Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

FredMSloniker posted:

Does that mean it's like Nier in that it would literally have been better if you had never played the game?

This makes me think of one of my favourite things in games that do it: the act of the player starting/playing the game is what messes everything up in the first place.

My favourite or most memorable version of this is from the first Infamous. You load the game up and you're presented with the option to press Start/X like nearly every game, so you do, and that sets off a giant explosion that destroys part of a city, kills many people, and unleashes the ability for some people to get superpowers which messes up the country even more.

If you haven't played the game, or not pressed X/Start on the main menu, everything would be fine and the world would be carrying on as normal! But if you did then you are part or the cause of the problem.

Interestingly enough Infamous also features one of my most hated things in games but that's not in the scope of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Breath of the Wild

So if you're inclined to follow the main quest for a little bit instead of immediately loving off and doing your own thing, one of the first things you get is a camera. It can go into a selfie mode, and you can do poses with the left stick. 4 poses on each cardinal direction, and 4 more poses if you hold ZL while holding one of the cardinal directions. That's not the small detail I'm here for, though. It turns out that if you stand next to an NPC to try and take a selfie with them, once you switch the camera to selfie mode they'll stop looking at Link and look at the camera instead!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

Breath of the Wild

So if you're inclined to follow the main quest for a little bit instead of immediately loving off and doing your own thing, one of the first things you get is a camera. It can go into a selfie mode, and you can do poses with the left stick. 4 poses on each cardinal direction, and 4 more poses if you hold ZL while holding one of the cardinal directions. That's not the small detail I'm here for, though. It turns out that if you stand next to an NPC to try and take a selfie with them, once you switch the camera to selfie mode they'll stop looking at Link and look at the camera instead!

More games need a dedicated selfie feature.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Slime posted:

The selfie mode isn't nearly as good as the one in The Wind Waker, if only because Link in The Wind Waker was hella expressive.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Slime posted:

World of Warcraft has it and it's hilarious. Ever wanted to see Kung Fu Panda take a selfie with Satan, a t-rex, and an elf wearing nothing but a loincloth, a blindfold, and a fisherman's hat? That's WoW.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

World of Warcraft has it and it's hilarious. Ever wanted to see Kung Fu Panda take a selfie with Satan, a t-rex, and an elf wearing nothing but a loincloth, a blindfold, and a fisherman's hat? That's WoW.

Also Skyrim.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Assassin's Creed: Syndicate if you haven't already. Evie Frye breaks bones like it's a hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE&t=31s

Yakuza 0 was like that too. With Kiryu your starting finishers aren't much, until you do the first finisher next to a railing, then Kiryu will suplex the enemy onto the top of it. When you later unlock the Beast style, he starts picking up motorcycles to use as weapons. If you do the Heat finisher, he just spikes the motorcycle onto some poor bastard. After you dump a couple billion yen in to the style, you earn a counter attack where he grabs someone, dislocates both shoulders, slaps them in the face hard enough for them to turn around, then throws them face first into the ground.

Majima is goddamn nuts in the game though, one of his bat finishers is to hit someone in the stomach with the end of the bat, when they drop to their knees, he sticks the handle into their mouth, then kicks the bat up. I'm pretty sure the dentists in Sotenbori were working in shifts after Majima rolls through.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CitizenKain posted:

Yakuza 0 was like that too. With Kiryu your starting finishers aren't much, until you do the first finisher next to a railing, then Kiryu will suplex the enemy onto the top of it. When you later unlock the Beast style, he starts picking up motorcycles to use as weapons. If you do the Heat finisher, he just spikes the motorcycle onto some poor bastard. After you dump a couple billion yen in to the style, you earn a counter attack where he grabs someone, dislocates both shoulders, slaps them in the face hard enough for them to turn around, then throws them face first into the ground.

Majima is goddamn nuts in the game though, one of his bat finishers is to hit someone in the stomach with the end of the bat, when they drop to their knees, he sticks the handle into their mouth, then kicks the bat up. I'm pretty sure the dentists in Sotenbori were working in shifts after Majima rolls through.

the funniest thing about the series is that in the world committing murder is a Big Deal, but the kinds of injuries you can inflict on people should guarantee wired jaws and shattered bones at best.

the best Heat actions are the ones you can use on items you wouldn't even consider weapons, like salt shakers or pliers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It's always fun when you are reminded of the mandarin in your inventory as you do a heat action.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inco posted:

The selfie mode isn't nearly as good as the one in The Wind Waker, if only because Link in The Wind Waker was hella expressive.

The Wind Waker one was amazing because you'd just be in the middle of nowhere and suddenly a bottle would float past in the nearest body of water(even a tiny rear end pond) and you'd loot it and it would just be a picture of Link posing with a bird man's butt or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Countpoint: Camera minigames are worse than fishing minigames.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Assassin's Creed: Syndicate if you haven't already. Evie Frye breaks bones like it's a hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE&t=31s

Wait, I thought she was supposed to be the stealthy one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I thought she was supposed to be the stealthy one.

She is, but that just means that she's mechanically better than her brother in all ways while also being god-queen of brutalizing people to death.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, her brother likes fights because he likes to think of himself as a rough and tumble guy, but she's the one who was paying attention and focusing during their assassin training.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

She is, but that just means that she's mechanically better than her brother in all ways while also being god-queen of brutalizing people to death.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, her brother likes fights because he likes to think of himself as a rough and tumble guy, but she's the one who was paying attention and focusing during their assassin training.

