Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Stripes has a full on kitchen in it with a bunch of fried items as well. I have zero problems with the local Valero hot dogs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Enourmo posted:

It seems to be about 50/50 in Orlando whether a given station will have handle locks or not.

That's cause you're not going to wawa. Everyone in Orlando I've been to has them. Coincidentally, they have good gas station food. Plus I fill out the surveys on the receipts and got a free $100 gift card last year, so :toot:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cacafuego posted:

That's cause you're not going to wawa. Everyone in Orlando I've been to has them. Coincidentally, they have good gas station food. Plus I fill out the surveys on the receipts and got a free $100 gift card last year, so :toot:

this is the orlando truth

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm glad edd left wheeler dealers. The last few seasons have not been particularly good.

"here is a ford bronco."
"oh the things need replacing
"here is the shell of a new bronco"
"ok we went ahead and replaced everything it took 3802 hours and we are done now here is the final product"

come on

Anything discovery channel and company touches these days , turns into a "reality show". With the wacky hi-jinks of the moron assistant, the pranks in the shop, etc. etc. It's garbage.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-HK-npZvg

Australian dashcam footage. So many people not understanding the concept of lanes and which direction they should be traveling in those lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-HK-npZvg

Also "You silly person!"

Do you put baby oil on your roads or do half the cars have bald tires?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skCAIl_Ze4

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I'm gonna be really sad when the McElroys become enormously famous and turn into douchebags.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
What does the inside of a singular gas station pump hose look like? Are there three separate lines inside for 87, 89, 93? Or is it one hose and when you select 93, you're most likely getting a decent amount of 87 initially?

Edit: According to the internet, 1 tube and potentially 0.22gallons for a 10' hose based on some random guys back of the envelope calculation.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 24, 2017

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

atothesquiz posted:

What does the inside of a singular gas station pump hose look like? Are there three separate lines inside for 87, 89, 93? Or is it one hose and when you select 93, you're most likely getting a decent amount of 87 initially?

Edit: According to the internet, 1 tube and potentially 0.22gallons for a 10' hose based on some random guys back of the envelope calculation.

But I wonder if there's a one-way valve at the handle to admit air into the line? Combine this with a pump that lets fuel backflow when its shut off instead of holding pressure, a lot of the fuel in the hose could siphon back into the holding tank underground.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Its possible? However every time I've filled up the 5 gallon tank for my yard equipment, the fuel seems primed and ready to go as soon as I pull the trigger.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
There's probably transfer pump that starts pressurizing the line once you select a fuel grade, it could take a second or two, but when you finally squeeze the trigger it's primed.

I worked the fuel docks at a marina through high school and the hoses there were easily 50' long. I noticed the lines stayed pressurized after the pump was shut off, and I got the genius idea to bleed the pressure into a little 1-gal jerry can I kept behind the office shack. The next boater would pay for the 'missing' fuel when I started their pump. I think 1/4 pint of fuel squirted out each time, it took a week to fill the jug and I never got the courage to walk it to the parking lot.

Stupid loving scam, it would have been awesome getting fired & arrested over $4.50 worth of gas.

e: have to mention, this was in the 2000s and the pumps were easily from the 60's or 70's. I'd have to sit at the pump and watch to count how many times the price odometer rolled over. :100bux::100bux::100bux::100bux::100bux: Not sure what kind of tech goes into modern fuel nozzles.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Powershift posted:

Am i the only one here who stands right beside the nozzle the entire time it's filling, and removes it immediately after it's done?

How packed is your schedule that you can't just stand there and sniff gas fumes for 3 minutes?

Our social democrat hellhole (or the neighboring one or the other one besides it) does not have locking nozzles, and as I understand, never has had any. How does anyone think that as a good idea?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

atothesquiz posted:

fuel seems primed and ready to go as soon as I pull the trigger.

My local stations aren't ready as soon as I hit the trigger, but I'm in CA so it might be affected by clean air laws - pressurized hose as a possible source of gasoline vapors or something?

I know nothing about gas pumps but boy howdy the local CA ones are really intense about covering any gap between nozzle and gas tank filler neck because otherwise vapors might escape.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

otherwise vapors might escape.
Does it take long enough to prime that you feel you're Waiting For The Weekend?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Der Kyhe posted:

Our social democrat hellhole (or the neighboring one or the other one besides it) does not have locking nozzles, and as I understand, never has had any. How does anyone think that as a good idea?

