Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

NmareBfly posted:

Because now that I think of that just goes to show how much belter babies are valued. Earth babies happen on Earth, Mars babies happen on Mars. Belter nurseries are farms because the 'people' that emerge just more grist for the mill for the inners to chew up and digest. I initially forgot that these are belter kids we're talking about.

What? Ganymede is a farm in the traditional sense of providing crops for food--hence the greenhouse domes and orbital mirrors. It just also happens to be a good place to go and have kids. "Farm" isn't some weird pejorative implying the low value of belter life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Baronjutter posted:

The whole economy and living conditions in the expanse is really lovely. It all feels like super short term temporary infrastructure that's been pressed into long term service without any long term plan...

Literally what the world is now.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

This is why everyone should be living on self-sufficient space wheels or space tubes. The whole economy and living conditions in the expanse is really lovely. It all feels like super short term temporary infrastructure that's been pressed into long term service without any long term plan because who the gently caress cares about belters so long as the resources keep coming. And the belters of course see none of the profit of their own labour so have no resources to improve things. The entire belt is like a giant company town.

Well the cost of those things are probably pretty prohibitive. Like people on Earth and Mars would get pissy if you diverted a bunch of resources from them to build a fancy space town for rich people. It's a universe with limited resources and that has some consequences.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So Star Helix are basically local belter mercs that the "inners" hire to impose their rule on various belt colonies and installations?

Yes, it's literally colonialism 101

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was going to ask when belters are going to start getting their hands chopped off for not meeting ice quotas but that's pretty much the opening scene in the series.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Baronjutter posted:

I was going to ask when belters are going to start getting their hands chopped off for not meeting ice quotas but that's pretty much the opening scene in the series.

The Belgian Congo has been inspiring SF writers for decades :allears:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Another thing to consider is that any non-Belter ship would be a prime target for pirates, and with Earth and Mars in the middle of a massive military crisis, they're not likely to want to allocate warships to guard any potential relief effort even if they cared enough to try and send one. The more radical factions of the OPA are gaining more power, and I bet any inner transport ship full of supplies would look like a great target to them.

"We commandeered this shipment of goods that were going to feed the Inyalowda soldiers who wrecked Eros and Ganymede and give it to the Belters who need it." is probably a statement that Dawes or the more radical factions of the OPA could use to great effect.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

theghostpt posted:

There are no silent J's in Portuguese damnit :redass:

Other than that, good episode, Avasarala owns.

Yeah but Hanus isn't funny.

I teasing dude I know Portuguese J is not the same as Spanish J.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A bunch of relief ships from Earth will just get turned away/shot at because they might actually be chock full of troops and surface to orbit guns or whatever. And a bunch of Martian relief ships starting the however many week journey to Ganymede are just begging to get interdicted by Earth for the same reason.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I felt like this was the weakest episode of the entire season so far. Like...nothing really happened.

But Weeping Somnambulist is an awesome name

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subyng posted:

I felt like this was the weakest episode of the entire season so far. Like...nothing really happened.

Avasarala's lines alone made it amazing though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have so much respect for that actress for so many reasons, but one of the best things is how at the drop of a hat she can just exude power.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Benagain posted:

I have so much respect for that actress for so many reasons, but one of the best things is how at the drop of a hat she can just exude power.

I never got why people liked Avasarala in the books so much. I didn't dislike her really but the whole "grandma with an attitude" never really did it for me. Shohreh Aghdashloo's take on her though has made her probably my favourite character on the show. Every scene with her is amazing. That whole interview scene with Bobbie was great.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

johnsonrod posted:

I never got why people liked Avasarala in the books so much. I didn't dislike her really but the whole "grandma with an attitude" never really did it for me. Shohreh Aghdashloo's take on her though has made her probably my favourite character on the show. Every scene with her is amazing. That whole interview scene with Bobbie was great.

I liked her immediately because I immediately had Aghdashloo's voice in my head when she's just swearing at people, dropping sick burns on others, and generally being the most powerful woman on Earth.

