyone in the know says that all the humans are dead and this isn't for anything. I think it still exists, and the core is a memorial for the machines sort of like how the Library in the first game had little models of all the bosses you gruesomely murdered but I'm not sure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a gigantic pipe just look way above the crater you seriously cannot miss seeing it.

Found it. Thanks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

King of Solomon posted:

Because the game literally tells you where to find it. :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not the data core with the genome on the moon is real. Making a second layer doesn't seem to benefit anyone since it's not presented as a final fall-back plan or anything, everyone in the know says that all the humans are dead and this isn't for anything. I think it still exists, and the core is a memorial for the machines sort of like how the Library in the first game had little models of all the bosses you gruesomely murdered but I'm not sure.

Part of project yorha says that around 4200 CE humans went extinct, and the genetic data on the replicants and gestalts was sent to the moon. BUt you know what now I',m confused. The intro video at the Bunker says that the aliens invaded in like 5012 AD... I'm not sure how that works out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Part of project yorha says that around 4200 CE humans went extinct, and the genetic data on the replicants and gestalts was sent to the moon. BUt you know what now I',m confused. The intro video at the Bunker says that the aliens invaded in like 5012 AD... I'm not sure how that works out

Humans went extinct before the aliens invaded, it's that simple. The game even explains what caused them to go extinct in the archive files you find.