In 20 years of pumping gas in the US I've have a pump overflow once. Seems like a pretty good record and so I'm not concerned about the safely of latching. If you drive off with the nozzle in your car, aknowledge that you're a space cadet and pay more attention in the future; you're probably doing some minor damage to your car to help you remember, anyway.

Around me (Northern Virginia is where I pump 95% of my gas) all the pumps have stage 2 vapor recovery systems that suck vapors back to the underground tank. The hose has a supply and vapor return line internally.

They're phasing them out I guess since cars have internal vapor recovery stuff? I dunno.

Pumps, generally, have 2 pumps for the 2 tanks, one of 87 octane and one of 93. They mix these together, or don't, to get the grade of gas you select. The hose is whatever was last in there up to the valve in the handle. There's the metering hardware and the electronics and that's about it.

This one is pretty simple:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

glynnenstein posted:

In 20 years of pumping gas in the US I've have a pump overflow once. Seems like a pretty good record and so I'm not concerned about the safely of latching. If you drive off with the nozzle in your car, aknowledge that you're a space cadet and pay more attention in the future; you're probably doing some minor damage to your car to help you remember, anyway.

Around me (Northern Virginia is where I pump 95% of my gas) all the pumps have stage 2 vapor recovery systems that suck vapors back to the underground tank. The hose has a supply and vapor return line internally.

They're phasing them out I guess since cars have internal vapor recovery stuff? I dunno.

Pumps, generally, have 2 pumps for the 2 tanks, one of 87 octane and one of 93. They mix these together, or don't, to get the grade of gas you select. The hose is whatever was last in there up to the valve in the handle. There's the metering hardware and the electronics and that's about it.

This one is pretty simple:

Wait... so the pump is actually STEALING my gas?
Also what's up fellow NOVA goon?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It came up on Cartalk about a million years ago that you could connivingly depress the handle of the pump and drain the hose of remaining fuel after you finish pumping. That way you get the bonus gas from the person who pumped ahead of you and the bonus gas you would leave behind for the next person.

This breaks the social contract.

e: Anderson Sunoco on Lee Highway at Harrison St in N. Arlington is where I get basically all my gas (at 5:45am heading to work, late).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll stop trying to drain the hose into my tank when the hose stops trying to drip gas down the side of my car when I remove the nozzle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

glynnenstein posted:

It came up on Cartalk about a million years ago that you could connivingly depress the handle of the pump and drain the hose of remaining fuel after you finish pumping. That way you get the bonus gas from the person who pumped ahead of you and the bonus gas you would leave behind for the next person.

e: Anderson Sunoco on Lee Highway at Harrison St in N. Arlington is where I get basically all my gas (at 5:45am heading to work, late).

Oh poo poo, I remember that episode!
You should check out Duck Donuts next time you get gas.

On topic: Seven Corners is terrible car stuff.
Link for all you not NOVA goons - https://goo.gl/maps/G2U6UrVMPVq

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

glynnenstein posted:

Also featured in Steal This Book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GAS STATION FOOD

When I was 13 we lived in South Dakota and there was a gas station about a mile from my house that had the most amazing pizza by the slice. It was so good that every slice I've eaten since doesn't measure up.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On topic: Seven Corners is terrible car stuff.
Link for all you not NOVA goons - https://goo.gl/maps/G2U6UrVMPVq

I commuted through there daily for a year and a half :shepicide:

I'm not sure if my current commute on bus+metro is better or worse :smith:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

glynnenstein posted:

IIRC, the conclusion was that you'd get such a minuscule amount that not only would you be an rear end in a top hat, you'd be a weird rear end in a top hat.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There used to be an old guy around here who used the pump hose gas to run his moped. He'd sit patently and wait for each pump to get used and push the moped from pump to pump.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Rhyno posted:

GAS STATION FOOD

When I was 13 we lived in South Dakota and there was a gas station about a mile from my house that had the most amazing pizza by the slice. It was so good that every slice I've eaten since doesn't measure up.