So, when they announced the casting...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nice.

Edit: The Emmys for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress should go to Aghdashloo and her voice, respectively.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Subyng posted:

Holden was running out of things to mope about. Phew, close one.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

gohmak posted:

After a devastating nuclear apocalypse wiped out almost all life on Earth. The only known survivors lived on twelve space stations in Earth's orbit prior to the apocalyptic event. The space stations banded together to form a single massive station called "The Ark", where about 2,400 people live under the leadership of Chancellor Jaha.[1] Resources are scarce, so all crimes – regardless of their nature or severity – are punishable by ejection into space ("floating") unless the perpetrator is under 18 years of age.

After the Ark's life-support systems are found to be critically failing, 100 juvenile prisoners are declared "expendable" and sent to the surface – near former Washington, D.C.[8] – in a last ditch attempt to determine whether Earth is habitable again, in a program called "The 100". The teens arrive in a drop ship on a seemingly pristine planet they have only seen from space. They attempt to find refuge and supplies at an old military installation, Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. However, they land some distance from the intended target and soon face other problems. Confronting both the wonders and the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community.

lol what synopsis is this from? Dang, I wanna watch that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol what synopsis is this from? Dang, I wanna watch that.

Show called The 100, I stopped watching cause it got very teen drama-y. Not sure if I should try again...

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

This works in both directions, going from high g to low and vice versa. Special effects budgets limit it on screen but martians or lunies or belters on low g stations should be seen bouncing down hallways and caroming around corners like parkour practitioners on crack cocaine while Earthers would have to concentrate on walking down the hall without accidentally jumping five feet in the air.

One of the books mentioned how hard it is for earthers/martians to keep up with a belter on the float.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

AirborneNinja posted:

One of the books mentioned how hard it is for earthers/martians to keep up with a belter on the float.

Not just the float, it would also show up on Mars / Luna / Eros etc

First time you tried to run you'd find yourself jumping ten feet in the air.

https://youtu.be/HKdwcLytloU

Keep.in mind that suit weighs 180lbs.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 25, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Smiling Jack posted:

Not just the float, it would also show up on Mars / Luna / Eros etc

First time you tried to run you'd find yourself jumping ten feet in the air.

https://youtu.be/HKdwcLytloU

Keep.in mind that suit weighs 180lbs.

:eng101:

No it doesn't. It masses 81.6 kg and weights around 30 lbs.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:eng101:

No it doesn't. It masses 81.6 kg and weights around 30 lbs.

Pretty sure the A7L weighs about 180-200lbsand sources back me up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo/Skylab_A7L

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Uh... In that video, it does not weigh 180-200 lbs.

That's why the distinction between weight and mass exists.

:thejoke:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

My point is that the suit weighs 180lbs in earth gravity, so keep that in mind when watching the video.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Smiling Jack posted:

The show actually goes a bit more in depth than the books, there's a big difference between training there, living there, and growing up there, as referenced by the magic bone density pills (which I guess are either hideously expensive or have massive long term side effexts or all the Martians would take them)

It wouldn't be worth it unless you were going to Earth. Bone density is loss is a serious concern of any long term space mission in the current day.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wouldn't be worth it unless you were going to Earth. Bone density is loss is a serious concern of any long term space mission in the current day.

Yes, which is why they should be taking magic bone pill on Mars as well but they aren't.

Unless magic bone pill is only effective at higher G... Okay that makes sense

Anyway NASA did a year long study on a pair of twins, https://www.google.com/amp/amp.space.com/35527-nasa-astronaut-twins-study-early-results.html

This was a one year study conducted on adults, imagine the differences if one of them had been born and raised in a low g environment.

