Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Holy poo poo does Life have a kick-to-the-bits ending.

So Jake Gyllenhaal's character plans to trap the alien with him in an escape pod, and he'll fly it away from Earth to ensure that the alien won't get to it. At the same time, the Commander Lady is going to take another escape to Earth. It's edited quite well, with JG struggling with the alien as his pod tumbles away from earth, and Commander Lady's serenely lands on Earth.

Until the last beats of the movie reveals that the director was loving with you. The tumbling pod? That's Commander Lady screaming into the void as her pod tumbles off into space. Jg's pod, filled to the brim with Alien Goop, serenely lands and is opened by some fishermen, as JG begs them not to open it.

Earth is hosed.

At this point it's a surprise when a horror movie doesn't end with the monster escaped, the world is doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
T2 Trainspotting has naked Ewan McGregor, but no Ewan McGregor penis, in case anyone was wondering.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I had seen a few episodes of Steven Universe here and there, but nobody told me that one of these gems is a charming goofball with crippling depression... this is the most relatable poo poo I've seen, ever!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I followed it pretty religiously for a while, but man, they really seem to be flying by the seat of their pants.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh man, I had seen a few episodes of Steven Universe here and there, but nobody told me that one of these gems is a charming goofball with crippling depression... this is the most relatable poo poo I've seen, ever!!

That describes like three characters

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Watched Life. It was dumb schlock that made no sense, and ryan reynolds plays deadpool. it was great. expect direct to dvd sequels.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

glam rock hamhock posted:

That describes like three characters

I'm... intrigued

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FishBulb posted:

Yeah. That's some garbage rear end news

Besides I thought he was supposed to direct Cameron's bad anime thing.

Battle Angel Alita owns, and it's exactly the kind of relatively straightforward story that Cameron would do well with. Robert Rodriguez I'm less confident in but even so.

Also, god drat Elizabeth Banks is a treasure, has she played an exaggerated sneering villain in anything else?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So the Donkey Kong Country cartoon is up on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2SY_gth2BQ

What the gently caress am I watching

e: no seriously what in the gently caress, who thought this was on any level a good idea?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: no seriously what in the gently caress, who thought this was on any level a good idea?

Early CGI was a special time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esvneBX7ino

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this point it's a surprise when a horror movie doesn't end with the monster escaped, the world is doomed.

Every single X-files episode in Season 1 ends that way.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

It's weird to me that they made it PG-13 because the whole appeal of the original was just "YO LOOK AT MY TITS!".

Skwirl posted:

T2 Trainspotting has naked Ewan McGregor, but no Ewan McGregor penis, in case anyone was wondering.

When he showed his peen in Velvet Goldmine no one knew he was going to do that because it wasn't in the script and he wasn't asked to do it.

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Watched Life. It was dumb schlock that made no sense, and ryan reynolds plays deadpool. it was great. expect direct to dvd sequels.

I'm still waiting on an answer to the question of whether or not it's basically a grimdark version of The Green Slime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CPL593H posted:

It's weird to me that they made it PG-13 because the whole appeal of the original was just "YO LOOK AT MY TITS!".

there's a huge contingent of people who've never read a book in their life and think Ghost in the Shell makes groundbreaking statements about the nature of consciousness and poo poo, and isn't just two seasons of boring police procedural and one well-animated movie out of three

there are, evidently, enough of them that it's plausibly viable to market to them first and horndogs second

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

You're not wrong, but it still hit me like a pile of bricks, in part to how well it was edited. Plus, just the idea of screaming as your pod is flung into deep space, or being cocooned by an invasive species and begging people who cant speak your language to not free you from your pod. Ugh, creepy.

Like, there's a part where one of the scenes is the briefly-malfunctioning autopilot controls on an escape pod. It's static, but then fixes itself and confirms the pod is going down to Earth. That scene is sandwhiched between shots of Rebecca Ferguson's face, so it makes you think that the events are connected. Instead, nope, those were cutaways to the other pod.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Things kids who play video games love:

-Bad musical numbers
-Drama about things like baking contests and talking coconuts
-Horrendous animation
-Racist accents

Things kids who play video games hate

-Violence
-Adventure
-Stakes
-Competent villains

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's a huge contingent of people who've never read a book in their life and think Ghost in the Shell makes groundbreaking statements about the nature of consciousness and poo poo, and isn't just two seasons of boring police procedural and one well-animated movie out of three

there are, evidently, enough of them that it's plausibly viable to market to them first and horndogs second

I really never understood the appeal of Ghost in the Shell and I think you just explained it to me. I didn't watch the show, I just saw the first movie and was like "Seriously, that's it?".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

5 years ago I woulda been stoked.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I really never understood the appeal of Ghost in the Shell and I think you just explained it to me. I didn't watch the show, I just saw the first movie and was like "Seriously, that's it?".

