Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Flikken posted:

You were a Ft. McClellan MP weren't you?

No, I'm only 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

80s James Hetfield posted:

No, I'm only 36.

Username and post don't check out.

Spy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So I got 54th Combat Engineer Battalion as my sub unit in 173rd, and am about to get some sort of cool award at the end of AIT. FTX was cool, and soon I'm off to airborne school. And my best battlebro got Italy, too!

I'm really enjoying the Army!
However I broke my fibia on my right side, so gotta hope it won't give in at the airborne school.

I would've preferred infantry or scouts, but atleast BEB is not BSB or HQ Company.

The four dudes who got flight medic spots before me deserved them. Two regular flight medics, two SOAR candidates. All four really badass dudes and dudettes, one of them being the first female SOAR Medic Candidate that I have a privilege to call as friend. All honestly better picks than me.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 25, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

So I got 54th Combat Engineer Battalion as my sub unit in 173rd, and am about to get some sort of cool award at the end of AIT. FTX was cool, and soon I'm off to airborne school. And my best battlebro got Italy, too!

However I broke my fibia on my right side, so gotta hope it won't give in at the airborne school.

I would've preferred infantry or scouts, but atleast BEB is not BSB or HQ Company.

The four dudes who got flight medic spots before me deserved them. Two regular flight medics, two SOAR candidates. All four really badass dudes and dudettes, one of them being the first female SOAR Medic Candidate that I have a privilege to call as friend. All honestly better picks than me.

Please get, and retain, printed records of all your injuries. You are an invincible superman, but many years from now, the older you will be glad you have that stuff.

*fake edit* DO NOT assume that the digital record of anything will be around. I have personally watched entire swathes of Soldier data completely erased forever due to programming mistakes in server updates. PRINT. THAT. poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Forums Poster MLMP08 who vehemently for years told me to not enlist has ensured that I've already done all that. But I do appreciate it. I got a folder of my medical papers, plus I've uploded them to my G Drive.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

Reading this make my feel physically ill. Whose shoe will drop first, Mustang or Vahakyla?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i bet mustang

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

Forums Poster MLMP08 who vehemently for years told me to not enlist has ensured that I've already done all that. But I do appreciate it. I got a folder of my medical papers, plus I've uploded them to my G Drive.

Make copies and send it to your parents to keep for you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wish I could go back to when I thought a coin, COA, or AAM was a cool award and not a slap in the face

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

When I got to my unit they were already deployed and the Rear-D guys took all of the replacements into a basement and smoked the poo poo out of us every day after we were released while calling us pieces of poo poo for like the first two months. I'm guessing thats not allowed anymore now though.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I wish I could go back to when I thought a coin, COA, or AAM was a cool award and not a slap in the face

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I wish I could go back to when I thought a coin, COA, or AAM was a cool award

I make some pretty boss COA though. Like, I use the good paper and everything.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Vahakayla. He's going Airborne. The 173rd, although not 82nd gay, is still super gay. He may not have been assigned to an infantry battalion, but that just means they'll be extra gay to make up for the fact.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Pesticide20 posted:

Vahakayla. He's going Airborne. The 173rd, although not 82nd gay, is still super gay. He may not have been assigned to an infantry battalion, but that just means they'll be extra gay to make up for the fact.

I wonder if the Asian kid from my old brigade that killed himself in a guard tower in Afghanistan because of insanely bad hazing got a cool reward at the end of AIT too.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I met the most Captain America, built as like super soldier looking mother fucker from the 173d and even he laughed at their "combat jump" into iraq. I can't remember specifically but I even think he was there for it and thought it was a joke.

Like even 82nd wasn't as brazenly medal chasing as 173d and thats saying something.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just think that I'll look hella cool with that maroon hat, is all. My wife agrees that Vicenza looks hella cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol @ enjoying wearing a wool beret

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dude is looking forward to the worst hat. you're army as gently caress lol.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
fun fact you can wear a beret even NOT in the army and you'd look like a weirdo piece of poo poo, nothing about being in the army makes it any less awful unless you buy into all that army bullshit

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Hat Simulator 2017 - US Army Edition

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
actually this hat represents ??????????????????

