Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

By letting more and more machine intelligence "parts", represented by the holo girls, gather in the same place without destroying them she eventually caused them to start arguing with each other.
The logic being that if there are enough of them hanging around in the same place some parts will start arguing with each other eventually.

Oh man, this is so thematically perfect considering all the poo poo happening in the setting.

I had assumed a much more boring "memory leak" interpretation, but I like yours much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Tarezax posted:

The Romeos and Juliets play within the game is so Shakespearean, it's amazing

Whoops. My bad. Fixed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Snak posted:

Oh man, this is so thematically perfect considering all the poo poo happening in the setting.

I had assumed a much more boring "memory leak" interpretation, but I like yours much better.

In a sense it's data overflow, the more copies were around, the faster the machines were evolving and learning new factors, until there was a split between two valid but contradictory courses of action (learn more x kill the threat).

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Adams obsession also plays into each Machines 'gift'

The gift represents some aspect of humanity the machines think what makes something human and how they tie into each zone or machine community.

Love?- Desert
Hate - Adam
Family - Eve
Fun - Park
Loyalty - Forest
War? - The Flooded City?
Peace - Village
Religion - Factory

I'm prob getting some wrong and missing some.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

In a sense it's data overflow, the more copies were around, the faster the machines were evolving and learning new factors, until there was a split between two valid but contradictory courses of action (learn more x kill the threat).

I mean, that's not really what data overflow is, in computer terms.

Romeos and Juliets was amazing. I think that I recorded it on my ps4. I should trim it up and upload it.

edit: ^ Each Treasure Had Its Own Shape. Really good observation.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Also while 9S is inside the machine network he notices the machines copying all these social concepts but finds it strange they seem to be purposefully setting themselves up to fail by repeating the same mistakes over and over despite knowing full well they are capable of evolved thought and change by how they continuously improve themselves to fight better.

Dunno if this is suppose to be a hint about the Red Girls control over the machines or if its some meta commentary about the human condition but it's a nice touch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monomythian posted:

Adams obsession also plays into each Machines 'gift'

The gift represents some aspect of humanity the machines think what makes something human and how they tie into each zone or machine community.

Love?- Desert
Hate - Adam
Family - Eve
Fun - Park
Loyalty - Forest
War? - The Flooded City?
Peace - Village
Religion - Factory

I'm prob getting some wrong and missing some.

Love. Love. Love. Love.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I kept shooting the red girls and it finished decently quick as my pod counted up a percent thing. Like, I interpreted it as don't kill them, but I ran around a bit and nothing seemed to be happening. So I kept shooting them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The rate they appear increases as time goes on so even if you keep killing them I think their replication rate eventually outstrips your ability to clear them out.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Oh another thing. The Flood City being a huge question mark when it comes to machine gifts also goes hand in hand with why I think Pure Waters and Black Pearls are so rare and that is because the Flood City was absolutely suppose to be an entire zone that ended up getting cut. Would explain why a named zone is also 30 seconds long and why they shoved a DLC gate there.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monomythian posted:

Also while 9S is inside the machine network he notices the machines copying all these social concepts but finds it strange they seem to be purposefully setting themselves up to fail by repeating the same mistakes over and over despite knowing full well they are capable of evolved thought and change by how they continuously improve themselves to fight better.

Dunno if this is suppose to be a hint about the Red Girls control over the machines or if its some meta commentary about the human condition but it's a nice touch.

I definitely thought it was a commentary on how humans do the same thing. I think it also ties into the concept of the war. The Android side has basically decided that the problem is they need to fight the war better. They never evolve beyond the idea that they need to destroy the machines, just get better and better at building soldiers to do it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Having now finished route A-E I'd just like to say it's really disappointing how B2 gets offed like a chump 10 minutes after the B ending and then just ...never comes back. I kept expecting her to pop back into the story. I mean she's in all the games art and she's a robot and shes the drat main character! It's like the most perfect excuse to have a bullshit Jesus resurrection and the game doesn't go for it. She doesn't even get a cool death, just 'oh drat you're infected now time to die'. Why couldn't she save herself like 9S does in the tower? We see A2 using her pod to hack so why can't 2B use hers to hack the virus to death?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

sunken fleet posted:

Having now finished route A-E I'd just like to say it's really disappointing how B2 gets offed like a chump 10 minutes after the B ending and then just ...never comes back. I kept expecting her to pop back into the story. I mean she's in all the games art and she's a robot and shes the drat main character! It's like the most perfect excuse to have a bullshit Jesus resurrection and the game doesn't go for it. She doesn't even get a cool death, just 'oh drat you're infected now time to die'. Why couldn't she save herself like 9S does in the tower? We see A2 using her pod to hack so why can't 2B use hers to hack the virus to death?