It's kinda weird because Jacob is the brawler, and while they have some shared moves and takedowns, his are generally much more clean and efficient. Jacob will plain kill a man as quickly as possible, but Evie will loving dismantle them :stonklol:.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's kinda weird because Jacob is the brawler, and while they have some shared moves and takedowns, his are generally much more clean and efficient. Jacob will plain kill a man as quickly as possible, but Evie will loving dismantle them :stonklol:.

I think she's holding onto a lot of repressed anger.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:tvtropes: Male Might, Female Finesse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lone Badger posted:

I think she's holding onto a lot of repressed anger.

That's what I figure too. loving Jacob hosed up another loving simple plan, so now some poor bastard in a boxing ring is gonna get his arm broke in three places.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CitizenKain posted:

And we can't justifiably ignore Sleeping Dogs. Wei Shen is loving merciless, especially when you get him close to... well, anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cleretic posted:

And we can't justifiably ignore Sleeping Dogs. Wei Shen is loving merciless, especially when you get him close to... well, anything.

Poor students in the training dojo. "Hey Wei, you didn't break that leg in the right way, you need to do it again to learn the move."

If I remember correctly the sensei is constantly shittalking his students as well.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cleretic posted:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What key words do I need to use to find these Yakuza finishing moves in Youtube?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Favourite thing in Yooka-Laylee. They were going to have Jon Jafari as a guest V.A.

Now they're not!

Edit: whoops, autocorrect. What the hell is a 'Nagari', anyway?

Samovar has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

What key words do I need to use to find these Yakuza finishing moves in Youtube?
Kazama finishers
Majima finishers

If you want a vision of the Yakuza series, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Drunken Baker posted:

Back in the day Gametrailers had a video of all the Heat actions in 3 accompanied by a Japanese rock track.

It was the thing I'd show people to turn them onto the series

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Yakuza story is that I was playing 4 and managing my hostess bar or whatever while some friends were over. They didn't believe the game was about Manly Men Doing Manly poo poo until I stopped playing pretty princess, got hammered and starting caving guys faces in.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've been showing my sister all the dumb stuff I've been recording from Y0. Pocket Race Fighter is one of the funniest side stories so far but it's got a lot of competition for me.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Screaming Idiot posted:

The best part of the Operator Thogar fight is trying to take a selfie right before one of the trains hits you.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Assassin's Creed: BF there are a few types of seabirds that you see, and they have actual behavior! I watched one little colony of terns swim in the ocean then stretch out on the beach to dry their feathers. :3:

Games with little touches to wildlife like that are great, and any game where you can pet a dog/cat/furry animal is GotY material for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samovar posted:

Favourite thing in Yooka-Laylee. They were going to have Jon Nagari as a guest V.A.

Now they're not!

Who?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jontron

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-23-playtonic-to-ditch-jontron-from-yooka-laylee-following-anti-immigrant-comments

ajheretic666
Sep 8, 2008
Mass Effect Andromeda
Shortly after gaining your old-man, >1000 year-old Krogan team member, he sends you an e-mail with a link to a bunch of shotguns and things to help make you feel better. It had the perfect 'Grandparents learnt how to send e-mails' vibe to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ajheretic666 posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda
Shortly after gaining your old-man, >1000 year-old Krogan team member, he sends you an e-mail with a link to a bunch of shotguns and things to help make you feel better. It had the perfect 'Grandparents learnt how to send e-mails' vibe to it.

Not even that, they were also described as poorly cropped and low res.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ajheretic666 posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda

From the sounds of it,and from what else I've heard about the game,he's the only character with any charm/personality.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

From the sounds of it,and from what else I've heard about the game,he's the only character with any charm/personality.

I've actually found most of the crewmates to be fun, if poorly written at times. Drack is high up there though, since he later sends an email about how he met an asari that said she was inheriting a large sum of credits but needs some credits to cut through the red tape holding it back, and one of the other squadmates has already warned him it's a scam but he thinks it's too good a chance to pass up and he's willing to give the Ryder the chance to join in on it. The very next email from him is a single sentence stating it was a scam and to not tell the squadmate that warned him in the first place. Love my lizard grandpa.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I've actually found most of the crewmates to be fun, if poorly written at times. Drack is high up there though, since he later sends an email about how he met an asari that said she was inheriting a large sum of credits but needs some credits to cut through the red tape holding it back, and one of the other squadmates has already warned him it's a scam but he thinks it's too good a chance to pass up and he's willing to give the Ryder the chance to join in on it. The very next email from him is a single sentence stating it was a scam and to not tell the squadmate that warned him in the first place. Love my lizard grandpa.

It's even funnier because who the gently caress is going to inherit this large sum of credits in ANOTHER FRIGGING GALAXY?!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've been playing ME:Andromeda and Toukiden 2, and one thing I'm really enjoying in Toukiden is that your allies are pretty kickass and will handle basic enemies easily and grab their items for you

ajheretic666
Sep 8, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

They've all got their own charms, to be honest. I'm not too far into it, though, so it's possible that some are a bit deeper, personality-wise, than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ajheretic666 posted:

They've all got their own charms, to be honest. I'm not too far into it, though, so it's possible that some are a bit deeper, personality-wise, than the others.

The salarian pilot is hilarious if you play as Sarah and start a romance with Suvi, the ship's science officer. Sarah is a dork and is as awkward as you'd expect trying to flirt with Suvi. Over in the next chair, the pilot has only one request after being an unwilling witness: "Kill. Me. Now."