Was it a Casey's by chance? I'll grab a slice there when I'm on the road and need lunch.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

xzzy posted:

I'll stop trying to drain the hose into my tank when the hose stops trying to drip gas down the side of my car when I remove the nozzle.

Ya gotta shake it afore ya stash it.
Didnt yo daddy teach you

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone here actually eaten a gas station hot dog or burrito?

QuikTrip, but that's basically cheating.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Eat This Glob posted:

Was it a Casey's by chance? I'll grab a slice there when I'm on the road and need lunch.

Casey's taco pizza 4 lyfe. :respek:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
A Casey's just opened about 5 minutes from me. Gonna have to check that out.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Gas pump nozzles are designed not to release the gas in the hose unless the pump is running, providing pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3phjAQZdGg

So, you can't really go around getting the last bit of gas out of the hose, since the valve won't release any gas unless the pump is running.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Exactly. You can't dump the hose. That's bullshit.

The moped guy story sounds either fake, or he's getting maybe 1/2 an oz from the tip of the nozzle and having to do it 200 times (because mopeds generally carry a gallon)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well I saw him doing it, so you know... believe me or don't.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LongDarkNight posted:

Do you put baby oil on your roads or do half the cars have bald tires?

Rain can be a rare thing in Australia during summer, so as soon as the first rains hit the roads, weeks of oil/slimy grime rises to the top and causes instant oversteer.

Of course young drivers/P Platers in RWD cars don't realise that. I'm not sure what was going on with the Micra though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That happens in Arizona too :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Q_res posted:

So Velocity is going to ruin the show trying to save a dime. Leave it to an American company to buy a golden goose just to cut it open trying to get to the eggs.

Edd is exactly right. I watched Wheeler Dealers for him, not Mike.

Eat This Glob posted:

I pay $15 more per month on my PS Vue package to get Velocity, almost entirely for Wheeler Dealers. Love that show, mainly for Edd's work in the shop, which has been excellent at showing novice mechanics like my wife and me why he's doing what he's doing and what the function is on a part. That's a bummer, but hey, an extra $15 bucks in my pocket isn't so bad.

When you cancel it, be sure and write to Velocity, and let them know why you canceled (they hosed up.)

spog posted:

I don't think that the recent producers understand the real appeal of the show: they seem to think that more people will want to watch if it is about flipping cars and making a few bucks.

They don't realise that for some of us, the high point is watching a rusty suspension being stripped down and rebuilt.

With Car SOS, I genuinely look forward to the bits where they repair vinyl seat covers

This. It's not about Mike. It's all Edd. Any fuckwit can buy and sell cars. In fact, he does.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone confirm for me that you have places in America that have a single pump handle that supplies different grades of fuel? Maybe i haven't read the last page or so correctly.

Because if that's true, that's the weirdest poo poo that has come out of this discussion for me. Every petrol station I've ever seen has separate nozzles for each grade. I've seen 91/95/98* and diesel all on the one machine, with four separate nozzles

*We measure octane differently to you, not sure what the equivalents are.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Memento posted:

Someone confirm for me that you have places in America that have a single pump handle that supplies different grades of fuel? Maybe i haven't read the last page or so correctly.

Because if that's true, that's the weirdest poo poo that has come out of this discussion for me. Every petrol station I've ever seen has separate nozzles for each grade. I've seen 91/95/98* and diesel all on the one machine, with four separate nozzles

I've never seen a pump with more than 1 handle unless it also supplies diesel and I've been in like 20 states so far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Rain can be a rare thing in Australia during summer, so as soon as the first rains hit the roads, weeks of oil/slimy grime rises to the top and causes instant oversteer.
This is true in a lot of places, including the UK. First rain in a while simply chases the greasiness up out the tarmac. It's either :getin: or :supaburn: depending on your mood at the time.

Buhbuhj posted:

I've never seen a pump with more than 1 handle unless it also supplies diesel and I've been in like 20 states so far.
Well, we've started getting those one-nozzle touchscreen drink dispensers here, so maybe this is next.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Yeah, I just bought gas today at a pump with three grades and one hose. Most of them are like that here. If you're buying 10 gallons, a couple ounces of the wrong grade left in the hose don't make any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Most gas stations built/remodeled since the mid-2000s have a single handle. Multiple pump handles still exist but it's usually at small independent or way out of the way stations.