Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This article just makes me fear that a Kris Bryant career-derailing injury is imminent.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2017/03/21/kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-born-win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

This article just makes me fear that a Kris Bryant career-derailing injury is imminent.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2017/03/21/kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-born-win

This article only serves to remind me how much of an utter failure I am next to KB.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

What ever happened to accusations of him drugging and raping a woman in Chicago last season? Last I heard the woman had a rape kit done but then wasn't cooperating with the police and I can't find any stories more recent than last July.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I actually have legitimate worries about MLB getting bonus baby players into the country from the DR if the immigration is going to tighten their buttholes about every little details.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Popete posted:

This article only serves to remind me how much of an utter failure I am next to KB.

Hell, there are plenty of baseball MVPs with all kinds of things going for them that are utter failures next to KB. He's like the Tom Brady of baseball (not in terms of championships obviously).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I agree, he's a real piece of poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nail Rat posted:

Hell, there are plenty of baseball MVPs with all kinds of things going for them that are utter failures next to KB. He's like the Tom Brady of baseball (not in terms of championships obviously).

Not YET...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Pussy Boss posted:

Heyman's saying Sandoval won the 3rd base job.

Kung Fu Panda rides again :cool:

I assumed this was a given when they sent Shaw packing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Turns out Coghlan was a hero

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I thought the funniest outcome would be that he finds out he LOVES alcohol after that sip then becomes a fat rear end in a top hat with mediocre skills (seriously everyone is a failure compared to him;he'll probably end up being president after he retires)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I assumed this was a given when they sent Shaw packing.

There was always the fall back position of a Holt/Rutledge platoon.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm in sunny West Palm Beach and just watched the Nats lose to the Cards. Matt Adams is svelte. I swear he lost 60 pounds. He looked incredible and played LF well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/beckjason/status/845367039715938304

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Soul Glo posted:

Fat guys are good in/for baseball imo

:yeah:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tadashi posted:

I actually have legitimate worries about MLB getting bonus baby players into the country from the DR if the immigration is going to tighten their buttholes about every little details.

OTOH, Kang seems less like "little details" and more "has some real issues"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Especially if they're also old. Keep the dream alive for the rest of us!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Intruder posted:

Turns out Coghlan was a hero
Or maybe ending Kang's season and loving over the Pirates in the playoffs allowed Kang go down the dark path he has chosen

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Or maybe ending Kang's season and loving over the Pirates in the playoffs allowed Kang go down the dark path he has chosen

I'd say that's a reasonable defense of drunk driving.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

achillesforever6 posted:

If nothing else the sports documentary would be interesting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Popete posted:

I'd say that's a reasonable defense of drunk driving.
Either way I don't think we need Kang anymore because obviously based on Spring training the Pirates are going all the way to win the World Series.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Maybe its my Canadian upbringing which might be more European family style view towards drinking, but the fact Bryant hadn't ever had a drink even as a 20+ year old MLB pro seems really dorky and possibly creepy religious or sheltered. It would be very weird for a high school senior to not have an occasional drink or two here in Canada, even the nerds or dorks. I hope he's not saving himself for marriage too, haha.

edit : Is he Mormon or Jehovas' Witness?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

patonthebach posted:

Maybe its my Canadian upbringing which might be more European family style view towards drinking, but the fact Bryant hadn't ever had a drink even as a 20+ year old MLB pro seems really dorky and possibly creepy religious or sheltered. It would be very weird for a high school senior to not have an occasional drink or two here in Canada, even the nerds or dorks. I hope he's not saving himself for marriage too, haha.

edit : Is he Mormon or Jehovas' Witness?

America's drinking age is 21 and while most high school students start drinking, not all of them do.

There are even some of us who don't drink at all, baffling as that might be.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Lol the Angels just no-hit the Mariners in a spring training game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird to have never so much as tasted alcohol, yeah, anime man

edit: that article is about drinking in the last week, not ever

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 25, 2017

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

30% of adults in the US don't drink at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

Bryant not drinking isn't any kind of deal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your physical health is pretty important as a professional athlete and alcohol tends to degrade your physical health.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
for every drink that Bryant forgoes, Kang drinks two

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's just that it's weird that he seems to fetishize it so much it's like "man when we win the world series I'm gonna have a drink!!!" like he's going all the way after prom. But then he chickens out even after having won a world series because for some reason taking a drink would literally change who he is as a person. I do drink sometimes and it seems to have less of a bearing on who I am as a person than this guy who doesnt drink

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 25, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

it's just that it's weird that he seems to fetishize it so much it's like "man when we win the world series I'm gonna have a drink!!!" like he's going all the way after prom. But then he chickens out even after having won a world series because for some reason taking a drink would literally change who he is as a person. I do drink sometimes and it seems to have less of a bearing on who I am as a person than this guy who doesnt drink

This.

