Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PRADA SLUT posted:

What are some high-end furniture stores, similar to Design Within Reach?

I'm looking for like Herman-Miller levels of furniture.

Design Within Reach is really the only national US chain that carries Herman Miller, Knoll, Eames, Saarinen and similar. Your best bet for finding other stores is Googling the specific brand + the nearest big city, or specific brand + the nearest fancy suburb. Usually there are one or two independent stores in an area that carry these lines.

If you don't mind shopping online, hivemodern.com has an interesting selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

I did a science demonstration yesterday that didn't work, possibly in a very bad way.

I added 5g magnesium ribbon (just magnesium, impurities are zinc, copper, iron, aluminum, all at <0.02%) to 20ml hydrochloric acid quickprep (37%, 12.1M) and quickly attached a balloon to the top of an apparently clean Erlenmeyer flask (no odour in the flask, no residue). The mixture bubbled and produced a visible white gas, which was odd but I popped the balloon with a lit boiler stick and there was no flame or explosion, just a popped balloon.

There was a very strong sulphuric odour, like rotten eggs, that burned my throat and irritated my eyes a little bit. I opened a window without taking another breath and left the room for a little while. When I came back, the room still stank of sulphur but it wasn't irritating and I moved the flask to a sink and left the water running for awhile to clear out the mixture.

This is in a junior high science lab. I think I made H2S but there's nothing here containing sulphur and hasn't been for at least a year. The HCl bottle is in good condition and doesn't seem to have been relabeled. The magnesium ribbon was opened by me. What happened here? I'm now loving terrified of doing any more chemistry demos here until I personally clean all of the glassware and get new chemicals of known provenance since I feel I can't trust the containers anymore.

If the chemistry thread doesn't have an answer, come to the cruel and unusual chemistry thread. Not only would people probably be able to come up with some ideas (flooding a room with sulphur is an... interesting reaction from what you've described) but you'll learn all of the ways that nitrogen and fluorine hate you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Since the topic of language came up just now, I've always wondered about something to do with the word "bias" (since english is a second language for me). I've always figured that "bias" was the noun form, whereas "biased" was the adjective form. But time and time again I see people online use "bias" as an adjective, e.g. "this is a bias article". So I'm wondering, is this maybe a British English/American English thing, or a certain regional dialect?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No, they're just wrong.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

At this point it's more like the language is changing than them being outright wrong.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
They are wrong, technically, but it's just basic linguistic deletion. I don't see it as having been formally recognised yet as a correct alternative spelling, but maybe that day is coming. It's like saying you're "not suppose to do that", "he's prejudice against me" or something. People are just not hearing the word fully and haven't encountered it in writing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm going to be in the US in a few weeks and I'm looking to get a SIM card that I can use while I'm there. Any suggestions for carriers? Looking for at least 2 to 3 GB of data. Hoping I can just order the SIM card online and have it already mailed to where I'm staying before I arrive.

Seems like Lycamobile or Cricket Wireless are some good choices. Which one would you guys recommend? Lycamobile is cheaper in terms of the amount of data I would receive and how much the SIM card would cost compared to Cricket Wireless.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 23, 2017

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I'm going to be in the US in a few weeks and I'm looking to get a SIM card that I can use while I'm there. Any suggestions for carriers? Looking for at least 2 to 3 GB of data. Hoping I can just order the SIM card online and have it already mailed to where I'm staying before I arrive.

Seems like Lycamobile or Cricket Wireless are some good choices. Which one would you guys recommend? Lycamobile is cheaper in terms of the amount of data I would receive and how much the SIM card would cost compared to Cricket Wireless.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AlbieQuirky posted:

Design Within Reach is really the only national US chain that carries Herman Miller, Knoll, Eames, Saarinen and similar. Your best bet for finding other stores is Googling the specific brand + the nearest big city, or specific brand + the nearest fancy suburb. Usually there are one or two independent stores in an area that carry these lines.

If you don't mind shopping online, hivemodern.com has an interesting selection.

There's actually a Hive near me, I'll have to check it out.

Are there any recommendations for high-quality linens (not Pendleton), including sheets, towels, etc?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can get phones now with 4000mah batteries, you can get the power banks with 10,000+mah, why's a laptop battery thats much much bigger only have like 4400mah? Just pulling that out of my rear end, thats just what the last one I looked at had.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

codo27 posted:

You can get phones now with 4000mah batteries, you can get the power banks with 10,000+mah, why's a laptop battery thats much much bigger only have like 4400mah? Just pulling that out of my rear end, thats just what the last one I looked at had.

(a) the laptop batt might be slightly older technology; capacity density at a given price point is increasing pretty fast in the Li-ion battery world

(b) laptop maker might be more likely to skimp on battery costs and buy a lower energy density one, since laptops give them more space to work with (this obviously depends on the quality and form factor of the laptop)

(c) laptop batt might have more cells in series and be a higher voltage, which for the same number of mAh means more total energy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

codo27 posted:

Phone batteries and powerbanks are often rated at 3.7 volts or 5 volts, so 4000 and 10000 milliamphours become 14.8/20 watt hours for the phone and 37/50 watt hours for the powerbank.

Meanwhile the 7800 milliamphour battery in my laptop sounds small, but it's at 11.1 volts. So it's actually a whole 87 watt hours of power. On other laptops, the battery voltage can be up to 20 volts or more, so 4400 mah at 20 volts would be 88 watt hours for instance.

For whatever reason, quoting the watt hours for total energy storage just isn't popular on small devices, though it's reasonably common in large devices like laptops.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a corner case and a very Jewish thing, something something nexus of culture and history and something something. Would you call people that celebrate Christmas but don't go to church secular Christians? My feeling is not, but I don't know enough to say why for sure. You also hear people say "culturally Jewish" (the notion that Jewishness is a group of people as much as it's a religion), but I've never heard that used for anything else.

I'm culturally Jewish, and Australian. I get a lot of "but you celebrate Christmas, right?", to which my answer is "no, I don't. I'm Jewish". I had a housemate once, also an atheist, who all but demanded to know why I didn't celebrate Christmas when he did.

It's because, yeah, if you celebrate Christmas and Easter, like it or not you're culturally Christian. They're not my holidays, not should they be by virtue of living in a Christian majority country (however secular). Nor should atheists or agnostics who do celebrate Christmas stop doing that, or start saying "happy holidays" instead, or whatever. But no, Christian holidays aren't automatically the default.

E: and I'm sure Judaism isn't the exception. I'm sure there are Muslims who perhaps grew up in religious or semi religious households, possibly went to a religious school, are no longer practising or believers, but still feel a bit funny about drinking alcohol just from their background. I'm sure there are Hindus who aren't believers but just enjoy the festivals. Most Japanese, as far as I'm aware, are extremely secular and nonbelievers, but are still very culturally Shinto/Buddhist.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 24, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Have any musicians actually been "held back" by their bandmates and were much better off pursuing a solo career? I've always had the feeling that people who did that were kind of selfish and awful. Or at least misled by an evil manager or agent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There are a plenty of people that have had more successful or well respected solo careers. If you want to look at pop music, Justin Timberlake would probably be playing county fairs if they were still trying to make insync a thing. Neil Young is probably known better for his solo stuff than CSNY for the most part...There are tons though

I don't understand the basis of your question tbh because it assumes that the only reason someone would make a solo career would be an out of control ego. Maybe their band just ran it's course or they didn't get along anymore, different artistic direction or a myriad of other reasons.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think it's more that anyone who says their bandmates were "holding them back" is probably a delusional tool, which is not the same as someone feeling they could do better solo and parting amicably.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How often does that even happen though? I guess that is a spin that the media likes to put on that stuff, but I can't think of a whole lot of actual examples of it. Especially anyone coming from a band that wasn't terrible to begin with.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Couldn't find a "small questions about the English language"-thread, so I'll ask here: Those lyrics seem incorrect to me:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/petergabriel/fourteenblackpaintings.html
"Fourteen Black Paintings"

From the pain come the dream
From the dream come the vision
From the vision come the people
From the people come the power
From this power come the change"

There is no -s (as in "comes"). Is this meant to be some kind of "archaic" form, artistic freedom or actual correct grammar? Thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Have any musicians actually been "held back" by their bandmates and were much better off pursuing a solo career? I've always had the feeling that people who did that were kind of selfish and awful. Or at least misled by an evil manager or agent.

veni veni veni posted:

How often does that even happen though?

Hyperlynx posted:

I think it's more that anyone who says their bandmates were "holding them back" is probably a delusional tool, which is not the same as someone feeling they could do better solo and parting amicably.

Here's a fairly common situation: an indie band plays bars and small local venues, and they are starting to gain traction. The members of the band have day jobs and do gigs& & practice at night and on the weekends.They are young but some might be already married, have kids. Some might be looking at their day jobs as something they could turn into a career. Others want to make the band into a career. This means touring, giving up their day jobs, and devoting a hell of a lot of one's personal time and finances back into the band. In that type of situation, once those tensions grow, the members who want to push the band to the next level are going to feel held back by their bandmates.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 24, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Tbh, I'm probably basing most of my preconceived notions on cartoons of the 80s and 90s (where this was one of the standard plots), and that I like Black Sabbath more than Ozzy and The Beatles more than...any of their other individual projects. Couldn't think of any other examples so I thought I'd ask.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ozzy didn't leave Black Sabbath because he thought they were "holding him back", they fired him for substance abuse and hired a new singer.

The Beatles broke up because the two principal songwriters grew to hate each other so much that they couldn't write songs together anymore.

neither one really happened because of anyone's solo career. Though its certainly true that John Lennon was a horrible selfish rear end in a top hat, and Paul as well to a lesser extent.

Geroge Harrison's solo work is very good, btw.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 24, 2017

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Couldn't find a "small questions about the English language"-thread, so I'll ask here: Those lyrics seem incorrect to me:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/petergabriel/fourteenblackpaintings.html
"Fourteen Black Paintings"

From this power come the change"

There is no -s (as in "comes"). Is this meant to be some kind of "archaic" form, artistic freedom or actual correct grammar? Thanks!

Unfortunately, the English thread in Science, Academics and Languages got archived because the last post was in October https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568771

I'm not qualified to give a long answer, but there are a million dialects of English that don't follow whatever you consider to be the standard rules - don't worry about "correct grammar" because it's part of their dialect (and/or they're being poetic).

Try the linguistics thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525230

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

From this power come the change"[/i]

As I read it, correct but not normal. Come is being used there in the imperative, as in "you! come here!" The dream is being commanded to come from the pain, etc. etc.

Normally, though, the subject of a command is the hearer and it is implied.

So: (you) come [over here, from the pain, any other modifier]

"the dream" (subject) "come" (command) "from the pain" (prepositional phrase modifying come) is a little wonky there but still seems to fit.

...mind you, it's also possible Peter Gabriel is dropping "will" in "From this power [will] come the change" for effect, English being what it is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Why is the word "airline" always pluralized when it's part of the proper name of a (singular) airline? For example, United Airlines is an airline, not multiple airlines.

Where did this convention come from? It seems to have been the case right from the start of commercial air travel, but it isn't something that carried over from railway companies as far as I can tell.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Powered Descent posted:

Why is the word "airline" always pluralized when it's part of the proper name of a (singular) airline? For example, United Airlines is an airline, not multiple airlines.

Where did this convention come from? It seems to have been the case right from the start of commercial air travel, but it isn't something that carried over from railway companies as far as I can tell.

Basically guessing here, but the early meaning of "air line" seems to have been "set air travel route", thus you could have had the hypothetical London-Paris Air Line Plc. operating between the two cities. When they expanded their routes, they became the hypothetical England-France Air Lines Plc. When commercial air travel became a huge global thing, "airline" took its modern meaning.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Powered Descent posted:

I think at the start, for the most part an airline company ran a single line. A brief look at old carriers seems to suggest that airlines started to appear in company names around the time companies started regularly running multiple routes, and at some point the companies in the generic form became "airline"s, even if the names didn't change. One example I found is Clifford Ball Airline -- a predecessor to one of United's predecessors -- ran between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, then was sold to another company and the combined company (with multiple lines) was named Pennsylvania Air Lines; at least here in the states, all of the historic big names come from mergers and buyouts of dozens of smaller companies. These days it's pretty much a given that an airline runs multiple airlines.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

Each route an airline has used to be referred to as its own "airline" in a similar way to how you might call route out of a city an individual rail line even if both were owned by the same railroad. Even if your company started with only one route, you'd often put the plural in your name to make your business sound bigger than it was. Remember that most early air routes involved a lot of stops on the ground because planes had short flying ranges, and so if you say, wanted to get from NYC to LA you had to stop off a bunch of times along the way, just as a rail line has intermediate stops.

For instance, TWA's 1930 service from NYC to LA, the first all-air route (earlier transcontinental flights would have you fly during the day, then switch to rail sleeper carriages overnight to reach the next air stage) would have you sleep overnight in lodgings at Kansas City after several stops between NYC and KC, and then you'd have more stops between KC and LA. All in all, it'd take 36 hours across the country including your overnight stay in KC, and passengers could take the line just part of the way if they needed to. Say if you needed to just get from Columbus, OH to Kansas City you'd only be on those stages. Just like going between intermediate stops on a rail line.

On top of that, you also had most commercial airline companies still flying today being formed from the merger of previously existing operators, so the use of "airlines" would refer to the merger. American Airlines for instance was formed by the merger of over 70 individual operators in the early 1930s, to say nothing of everyone who's merged with them since that point. United Airlines itself was first founded as United Air Lines, a company that acted as a holding company for multiple independent airlines who'd been purchased by the same company and later had their operations integrated.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Beachcomber posted:

Peter Gabriel-era Genesis was pretty loving weird experimental prog-rock. When he went solo and Phil Collins took over as lead singer, whatever dynamic that was locking the group into that drive for weird poo poo went away, and both Gabriel's solo work and Genesis became much more mainstream and much more commercially successful.

Opinions, uh, differ on the quality of the music produced after the split (most of Collins's work frankly blows) but they could easily be described as holding each other back.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
dirby, that is indeed unfortunate but thanks anyway! I might try to ask where you specified. Thanks again! :)

ulmont, your explanation indeed sounds plausible. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

When he went solo and Phil Collins took over as lead singer, whatever dynamic that was locking the group into that drive for weird poo poo went away, and both Gabriel's solo work and Genesis became much more mainstream and much more commercially successful.

It wasn't Gabriel's departure that caused that change, it was Steve Hackett a couple years later. The two albums after Gabriel left were still fairly proggy. After Hackett left they became more of a pop band, and Hackett went on to a solo career of wanky prog nonsense that only a handful of nerds listen to

also Phil Collins did a lot of great songs. his solo career certainly was not as interesting or experimental as Peter Gabriel's but the guy can make a great pop song.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I need to send physical mail to the producers of the Jim Rome show. I know he records at the CBS Sports Radio studios in Los Angeles, but I can't find the mailing address. Might be in Irvine, actually.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the info.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Earwicker posted:

It wasn't Gabriel's departure that caused that change, it was Steve Hackett a couple years later. The two albums after Gabriel left were still fairly proggy. After Hackett left they became more of a pop band, and Hackett went on to a solo career of wanky prog nonsense that only a handful of nerds listen to

also Phil Collins did a lot of great songs. his solo career certainly was not as interesting or experimental as Peter Gabriel's but the guy can make a great pop song.

Fair enough, thanks. I'm not a fan of early Genesis so I'm not surprised I had it wrong.

It sounds like Peter Gabriel might still be a good example.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For a previous version of Windows there was an app that would just put a re sizable slideshow window on your desktop that came packaged with Windows, is there something like this package with Windows 10? If not does anyone know of something that will do this? I know I could do a background slideshow, but I want something like that old app.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a better way to play local videos from an Android tablet with no HDMI/MHL than a Miracast dongle on a hotel TV? Chromecast is out because of the login portal for wifi.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
If I want to post negative feedback for an art commission that a goon reneged on, where do I do it? His thread is archived now and there's like 2 similar bad feedback threads in SA Mart and their template seems to apply more to physical item transactions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Earwicker posted:

Geroge Harrison's solo work is very good, btw.

Ringo's the best solo Beatle. Lennon's the worst.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any recommendations for high-quality linens (not Pendleton), including sheets, towels, etc?

Sweethome has yet to lead me wrong. I haven't bought their recommended sheets, but the towels are hella nice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disharmony posted:

If I want to post negative feedback for an art commission that a goon reneged on, where do I do it? His thread is archived now and there's like 2 similar bad feedback threads in SA Mart and their template seems to apply more to physical item transactions.

Post in the negative buyer/seller feedback thread, keeping in mind the instructions in this post

Debbie Metallica posted:

Now, I realize that there were some people in the prior thread whose problem may not have been addressed. Now is your opportunity to keep me up to speed. If the thread in question is still in the active forums, it's easier if you track it down and report it just like you would with anything else. If that's not possible, post here and make sure you put in bold at the top This issue involves an archived thread and must be handled here. I'll still move it into my sticky reports forum thread but I'll try to take note of it and work from there.

Debbie is pretty good with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is there a better way to play local videos from an Android tablet with no HDMI/MHL than a Miracast dongle on a hotel TV? Chromecast is out because of the login portal for wifi.

I wouldn't say it's a better way, but I use a pi zero running kodi, powered from the TV or battery. Android app called yatse to control it over wifi or the phone's hotspot.