Honestly, 9S is the main character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sunken fleet posted:

I honestly think that A2 getting all of 2B's memories through the sword kind of... merged them. Like, A2 is still A2, but she starts giving a poo poo about Pascal awfully fast, which I felt like was 2B's memories of Pascal manifest and influencing A2's personality.

edit: ^ also that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

A2 is the prototype with all the cool extra poo poo installed in her, 2B is the production model and doesn't have the ability to hack because it was given fully to the scanner types after the prototype run. Or so I imagine.

Also, A2 cutting her hair after receiving 2B's memories is symbolic of her carrying on 2B's legacy. Post haircut their faces are now completely identical.

The bullshit Jesus resurrection is what you had to fight for in ending E.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 25, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I honestly think that A2 getting all of 2B's memories through the sword kind of... merged them. Like, A2 is still A2, but she starts giving a poo poo about Pascal awfully fast, which I felt like was 2B's memories of Pascal manifest and influencing A2's personality.

edit: ^ also that.

They did use A2's personality data to make 2B.

2B dying really hurt :(

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

100% agree, its my biggest complaint about the game. 2B gets hours of development then dropped before its concluded, while A2 wraps up the ending with no development at all.

Like was 2Bs death suppose to be some kind of shocking twist about the horrors of war? Yeah ok I get it, but there is a time and place for that kind of twist and this was not it because you just replaced your co-lead with someone who is 90% the same anyway near the end of the story. Pointless and stupid because you could have had 2B do all the things A2 did with the slightest of story tweaks, even fighting 9S.

Edit:It could have been something as simple as A2 giving 2B her body to avoid the corruption since she had nothing left to live for and 9S still would have went crazy thinking A2 killed her not realised A2 is now 2B

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Monomythian posted:

100% agree, its my biggest complaint about the game. 2B gets hours of development then dropped before its concluded, while A2 wraps up the ending with no development at all.

Like was 2Bs death suppose to be some kind of shocking twist about the horrors of war? Yeah ok I get it, but there is a time and place for that kind of twist and this was not it because you just replaced your co-lead with someone who is 90% the same anyway near the end of the story. Pointless and stupid because you could have had 2B do all the things A2 did with the slightest of story tweaks, even fighting 9S.

2B's hours of development didn't drop from the game just because she died. In fact she became the most important character at that point.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Nah. Pod 042 is the main character .

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Romeos and Juliets is literally a summary of the game's plot.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Monomythian posted:

Like was 2Bs death suppose to be some kind of shocking twist about the horrors of war? Yeah ok I get it, but there is a time and place fo that kind of twist and this was not it because you just replaced your co-lead with someone who is 90% the same anyway near the end of the story. Pointless and stupid because you could have had 2B do all the things A2 did with the slightest of story tweaks, even fighting 9S.

Yea reading these replies sort of made me think 'why is A2 even a character?' Like she's physically identical to 2B and she gets 2B's memories. So she's just 2B but angrier? With an even more tragic past? I dunno if I missed like a huge chunk of backstory that would make me care about her somehow but I had like 80% completion on side quests and all the main routes so if it's more hidden then that...

Supremezero posted:

This is probably the real answer though thinking about it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Snak posted:

Romeos and Juliets is literally a summary of the game's plot.

It's what I show to people to show them the tone of the game. It's perfect.