Like I said, maybe the culture you guys have in USA is different where its so much more hammered drunk vs stone cold sober. In Canada its not a big deal for a 17 year old (or 20 or whatever) to have 1 or 3 beers at a social gathering. The same people who don't have a single beer by the time they are 20 are likely 1- super religious 2- super awkward (or autismo) or 3 - some combination of the above or possibly grew up with alcoholic parents or something.

Its the same way I'd assume a bit about someone if they told me they were a virgin at 21 or 25...

30% of americans not drinking probably includes like 5% of former alcoholics, 5% medical / old, 10% super religious, etc.

edit : That being said, of all the people to forgoe alcohol completely, a pro athlete is the one that has the most money riding on it , and makes the most sense. Just hard to imagine an average guy not having a single drink in college or whatever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

patonthebach posted:

That being said, of all the people to forgoe alcohol completely, a pro athlete is the one that has the most money riding on it , and makes the most sense. Just hard to imagine an average guy not having a single drink in college or whatever.

I've tried alcohol and I haven't found any type of alcoholic drink that I like the taste of, so I don't drink at all.

Even in college.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
my god what a weirdo

*continues to cheer everything colby rasmus does*

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Psssh, if it was good enough for Jimmie Foxx it's good enough for me.

*destroys life with booze but is happy while doing it*

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I've tried alcohol and I haven't found any type of alcoholic drink that I like the taste of, so I don't drink at all.

Even in college.

I think they're more startled that he has never had a drink ever . You have tried it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What if Bryant is lying

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The article mentions that his parents drank a little bit when he was growing up so I don't think it's a weirdo religious thing it's just something he chose not to do probably because he was too busy winning every award related to baseball. I had a good friend in college who had never tried alcohol and he constantly got ribbed for it since we were in Wisconsin were everyone grows up drinking, but eventually we gave up trying to get him to try it and just accepted that he doesn't drink. I bet his teammates give him poo poo for it all the time so it just became a joke that he would do it.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I think it's weirder to look down on somebody just because they choose not to drink. That says more about you than him. And that's coming from someone who is no stranger to a fifth or two

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Care Bear Stairs posted:

I think it's weirder to look down on somebody just because they choose not to drink. That says more about you than him. And that's coming from someone who is no stranger to a fifth or two

People get super offended sometimes when I tell them I don't drink or do any drugs and haven't ever in my life (age 33). They take it as a judgment thing, like I think I'm better than they are. I just qualify it now by making sure they know it's because of the Olympic-level addiction in my family history and my own issues with impulse control. Once it's clear to them that it's a problem with me, not them, most people calm down.

To get back to baseball, Puerto Rico and Team USA are still throwing shade at one another: http://deadspin.com/the-wbc-is-over-but-the-trash-talk-isnt-1793600279

Americans? Being upset at another country for having fun? Why, I never!

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
People that young are just weird. My boss' kid is getting married this weekend (he's 23 or 24) and he almost had a meltdown when his parents told him he needed to have alcohol at the wedding or people would hate it. It's apparently going to be dry. I'm not going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

IMB posted:

People that young are just weird. My boss' kid is getting married this weekend (he's 23 or 24) and he almost had a meltdown when his parents told him he needed to have alcohol at the wedding or people would hate it. It's apparently going to be dry. I'm not going.

Well yeah, that's a dick move. Don't push your lifestyle on someone else. No alcohol, caffeine, meat or dessert for me. I still serve drinks, coffee, desserts and meat when I have people over for dinner. That's just manners, plus fried chicken skins or stewed blackberries, gin and bay leaf custard are just fun to make. I assume Kris Bryant doesn't judge his teammates for drinking. If he did I figure John Lackey would have killed him by now.

• Locked thread