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Guess who is now also in Yakima :suicide:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

dude is looking forward to the worst hat. you're army as gently caress lol.

lol

I got some cool awards too in Iraq and this is what my company did for months after we got back. Our hats were black though so ymmv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eHPgD7dK0

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if hats are so cool because of uh legacy and history and poo poo then please by all means wear a steel helmet everywhere you go because I promise if you're going to use WWII poo poo as the legacy of your unit its more honest

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Obstacle2 posted:

lol

I got some cool awards too in Iraq and this is what my company did for months after we got back. Our hats were black though so ymmv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eHPgD7dK0

you were actually in that unit?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Team Fortress 2 actually a US Military Recruiting Tool? You decide tonight on "All things Considered"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

Guess who is now also in Yakima :suicide:

Plenty of fun here for everyone

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

you were actually in that unit?

Yes I'm the guy after the one who rubs his dick.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Obstacle2 posted:

Yes I'm the guy after the one who rubs his dick.

i'll take your word for it because I can't make it more than 30 seconds into that video

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

I just think that I'll look hella cool with that maroon hat, is all. My wife agrees that Vicenza looks hella cool.

It can be. Don't go out with the Joes. Avoid Blue, Kiss Kiss, Boys, and Luxor. Try to not get stabbed by a Moroccan. Do go to Lake Garda and Jesolo. Travel as much as possible as often as possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Finnish dude joins the US military and gets sent to Italy. Or Germany, because I think most of their units are actually in Germany at this point.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Finnish dude joins the US military and gets sent to Italy. Or Germany, because I think most of their units are actually in Germany at this point.

Back in 2013 the 173d consolidated everything in Vicenza, actually. I think Vahakayla will be at the new base, Caserma Del Din. He will, however, spend a lot of time training in Germany. Pretty much no training can be done in Italy because of Italian law and the only range that allows heavy weapons is on the Mediterranean coast. If it's too windy the Italians won't let you shoot, and it's often windy at that range. Instead, the training is done at Grafenwoehr and Hohenfels at JMRC, and includes a lot of training with European allies. While I was there it was pretty typically a month in Italy and then a month in Germany.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Everyone I have met in he 173rd have talked poo poo behind my back but didn't realize I had his lav mic on and was recording.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gimme sum of dat grunt poo poo y'all

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

gimme sum of dat grunt poo poo y'all

Surprised nobody made that his av

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

173rd (2-503 at least) seemed like it was okay but it was my only unit so who knows

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Eastern and Northern Yakima is pretty country during the spring. Off road maneuver at night with almost no illum in a Stryker is loving terrifying though

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That terror you feel is the subconscious realization that your life is in the hands of a nineteen year old private who may or may not have the requisite training and experience to navigate a top-heavy twenty ton vehicle over, across, and through a myriad of potentially life-ending obstacles in a state of near-complete sensory deprivation, physical exhaustion, and substance withdrawal.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Eastern and Northern Yakima is pretty country during the spring. Off road maneuver at night with almost no illum in a Stryker is loving terrifying though

It won't be scary when you have a driver that doesn't suck. Experienced drivers can do a lot with that little IR camera.

Alternatively you could miss a bridge in Iraq and plummet off a cliff like the brigade tac that replaced us did.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
And odds are there's a couple of people sticking halfway out the top who are 100% going to die if when it flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Basically, yeah, it boils down to the driver. A legit good driver (who also isn't a retard) can make a Stryker move like a loving rocket. A retarded driver won't even have the chance to kill you because he'll be too busy claiming that the engine fire caused by oil starvation wasn't his fault (and you'll get stranded on the wrong side of the pass lol).

Also, you can totally jump a Stryker and it's totally and completely badass.