Edit: I see A2 as a version of 2B who took a different path when faced with the loss of loved ones. A2 throws herself into killing machines and cuts off all contact with others, while 2B is clearly tormented by her love of 9S and her duty to kill him but holds onto that love regardless. We follow A2 as she learns mentally and physically to be more like 2B. She reconnects with Anemone, and forms a bond with Pascal. The old A2 would have just killed 9S in the final fight, but instead she either sacrifices herself to save him or hesitates on the killing blow due to 2B's final wish.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 25, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In the duel at the end 9S looks like Eve with the red eyes and the black stuff kind of covering his face. Like he's turning into the same thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A2 and 2B are practically the same person, except that 9S hates one and loved the other. Even though A2 only killed 2B because she was infected and did it with 2B's blessing and 2B gave her her legacy. That's human nature.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

In the duel at the end 9S looks like Eve with the red eyes and the black stuff kind of covering his face. Like he's turning into the same thing.

It was weird at the end of A/B when he gets corrupted and starts magnetizing all the metal that Eve was previously manipulating as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

This

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are you guys playing on hard? Because while it wasn't exactly the most fun boss, it wasn't that bad.
I was playing on hard and thought the boss was pretty cool, albeit a bit chaotic? I almost ate it before i noticed how quickly the berserk mode drains your hp, but once that was done i didn't use it again and simple dodge chaining + missile pod got me through it rather casually, and the boss has huge windows for auto-heal to kick in. I had less trouble beating it first try than the insanely weird timing of the Engels/Pascal minigame (which has far worse checkpointing and obviously doesn't let you heal in any way), and it was spectacularly flashy, at least.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible if you have enough prior experience with shmups. I didn't see any unfairness in the patterns, they were just hard as balls.
I think the names have progressively more HP, and taking them out with 7x "helpers" shots takes considerable time towards the end, so going solo the last name alone would likely take over a minute of constant fire, far longer if your shots get blocked by the orange bullets. Unless there's other mechanics to help you even with TAS style frame advance you'd simply get overwhelmed - though I'm sure someone will eventually test it out with CheatEngine at some point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monomythian posted:

I took it as the machines missing the point of what being human entails, much like the androids. The whole scenario reminds me a lot of Dark City: just as the Strangers inject people with various archetypical personalities (the hooker with a heart of gold, the hardboiled detective, the serial killer, etc.), the machines create different communities representative of different aspects of humanity, and the androids manufacture different models who fulfill different tasks in combat, all under the assumption that it's the "features" of a human being - the easily explained surface elements and quirks of personality - that make someone human. In Automata, what makes someone human is being connected to another in a deep, meaningful way. Pascal is the closest thing the machines manage to make to being human, because it's patently obvious that he's not playing house: his devastation is real, and it's the fault of the Terminals that they don't realize how profound the creation of an entity like Pascal is.

Tarezax posted:

I see A2 as a version of 2B who took a different path when faced with the loss of loved ones. A2 throws herself into killing machines and cuts off all contact with others, while 2B is clearly tormented by her love of 9S and her duty to kill him but holds onto that love regardless. We follow A2 as she learns mentally and physically to be more like 2B. She reconnects with Anemone, and forms a bond with Pascal. The old A2 would have just killed 9S in the final fight, but instead she either sacrifices herself to save him or hesitates on the killing blow due to 2B's final wish.

She serves as a very important foil to 9S, which is probably why she was included. This is made especially obvious during the entire Tower sequence, as the entire design of the tower is "upside down": 9S has become an unhinged killer, and A2 has becoming a loving saint.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone said that past a certain point, their shots just started passing through names without hitting them, meaning it's actually impossible.

My current plan is to 100% the game on my current save, then sacrifice it, and start a new save on hard, since I've done normal this whole time.

Edit: ^ I'm not sure the the red girls were directly having machines do thise things. The archives I read said they just increased entropy in the machines learning so they would learn about more stuff that wasn't applicable to combat. So that they would be less efficient fighters, so that they wouldn't win.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 25, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

OddObserver posted:

I really like the people that compare Pod 042 and Pod 153 to the Greek Chorus in old Greek theater, except in a postmodern twist, the Greek Chorus upends the system to forge a new ending.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

So she's just 2B but angrier? With an even more tragic past? I dunno if I missed like a huge chunk of backstory that would make me care about her somehow but I had like 80% completion on side quests and all the main routes so if it's more hidden then that...

Yeah she is, but the game sure as poo poo goes out of its way not to say that. I probably had 90% completion for everything before I finally deleted my save and I still didn't find anything concerning A2 expect the book she finds in the tower (which you have to remember and read, because it doesn't show it to you at the time). I think there is something on the terminal in the camp too but its super easy to miss.

The document is pretty interesting. It's about how A2s incredible fighting potential and betrayal surprised the Red Girls despite all indications otherwise. This caused them to use her body and mind as the base for models like YoRHa androids like 2B because such potential to go beyond their calculations would speed up their evolution radically.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Yeah she is, but the game sure as poo poo goes out of its way not to say that. I probably had 90% completion for everything before I finally deleted my save and I still didn't find anything concerning A2 expect the book she finds in the tower (which you have to remember and read, because it doesn't show it to you at the time). I think there is something on the terminal in the camp too but its super easy to miss.

The document is pretty interesting. It's about how A2s incredible fighting potential and betrayal surprised the Red Girls despite all indications otherwise. This caused them to use her body and mind as the base for models like YoRHa androids like 2B because such potential to go beyond their calculations would speed up their evolution radically.

I'm pretty sure that document is an internal Project YoRHa report that the machines stole off the Bunker's server before it was scuttled

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Monomythian posted:

There was definitely more room for 2B to develop as a character, but thematically, her getting killed for real was fitting. Loss is a major part of the story and having the supposed protagonist permanently die halfway through the game was great. Her being resurrected wouldn't have ruined the story for me, but keeping her dead was ballsy and I appreciated that.

The biggest problem I have with the game happens to be about the part I liked the most.

Ending E spoiler: Calling for help during the credits was the greatest thing I've seen in gaming in a while. I want everyone who plays this to experience that moment themselves and not have to resort to looking up the ending on the internet. If you don't have a network connection during that part you're going to miss out.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 25, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Edit: ^ I'm not sure the the red girls were directly having machines do thise things. The archives I read said they just increased entropy in the machines learning so they would learn about more stuff that wasn't applicable to combat. So that they would be less efficient fighters, so that they wouldn't win.

According to Jackass's report, the "deficiencies" in the network that led to the creation of Pascal and the Forest King happened before the Terminals appeared, although the deficiencies were still initiated intentionally.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Motherfucker (A/B) gently caress these runaway Resistance assholes! I did their quest and coughed up the 50k they wanted on my A run. Now I'm on B and I just got to the village for the first time, and HERE THEY ARE AGAIN as if I never gave them anything. Now they're gonna ask me to go back to the factory to get their poo poo and then tell me to fork over the 50k again. Goddamn it. Is this quest actually worth doing? Like, is there a weapon in it for me or anything. I want to tell them to gently caress off.

Seriously. ALL MY MONEY. :argh:

Oxxidation posted:

Has anyone else noticed a weird "iris" effect when playing this? The corners of my TV during gameplay seem darker than usual, making it look like the game's being viewed through an eye or something. Don't know if it's just me being neurotic.

You're not, I noticed it too doing the desert relic garbage where the screen is largely the same color. There's a faintly darker border around the screen. Made me freak out for a moment because I thought I'd burned the pause menu shapes into my tv or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

melodicwaffle posted:

Motherfucker (A/B) gently caress these runaway Resistance assholes! I did their quest and coughed up the 50k they wanted on my A run. Now I'm on B and I just got to the village for the first time, and HERE THEY ARE AGAIN as if I never gave them anything. Now they're gonna ask me to go back to the factory to get their poo poo and then tell me to fork over the 50k again. Goddamn it. Is this quest actually worth doing? Like, is there a weapon in it for me or anything. I want to tell them to gently caress off.

You're not, I noticed it too doing the desert relic garbage where the screen is largely the same color. There's a faintly darker border around the screen. Made me freak out for a moment because I thought I'd burned the pause menu shapes into my tv or something.

You didn't finish the quest! Owned.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So for path C Does it matter who you play as? I picked A2 until it forced me to pick 9S. If I picked 9S first would anything be different?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

melodicwaffle posted:

The Wandering Couple quest is worth ot for the ending of the quest.

"Women can be scary"

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So for path C Does it matter who you play as? I picked A2 until it forced me to pick 9S. If I picked 9S first would anything be different?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

SHISHKABOB posted:

You didn't finish the quest! Owned.

Trolled by Cavia... :negative:

So how do I finish that quest then? Nothing popped up telling me to do something after that.