The first movie tones down a lot of the philosophy stuff in favor of being an action movie, but it's a drat good action movie. While I will say the show isn't, like, incredibly deep or anything, it's pretty clever at times, and the movie looks like it's had all the cleverness surgically sucked out of it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've never seen or read anything GITS-related, but i've skimmed over some Wikipedia articles about the source material before and the movie looks sorta cool, so i'll probably catch a matinee.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first season of the rebooted PowerPuff Girls is on Hulu. I just watched the first episode. It wasn't bad? I expected it to be the Teen Titans Go backlash, and I guess I was right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first season of the rebooted PowerPuff Girls is on Hulu. I just watched the first episode. It wasn't bad? I expected it to be the Teen Titans Go backlash, and I guess I was right.

It's not terrible but it really is a show that doesn't do a thing with the property. Like it manages to both not really do some of the stuff that defined the original while also not really doing anything if it's own. It's just sorta there.

Still, the internet is mainly focused on Mojo Jojo not taking funny anymore and the Powerpuff Girls twerking at one point

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lurdiak posted:

Things cool dudes who play video games love:

-Bad musical numbers
-Drama about things like baking contests and talking coconuts
-Horrendous animation
-Racist accents

Hellz yeah. :c00l:

Also, it's like you've never even heard of Mario.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Would love to direct an Escape from New York musical, so much rhymes with Snake

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

When he showed his peen in Velvet Goldmine no one knew he was going to do that because it wasn't in the script and he wasn't asked to do it.

I brought it up because you see his penis in the first one, and you see his penis in a lot of movies around that time, so I was a little disapointed this time around because I wanted to know what it looked like after twenty years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

wyoming posted:

Hellz yeah. :c00l:

Also, it's like you've never even heard of Mario.

Mario was funny and had tons of adventures. They were wacky but they weren't asinine. I mean the Super Mario Bros. Super Show was hardly art, but it sure leaves something like the donkey kong country cartoon in the dust.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think wyoming's point was that racist accents have been part of video gaming for a long time.

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Last Laugh, correct?

Yeah. It's the only intertitle in the entire film, too, which makes it all the more memorable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I bought a real cheap 3-pack of The Thing, Land of the Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake on Blu. I'm watching The Thing and the opening always makes me wanna play with a dog in the snow.

That dog's shot to be menacing later on, but it looks like it's having a lot of fun tromping through that snow.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't think she's supposed to be nude in his version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCyXVEVpKk

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Watching the "Channel Criswell" analysis of Taxi Driver was rly helpful for me in terms of understanding why I've always had trouble uhh, directly connecting(?) with that movie. Which I think is just that at this point in my life I don't have an understanding of how someone can reject other people wholesale or feel the way Travis does towards others. That sort of misanthropy just feels alien to me, Travis's responses to the world don't make sense to me and I completely struggle to find any point of connection with them.
I figure its something I'll appreciate more w/ time

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

plz dont pull out posted:

Early CGI was a special time

It was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dIJLUVEOY

CPL593H posted:

Saw it when I was like early teens and had no idea what was going on, but the visuals were great. Rewatched it again for the first time a couple weeks ago and honestly thought it was pretty amazing. It breaks a bunch of movie conventions that the remake (according to the plot synopsis at least) is intent on ramming right back in.

How will I relate to a character if he/she isn't literally Neo?

What I love about GitS is that it takes its time, it lets the entire atmosphere breathe. There's several minutes of just imagery of the city, it's great.

Followed it up by watching Innocence and an episode of the anime and they're not really worth your time. They're anime as gently caress. Even more anime than the original film, which has giant mecha tanks and nude lady ninja terminators.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't have an understanding of how someone can reject other people wholesale or feel the way Travis does towards others. That sort of misanthropy just feels alien to me,

You've obviously never worked in retail.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

Anyone else here see a bottle of Michelob Ultra and immediately think MKUltra?

Haha, yes. This is an opinion I share rarely, if ever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
im going to start thinking of Clickhole sharing AV Club articles on Facebook as stealth owns

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only thing the word "ultra" makes me think of is MKULTRA, or neonazi European football hooligans.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only thing the word "ultra" makes me think of is MKULTRA, or neonazi European football hooligans.

MKUltra makes me think of Mortal Kombat Ultra, which I don't think is a real thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Biodome posted:

MKUltra makes me think of Mortal Kombat Ultra, which I don't think is a real thing.

There is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wasn't Ultra the sham label that Konami set up to get around Nintendo's "you can only release five NES games per year" policy?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Timby posted:

Wasn't Ultra the sham label that Konami set up to get around Nintendo's "you can only release five NES games per year" policy?

Yep. They brought out Metal Gear, Skate or Die and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles under that label IIRC

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
All I remember about GITS: Innocence is that it replays a five-minute scene like five times in a row to make a point about the power of memory and also budget constraints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

morestuff posted:

All I remember about GITS: Innocence is that it replays a five-minute scene like five times in a row to make a point about the power of memory and also budget constraints

Soulless CGI and that scene, which might still be the only interesting part of the film.

• Locked thread