Born and raised in a zero g environment would be :wtc: if it's even possible

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 25, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Apparently low G fucks up your eyes pretty bad due to fluid build up in (around?) the brain. No telling what that will do long term or during childhood development.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

I think it was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress which mentioned lunar babies having to be born via c-section otherwise their skull would be crushed by their mothers pelvic bones. The Expanses description of belters having oversized egg heads would probably cause some birthing troubles.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes, which is why they should be taking magic bone pill on Mars as well but they aren't.

Unless magic bone pill is only effective at higher G... Okay that makes sense

Anyway NASA did a year long study on a pair of twins, https://www.google.com/amp/amp.space.com/35527-nasa-astronaut-twins-study-early-results.html

This was a one year study conducted on adults, imagine the differences if one of them had been born and raised in a low g environment.

That study was specifically for the effect of micro gravity on humans though. We still don't know how much gravity is required to prevent those kind of negative effects (vision impairment, bone density and muscle loss etc). That's because we've never had humans living in a low g environment for longer than Apollo 17 which was about 3 days. There was a Centrifuge Module proposed for the ISS to study that but it was cancelled. That's also another reason some people want to see a long term lunar mission, so we can see what the effects of low g (0.16 of earths on the moon) on the human body.

It could turn out that living in low g isn't all that bad for you.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It wouldn't shock me if Mars-like or maybe even Moon-like gravity were enough for mostly normal health, but some of the crappier Belt stations are at like 2% Earth gravity. Not that intuition counts for much, but that seems way likelier to cause problems.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I think being raised at 1g and then living on Mars would have health advantages that outweigh the disadvantages

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Smiling Jack posted:

The Belgian Congo has been inspiring SF writers for decades :allears:

No one's been cutting off hands yet.

I was looking at the wiki and apparently in the books there are extra-solar colonies? Has that been mentioned in the show?

I wonder how much it costs to sent interplanetary texts?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

twistedmentat posted:

I was looking at the wiki and apparently in the books there are extra-solar colonies? Has that been mentioned in the show?

You're into future season territory. You should probably stay away from that stuff.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You're into future season territory. You should probably stay away from that stuff.

If you're not all caught up on something, nothing good can come from reading the wiki, no matter how diligent they are about putting spoiler warnings at the top of each page. I had the big twist to Knights of the Old Republic spoiled for me because I decided to look up something completely unrelated on Wookieepedia.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

404notfound posted:

If you're not all caught up on something, nothing good can come from reading the wiki, no matter how diligent they are about putting spoiler warnings at the top of each page. I had the big twist to Knights of the Old Republic spoiled for me because I decided to look up something completely unrelated on Wookieepedia.

What i posted was literally just a link in an unrelated article, that was about it. Nothing plot related. Honestly, until it was mentioned I assumed it was just nothing but background.

I did get spoiled that Draper joins the Roci crew at some point, which is fine because that's more of a look forward too moment than a 'crap story ruined' also if they ever go back to Tycho, Draper and Drummer can have a tought as balls lady off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Draper is confused and emotional and generally totally lost at the moment. She folded and got emotional and let everything slip out after the slightest bit of probing during the last episode. She's soft. I don't care how good your combat simulation scores are, until you can casually shoot two dudes in the head while limping out of a room you can't really compete with Drummer. She has her poo poo 100% together, no blubbering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Draper is confused and emotional and generally totally lost at the moment. She folded and got emotional and let everything slip out after the slightest bit of probing during the last episode. She's soft. I don't care how good your combat simulation scores are, until you can casually shoot two dudes in the head while limping out of a room you can't really compete with Drummer. She has her poo poo 100% together, no blubbering.

Moments after regaining consciousness, too.

https://giant.gfycat.com/DapperDrearyGelada.mp4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Good point.

I did love how Drummer was not the traitor plus she clearly isn't loyal at all to the OPA, at least the more extreme factions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeuWAT9zgA

CANNED CHICKEN!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHICKEN!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeuWAT9zgA

CANNED CHICKEN!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHICKEN!!!!!!!!

I hope we're going to get Amos's whole thing about the canned chicken!! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread