Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mmm I dunno if I'd put Rhodes on that list tbh, he's definitely the nicest person in the registration camp imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

site posted:

Mmm I dunno if I'd put Rhodes on that list tbh, he's definitely the nicest person in the registration camp imo

Keep in mind he's the guy who calls Steve a criminal for trying to save his friend from a literal DEATH SQUAD.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You mean the Hydra assassin guy

in the meta context yeah we know bucky becomes the winter soldier as a good guy and Steve is right but within the story Steve went off the reservation to save a multiple murderer and assaults dozens of policemen while doing it, yeah in that context the dude is a criminal Rhodes isn't wrong

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've said this a few times and in a few places, but I'm finally going to put fingers to keys and talk about how much I love Thor, how much I've got 1st Class tickets on the Thor: Ragnarok Hype Train, how much I idolize Walt Simonson, how much I appreciate Jason Aaron, and why I will never stop loving comics.

So, way way back in August of 1962, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby cooked us up something wonderful in Journey Into Mystery #83 (which was, after all, a horror comics anthology turned kaiju/sci-fi rag). They introduced Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, to modern day comics and set up a lifetime of epic tales. You see, back then, they had freshly created The Hulk, and weren't sure how to make someone who was even stronger than The Strongest One There Is. Simple answer: Make him a God.

But, back then, Thor was a bit of an anomaly. Like many heroes of the age, he had a civilian life hidden behind his alter ego, but, for Thor, his alter ego wasn't just a disguise, it was an entirely separate person, the frail and disabled Dr. Donald Blake. Later, this was explained/ret-conned as a punishment from Odin and the Donald persona was removed entirely.

Things progressed for Thor, and his escapades ranged farther away from the mundane streets of New York and farther into the Norse mythology. Then, It Happened.

In November 1983, Walt Simonson took over as both writer and artist in Thor #337. For 3 magical, wondrous years, Walt Simonson reminded us that we weren't merely reading the adventures of a super-hero, but the mythos of a God. The enemies grew ever larger. Muggers replaced by Frost Giants. Androids usurped by Fire Demons. Thor's allies would be given similar treatment. No longer aided by a man in a tin suit and a green-skinned simpleton, Thor fights valiantly alongside the Warriors Three and his newest equal: the noble and valiant Beta Ray Bill. The walls of reality quiver and split as Thor and his Uru Hammer slam against them in an effort to leap off the page and into our hearts. This is peak Thor.

Things take a turn for the worse as Thor concludes the Surtur Saga: the Fire Lord of Muspelheim leads a devastating twin-pronged assault on Asgard and Midgard. While Thor and his warriors rush to defend the helpless mortals (including a fairly overmatched Fantastic Four and The Avengers), Odin, the All-Father, takes on the demon himself in defense of Asgard. It's all a bit too much, even for the Lord of Asgard and Odin summons both of his sons to his aid.

In the end, Odin sacrifices himself to cast the Demon Lord into cracks of Muspelheim. Thor mourns as only a God can, with Rage and Thunder. If that weren't bad enough, Hela, Ruler of the Dead, comes looking for Odin's body and is greeted with a swift Hammer-to-the-Face from a grieving Thor.

This sets us up for the big showdown. Previously, Malekith (the leader of the Dark Elves and antagonist of Thor: The Dark World), had tricked a number of Asgardians into tasting Faerie fruit, consigning their souls to Hel. As the battle with Surtur had grievously wounded Asgard in a number of ways, part of Thor's plan to restore the City of the Gods back to its former glory was to lead a strike force of Asgardian warriors to Hel itself, replete with M-16s and other ordinance donated by a grateful US Military after the Asgardians had saved Midgard from Surtur's armies.

Just to give you an idea what they are up against, let me tell you what Balder the Beautiful relates to us about his last sojourn into Hel: Upon reaching the Mountain of the Dead, Hela forced Balder to fight against all of the tens of thousands of dead that he had slain during his lifetime (many thousands of years, as a God). So harrowing was this experience, Balder's gorgeous golden locks turned white as snow, and he refused to tell anyone of his traumatic experience until Thor made it abundantly clear that they were all riding into the mouth of Hel, again.

Enter Skurge. Skurge isn't the bravest, the smartest, the most charming of the gods. He's a goddamn savage, though, and tough as nails forged from the Uru of Mjollnir. For years, Skurge has been toyed with by his beloved Enchantress, Amora, and made to do her twisted bidding, all the while never having his love returned. He's been the butt of every Asgardian joke, he's raw and coarse, and ready to fight to the last drop of blood at a moment's notice. And he's miserable. The Enchantress plots and schemes and bends men and Gods to her will with ease, and Skurge just watches and waits. His last straw is seeing Amora sneaking off with Heimdall on the eve of the invasion of Hel. Finally at his breaking point, Skurge begs Thor to take him, so that he might die a warrior's death and finally give him a chance to regain his honor. Upon entering Hel, Skurge is waylaid by Amora, claiming that she now is an inhabitant of the Realm of the Dead as Heimdall had slain her for refusing him.

Thor proceeds through Hel, losing friends steadily until he eventually squares up for a 1-on-1 grappling match against Hela, herself, in the manner of the Old Gods, for the rights to the souls of the Asgardians. Although Thor wins, he is grievously wounded. Skurge, eventually realizing the deception, uses The Executioner's Axe to destroy Naglfar, Hela's Warship of the Dead, in retribution. Thus begins the race against time for the Asgardians to escape Hel before Hela and the Legions of the Dead trap them forever.

Having reached the Golden Bridge at Gjallerbru, the only passage across the River Gjoll, which bounds Hela's domain, Thor decides to make his final stand to allow the Asgardians to escape: The life of one God for the many, and all that sort of thing. But this noble sacrifice from our hero is not to be. Skurge, in savage act, sucker punches Thor from behind, felling the wounded God in one blow. Things look grim for the Asgardians.

These panels really speak for themselves and I still read them from time to time. Jason Aaron's run on Thor has brought back what I felt as a kid reading Simonson's run. If you like what you see here, check out Aaron's run on Thor: God of Thunder and you will not be disappointed.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
HE STOOD ALONE AT GJALLERBRU

site posted:

You mean the Hydra assassin guy

in the meta context yeah we know bucky becomes the winter soldier as a good guy and Steve is right but within the story Steve went off the reservation to save a multiple murderer and assaults dozens of policemen while doing it, yeah in that context the dude is a criminal Rhodes isn't wrong

That argument would hold water if there were more evidence than a grainy photo that kinda-sorta looked like Bucky but didn't even show his whole face. It was pretty explicitly stated that there was no intention of taking Bucky alive or anything else resembling due process.

I definitely don't agree that Rhodes was the "nicest" in the pro-reg camp. He certainly wasn't the most reasonable since he never stated any rationale for supporting the accords other than "the government says so." Everyone else had actual reasons; Tony was driven mainly by guilt and a desire for the accountability he couldn't provide on his own, Vision had chaos theory, and Natasha saw it as a way of earning back public trust. Meanwhile Rhodey's only argument for the Accords was a textbook appeal to authority. I wouldn't call that out of character for someone whose identity is based largely on his place in the military, but it's still not sound reasoning.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I laughed when Rhodey got blasted in Civil War because I was super annoyed with him and his dumb bootlicking and dumb threats against Cap and his crew when he was the only one there without anything resembling principles. It was supposed to be this big tragic moment where Tony's friend gets hurt, but I was like "Yeah, gently caress you!"

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im glad you listened to my advice and thorposted, mostly because I could loving read that a thousand times and love it just as much as the first time I read it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

haitfais posted:

That argument would hold water if there were more evidence than a grainy photo that kinda-sorta looked like Bucky but didn't even show his whole face. It was pretty explicitly stated that there was no intention of taking Bucky alive or anything else resembling due process.

well yes but cap still went against law enforcement to aid a known multiple murderer and actively beat them up which as far as i know are still things against the law?

haitfais posted:

Meanwhile Rhodey's only argument for the Accords was a textbook appeal to authority. I wouldn't call that out of character for someone whose identity is based largely on his place in the military, but it's still not sound reasoning.

and this is why im okay with rhodes going along with the accords because of course the guy whos so down for his military that he jacks his friends death machine for their use is gonna back his govt in this situation, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary with him doing so. but i also dont really see how that doesnt make him the nicest. tony pretty much started the thing and tried to dictate and hosed everything up and vision actively was complicit in kidnapping (which tony mandated) and totally wrecked poo poo at the airport even though he didnt have to and after paralyzing rhodey he just goes lol told you so....tbh i dont really consider natasha on proreg cuz of how thing played out but if you do yeah i guess i would say she was least bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quite stretched out posted:

im glad you listened to my advice and thorposted, mostly because I could loving read that a thousand times and love it just as much as the first time I read it

Yeah, that is seriously one of the best comic sequences ever. It's just a home run on every level.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I laughed when Rhodey got blasted in Civil War because I was super annoyed with him and his dumb bootlicking and dumb threats against Cap and his crew when he was the only one there without anything resembling principles. It was supposed to be this big tragic moment where Tony's friend gets hurt, but I was like "Yeah, gently caress you!"

He should have died,honestly.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

site posted:

well yes but cap still went against law enforcement to aid an alleged multiple murderer and actively beat them up which as far as i know are still things against the law?

Fixed for accuracy. Bucky was never convicted, tried, or even charged with any murders. As viewers, we know he killed people (while brainwashed and not in control of his own actions,) and Cap and Black Widow know it. There is obviously some documented evidence in the leaked SHIELD files, but it's just as obvious that that evidence shows that Bucky is not responsible for the Winter Soldier's killings since the only verified information (as found by Zemo,) is the dossier presumably titled "How We Brainwashed a War Hero and Forced Him to Kill People."

And, again, the evidence for Bucky's involvement in the UN bombing consists of a single grainy photo. That may justify bringing him in for questioning, but it sure as poo poo doesn't justify sending a kill squad. In fact, I'm pretty sure killing a suspect without trial based on flimsy evidence is against the law in most developed countries. It's definitely against the law in the country that Rogers and Rhodes come from. So while Rhodes may argue that Cap is a criminal for his actions (or not, since he never actually makes any arguments in the film,) Cap could argue that he was protecting an innocent man from an unlawful extrajudicial killing.

quote:

and this is why im okay with rhodes going along with the accords because of course the guy whos so down for his military that he jacks his friends death machine for their use is gonna back his govt in this situation, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary with him doing so. but i also dont really see how that doesnt make him the nicest. tony pretty much started the thing and tried to dictate and hosed everything up and vision actively was complicit in kidnapping (which tony mandated) and totally wrecked poo poo at the airport even though he didnt have to and after paralyzing rhodey he just goes lol told you so....tbh i dont really consider natasha on proreg cuz of how thing played out but if you do yeah i guess i would say she was least bad

Inflexible thinking, accusing a colleague of "playing both sides" because he expressed a dissenting opinion, and yes, calling Cap a criminal for preventing the murder of his best friend. He may have understandable reasons for all of those things, but they're still not hallmarks of the "nicest" anything. I would say in terms of relative niceness from the pro-reg camp it goes Romanoff > Stark > Vision > Rhodes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

well yes but cap still went against law enforcement to aid a known multiple murderer and actively beat them up which as far as i know are still things against the law?

Bucky was also a god damned war hero who fought and killed Nazis, that should give you the benefit of the doubr.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Bucky was also a god damned war hero who fought and killed Nazis, that should give you the benefit of the doubr.

So much for the tolerant left.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Great post, but you kind of imply that Kirby and Lee's Thor didn't have some massive villains. Mangog, the Destroyer, Ego the Living Planet, Pluto, and Hercules debut in the 60's Thor books. The FF's Him and Galactus have two of their more memorable earlier appearances in Thor. There's even a precursor to the Celestials (the Orikal) in issue 139 where a ancient space god is found by Ulik the troll, and forced to make him his own version of Mjolnir.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

On a less political note:

Toshimo posted:

Having reached the Golden Bridge at Gjallerbru, the only passage across the River Gjoll, which bounds Hela's domain, Thor decides to make his final stand to allow the Asgardians to escape: The life of one God for the many, and all that sort of thing. But this noble sacrifice from our hero is not to be. Skurge, in savage act, sucker punches Thor from behind, felling the wounded God in one blow. Things look grim for the Asgardians.

These panels really speak for themselves and I still read them from time to time. Jason Aaron's run on Thor has brought back what I felt as a kid reading Simonson's run. If you like what you see here, check out Aaron's run on Thor: God of Thunder and you will not be disappointed.

God drat that's :black101: Everytime I read that,Klendathu Drop from the Starship Troopers soundtrack starts playing in the back of my head.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

VolticSurge posted:

On a less political note:

God drat that's :black101: Everytime I read that,Klendathu Drop from the Starship Troopers soundtrack starts playing in the back of my head.

Not just Starship Troopers, basically anything composed by Basil Poledouris is fitting for that scene, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is especially goddamn fantastic.

https://youtu.be/9j6nyEcIk98

https://youtu.be/onGWF8mz1Zw

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

quite stretched out posted:

I've never read more than a handful of Thor comics but anytime that story gets posted I want to pick up a hammer and smash some giants.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Then it also turned out he had been committing assassinations for Hydra for decades and was a mass murderer and Rhodes was right all along. Bucky Barnes is a murderer and should be treated as such!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Push El Burrito posted:

Then it also turned out he had been committing assassinations for Hydra for decades and was a mass murderer and Rhodes was right all along. Bucky Barnes is a murderer and should be treated as such!

He was a also brainwashed and if that ain't a useable defense anymore than there are literally no heroes left.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VolticSurge posted:

As are Movie Tony,Rhodes and T'Challa.

T'Challa, even in his very best incarnation (Priest's), is kind of a dick at the bare minimum. I love the guy, but he's not somebody you would ever be able to pal around with.

Movie Tony should have been more of a drinker.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh yes because the "let's argue for pages and pages about who the biggest rear end in a top hat in a Civil War event was" was so much fun when it only involved comics let's definitely have that argument about the movies too

Shut up and post badass panels, nerds

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Black Panther versus Iron Man. Weapon of choice: spray cleaner.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh yes because the "let's argue for pages and pages about who the biggest rear end in a top hat in a Civil War event was" was so much fun when it only involved comics let's definitely have that argument about the movies too

Shut up and post badass panels, nerds

Is the wayne chin hereditary
Because the boy wonder here could sub in for an icebreaker ship.

And do it better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They're right you know - Dick Grayson-Batman and Damian Wayne-Robin were a fantastic team.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dickbats was the best thing to happen to the Batman franchise since like, Knightfall. Oh Dickbats, I pine for thee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Goddamn I love that sequence.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So was he right about the whole 'you've doomed us all' thing, at least in the sense that some bigger threat then showed up because he hadn't successfully wiped out humanity?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FredMSloniker posted:

So was he right about the whole 'you've doomed us all' thing, at least in the sense that some bigger threat then showed up because he hadn't successfully wiped out humanity?

Nope, wiping out Earth would have been at best a stop gap measure. At worst it would have stopped Doctor Doom from travelling back in time and salvaging what remnants of reality he could.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FredMSloniker posted:

They're referring to the incursions and destroying earth would have spared the universe from more (but would not have stopped the end of everything). So yeah he was somewhat right. It's all good, Doom saved everyone.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How did we go from Infinity and incursions and Secret Wars to...Civil War II? Ugh.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How did we go from Infinity and incursions and Secret Wars to...Civil War II? Ugh.

Bendis

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jerusalem posted:

They're right you know - Dick Grayson-Batman and Damian Wayne-Robin were a fantastic team.

I still say they should've kept the pairing with Damian as Nightwing's sidekick, especially with Duke taking that role with Batman now.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

bobkatt013 posted:

Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

As much as this sequence was the best part of Infinity (and it was, by a mile) I can even in this exchange pick out the things that really, really didn't work for me. The Builders are crap, for one (the Ivory Kings are exactly the same villain except upscaled in threat level) and don't fit the universe, nor did the Ex Nihilo. And this sequence, much like Fraction's whole run on both Avengers books while well written definitely felt like something from one of his indie books (or even Fantastic Four) rather than something Captain America, Iron Man or Thor should be doing.

I get that I'm probably in the minority in this, and I'm not denying that there's good stuff in there. That run just felt so tonally off to me from start to finish.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quoting movie Loki is really distracting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The Marvel cinematic universe is canon with the comics; there's one of Dr. Strange musing over being portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That was in Gwenpool, and specifically because Strange was looking into Gwen's universe (which is our universe, more or less)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is it still canon that Steve Rogers writes and draws the Captain America comic book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alacron posted:

Is it still canon that Steve Rogers writes and draws the Captain America comic book?

He just drew them in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alacron posted:

IIRC he was never the writer, just the artist.

I remember one sequence where he was telling the editor that Cap wouldn't act a certain way and the editor was all "Jeez why do the artists always think they should write too" which was a lot funnier a few years later when Image was founded